Bettman's Salary

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Bettman's Salary

Apparently the league must be in good shape because Bettman is now earning his highest salary to date (8.3M for 2012). Good thing ownership forced a lockout or poor Gary might've  been hurting.......even though he gets a raise every year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/much-does-gary-bettman-paid-8-3-million-125034419--nhl.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Bettman's Salary

Reasonable pay to oversee a billion dollar enterprise.

Tyler Myers made more than him recently!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Goodell makes $30 million???

But 8.3 for Bettman? He's nearly tripled league revenues in the last ten years. Yes it's a huge number, but I would hazard a guess that a majority of CEO's of major international corporations with a similar track record are making similar coin, if not much more. Sounds to me like he makes close to fair market price.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Reasonable pay to oversee a billion dollar enterprise.

Tyler Myers made more than him recently!

No doubt Myers is clearly overpaid. It's just that Bettman's salary is tied directly to league revenue. His raise tells me that the league was turning a profit closer to what the players were claiming they were, as opposed to numbers that ownership were offering up. I agree with you though. His salary seems fair for the position he's in.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/learned-blame-nhl-owners-team-cap-crunch-difficulty-143203054--nhl.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Goodell makes $30 million???

But 8.3 for Bettman? He's nearly tripled league revenues in the last ten years. Yes it's a huge number, but I would hazard a guess that a majority of CEO's of major international corporations with a similar track record are making similar coin, if not much more. Sounds to me like he makes close to fair market price.

The NFL is making huge money compared to hockey though Red.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Very True Dez, but if you look at the 7 years that Goodell's been at the helm he's increased revenue by about 30 per cent or so to $9 billion. Over approximately the same time span the NHL's increased their revenues by 193 per cent. Of course Goodell's going to make more, their revenues are about triple those of the NHL, but that doesn't mean he's better at his job, which is to increase revenues and profits. NFL's the richer sport, but I think, solely from the business side of things, Bettman's the better commish.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to red75's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

Very True Dez, but if you look at the 7 years that Goodell's been at the helm he's increased revenue by about 30 per cent or so to $9 billion. Over approximately the same time span the NHL's increased their revenues by 193 per cent. Of course Goodell's going to make more, their revenues are about triple those of the NHL, but that doesn't mean he's better at his job, which is to increase revenues and profits. NFL's the richer sport, but I think, solely from the business side of things, Bettman's the better commish.

[/QUOTE]

Red, I think football was still so big when Goodell took over that it would've been near impossible to increase revenue at the pace that hockey has. Bettman might still be the better commish and I admit that I don't know enough about Goodell and his league to form an educated opinion regarding one versus the other.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Fair enough Dez, I'm not exactly an NFL expert either. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Football hasn't had 2 league mandated work stoppages in 8 years, supposedly because everyone is going broke.  The hockey business pays executive compensation based on what the hockey business can afford, not what MLB, NFL, and the NBA do.  There are huge differences in each of those business models.  It's also unreasonable to look at percentage growth when comparing David to Goliath.

When looking at Bettmans package over the last 10 years, it's clearly evident the league is in much better shape than it said it was,.... last year at this time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

He doesn't even crack the top 100 CEO's

http://www.aflcio.org/Corporate-Watch/CEO-Pay-and-You/100-Highest-Paid-CEOs

Lowest salary on that list is the Pie 1 CEO at 18.75 mil.

or 15.36 on this list;

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2012/12/ceo-compensation-12_rank.html

So yah, Gary's salary is pretty reasonable in comparison.

HOWEVER, CEO's are making 354x that of the average;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/15/sp-500-ceos_n_3085601.html

Or a more conservative article - 201x that of the average;

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=5771c643-4acc-4838-b1c6-ade9d4955afb   The suits are making far too much money.  That's what's wrong with this country.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Goodell is a scum for not showing more free games on local TV outlets, forcing loyal NFL to buy Direct TV. In some cases Direct TV still blacks out the local game. Roger is a pure pirate, probably killed to have to sign off the concussion money last week. Nice phat reward, salary for an absolute crook!

Gary on the other hand wouldnt go to bed with just one provider. Goodell inherited a goldmine where as Bettmam took over a disaster left by Zeigler. In the end, though, salary is tied to the dollar amount of revenue. Bettman should be paid more in my view. The midget gets it done and doesnt back down to the Canadian media, who hate Gary.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Goodell is a scum for not showing more free games on local TV outlets, forcing loyal NFL to buy Direct TV. In some cases Direct TV still blacks out the local game. Roger is a pure pirate, probably killed to have to sign off the concussion money last week. Nice phat reward, salary for an absolute crook!

Gary on the other hand wouldnt go to bed with just one provider. Goodell inherited a goldmine where as Bettmam took over a disaster left by Zeigler. In the end, though, salary is tied to the dollar amount of revenue. Bettman should be paid more in my view. The midget gets it done and doesnt back down to the Canadian media, who hate Gary.

Before I got to your post I was thinking along the same lines. The NFL is a money making machine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:[/QUOTE] Before I got to your post I was thinking along the same lines. The NFL is a money making machine. [/QUOTE]

Owners love GoodnPlenty fo sho!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

He doesn't even crack the top 100 CEO's

http://www.aflcio.org/Corporate-Watch/CEO-Pay-and-You/100-Highest-Paid-CEOs

Lowest salary on that list is the Pie 1 CEO at 18.75 mil.

or 15.36 on this list;

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2012/12/ceo-compensation-12_rank.html

So yah, Gary's salary is pretty reasonable in comparison.

HOWEVER, CEO's are making 354x that of the average;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/15/sp-500-ceos_n_3085601.html

Or a more conservative article - 201x that of the average;

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=5771c643-4acc-4838-b1c6-ade9d4955afb   The suits are making far too much money.  That's what's wrong with this country.

The poorest fortune 500 company is a much bigger revenue generator than the NHL, so it's only reasonable he wouldn't crack the 500, let alone 100.  And he doesn't lead 10's of thousands of employees either.  

Not saying he's doing a terrible job, but he's no comparison to those listed above.

I look at it this way.  He's making Crosby money.  There are at least 10,000 executives in America alone who would be highly qualified to pamper the owners, as well as throw their snowballs.  Many of these individuals are making in the millions per year, but significantly less than 8 and change. 

There are arguably no other Crosby's out there....anywhere....at any price.

Bettman could easily be replaced for less money, and the league wouldn't blink.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Really, with all that money he inherited, he could be fighting crime for free and living off the Wayne fortune, couldn't he?

Are you not entertained?!?!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Football hasn't had 2 league mandated work stoppages in 8 years, supposedly because everyone is going broke.  The hockey business pays executive compensation based on what the hockey business can afford, not what MLB, NFL, and the NBA do.  There are huge differences in each of those business models.  It's also unreasonable to look at percentage growth when comparing David to Goliath.

When looking at Bettmans package over the last 10 years, it's clearly evident the league is in much better shape than it said it ways,.... last year at this time.

They had one in 2011.  The players caved very quickly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Bettman could be making triple that outside the NHL. Really who cares what he makes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

When looking at Bettmans package over the last 10 years, it's clearly evident the league is in much better shape than it said it ways,.... last year at this time.

They had one in 2011.  The players caved very quickly.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't count that, because there was no work stoppage, rather some off season posturing.

My recollection is that the players didn't cave at all.  There were several owner demands that quickly got pulled when the players played the anti trust card.  Seemed like a pretty tough negotiation where both sides got some consideration.  The fact that such a contentious, labour issue got sorted out before even one game was lost says volumes when comparing how each leader handled things.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Really, with all that money he inherited, he could be fighting crime for free and living off the Wayne fortune, couldn't he?

Obviously you aren't keeping up.  The Wayne fortune was obliterated years ago when Catwoman successfully won paternity suits from both Batman and Bruce for the same illigitimate child.

I could never figure out what either of them saw in her.

Even the Batmobile got auctioned off a few years back.  Don't you ever get out?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

[QUOTE]

Obviously you aren't keeping up.  The Wayne fortune was obliterated years ago when Catwoman successfully won paternity suits from both Batman and Bruce for the same illigitimate child.

I could never figure out what either of them saw in her.

Even the Batmobile got auctioned off a few years back.  Don't you ever get out?

[/QUOTE]

Look again. I'm not a cat person, but I'd pat that one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I think a big reason the NFL tried to avoid missing any games was because if they did they are losing 1/16th of their total game revenues whereas one hockey game would only be 1/82nd. I think the overall losses are much greater for 1 NFL game verse 1 NHL game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Look again. I'm not a cat person, but I'd pat that one.

Thanks for everything, Julie Newmar.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

I think a big reason the NFL tried to avoid missing any games was because if they did they are losing 1/16th of their total game revenues whereas one hockey game would only be 1/82nd. I think the overall losses are much greater for 1 NFL game verse 1 NHL game.

Yes, it's true that 1/82 is a smaller fraction than 1/16.  After that epifany, your hypothesis goes south pretty quick.  Per game revenues are squat when looking at the big picture.  A lost season is just that in either league, regardless  how many games they play.  NFL television revenue alone(which was guaranteed if games were lost), beats the hell out of anything NHL, so that greatly diminishes the importance of ticket sales.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

A lot of Canadians like Steve hate Gary & I really don't understand it. He's the main reason that Winnipeg got their franshise back & the reason Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa & even Montreal for that matter got to keep their teams this side of the border. Without the cap we don't have 7 Canadian teams. 

Sections
Shortcuts