Best Top 3 Defensemen "pairings" in the League

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Best Top 3 Defensemen "pairings" in the League

This is a legit question, albeit one that just came into my head and I didn't even spend a moment thinking of the answer other than: Chara, Seidenberg, Hamilton have to be near the top of that list.

I guess the whole "Omg! Boychuk has to be kept at any cost" threads got me to thinking that if the Bruins Top 3 defensemen are near the best in the league, doesn't that make Boychuk kind of just a luxury?

So here it goes, which team has a better than Top 3 than the Bruins?

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Best Top 3 Defensemen

Keith/Seabrook/insert name here....hands down

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Ok, that's one. I think Keith/Seabrook vs. Chara/Seidenberg could be argued with (with the Bruins losing the argument) but I would take Hamilton going forward over Johnny Oduya and Niklas Hjasoiaszjnocnson 7 days a week and twice on Sunday... Advantage: Hawks but definitely not hands down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

Ok, that's one. I think Keith/Seabrook vs. Chara/Seidenberg could be argued with (with the Bruins losing the argument) but I would take Hamilton going forward over Johnny Oduya and Niklas Hjasoiaszjnocnson 7 days a week and twice on Sunday... Advantage: Hawks but definitely not hands down.

At this moment in time...Hamilton is waaay behind both Oduya and Hjalmersson at D. However, that all could change in a year or two

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester are up there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

At this moment in time...Hamilton is waaay behind both Oduya and Hjalmersson at D. However, that all could change in a year or two

Is this Hyperbole Day and no one told me JM? Hamilton is WAAAAAY behind Oduya and Hjalmersson? I'll agree to disagree at least.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ha! I meant ahead...wait, no I didn't. Ugh...need more coffee!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Nice! Agree...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

If Hamilton could come close to Pietrangelo as a player, I'd be so psyched. Good call.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Not the best but pretty darn good.............McDonagh, Staal and Girardi.

Sidenote: J. Moore and recently signed Boyle added to the mix.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Campbell, Gudbranson, Stiffler's Mom

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hmmm.  Well, to be in the running, you have to have a Norris candidate (say, in the last 5 years) and then two other guys who aren't offensively inept or defensive liabilities and who can play a lot (size/endurance/strength).  I think there are only a few candidate teams: Chicago, LA, St. Louis, Minnesota, NYR, Montreal.  (Side note: can you believe that Victor Hedman and Marc Giordano received first place Norris Trophy votes??!!?!).  I don't think Ottawa is in the running despite Karlsson because they don't have a 2 and a 3 who are remotely close.  I probably should include Pitt, but I'll leave that as the one someone can throw in my face.  I also didn't include Detroit - but I like Ericsson and Kronwall enough that if someone throws them in my face, I'll listen.

Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson - Better.  Sorry.  Younger at the high end (Keith is only 31) and more experienced at the lower end (Hjalmarsson has more years in than Hamilton), more offensive skill across the board, and plenty of sound defense.

Doughty, Voynov, Mitchell. - Better.  Sorry.  Similar reasons.  Doughty is much younger than Chara, Voynov can do everything Hamilton can do slightly better, but the Bruins probably win Seidenberg/Mitchell heads up.

Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Shattenkirk - Better.  Sorry.  Neck and neck with Chicago.  Hard to remember that Bouwmeester is only 31.  Pietrangelo has a Norris in his future.  As a group, they log the most ice of the candidate trios and are very close to Chicago in terms of offensive punch, but probably should be considered as better offensively because all three have 37+ points.  Shattenkirk brings their overall defensive ability down a bit on average, but not enough that you'd think the Bruins are better.

Suter, Brodin, Spurgeon - Win, Bruins.  Brodin and Hamilton are a wash. Seidenberg over Spurgeon all day and all night.  Chara over Suter on sheer power alone, and he still contributes enough offensively to make that side of the game a wash.

McDonagh, Girardi, Stall. Win, Bruins.  If this year was the Year of Bergeron, next year will be the Year of Ryan McDonagh.  Mark my words - he is the guy who will get the kind of amped up respect next year that he didn't get amid all of the polite admiration he's received to date.  But he's not the force Chara is. Girardi probably deserves a win head to head over Hamilton, but Seidenberg over Staal in my eyes, and overall the package deal goes to the Bruins.

Subban, Markov, Emelin (was actually Gorges by ice time last year, but he's gonzo).  Win, Bruins, but it's probably closer than I'd like to admit.  Despite seeming like he couldn't fail to score on the PP vs. the Bruins, PK actually had 7 fewer goals than Chara last year, and his 13 more points was balanced off by his being a minus player for the year - about what you think of when you think of Subban.  And Chara is just so dominant in the defensive zone, the difference in their offensive totals overall is mroe than offset.  Markov, though, is better than either Hamilton or Seidenberg.  With experience, Hamilton should surpass him as an all-around player, but not now, not yet.  Seidenberg doesn't have the offensive chops, but he's better defensively.  Conversely, I think both are better than Emelin, who isn't as consistent as Seidenberg or as good offensively as Hamilton. 

So that puts the Bruins in 4th in my estimation.  Not bad.

Are you not entertained?!?!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Up n comers 

Seth Jones - Shea Weber - Ryan Ellis/Roman Josi

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Doughty, Voynov, Mitchell.

Not to nitpick but Willie Mitchell is no longer with LA. He's now with NAS in Florida. Really good analysis though....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

SanDog, I was tempted to put the Preds on the list because any team with Weber should get a look.  The guy's a one man top three.  Now that I think about it, that's not giving enough credit to Roman Josi.

Sounds like a deadpan comedy line, but his numbers are kind of surprising when I look at them.  13 goals, 10 fewer than Weber, which corresponds almost exactly to the differential in their PPG, so Josi scores RSG at the almost the same pace as Shea Weber.  He had 16 fewer points than Weber - 40 total, which matches Chara, but Josi played in fewer games - and 13 of those differential points were PPP.  Now, you have to take that with a salt lick because Josi played pretty much the same PP minutes as Weber, so the only difference was role...and talent.  Josi matched Weber's ice time, his +/- and his number of shifts.  He doesn't hit much, but he blocks shots well, too.  Simple answer is he plays with Weber and reaps the benefit the way Hamilton does with Chara...but he's done some impressive reaping nonetheless.  I almost look forward to watching a Predators game more attentively.  Almost.

Are you not entertained?!?!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I think I'm picking the rangers trio. Staal as a number 3 is scary. Extend this list to a top 4 and the bruins may win out

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Gotta agree except Stifler's mom has trouble down low and with 2-on-1 s.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah but I hear she is magical with the stick

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Oduya and Hjalmarsson play against the other teams top lines, I would go with Chicago on this one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Funny, most scouting reports say those are here strengths.  I hear she's good in the room and likes to help younger players learn the ropes.

[object HTMLDivElement]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I say:

1. Keith, Seabrook, Hjarlmersson

2. Doughty, Voynov, Martinez

3. Chara, Hamilton, Seidenberg

4. Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Bouwmeester (Pietrangelo is awesome but Shattenkirk is overrated/weak on D)

5. McDonagh, Staal, Girardi

I say that next year Minnesota (Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin) and Detroit (Kronwall, Dekeyser, and Smith) might move into the top-5 discussion.

Sections
Shortcuts