Best of the Best Defencemen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Best of the Best Defencemen

So CBC is looking at fan input for the best of the best in a bunch of different categories. Right now they're looking at best d-man post expansion

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/bestofthebest/2010/11/best-of-the-best-defencemen.html#socialcomments

Obviously, Orr is number one, but most of the fans so far that have responded haven't even put Bourque in their top five. What???
    The leader among d-men in points, goals and assists and he's getting no respect? With all due respect to Potvin, Robinson, Park, Leetch, Salming, and Neidermayer, I think the only competition Bourque has for the number two spot is Lidstrom.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bhanlon156. Show bhanlon156's posts

Re: Best of the Best Defencemen

Orr, Robinson, Bourque, Lidstrom, Potvin

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Orr, Robinson, Potvin, Lidstrom, Niedermayer

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

BTW Nobody listens to Bruin fans who have obsessions with posting photos of half naked men...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Best of the Best Defencemen:
    [QUOTE]Orr, Robinson, Bourque, Lidstrom, Potvin
    Posted by bhanlon156[/QUOTE]

Our top five are the same, just in a different order - Orr, Bourque, Lidstrom, Robinson, Potvin.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Orr, Bourque, Potvin, Lidstrom, Robinson

Sorry if that copies someone from above.  I didn't want to be swayed, so I scrolled down quickly and posted.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Orr, Lindstrom, Bourque, Robinson, Neidermayer

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Best of the Best Defencemen:
    [QUOTE]Orr, Bourque, Potvin, Lidstrom, Robinson Sorry if that copies someone from above.  I didn't want to be swayed, so I scrolled down quickly and posted.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

You picked the same 5, just a different order, only difference so far has been neidermayer over potvin.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Orr, Robinson, Lindstrom, Bourque, Stevens

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Best of the Best Defencemen:
    [QUOTE]So CBC is looking at fan input for the best of the best in a bunch of different categories. Right now they're looking at best d-man post expansion http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/bestofthebest/2010/11/best-of-the-best-defencemen.html#socialcomments Obviously, Orr is number one, but most of the fans so far that have responded haven't even put Bourque in their top five. What??? The leader among d-men in points, goals and assists and he's getting no respect? With all due respect to Potvin, Robinson, Park, Leetch, Salming, and Neidermayer, I think the only competition Bourque has for the number two spot is Lidstrom.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Read the comments cbc.com, the defensemen ranking starts with Orr then it is a matter of debating what skills are emphasized.  Lidstrom is number two imo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

1.Orr
    2.Orr
    3.Orr
    4.Orr
    5.Orr
    Okay, okay, I guess that's not allowed.

How about this?
    Orr, Bourque, Lidstrom, Potvin, Robinson/Neidermayer (tie).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I liked Potvin.  I respected Big Bird.  I don't have the same reverence for Lidstrom that many do, but I acknowledge that he's a best-of-his-era defenseman.  Guys like Leetch, I start asking who was better Leetch or Phil Housley?  Leetch or Al MacInnis?  Leetch or Paul Coffey?  Leetch or Chris Pronger?  And once you start comparing guys to second tier superstars, they aren't top five.

Bourque is #2.  If you think differently, you weren't watching.  For about 5 years from '87 to "the goal" by Lemieux in the playoffs, he was almost flawless.  Since Orr, he's the only defenseman to come close to winning the Hart, and he should have won it over Messier.  He lost on politics.

Robinson, Lidstrom, Potvin.  Not sure who, other than Coffey, would even deserve to be in the discussion.