Biggest punk in Boston sports over the past 10 years?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Biggest punk in Boston sports over the past 10 years?

Retired players are fine but let's keep it to this century. People have been harping on Marchand but I think he's not even top 3 in Boston sports.

My top 5
    1) Rodney Harrison - Not much explanation neeeded. Used to take people's heads off.
    2) Merriweather - One of the hardest hitters, used to take people out in college and high school. Still head hunting.
    3) Garnett - Never shuts up, always talking smack. Being a little psycho brings it up a notch.
    4) Pierce - exhibit # 1 = Throwing gang signs at opponents.
    5) Peddy & Marchand - Little guys that never shut up. Gnats

And I don't care about how they are off the field or in interviews. Matt Cooke runs a charity so I don't care how likable they are or if you've met them and they're nice people. (side note, I've heard Youk is a db)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Re: Biggest punk in Boston sports over the past 10 years?

peddy? seriously, peddy? try again

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Pedroia, yes. He's a punk. So is Garnett. That doesn't mean that they are bad players. Just that they are huge trash talkers and never stop yelling at opponents.

Ask anyone that knows the Red Sox. They'll tell you he never stops. Just because he's doing it from the dugout or at the plate doesn't mean it's not trash talking and being a punk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

firstly i was objecting to him being on the list....ridiculous, second i was objecting to the absurd spelling of "peddy"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the sox carl everett, and b's mcsorley(might be just beyond the 10 yr. limit?)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

You think it's ridiculous because you automatically have a negative connotation to the word punk. A punk is a trash talker. One that tries to get under opponents skins through trash talking. Pedroia is a punk just like Marchand and I put them on equal standing.

Here are two articles for you. Guy never shuts up.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/dustin_pedroia/page2
    "He also recalls the kid's towering self-assurance: "At 15, he came up and introduced himself by saying, 'We're going to take it to you guys today.' "
    "Then, in the seventh, the game's final inning, Pedroia uncorked a three-run home run to push Woodland to a 4–3 lead. In the bottom half, he flipped a double play. "Dustin single-handedly won the game," Rinaldi recalls. Afterward, Pedroia gave his coach an earful. "Who you want on your team now?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3512455
    "He's a little loudmouth punk."
    "I'm telling you, if they play that song tonight, I'm stopping the game. I'm going up to the booth and fighting the guy at the controls. Enough already."
    Pedroia yelling to Millar - "Hey, 2004 was like 20 years ago! And all you did was walk! Mariano let four fly! It was not, like, some 12-pitch at-bat!"
    "Yeah, he's one of a kind," (Brian) Roberts says. "He and I work out at the same place in Arizona in the off-season, and I've seen him call out NFL players during Ping-Pong games, asking them when they're starting Jenny Craig. He told Brady Quinn, who is a monster, a physical specimen, 'I'm going to rip this ball right off your throat.' He's a piece of work."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

And this is a great Pedroia quote

It's a philosophy he developed at Arizona State. During Pedroia's sophomore year, coach Pat Murphy asked him about a pitcher's slider, and the kid responded, "It's so nasty!" Pedroia was already one of the Sun Devils' best hitters, so Murphy told him, "Never let your teammates hear you say anything like that." From that point on, the better a pitcher threw the ball, the more Pedroia said he sucked. Once, after ripping a leadoff single off Wichita State's Mike Pelfrey (now with the Mets), Pedroia shouted at the pitcher as he rounded first, "Ninety-eight coming in, 102 going out!"

Sorry, no more Sox talk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

In Response to Biggest punk in Boston sports over the past 10 years?:
    [QUOTE]Retired players are fine but let's keep it to this century. People have been harping on Marchand but I think he's not even top 3 in Boston sports. My top 5 1) Rodney Harrison - Not much explanation neeeded. Used to take people's heads off. 2) Merriweather - One of the hardest hitters, used to take people out in college and high school. Still head hunting. 3) Garnett - Never shuts up, always talking smack. Being a little psycho brings it up a notch. 4) Pierce - exhibit # 1 = Throwing gang signs at opponents. 5) Peddy & Marchand - Little guys that never shut up. Gnats And I don't care about how they are off the field or in interviews. Matt Cooke runs a charity so I don't care how likable they are or if you've met them and they're nice people. (side note, I've heard Youk is a db)
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]
    ==================================
      Nothing better to do with your time?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

In Response to Re: Biggest punk in Boston sports over the past 10 years?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Biggest punk in Boston sports over the past 10 years? : ==================================   Nothing better to do with your time?
    Posted by djbosox2004[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure you can lump that message into every other message board.

I'll go save some whales.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Jonathan Papelbon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Youklis is a punk.  Disliked throughout the league.  Garnett is doing the gamemanship thing.  Pedoria is a ego.  Marchand is a pain, he needs to control the pest role or he will end up hurting the team in the playoffs more than helping.  BTW he is quick and goes for the net.  Got to like that in a Bs uniform.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Not the worst by any means -- but we did inherit Ken (The Rat) Linseman for a good 6 seasons.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Biggest punk in Boston sports over the past 10 years?:
    [QUOTE]Not the worst by any means -- but we did inherit Ken (The Rat) Linseman for a good 6 seasons.
    Posted by zamboni24[/QUOTE]
    Linesman always dropped the mitts and took it like a man though.I never saw him win a fight but he always took his licks for any of his shenanigans.He was an honest dirty player(if there's any such thing).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Are you kidding? It has to be Randy Moss!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

I don't see Pierce or Garnett as a punk

Papelbon is not a punk, he's just a dink who's full of himself for 0 reason

What about PJ Stock?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

The little guys (Marchand & Pedroia on this thread, but there has been hundreds over the years in all sports) talk s*%^ as a self-confidence tactic IMO anyway.....the talk calms nerves, and allows an athlete to develop that self-confidence that they belong & can succeed at any level.  They need that little extra edge to compete with those gifted natural athletes.

Some talk smack just cause they are THAT good....Bird & Jordan come to mind in this category.

Sections
Shortcuts