Big night for the third line?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

Big night for the third line?

With Peverly out with an undisclosed injury, the 3rd line will be:

Caron - Kelly - Poliout

I don't think anyone is expecting them to be anything other than useless (Kelly excluded), and I'm sure by know they're aware of that. However, good things tend to happen when everyone doubts you, and I hope Caron and Poliout look at this as a chance to join the party and keep the momentum going forward for the Bruins. I'm looking at this game as a character check for Poliout and Caron. At the very least, I'll expect that they play sound defensively, not get any penalities and perhaps draw a few with hard, grinding work in the offensive zone. I'll expect that they play well enough to set the #1, #2 lines up for faceoffs in the offensive zone instead of having Bergy and Krejci have to bail them out and waste a shift playing defense.

With the way Bergy/segs/marc are playing, you better believe there is going to be some opportunity for the third line against some weaker opponents. This team can be turned around  by the great work of the #1 #2, but the bruins are built on depth and absolutely need the 3rd line to step up if they will contend. The Bruins brass knows this, and its obvious that these two wingers (caron/poliout) are the most likely to be replaced when it comes time to tweek this team. Some players thrive on this pressure, but will they rise to the occassion?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: Big night for the third line?

I've thought Caron has looked much better in the last 2 games than Poopiout has at any point this year.

It's a test for Caron that he should keep doing what earned him the spot on the third line. For Pouliot it should be a chance to show he's not completely useless which is highly unlikely.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Big night for the third line?:
    [QUOTE]With Peverly out with an undisclosed injury, the 3rd line will be: Caron - Kelly - Poliout I don't think anyone is expecting them to be anything other than useless (Kelly excluded), and I'm sure by know they're aware of that. However, good things tend to happen when everyone doubts you, and I hope Caron and Poliout look at this as a chance to join the party and keep the momentum going forward for the Bruins. I'm looking at this game as a character check for Poliout and Caron. At the very least, I'll expect that they play sound defensively, not get any penalities and perhaps draw a few with hard, grinding work in the offensive zone. I'll expect that they play well enough to set the #1, #2 lines up for faceoffs in the offensive zone instead of having Bergy and Krejci have to bail them out and waste a shift playing defense. With the way Bergy/segs/marc are playing, you better believe there is going to be some opportunity for the third line against some weaker opponents. This team can be turned around  by the great work of the #1 #2, but the bruins are built on depth and absolutely need the 3rd line to step up if they will contend. The Bruins brass knows this, and its obvious that these two wingers (caron/poliout) are the most likely to be replaced when it comes time to tweek this team. Some players thrive on this pressure, but will they rise to the occassion?
    Posted by Olsonicator[/QUOTE]
    Agreed Ols. This is a big opportunity for these guys to prove they belong.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Do not agree with your lumping Caron with Pouliot. In the last two games, Caron has continued to contribue every shift. Granted he is 20 and still learning, but his screens and passes and puck control are all contributing to solid play. Having said that, Peverly is an integral part of making the 3rd line work, and so far, Pouliot has not shown any solid contributions. I would rather have Clark as the 13th forward.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Big night for the third line?:
    [QUOTE]Do not agree with your lumping Caron with Pouliot. In the last two games, Caron has continued to contribue every shift. Granted he is 20 and still learning, but his screens and passes and puck control are all contributing to solid play. Having said that, Peverly is an integral part of making the 3rd line work, and so far, Pouliot has not shown any solid contributions. I would rather have Clark as the 13th forward.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]
    Bogie, I'm willing to also give Pouliot the benefit of having to learn a new system. It's just that last year, I remember being as guilty as anyone when it came to wanting to see a replacement for Paille. He proved his value down the stretch after spending much of the year as the 13th forward. Do I expect Pouliot to turn it all around? No, not really, but that won't stop me from hoping like hell that he does.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

As a guy with questionable scoring touch, I have played on a lot of 3rd and 4th lines in my day.  One of my favorite things about it was being overlooked and underestimated.  Play a simple, defensively sound game and then any offensive production is a bonus.  I agree with the thoughts Ols, these guys are in a prime spot to overachieve the low expectations.  Let's just hope they come out hungry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

[QUOTE]As a guy with questionable scoring touch, I have played on a lot of 3rd and 4th lines in my day.  One of my favorite things about it was being overlooked and underestimated.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

for sure, and I want to see it out of this line. We absolutely have seen the 4th line play with a chip on their shoulder, I would like to see the 3rd line work to earn some respect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

It looks like PC and Julien are going to give Benoit every possibility to snap out of it. You know Kelly won't get burned defensively so it will be interesting in how Claude gives out minutes to this line and/or switches it up with the 4th line.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Good night for Benoit. At least a point and some good strong play in all 3 zones....you heard it here first.

...hey, someone has to go out on the limb.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]Good night for Benoit. At least a point and some good strong play in all 3 zones....you heard it here first. ...hey, someone has to go out on the limb.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

Ill bet you a dime he's as invisible as kevin bacon in hollow man.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big night for the third line? : Ill bet you a dime he's as invisible as kevin bacon in hollow man.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

10 cents...you're on, Buddy!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

ILH,

10 hard cold cents! Fork it over.
    I'm freakin' Carnac

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomethingBrewin. Show SomethingBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]ILH, 10 hard cold cents! Fork it over. I'm freakin' Carnac

Haha  well done.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Very nice call by the op

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]ILH, 10 hard cold cents! Fork it over. I'm freakin' Carnac

I think that prediction was on stanleys level.

Sections
Shortcuts