Bettman Wants Seattle Expansion Team By 2014/15:Report

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Bettman Wants Seattle Expansion Team By 2014/15:Report

I've read the history of hockey in that city dates back to 1915 with the Seattle Metropolitans of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association.  Hockey is in their public consciousness.  I've searched some articles to see if I can find who the deep pockets are who'll provide the $275 million fee.  No luck so far. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/31/gary-bettman-wants-nhl-expansion-team-in-seattle-by-2014-15-report

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Bettman Wants Seattle Expansion Team By 2014/15:Report

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/knocking+Seattle+door/8623548/story.html

Everett, Spokane and Seattle all do well in the WHL. Hockey won't be new at all up there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

I hope the people in Seattle don't hold their breath. How about let's fix the teams we have now before worrying about creating expansion teams to a league who's talent is already watered down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

I hope the people in Seattle don't hold their breath. How about let's fix the teams we have now before worrying about creating expansion teams to a league who's talent is already watered down.

Which teams need to be fixed?

Even Phoenix looks like it's turning a corner.  (<---- been said 100,000 times before)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

bring back Nedved to Seatlle

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think there's any question the NHL will look to expand, like it or not.  Another way for the owners to make money, and you have to think they left the schedule unbalanced for a reason.  I bet there are 32 teams in 5 years, and Seattle makes sense to me.

Those people must be desperate for pro sports, as the soccer team kills it there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

Which teams need to be fixed?

Even Phoenix looks like it's turning a corner.  (<---- been said 100,000 times before)

Have you seen the sagging attendence in places like Florida, Carolina, Nashville, New York ( Islanders ) Columbus, Dallas and of course Phoenix. These teams play in front of half capacity crowds more often than not. Last thing the the NHL needs right now is expansion. They aren't even capable of making ice at the current arena in Seattle right now for God's sake.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

According to Travelmath the driving distance from Seattle to Vancouver is 140 miles.  On top of the stated $275 million cost, wouldn't this close proximity also prompt an indemnity of millions to be paid to the Canucks? 

The May 17, 2009 New York Times sports feature Slap Shot mention when the Isles entered the NHL in '72, they paid NYR a $4 million indemnity fee, the equivalient of about $20 million in 2009 dollars. 

NJD came in 10 years later and paid a reported $12 million indemnity to NYR, NYI and the Flyers (about $28 million in '09).  When the Duck joined the league in 1993, they paid a $25 million indemnity to the Kings, about $37 million 2009 dollars. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I don't think there's any question the NHL will look to expand, like it or not.  Another way for the owners to make money, and you have to think they left the schedule unbalanced for a reason.  I bet there are 32 teams in 5 years, and Seattle makes sense to me.

Those people must be desperate for pro sports, as the soccer team kills it there.

The Sounders average over 30, 000 a game, Fletch.  Plus they win.  Compare that to mighty TFC, a team that used to cram about 20, 000 into BMO Field down by Lake Ontario to watch an organization that's never made the playoffs.  (Must be a Toronto thing as this is much like the Leafs for the large part of a decade.) Folks are starting to wise up as attendance is on the dip forcing them to roll back to 2007 prices.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2012/10/29/3572162/MLS-attendance-2012-Toronto-FC

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/knocking+Seattle+door/8623548/story.html

Everett, Spokane and Seattle all do well in the WHL. Hockey won't be new at all up there.

True, San.  Here are some names given by fans for the NHL hockey club.  If I were voting I'd go with Thunderhawks but there's already the Blackhawks.  Maybe Tritons.

http://seattlesportscentral.com/other/seattle-nhl-team-names/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

1. Of course there will be western expansion.  No way the fat teams in the east would agree to a system that meant two more teams in the east lose out on playoff dollars with that unbalanced conference alignment unless they were getting a share of the expansion pie and the situation was temporary.  I won't be surprised if, when we hit 32 teams, the playoff pie expands and they add another round of sorts - maybe a march madness type of mini-playdown for the 8 spot in each conference playoff bracket involving 8, 9, 10, 11.  One game each between 8v11 and 9v10, winners play a best of three.  Gives teams a little extra revenue with a shot at more.

2. I doubt this is news to the governors, and I imagine well-managed teams are preparing for the expansion draft in two years.  Last time, teams could protect either 1 goalie, 5D and 9F or 2G, 3D and 7F.  Regardless of which direction you went, you had to leave at least one D with a season's experience in the NHL and two forwards with that experience.  You would lose one or two players at the discretion of the expansion team and depending on whether there's one or two teams involved.

If it happens at the end of next year?

Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Marchand, Eriksson and then...?  I could see them choosing to protect Soderberg if he shows he can be an impact player, but not Kelly, Campbell, Paille, Thornton, or Caron.  Caron would be a good "leave" in terms of meeting the experience requirement.  That leaves either one more forward (Spooner, probably?) or three (add Fraser and Smith? or Camara and Khokhlachev?).

Chara, Hamilton, Seidenberg and... some combo of Boychuk, Krug, McQuaid, Morrow?  Or let it ride.

Rask (unless you're shupe and think this is the perfect chance to get out from under that deal) and then the biggest of choices.  Protect Svedberg, who has had great success in the A?  Protect Subban, who has had great success in Jr. and could be a valuable asset if and when the Bruins have to decide what to do with him?  Or protect neither, assume you're only going to lose one at worst, and protect more forwards and D?

I'd do 1G 5D 9F and protect Fraser and Smith unless Camara or Khokhlachev go ape feces this year.  And I'll go Boychuk and Morrow based on what we know now.  A great season by Krug or a lousy one by Morrow might change my mind.

My guess is the Bruins would lose Campbell and Krug if they lost two, and probably just Campbell if they lose one.  Outside chance it's McQuaid.  Rationale: the expansion teams will find guys with potential "top six" talent elsewhere, but they'll know they need to sell character, hard work, guts and experience until the draft picks and subsequent deals work out.  That makes Campbell a potential "C" candidate between the celebrity of #I'm Gregory Campbell plus a Cup ring.  And as we saw when they put him with Jagr, Colin's boy isn't totally inept in the offensive end.  There's a possibility that Krug could lead an expansion team in scoring.  And they'll live with his mistakes.  They may need to toughen up the back line, though, and McQuaid would be a logical choice.

Are you not entertained?!?!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Footnote on the last expansion draft - Bruins lost Mats Timander and Steve Heinze, both to Columbus.  The 'Jackets dealt Heinze to Buffalo that year for a meaningless third rounder, and Heinze had his best NHL season - 27 goals between the two teams and 54 points.  The Wild didn't take any Bruins, but a lot of guys with Bruin connections were drafted: Sean O'Donnell, Kevyn Adams, Jeff Odgers, Joe Juneau and Cam Stewart. [O'Donnell was a Bruin after his time in Minnesota].

So - how bad were those Bruin teams of the mid-late 90s that so many guys who had played for them weren't even worth protecting in an expansion draft?

I'd vote for the Seattle Hipsters or, better yet, the PNW Whatevers....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I would also accept the Seattle Grunge, or the Seattle SubPops ("We're not the best, but we're pretty good!")

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I've read the history of hockey in that city dates back to 1915 with the Seattle Metropolitans of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association.  Hockey is in their public consciousness.  I've searched some articles to see if I can find who the deep pockets are who'll provide the $275 million fee.  No luck so far. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/31/gary-bettman-wants-nhl-expansion-team-in-seattle-by-2014-15-report

RHO there's a powerhouse of a possibility who has expressed wanting to own a team in Seattle, Don Levin.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-12-25/sports/ct-spt-1225-levin-wolves-chicago--20121225_1_don-levin-stanley-cup-nhl

He's the owner of the Chicago Wolves and a tobacco magnate, and he's been in previous talks with Hansen on how they could work together in Seattle.

Also, the NHL teams exclusivity rights are 50 miles - Seattle is outside that zone and would owe Vancouver no indemnity. 

And I've said it before, Seattle should be a solid market. Unlike most expansion teams since the early 90's (Ottawa and Minnesota being notable exceptions) they'd be going into an existing hockey market, with fairly easy access to an additional market in Canada drawing some fans from White Rock, Langley and Abbotsford possibly. I know that I'd go down for a few games - I'd rather watch the Seattle whatevers at a reasonable price than pay though the nose to watch the Vancouver divers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I think Seattle is a great idea & wouldn't be surprised to see Kanas in the mix for the 32nd team. Quebec will get it's team back once one of the lower financially stable teams in the East goes under. I don't see Quebec coming in as an expansion. Just a re-location club. I like the name Seattle Stingrays.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I think Seattle is a great idea & wouldn't be surprised to see Kanas in the mix for the 32nd team. Quebec will get it's team back once one of the lower financially stable teams in the East goes under. I don't see Quebec coming in as an expansion. Just a re-location club. I like the name Seattle Stingrays.

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

Nite, I'm still skeptical that Missouri can support two teams and that Kansas has enough of a fan base. I still think the three best Western markets would be Seattle, Milwaukee and Portland.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I was to Red, but Bill Daley has said that Kansas is a front runner, because of their shown interest & preparedness. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Naming a new club is really, really difficult. Everything sounds either overdone or too "hip" and therefore not to be taken seriously. NHL teams for the most part have been pretty good at it. Too bad the Canucks stole the jersey colors that should be used here. Oh well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Naming a new club is really, really difficult. Everything sounds either overdone or too "hip" and therefore not to be taken seriously. NHL teams for the most part have been pretty good at it. Too bad the Canucks stole the jersey colors that should be used here. Oh well.

I'll give you that one for sure - Between the Seahawks, Mariners, Sounders and Thunderbirds that colour scheme screams Seattle sports. And I have no idea why, because intellectually it seems off to me a bit, but I kinda like Sealions. I don't really know why, maybe because it's unique or regionally relevant or that it plays off the Seahawks a bit. 

I do think that whatever they choose, if they do come along, should be strongly PNW related.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Sockeye? Eh.

Lumberjacks? Yawn.

Sea___________? Maybe.

Seattle HyperHippies? or Seattle Grind? or Seattle Jumpers? Nailed. it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm more and more attracted to the idea of the Seattle "Whatevers".  Their logo could look like someone started to sketch something out and then decided, ah who cares, logos are just tools of the capitalist elite to commodify the common person's emotional commitment to a team, which is just repackaging of primitive tribal nationalism anyway.  It's just so pre-1960s.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well if this report is true, it may scuttle any chances for KC

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/01/portland-trail-blazers-chief-confirms-paul-allens-interest-in-nhl/

If they're actually pushing for Seattle expansion and Paul Allen and his bottomless pockets want a crack at the NHL, there's your two teams right there. I think he'd be the second richest owner in the league, behind Thomson.

Move Phoenix to the Central, or move the Avs to the Paciffic and both Alberta teams to the Central and you're done. Wait for an Eastern team to croak to get a team in Quebec or other Eastern markets.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I've been staunchly in favor of the Sockeyes.  Great sounding name, relevant to the region, and a symbol of fierce persistence in the over-dammed rivers of the Pacific Northwest.

Cool hockey name to boot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I've been staunchly in favor of the Sockeyes.  Great sounding name, relevant to the region, and a symbol of fierce persistence in the over-dammed rivers of the Pacific Northwest.

Cool hockey name to boot.

And damn tasty.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/31/report-new-coyotes-buyers-finances-being-questioned/

"It’s never not interesting off the ice for the Phoenix Coyotes.

Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal reports that some financing for the deal to sell the team to Renaissance Sports and Entertainment (aka: Ice Arizona) has fallen through.

Sunnucks cites two sources close to the situation who say funding has either not been finalized or has been dropped completely from the deal. The group has until August 5 to finalize the purchase."

1. Now we know why the chatter about Seattle sprung up.

2. Paul Allen doesn't need finance.

Just get the Yotes out of there already

PS.  "Seattle HyperHippies" Hilarious!

Sections
Shortcuts