Biggest Dirtbags In NHL (recent) History

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Re: Biggest Dirtbags In NHL (recent) History

This dude does not like that Marchand has been called the Little Ball of Hate.  I laughed at the following:

The issue: This has apparently been going on for a while, but I only became aware of it this week: Boston Bruins fans and media have spent the past few years thinking Brad Marchand’s nickname is “The Little Ball of Hate.”

The outrage: That nickname had previously belonged to retired forward Pat Verbeek.

Is it justified: Hey, Bruins fans, lean in to your monitor. Closer. Closer … [Smacks screen with rolled-up newspaper.] No! No! [Shakes newspaper threateningly.] NO!

This is just inexcusable. How can you try to steal “Little Ball of Hate”? It’s not even on the same level as calling LaDainian Tomlinson “LT," since at least that was a case of shared initials. In a sport that thinks adding an “er” to the end of a guy’s name instead of an “ie” is what passes for stunning creativity, we’re talking about arguably the greatest nickname of all time, and a guy is just flat out trying to steal it. This cannot stand.

And don’t tell me that it’s OK because President Obama called him that. Obama doesn’t know anything about hockey; he probably called Marchand that because somebody told him to. That means somebody associated with the Bruins lied to the president, which — if I know my U.S. constitutional law — is treason. (Note: I do not know my U.S. constitutional law.)

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/52666/nhl-grab-bag-me-or-dap-me-keenan

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

That was BS when Ulf headbutted Domi's fist, he should've been suspended.  Intent to injure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

This is one of the best things I've read in a long time. Every "Legacy" statement is priceless.

"Legacy: Gave Sabre fans valuable practice at defending the indefensible, which they are using now."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

1. Cooke

2. Cooke

3. Cooke

4. Cooke

5. Cooke

6. Cooke

7. Cooke

8. Cooke

9. Cooke

10. Samuelsson (Ulf)

Does this give you an indicator of "dirtbag?" Ulf once topped my list of dirty players, but this clown act has gone beyond being an idiot. How many careers has this idiot ended? How many needless, unpenalized hits, and how many times has the NHL looked the other way on suspending him? Pathetic. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Does this give you an indicator of "dirtbag?" Ulf once topped my list of dirty players, but this clown act has gone beyond being an idiot. How many careers has this idiot ended? How many needless, unpenalized hits, and how many times has the NHL looked the other way on suspending him? Pathetic. 

One?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I actually think that Dale Hunter is very underrated in this department.  I didn't even really hate him when he played and he seemed to never do anything horrible to the Bruins (last year's playoffs notwithstanding) which is maybe why he slips under the radar a little here.

But I think he has three hits that are solidly in the top 10 dirtiest I have ever seen, if not top 5.  This article nails it, with links to all three.  

The elbow on Murphy is shocking by any standard, the one on Nieuwendyk is an actual illustration of attempted murder by stanchion for Montreal fans to review, and the Turgeon hit is just about the worst thing that ever happened in playoff hockey.  By today's standards, I firmly believe that Hunter would be banned for life for those three hits.  Yet, he is revered in Washington as a pillar of the franchise and his number hangs in the rafters.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Hunter nearly carved out Rick Middleton's eye one year and Nifty went to a visor and helmet due to it. But that's why they called him Deer Hunter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

DH could also stand for... Dck Head. I like that one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Talented, sure but didn't Mark Messier often play like a dirtbag?  (I'm enjoying the wealth of links in this article.  Really cleverly written stuff.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

For the internet impaired:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/53659/who-is-the-nhls-biggest-dirtbag-of-all-time

So I just figured out how to link a URL.  Go NAS Go!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Hunter nearly carved out Rick Middleton's eye one year and Nifty went to a visor and helmet due to it. But that's why they called him Deer Hunter.

That was Chris Nilan I think Danny.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't know if Tikkanen belongs in the same category as the rest of them. Not really dirty. Don't know if him of Verbeek ever tried to intentionally hurt someone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I don't know if Tikkanen belongs in the same category as the rest of them. Not really dirty. Don't know if him of Verbeek ever tried to intentionally hurt someone.

Tell that to Langway's achilles tendon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Kel, I don't think it's all about trying to injure people.  If that were the case, Chris Simon would have made the list!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yep they let pretty much anyone write article these days. Poorly written and not that funny or insightful at all.

PS. You have to a complete idiot not to be able to figure out how to configure a web link into a hyperlink on BDC.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

SanDog, I can't believe you feel that this article is poorly written.  I really can't.

But, let's compare.  What would you offer for a well written article that employs research and comedy?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Kel, I don't think it's all about trying to injure people.  If that were the case, Chris Simon would have made the list!

Yeah, guess I just saw the word dirtbag and figured dirty...Never read Granland before, i looked up some of the older stuff, good reads, thanks for the heads up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/53471/nhl-grab-bag-kaleta-sucks-nerds-rise-up-and-gomez-scores-no-seriously-you-guys

It's interesting and it's fun.  How can anyone say this is poorly written?