Best Replacement for Bergy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Best Replacement for Bergy?

Well, Bergeron's injury has left a huge whole in the Bruins lineup. The second line was critical during the first two matchups. Now Julien is faced with the tough decision: Who replaces Bergy on the second line ?

What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Re: Best Replacement for Bergy?

It's already decided-- Kelly

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Bitz

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peanator. Show Peanator's posts

Kelly is the best to replace Bergy.....He's a hard worker & and a great 2 way forward....He definetly desserved it ! Coaching staff made a great choice !

3-1 Bruins saturday...The 3rd goal in an empty net !

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fcukhabs. Show fcukhabs's posts

whitfield

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

BRUINS 6   TB  2

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I know what CJ is thinking: Whitfield.....just kidding...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I say Seguin and just make the Seguin, Marchand, Recci line the 3rd line

duhhhh

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Best Replacement for Bergy?:
    Bitz
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

I was thinking Stevie Heinze or Ted Donato...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Its not a question, its aleady been decided: Kelly, and its spelled Peverley btw

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Its not a question, its aleady been decided: Kelly, and its spelled Peverley btw
    Posted by thedauber1

Thanks Duaber!  I'm just polling everyone to see if the results agree with
     Julien's decision.  So far it does.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

Would love to see that line stay together.....and have Marchand-Seguin-Recchi as a line.  Those guys play the same style, I believe Marchand w/ Seguin is going to be a ridiculous combo for years to come!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I know Kelly has already been pencilled in, but I prefer Peverley centering Marchand/Recchi.  Peverley brings skill-set very similar to Bergeron, including the ability to play in all situations.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

I know Kelly has already been pencilled in, but I prefer Peverley centering Marchand/Recchi.  Peverley brings skill-set very similar to Bergeron, including the ability to play in all situations.
    Posted by Crowls2424

I disagree with this.  I think Kelly is much more in the Bergeron mold than Peverley.  Especially on Faceoffs/Defensive Zone/Board play/Effort.  Don't get me wrong Peverley is a good player but he's a little more offensive minded with the puck and IMO tends to try to go coast-to-coast a little bit too often.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Best Replacement for Bergy? : I disagree with this.  I think Kelly is much more in the Bergeron mold than Peverley.  Especially on Faceoffs/Defensive Zone/Board play/Effort.  Don't get me wrong Peverley is a good player but he's a little more offensive minded with the puck and IMO tends to try to go coast-to-coast a little bit too often.
    Posted by mb30

2010-11 Playoff FO%
    Kelly: 39 for 87 = 44.8%
    Peverley: 29 for 64 = 45.3%

2010-11 Regular Season FO%
    Kelly: 466 for 916 = 50.9% (47th in the NHL)
    Peverley: 657 for 1176 = 55.9% (13th in the NHL)

2009-10 Regular Season FO%
    Kelly: 408 for 894 = 45.6% (78th in the NHL)
    Peverley: 647 for 1193 = 54.2% (14th in the NHL)

Conclusion:  Peverley is better than Kelly on faceoffs.

I also disagree with your effort assessment.  I have seen nothing but full effort from both players since the start of the playoffs.

I agree that Kelly is better in his own end, but that's exactly why I want him skating with two fairly defensively challenged wingers in Seguin and Ryder. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

Stats are stats? Any numbers can be construde to ones perspective.
    Lets face it Peverley should stay on the third/checking line. While Kelly could step in for Bergy. I think Peverley, Ryder and Seguin are a better line than Ryder, Kelly and Seguin.

It's not who centres the second line but which person is best on which line for the team. IMO

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Pev is the better player than Kelly, but if Kelly keeps on his Shuperman Cage, he might work, but I seen him without it, so that does not bode well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Stats are stats? Any numbers can be construde to ones perspective. Lets face it Peverley should stay on the third/checking line. While Kelly could step in for Bergy. I think Peverley, Ryder and Seguin are a better line than Ryder, Kelly and Seguin. It's not who centres the second line but which person is best on which line for the team. IMO
    Posted by LordByron77

Sorry for trying using data to support my position, you're right Kelly is better on draws. 

Also, great point by you that the weaker defender should stay on the checking line with two defensively weak wingers.

Either way, looking at the poll results, I am argueing a minority opinion.  I hope Kelly and Peverley keep up their strong play, because the team really needs them.

Go B's!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

What's the latest?  Is he a possible Game 3 return - or not at all this series?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

What's the latest?  Is he a possible Game 3 return - or not at all this series?
    Posted by olsonstephanie

Bergy is skating...alone ! If things do not go well for the Bruins he may see limited ice time later in the week for game 5 or 6 !

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Looks like Julien is having 2nd thoughts about putting kelly on the 2nd line.

Today's practice lines

Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton/Patrice Bergeron
    Brad Marchand-Rich Peverley-Mark Recchi
    Michael Ryder-Chris Kelly-Tyler Seguin
    Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Looks like Julien is having 2nd thoughts about putting kelly on the 2nd line. Today's practice lines Milan Lucic-David Krejci-Nathan Horton/Patrice Bergeron Brad Marchand-Rich Peverley-Mark Recchi Michael Ryder-Chris Kelly-Tyler Seguin Daniel Paille-Gregory Campbell-Shawn Thornton
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni

That would make more sense to me anyway considering Peverly's history with ATL was as a top six center who played on the PP. Kelly belongs on the third line....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Ultra-small sample, but Kelly didn't seem to have chemistry with Marchand/Recchi.  Hopefully, Peverley does.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-Unite. Show Bruins-Unite's posts

Campbell Stats Surprising

If you correct for PP time, SH time and time spent playing with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th line, Campbell's got amazing stats per minute* played in terms of hits, shots on goal, shot percentage and faceoffs. Hard to tell anything from the points stat when he's averaging only 11:38 TOI per game in the playoffs.

*The time on ice stat I'm going on was adjusted to avoid penalization for SH play and also adjusted to avoid unfair advantage on the PP. Despite the fact that the Bruins' PP has been inert, certain advantages are nevertheless conferred by PP time. So that was corrected for.

I'll put these stats in a user friendly mertic and should be publishing them tonight.

Incidentally, I'm not saying he should replace Bergeron. I'm saying he can play a big role (on another line) in making up for the disadvantages of Bergy's absence, but he needs more ice time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

Re: Campbell Stats Surprising

In Response to Campbell Stats Surprising:
    If you correct for PP time, SH time and time spent playing with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th line, Campbell's got amazing stats per minute* played in terms of hits, shots on goal, shot percentage and faceoffs . Hard to tell anything from the points stat when he's averaging only 11:38 TOI per game in the playoffs. *The time on ice stat I'm going on was adjusted to avoid penalization for SH play and also adjusted to avoid unfair advantage on the PP. Despite the fact that the Bruins' PP has been inert, certain advantages are nevertheless conferred by PP time. So that was corrected for. I'll put these stats in a user friendly mertic and should be publishing them tonight. Incidentally, I'm not saying he should replace Bergeron. I'm saying he can play a big role (on another line) in making up for the disadvantages of Bergy's absence, but he needs more ice time.
    Posted by Bruins-Unite

If Seguin is moved to the 4th line then Paille ; Campbell ; Seguin will see more ice time against Tampa's 4th line.

Remeber, The coaching staff breaks the game down to every shift won or loss.
    Line matching is therefore necessary and important . Boston's lines 3 and 4 have to be better than Tampa's 3rd and 4th line to win the series. And I think they can be !!!

Sections
Shortcuts