Big bad Bruins, bullies?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Big bad Bruins, bullies?

Really ?  Why is it non-Bruin fans and media say the Bruins only win when they bully a team ?
    Is it because I'm a Bruins fan and don't see this ?
    Last playoffs I found teams like Montreal and Vancouver played tough and were even in the hit department in most games (especially at home they might have out hit the Bruns) .
    Why do they tag the Bruins this way ?
    I find the Bruins play physical with skill although very underestimated in the skill department and that's fine by me. 

49 North do you see the Bruins as being bullies to win games ? 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies?

In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies?:
    [QUOTE]It's a lame, politically correct/modern NHL whiny excuse to describe good, physical hockey.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

hey you !  go back and knock sense to some of those Patroit posters .
    Nice to see you weigh in on hockey again. Cheers !

Oh wait it's a bye-week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Everybody hates a winner, especially from Boston!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I think there are a couple of observations from my POV...

First, I agree w/ Hang, in that teams that win have targets on their backs.  Call it envy, jealousy, or the need to prove yourself against the top teams -- but there's always going to be an extra level of 'compete' against the Cup Champions.  That being said, I think most other teams' management always look at winning teams (and I'm going to include the Canucks here, because although they didn't win the ultimate game, it's a near-unanimous opinion that they have done a good job of building a team which can compete for the Cup on a consistent basis) as case studies on how to improve their own teams, so there's also an element of admiration there.

Second, I think the Bruins have a long-held reputation, a perception, that they play tough, and cross the line at times. People remember players like Stan Jonathan, Terry O'Reilly and John Wensink. This expectation makes people talk about "Bruin hockey" whenever a post-whistle scrum/face-washing incident occurs, not realizing that pretty well every team does it.

This aggressiveness can provoke teams into getting off their games and doing stupid things in retaliation (for example -- I've never seen Burr bite anyone before).  In the Cup Final, I think the Bruins took the Canucks' brains off their games, and thinking too much about the post-whistle stuff. 

So, to the extent that "Big bad Bruin" hockey results in wins, I think it's an appropriate strategy, assuming that you don't give a crap what the rest of the league thinks about you, and you are very strong on the PK.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Anyone remember Brian Burke's 2006 Ducks team?.They certainly were a team that tried to out muscle teams on a nightly basis.And yes they were bullies on some nights, but who cares really.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I believe that the Bruins are tough, but more importantly teams and media are reaching for a reason why they beat teams that have "superstars".  It can't be that these guys are the most talented team from top to bottom in the league, could it?  No, they were second in scoring last year because they bullied the puck into the net.  The Bruins are greatly under-rated by the media and many fans for their skill level, and I like it that way.  Keep thinking they are not talented and they will continue to win games!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomethingBrewin. Show SomethingBrewin's posts

There's a word for bullies who score 6 per game......Champs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The best Bruin teams, in my opinion, are that rare combination that can beat you with skill and execution, then, if you get frustrated and act out, they can beat you up.  Nothing better.

The 2010-11 team kind of had that, especially in the playoffs.  The Canucks were just barely outplaying the Bruins skill wise, and then they got cocky and decided to taunt, rough-up, and injure (in Horton's case) the Bruins too.  The Bruins stepped it up and turned the tables, and before you knew it they were outplaying the Canucks in all areas.  Make no mistake, the Canucks would love to have been the bullies in that series -- they tried to be -- but when the Bruins turned the tables, the outcry about bullying came from the Canuck apologists.  The notion that the Canucks were somehow a purer team is complete hogwash, only believed by embittered simpletons like Glen Healey.

There are certainly teams, like Detroit, that stragtegically choose to play a finesse and skill game, and just let an opponent's aggression lead them into mistakes and penalties.  Vancouver and Montreal are very skilled, but they pretend they want to play tough too.  Since they don't have the horses or the willingness though, it usually doesn't work. 

Boston needs to be both.  Use skill when skill is needed and toughness when toughness is needed.  The other night in Carolina was all toughness, without skill or execution, and it was hideous.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Agree w/ Fletch... top teams need to be able to play different types of games when the circumstances require.  They need to recognize those situations where you 'take a punch, skate away and score on the PP', or you need to 'step up and respond', or you need to 'beat 'em with speed and skill'.  Sometimes, it's a lineup tweak or two -- inserting an 'energy guy', or a 'tough guy' into the lineup for a specific game, or it's a game plan tailored for an opponent (or maybe even an officiating crew who you know calls a game a certain way).

So much of that is scouting, coaching and team meetings, to determine "how we're gonna play tonight".  And reminding the team on the bench to stick to the game plan;  or perhaps make alterations between periods. 

We tend to focus a lot on the players, but they're executing a game plan drawn up by the coaches, who have to recognize the opportunities to play a certain team a certain way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Agree w/ Fletch... top teams need to be able to play different types of games when the circumstances require.  They need to recognize those situations where you 'take a punch, skate away and score on the PP', or you need to 'step up and respond', or you need to 'beat 'em with speed and skill'.  Sometimes, it's a lineup tweak or two -- inserting an 'energy guy', or a 'tough guy' into the lineup for a specific game, or it's a game plan tailored for an opponent (or maybe even an officiating crew who you know calls a game a certain way). So much of that is scouting, coaching and team meetings, to determine "how we're gonna play tonight".  And reminding the team on the bench to stick to the game plan;  or perhaps make alterations between periods.  We tend to focus a lot on the players, but they're executing a game plan drawn up by the coaches, who have to recognize the opportunities to play a certain team a certain way.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Off topic, and you've probably been asked this a dozen times.

Honestly, if you had to choose the #1 goalie for the rest of the season in terms of workload, would you take Luongo or Schneider?

I am doubting Luongo's ability to bounce back more and more each day, but he has certainly done it before...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Big bad Bruins, bullies?:
    [QUOTE]Really ?  Why is it non-Bruin fans and media say the Bruins only win when they bully a team ? Is it because I'm a Bruins fan and don't see this ? Last playoffs I found teams like Montreal and Vancouver played tough and were even in the hit department in most games (especially at home they might have out hit the Bruns) . Why do they tag the Bruins this way ? I find the Bruins play physical with skill although very underestimated in the skill department and that's fine by me.  49 North do you see the Bruins as being bullies to win games ? 
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    Legion, it's like during the playoff when I pointed out that all of Boston's opponents were supposedly out-skating them. Just because they're big and strong, they get no credit when the skills sneak through in their game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : Off topic, and you've probably been asked this a dozen times. Honestly, if you had to choose the #1 goalie for the rest of the season in terms of workload, would you take Luongo or Schneider? I am doubting Luongo's ability to bounce back more and more each day, but he has certainly done it before...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Certainly, there are reasons to doubt Lou's ability to bounce back, given his shakiness this season.  However, he did stop 25 of 26 last night, including some pretty good point blank saves.  I do like Schneider, and I also like Eddie Lack, our #1 goalie in Chicago.  It's one thing to look good for 25 games;  it's quite another to keep it up for 65.  There's no reason, at this point, to doubt Schneider's abilities -- he's passed every test so far. 

If I was the GM, this would be Lou's last kick at the can;  if he falters this spring, then it's on to Plan B. 

And, to be honest, it's tough to dump the whole Cup finals loss on Lou.  It's tough to win Gm 7 when you don't score any goals.  And, IMO, putting it all on Lou undervalues TT's performance.  The Canucks fired 37 shots at TT, and he stopped them all in the biggest game of his life.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : Certainly, there are reasons to doubt Lou's ability to bounce back, given his shakiness this season.  However, he did stop 25 of 26 last night, including some pretty good point blank saves.  I do like Schneider, and I also like Eddie Lack, our #1 goalie in Chicago.  It's one thing to look good for 25 games;  it's quite another to keep it up for 65.  There's no reason, at this point, to doubt Schneider's abilities -- he's passed every test so far.  If I was the GM, this would be Lou's last kick at the can;  if he falters this spring, then it's on to Plan B.  And, to be honest, it's tough to dump the whole Cup finals loss on Lou.  It's tough to win Gm 7 when you don't score any goals.  And, IMO, putting it all on Lou undervalues TT's performance.  The Canucks fired 37 shots at TT, and he stopped them all in the biggest game of his life.
    I feel bad for Lou right now. He's obviously got the skill-set to succeed in this league. It just seems he may not be the sharpest tool in the shed. There was no good that could come from his "tire pumping" comment. I suspect his teammates weren't too pleased about it. Bottom line, it's a bad idea to motivate your opponent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : Off topic, and you've probably been asked this a dozen times. Honestly, if you had to choose the #1 goalie for the rest of the season in terms of workload, would you take Luongo or Schneider? I am doubting Luongo's ability to bounce back more and more each day, but he has certainly done it before...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

They can't have Luongo backup for that salary.
    I also don;t think Schneider can be consistently good game in and game out like a no1 or at least not as good as he's shown when he does backup.
    If can / could the trade Luongo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : They can't have Luongo backup for that salary. I also don;t think Schneider can be consistently good game in and game out like a no1 or at least not as good as he's shown when he does backup. If can / could the trade Luongo.
    My buddy and I were discussing who would be harder to deal right now....Loungo or DiPietro? I think they're in direct competition for least tradeable contract.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I would say Redden's in that discussion as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I would say Redden's in that discussion as well.
    Really? Redden is signed through 2013-14. Luongo and Dipietro are both locked in for another decade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : Really? Redden is signed through 2013-14. Luongo and Dipietro are both locked in for another decade.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    Tricky Ricky, tough to trade a guy who is always hurt. I see a basement team taking Luongo to stay afloat. I don't see either being traded though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I think there are a couple of observations from my POV... First, I agree w/ Hang, in that teams that win have targets on their backs.  Call it envy, jealousy, or the need to prove yourself against the top teams -- but there's always going to be an extra level of 'compete' against the Cup Champions.  That being said, I think most other teams' management always look at winning teams (and I'm going to include the Canucks here, because although they didn't win the ultimate game, it's a near-unanimous opinion that they have done a good job of building a team which can compete for the Cup on a consistent basis) as case studies on how to improve their own teams, so there's also an element of admiration there. Second, I think the Bruins have a long-held reputation, a perception, that they play tough, and cross the line at times. People remember players like Stan Jonathan, Terry O'Reilly and John Wensink. This expectation makes people talk about "Bruin hockey" whenever a post-whistle scrum/face-washing incident occurs, not realizing that pretty well every team does it. This aggressiveness can provoke teams into getting off their games and doing stupid things in retaliation (for example -- I've never seen Burr bite anyone before).  In the Cup Final, I think the Bruins took the Canucks' brains off their games, and thinking too much about the post-whistle stuff.  So, to the extent that "Big bad Bruin" hockey results in wins, I think it's an appropriate strategy, assuming that you don't give a crap what the rest of the league thinks about you, and you are very strong on the PK.
    Nicely said North!! A thumbs up for sure.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : Tricky Ricky, tough to trade a guy who is always hurt. I see a basement team taking Luongo to stay afloat. I don't see either being traded though.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]
    Always hurt or always lose.......hmmmmmm, what to do? You're right. A deal involving either is less likely than a Leafs cup in.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : Always hurt or always lose.......hmmmmmm, what to do? You're right. A deal involving either is less likely than a Leafs cup in.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    True true. But at least one has been to a cup finals. A rebuilding team might see that as a building block. Doubtful though. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big bad Bruins, bullies? : They can't have Luongo backup for that salary. I also don;t think Schneider can be consistently good game in and game out like a no1 or at least not as good as he's shown when he does backup. If can / could the trade Luongo.
    Here's the thing about goalies. Their success is graded by their post season performance. Timmy is a prime example! There were those of us who believed that Thomas could help the B's win a cup. There were those that thought he would falter after so many games because of his age. Then there were the total haters! This season has been absolutely a treat so far. Not because of the B's record; but because that even after they were 2-4. I haven't noticed one THOMAS SUKS thread! Imagine what kind of threads we'd be reading IF the B's didn't win.

I don't feel sorry for Bobby Lou because he brought a lot his demise upon himself. He trys to have a Patrick Roy attitude without a track record! 49 North your assessment on not blaming Louongo is so WRONG! He got the contract because he was SUPPOSED to be that goalie that Kirk Mclean wasn't. The thing is Kirk Mclean played his best in the play-offs. Which is the main reason why nobody I know that cheered for the Canucks ever blamed him for losses. And without the heroics of Mike Vernon in game 7 in 89; in OVERTIME to boot! The Canucks may have had a Stanley Cup that year.

Louongo has been talked about being superior long enough. He's no where near that. His consistency in the play-offs is average at best. When the play-offs come a great goalie picks up his game. You have your Brodeur's; Roys, Ranfords, Fuhr's, Smiths, Belfours & THOMAS'S. Then you have your Puppa's, Dafoe's, Turco's, Howards, & LOUONGO'S!! He better bring a cup to Vancouver this season, because if he doesn't he'll be a bust! They always said bring Louongo to a decent team & he'll win multiple cups! Well; I may not like the Canucks as a team; my knowledge is good enough to admit they have a GREAT TEAM! They just don't have a goalie! Well they may have one in their backup; but it's gonna be hard to start him in a game 7 right now. It'd be a coaches gamble that could jepordize his career in doing something like that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

you guys just had turn this thread into a Canucks thread.

Last night I re-watched the Bruins-Leafs game as the other night watched while in a bar.  Between the periods I heard Ward (yes former Bruin) call the Bruins bullies against the Canes. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]you guys just had turn this thread into a Canucks thread. Last night I re-watched the Bruins-Leafs game as the other night watched while in a bar.  Between the periods I heard Ward (yes former Bruin) call the Bruins bullies against the Canes. That's exactly what I'm talking about.
    Sorry Legion. I saw Ward saying that the other night and wondered if he would question where that mentality was when Walker was sucker-punching him.