BIG Question on Kaberle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: BIG Question on Kaberle

i'm OK with discussing present performance, but trade talk DURING a playoff run, is way too much. can't we just enjoy those that are here NOW, and leave that for post-season talk? eastern conference finals first, then stanley cup finals, then trade talks. getting a little ahead of ourselves. i mean, if kaberle nets 10 goals over the next month, winning a cup, will there be trade talk? just sayin'

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: BIG Question on Kaberle:
    [QUOTE]Bookboy, what's wrong with letting him walk? So, you overpaid; that's life. He won't magically improve his play or the powerplay. He is what he is. Cut your loses, and develop your own - Steve Kampfer. We will be better off in the long run. He'll have a full year of playing time, he won't if Kaberle is around.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Kampfer has a worse concussion history then Bergy and is also a bit undersized for a defenseman. Counting on him to be your next PMD and to contribute at the level kaberle has shown he can before is a fools game IMO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

WELL Kaberle is in the East Finals
    he hasn't lost in the playoffs as a Bruin yet!
    Are you going to be bashing him when he is holding the cup?
    It is all about winning, he is winning
    If he doesn't hit Ryder with that perfect pass in game four then Boston
    loses to the Habs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

I liked the way he played against Philadelphia but that wasn't much of a test.I am curious to see how Kaberle will respond against the likes of St.Louis,Stamkos etc. in this round.If he plays well the rest of the way I would like him back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I wouldnt give Kaberle more than $2MM per year for a 2 years contract ....and than I would trade him ..if he has decent playoffs we could get a good forward in return ...if the B's win the Cup I would also trade TT to the Fleyrs for Carter ...as much as I love TT ....we have a future SUPERSTAR in Khudobin and an excellent no.2  Tuuka Rask ...I wouldnt be surprised to see the 2 youngsters fighting for the no 1 spot until Christmas and I wont be surprised to see Khudobin winning that battle ...Carter would fit well with the B's since we are probably going to let go Recchi and Ryder ...Carter and Seguin on the roster and maybe Caron-Knight or Spooner will make the roster as well ....

But lets start by winning our 1st of 3 Stanley Cups in a row

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

What you get is what you've got. Wheatskins says Kaberle is just like he was in Toronto, so don't expect too much more. He is slower than I expected, and speedy wingers seem to throw him off stride. Not adjusting to Claude's " system" may be a valid point as his reactions are built in, and not changed in the space of two months. i've allready stated that IMO he doesn't show enough to be re-signed, especially at $4 mil. Are you also advocating re-signing Slyder/Ryder because of a few contributing moments? Do we also just sit back and accept Claude's choice of Thornton rather than Caron? Sure Thorny's a good guy, but do we or don't we want to win??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

bogie..."do we or don't we want to win"?- were you around for that sweep last week? what are you talking about?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbruin4. Show mrbruin4's posts

NO IAN WHITE         JEEZ   HE IS NOT WORTH 3 MIL A YR      ASK ANY TEAM HE PLAYED FOR  TOR, CAL, CAR,     DOIN OK WITH SHARKS AS HE WAS JUST TO ADD DEPTH NO PRESSURE   KABERLE IS 10 TIMES BETTER     AND YES     PC WILL PROBABLY RE SIGN  HIM

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeonetwo. Show Mikeonetwo's posts

If this season pans out correctly. Why resign him?

If, it doesn't work out, the only reason to keep him would be so the deal wouldn't look like such a swindle.

I'd like to see him gone either way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Wheat - I hear you, and I have no illusions about Kaberle being a top-tier defenseman.  But.  When you pay what they paid for him, I think he has to be a nautical disaster for them to just walk away - thanks, Tomas but it didn't work out.  It's not us it's you.  You walk based on what he's shown in the playoffs so far, and it looks like you're completely second-guessing yourself.  The PP performance has not been good, so maybe you look at that and say the PP is a nautical disaster, but how much of that is Kaberle?  Well, let's see.

1. "He doesn't shoot enough."  No, he doesn't, but when he does he gets the puck to the net.  Unlike Chara, Seidenberg or Boychuk, he isn't a guy who shoots to score, but he has those three guys to partner with so he isn't your first shooting option at any point in time.  Him not shooting is not the reason the PP stinks.

2. "PP didn't improve when he arrived."  No, he didn't have an immediate impact on the PP.  Know what that tells me? An offensive defenseman wasn't the key to improving the PP.  Remember his first game against Ottawa when Chara hammered shot after shot toward the net, but only landed 4 - all right in the face of the Seniorita logo?  Must have been at least 10 good looks on soft passes.  If Chara buries one, and if another one or two are saved but produce garbage rebounds, Kaberle's done nothing different and the PP looks dynamite.

3. "He's too soft defensively if he doesn't help the PP."  He was +6 in the regular season with Boston.  He's +5 in the playoffs, which is mid-range to the rest of the D pack (Chara aside - he's +11 and dragging Seidenberg up to +8).

4. Geoff Ward.  The PP has been moribund for two years, with and without Kaberle, with and without Marc Savard, with and without a net-front presence like Lucic, with and without a sniper like Horton....  The problem on the entry looked like something a rushing defenseman might fix, but nobody short of Orr could do what the Bruin PP needs the rushing D to do.  They look like a petrified forest between the red line and the O-blueline, and the guy rushing the puck looks like he's trying to thread his way through.  Kaberle is not even the right kind of D to do this.  Not even close - not fast, not super shifty.  He's a passer.  A guy who calms the puck down and helps you keep possession.  Anyone have any clue who this PP is built around?

Get the right coach to design a PP and you'll get points out of having Kaberle.  He's adjusted to the system well enough to be a plus player as a 5-6 D who plays 1-2D on the PP - in the playoffs, he's 5th on the team in overall TOI, but he's first among D in PP TOI.  Over a full year, I think he helps them enough to justify his presence - probably more than Kampfer, and you have to think that with the guys they have signed for next year already and the distance they've travelled this year, they're looking to maximize this window.

That's why I say they have to have a bit of faith in what they originally saw in him to pay a high price - but it's also why I think they look at a number and say "if someone offers him X or more, we let him walk."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

No one EVER does sign and trades in the NHL. Plus, if you resign him, you give up a conditional pick to Toronto (unless we make the final, in which case, it's a moot point). Regardless of how we do as a team, we can improve our D-corps dramatically by letting him walk and getting someone new/better.

Imagine:
    Chara-Weber/Yandle
    Seidenberg-McQuaid
    Ference-Boychuk-Kampfer

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I have no problem with Kaberle's play.  He makes very few mistakes.  I feel very confident when he has the puck that he will make a good decision.  People are unhappy with him because he is neither physical nor flashy, but that doesn't mean he is bad or even weak defensively.  He's not a minus player and he is good and stopping the attack and getting it out.  However, I he hasn't done enough to say he is that kind of special player that is worth in excess of 4 million a year.  If he is looking for less than that, then I would consider him going forward because I like the team better with him than without him.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I have no problem with Kaberle's play.  He makes very few mistakes.  I feel very confident when he has the puck that he will make a good decision.  People are unhappy with him because he is neither physical nor flashy, but that doesn't mean he is bad or even weak defensively.  He's not a minus player and he is good and stopping the attack and getting it out.  However, I he hasn't done enough to say he is that kind of special player that is worth in excess of 4 million a year.  If he is looking for less than that, then I would consider him going forward because I like the team better with him than without him.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I agree. I also think that he is not the type "looking to cash in" in the free agent market. Look how long he stuck it out with TO.  He may want to stay with a winning team in his remaining years so it is possbile he will stay for reasonable money...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonguy67. Show bostonguy67's posts

Unless Kabes' play in the next two rounds contributes to a Duck Tour procession in June, I hope Chia cuts bait. 

It's difficult to admit a mistake and painful to have given up useful assets but the Bruins will be better off long term if they don't give Kaberle a 3 or 4 year deal that ties up cap space. 

If you can get Kaberle to sign a short term deal at ~$2-2.5 million than it's something to consider.

Kabes = Julio Lugo (Another Boston GM fell in love and overrated the skill/fit of a player)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beesbear. Show beesbear's posts

Why are we even talking about this guy , he is a waste out there, no wonder the leafs can't win anything, we are now finding this out, cut our lose's and get rid of this guy, GO BRUINS GO...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I have no problem if it ends up being somewhere in the $2.5-$3.5 range. As long as the value matches the player, what's not to like? There isn't a better option at that price in the off-season.

And the Bs don't have $17mil to play with, unless Savard retires. That won't be known by the time Kaberle's contract is up, so the decision has to be made assuming Savard returns and there's much less $$ to go around.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Remember PC came out and was openly critical of his play early on. I haven't heard him retract that (maybe I missed it? correct me if I'm wrong). I will be VERY surprised if they re-sign him after this season.....unless they have no decent alternatives and/or get him for good price.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I have no problem if it ends up being somewhere in the $2.5-$3.5 range. As long as the value matches the player, what's not to like? There isn't a better option at that price in the off-season. And the Bs don't have $17mil to play with, unless Savard retires. That won't be known by the time Kaberle's contract is up, so the decision has to be made assuming Savard returns and there's much less $$ to go around.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

You are right about them not having 17 mill.

Here are the real numbers:

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=5

And it does not include signing Marchand or bonus carrovers from this year either.

There is not as much money available as people seem to claim

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BIG Question on Kaberle : Wheats, like I said, you are speculating and I'm talking what is actually happenning. You can't be sure Boston would've even made the playoffs or won the President's trophy without Kaberle. I know what the team is doing right now! You guys are talking like he's costing us games and it's simply not true. Kaberle's long bomb pass to Ryder for a breakaway was the turning point in the playoffs for Boston so far......down 2-1 in the series and 2-0 in that game(O.E.C. and many others had them written off to a sweep). He couldn't have made a better pass than that. So forgive me for not playing the "what if" game. Instead I'll relish the fact that Boston is now solidly built in basically every area and now has a 1 in 4 shot at the cup. I personally see them as the favourite right now.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

dez im sorry but i have to disagree. is he costing the bruins games no but he's not playing any type of meaningful minutes. his long bomb pass was really good but whats his 2nd best play in these 11 playoff games? what maybe the pinch on lucic pp goal other than that highlight reel is empty. i disagree with ryders goal being the turning point. it was am important one but think ference goal after the timeout was every bit as big maybe bigger. im not trying to play the what if game. the only thing i know is that he was brought in to be the qb of the power play and the power play has gotten worse since his arrival. they do have a 1 and 4 shot but without bergeron playing for any large amount of time i dont consider them the favorite, but i think they have enough to get by the lightning. beating 1 of the 3 left in the west without patrice would be a tall order without the bruins best 2way player.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: BIG Question on Kaberle:[QUOTE] As far as I am concerned, we gave away a 1st Rounder and Joe Colborne. And what is worse - if we get into the Stanley Cup Final, Chiarelli has to fork over a 2nd Rounder! Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

I don't like the chances of what Burke might get between picks 25-29 me thinks it was worth the risk Chiarelli made. I remember this board when PC didn't make moves at the past two deadlines...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BIG Question on Kaberle : I don't like the chances of what Burke might get between picks 25-29 me thinks it was worth the risk Chiarelli made. I remember this board when PC didn't make moves at the past two deadlines...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Hindsight is 20/20 and most of us wanted him to make this move. I want the Bruins to get 85% of the way there through regular moves and development, then look for the extra 15% to get them over the top if it seems like they have a legitimate chance at a Cup run. Other teams made their moves. The Bruins made theirs. Wouldn't change that at all....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: BIG Question on Kaberle:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BIG Question on Kaberle : Agreed. Hindsight is 20/20 and most of us wanted him to make this move. I want the Bruins to get 85% of the way there through regular moves and development, then look for the extra 15% to get them over the top if it seems like they have a legitimate chance at a Cup run. Other teams made their moves. The Bruins made theirs. Wouldn't change that at all....posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Gotta your play cards and live with that some will second guess your play can't please everyone.

Sections
Shortcuts