BIG Question on Kaberle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

BIG Question on Kaberle

Regardless how this season plays out, what does everyone here think of the possible re-signing of Kaberle?  I've heard 4 mill. a year gets him re-signed, but with the way he's played thus far, his age, the unreliableness in his own end and being he's on the third-pairing of our blue-line, I just don't see any justification in re-upping him.  And, unless the B's make it to the Cup Finals, I'd keep that conditional pick.

I haven't researched who's going to be available as UFA defensemen, but the B's can definitely get a serviceable d-man that can play on the PP and is not a liability in his own end, and still have change left over.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: BIG Question on Kaberle

Aside from that one really bad play in GM1 in the MTL series I havent seen this "unreliable in his onw zone" thing very much at all during the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I'd say $3.5-3.75 is reasonable considering his poor play. I just don't think he understands the system yet and don't think he's this bad (50/50 hope and think). 

The Bs need an extra D-man unless you think Kampfer and McQuaid are a serviceable as your 5 & 6 pairing - I don't right now but both are growing. Don't see many other D-men out there and I'd love to see the Bruins land Hamilton in the draft - how much for one draft pick higher? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I can see him staying for a three year-$3.5 mill cap hit per if the B's win the cup. If not, PC will probably cut his losses and let him go....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Here is a list of UFA defensemen: http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2011&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

My list is the following:

1. Kevin Bieksa
    2. Yoni Pitkanen
    3. James Wisniewski
    4. Christian Ehrhoff

and if you fail at those 4 give Ian White a try.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

He's not Sergei Gonchar.

Quite honestly, I think we have guys in the system that are gonna be better than him.  Bart's coming along, Kampfer has better wheels, Yury's got good size with PP skills.

I think they do a sign and trade.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

And if he won't sign without a NTC, PC lets him walk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Another scenario Seguin starts popping in those sweet feeds from Tomas that most Bruins forwards don't know what to do with and Kaberle keeps his defensive zone play at the level he's playing now ?

Tomas might just price himself out of Boston if the PP keeps it's upward climb and I prefer younger Wisniewski n Pitkanen. All three will get overpaid because that is the market no matter who Chiarelli signs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i loved the signing, now i'm suspect. he really hasn't shown much since he's been here. the whole "he's learning the system" thing is way blown out of proportion. i could see if he was a scoring dynamo, and had to learn to be more d-first. but that's not the case. clode's system is all about being defensively responsible, how much of a stretch is that for a d-man? i'm waiting to see IT, meaning a reason to sign this guy to a long term contract, and IT"S not there. atleast at what he's asking.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i hear ya king, but let's not lose sight of the overall picture. we've got seguin, and a top ten pick this year. that is nothing to sneeze at. it just makes that kessel trade a little bit less juicy. but still juicy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

RidingWithTheKing, Is that #1 pick Chiarelli gave up that bad ? Brought this from another Kaberle thread...

"Picks 24 through 29 (Where Burke will be picking with Boston's pick) since 1999 Martin Havlat, Brad Boyes, Justin Williams, Steve Ott, Alexandra Steen, Mike Richards, Brian Boyle, Corey Perry, Mike Green, Andrew Cogliano, TJ Oshie, Steve Downie, Nick Foligno, Patrik Berglund, David Perron, Tyler Ennis were picked between those slots and they contributing for their teams in the NHL.

If you want you could throw out the last 2 drafts and that would be 16 out of 50 that are contributing. 4 of which are ,you could say are, super studs. Chiarelli gets 3 shots at getting value for Phat Phil and Burke gets 3 shots at getting value for Kaberle. What position is PC picking from compared to where Burke is picking from ?

Math wise Chiarelli edged Brian at Harvard and I wouldn't say it is even or BB has the upper hand PC is getting a #9 pick this summer Burke might get Nick Boynton in Minnesota."

I think being a GM in doing deadline deals is a bit of a gamble as well. I'm just not convinced that the trade evens out the Kessel trade...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Wisniewski would be an  enormous upgrade over Kaberle. So much so that they could sit pat with this team plus Wisniewski, and not add any more impact players. Imagine W on this team instead of Kaberle right now? Drop the cup off in Boston Garden if that was the case!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Now that you have all witnessed what I have seen for the last seven years, surely you now realize that Kaberle has very little to offer the Bruins. (What were Chiarelli and the Bruins scouts watching?).

His only value is to provide a reasonably solid shift here and there to give the top four defenseman a breather. Beyond that, and it has been this way for many years for him, he is of no use.

He's here, so let use him as is, minimizing his defects. As for next season - forget about it.

As far as I am concerned, we gave away a 1st Rounder and Joe Colborne. And what is worse - if we get into the Stanley Cup Final, Chiarelli has to fork over a 2nd Rounder!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: BIG Question on Kaberle:
    Now that you have all witnessed what I have seen for the last seven years, surely you now realize that Kaberle has very little to offer the Bruins. (What were Chiarelli and the Bruins scouts watching?). His only value is to provide a reasonably solid shift here and there to give the top four defenseman a breather. Beyond that, and it has been this way for the past for many years for him, he is of no use. He's here, so let use him as is, minimizing his defects. As for next season - forget about it.
    Posted by Wheatskins

I guess it's easy for you guys to forget the Bruins are 8-1 in the last 9 games with Kaberle in the lineup. Feel free to join OrrEspoCash in "speculating" what may or may not have happenned if we had Wisnewski instead of Kaberle. I prefer to talk about what is actually happenning(a trip to the conference finals for the first time in 19 years).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

And how do we stop the Colborne Kessel line next year? We couldn't beat Toronto this year without a big center for Kessel! And won't it be funny with Toronto's power play next year, Colborne and Kessel up front and Kaberle at the point. Could definitely happen. In layman's terms we got fleeced.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

i loved the signing, now i'm suspect. he really hasn't shown much since he's been here. the whole "he's learning the system" thing is way blown out of proportion. i could see if he was a scoring dynamo, and had to learn to be more d-first. but that's not the case. clode's system is all about being defensively responsible, how much of a stretch is that for a d-man? i'm waiting to see IT, meaning a reason to sign this guy to a long term contract, and IT"S not there. atleast at what he's asking.
    Posted by adkbeesfan

adk i am right there with u. i was totally for the trade and thought what the bruins payed was worth it. i was wr-wr-wr-wrong. i was so wrong. i am at a loss, kaberle what is that translated to in czech= lemon? if the player im watching play for the bruins is the same guy chairelli scouted before trade then i have so many questions about the talent evaluation department. when asked about trading for kaberle mike milbury said that he looked slow and fat and not that all interested in playing hockey. that sounds alot like the player i have seen over the last 2 months. from were i sit this guy is a colossal bust. everytime i see him hit the ice for 5 on 5 play i hold my breath. the Montreal series he looked like he was dragging a piano. he was better in the Philly series but that isnt saying much. if kampfer was healthy kaberle would be watching games from the 9th floor. he is lucky the sheriff is not the same player he was when he was here 3 years ago. there is no way kaberle should be signed, especially for anything above league minimum.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: BIG Question on Kaberle : I guess it's easy for you guys to forget the Bruins are 8-1 in the last 9 games with Kaberle in the lineup. Feel free to join OrrEspoCash in "speculating" what may or may not have happenned if we had Wisnewski instead of Kaberle. I prefer to talk about what is actually happenning(a trip to the conference finals for the first time in 19 years).
    Posted by dezaruchi

DeZ, we would have been in the same position if we had not made the deal for Kaberle.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

Regardless of whether or not he's "really this bad" about could be better next year, you have $17M to play with this off-season. Why take the chance on resigning someone who didn't play up to expectation for big dollars when you can go get someone else? Drop an offer sheet on Yandle if you want and the opportunity arises. Throw a ton of money at Shea Weber... he's a UFA. You'll STILL have money to beef up the forward corps.
    Bye, Tomas. We hardly knew thee.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: BIG Question on Kaberle : DeZ, we would have been in the same position if we had not made the deal for Kaberle.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Wheats, like I said, you are speculating and I'm talking what is actually happenning. You can't be sure Boston would've even made the playoffs or won the President's trophy without Kaberle. I know what the team is doing right now! You guys are talking like he's costing us games and it's simply not true. Kaberle's long bomb pass to Ryder for a breakaway was the turning point in the playoffs for Boston so far......down 2-1 in the series and 2-0 in that game(O.E.C. and many others had them written off to a sweep). He couldn't have made a better pass than that. So forgive me for not playing the "what if" game. Instead I'll relish the fact that Boston is now solidly built in basically every area and now has a 1 in 4 shot at the cup. I personally see them as the favourite right now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Not sure that's true, Wheat.  Consider that the 7th D is currently Shane Hnidy.  I don't love Kaberle, but the drop-off from Kaberle to Hnidy in terms of puck security and breakout is enough to make a difference in a series that goes to OT in game 7.

So there's one question answered: who is the board's next man-crush.  Answer: James Wizzer Wisniewski.  Guy goes from Chicago to Anaheim to the Isles to the Shabs in the space of four years, but based on his career-year offensive numbers on a team that wouldn't have acquired him if they hadn't been decimated on the blueline, people are jumpin' on.  He was dumped by Chicago just as they started to get good (for Sami 'I was traded for Bourque!' Pahlsson), and he played one full year in Anaheim before they let him walk.  He only made it 32 games on Long Island before they said g'bye! because, even though he was scoring, he was -18!  No thanks.

I think they have no choice but to make a real offer to Kaberle.  If someone wants to top that offer, fine - they can afford to hold the line and lose him that way by saying "we had to respect the salary structure" but they paid too much to just let him walk.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i'll make my point this way, of the top 6 defensemen on the bruins, he's been the least effective. chara- a rock, seids- looking great, ference- dependable as ever, "man"chuk- hitting-scoring, mcquaid- physical presence, kaberle-????-he's been the weakest link SO FAR. jusy sayin'- he's a no.6 guy that should command top dollar??? granted, if he lights it up over the next month- i'll reassess. but to this point he's the bottom rung- that being said- he's the best bottom rung in the nhl!   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Bookboy, what's wrong with letting him walk?

So, you overpaid; that's life. He won't magically improve his play or the powerplay. He is what he is.

Cut your loses, and develop your own - Steve Kampfer. We will be better off in the long run. He'll have a full year of playing time, he won't if Kaberle is around.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

IMO kaberle has not been what we all expected, except Wheatskins, who has watched in Toronto. Chiarelli has done so well with Kelly, Peverly, etc. why is he so wrong on Kaberle? I was with Black and gold in expecting great things, and supporting the original deal, but, so far I would not re-sign Kaberle. I also have a suspicion that chiarelli has a back-up plan which would involve trading Timmy for a stud defenseman. My first choice would be Weber, but they are solid in goal, therefore Chicago could be the alternate scenario.I would also like to see them trade Boychuck for a d-man with smarts.

Sections
Shortcuts