Bizarre All-star format

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Bizarre All-star format

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=543059&navid=DL|NHL|home

No conference restrictions, team captains chosen by the all-stars, and then we get to see who is considered the equivalent of the short/wheezy kid that gets picked last.

Have to give them credit for at least trying something different.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: Bizarre All-star format

I kind of like the idea.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Yeah, had seen that. Should be... different. Who do you pick, your best friend, teammate, the best guy?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

I kinda like the idea but it could open a can of worms like when the coaches used to get to name a player to there team and Milbury added Chris Nilan to the east squad.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I don't mind the idea, but why not take it to the next step - select the captains and alternates, and then just throw a pile of sticks in the centre of the ice. That may sound odd to non-hockey fans, but at least it's traditional. It would be neat to see the coaches have to make-up the lines on the fly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

red75 said

I don't mind the idea, but why not take it to the next step - select the captains and alternates, and then just throw a pile of sticks in the centre of the ice. That may sound odd to non-hockey fans, but at least it's traditional. It would be neat to see the coaches have to make-up the lines on the fly.

I agree that is the true hockey way to pick teams, but in this case how do you arrive at whose sticks are in the pile..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I was thinking the same thing red!

Buck - Players will still be selected to the all-star team the same way, it's just the captains get to choose the teams.

It will be interesting to see if players from the same team end up on opposite all star squads.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This game becomes less and less relevant by the format.  I thought Canada against the World had some juice still....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

For some reason the "reply to post" button is gone so this is  @BuckNakie

The players who are in the game are still selected the same way, Fan Votes and NHL Board selection. The captains simply pick who's on thier team.

I really like the "sticks in the middle suggestion" That would be epic. Imagine a group of the absolute best hockey players in the world throwing down pond hockey style :gasm:!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

yeah i absolutely love this idea. It will be interesting just to see who gets picked, to think about why they are picking.

I'm really looking forward to this game.

1st year captains need to be Crosby/Ovechkin, and they should televise the fantasy draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

They are both East Coast though. Id like to see something sort of unexpected like:

Stamkos/Sedin << Mostly this
    Ovechkin/Thornton
    Crosby/Toews

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Yeah I'd like that too I-Like-Hockey, the best part here is there are a lot of options.  I even wonder about a round-robin 3v3 tourney where the players can choose their teams. That would be awesome too.

The all-star game just got a whole lot better in my opinion

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Though with Crosby/Ovechkin it would be neat to see who picks Malkin first.

Though if I was a player going to the All-Star game I'd want to pick a player for captain with team/organization smarts to draft a good team for me to play on. I think that would leave out Ovechkin (I could see him trying to pick all Russians and not take it too seriously)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

lol, good point red7, it would be interesting to see Malkin go off the board.. See, there are so many interesting sub plots to this game now--instead the typical boredom.

It also does show the NHL is the bellwether when it comes to improving their product these days.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah Olsonic, I agree - I'm actually excited about the All-Star game for once. This is pretty much every hockey poolie's dream, the opportunity to draft a team for real. And also, TSN has already said they will cover the draft.

Or even better, Crosby and Ovechkin are the last two picked lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

I personally think this is a dumb idea. Are you serious?

Better format idea would be

1) Last years Stanley cup champions vs All stars

2) Rookies (1st two years) vs All stars

The proposed format makes the last few guys standing in the draft feel dumb. It won't be even based on legit reasons (performance) why they are left off but having to do with bias reasons. Imagine if you have a situation where the captain say it is Ovechkin has to choose between Semin or Backstrom between the two last picks and he chooses Semin? Does this mean because he is a fellow countryman? How about more interestingly if Ovechkin chooses Chara over Semin with the last two picks remaining? How will Semin feel after the game as they play on the same team?

I'm maginifying how things can get potentially ugly (hopefully it won't get like that). Also what are you naming the two teams? Team a vs team b? Team Malkin vs Team Crosby? (lame)

They used to have at one time the previous years stanley cup winner vs best all stars from the entire league. I don't know why they don't comeback with this idea. It would be quite exciting to watch

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bhanlon156. Show bhanlon156's posts

I love this idea.  And I would like to see ESPN show the selection under the title, "The Decision 2: Electric Boogaloo."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Bizarre All-star format:
    I personally think this is a dumb idea. Are you serious? Better format idea would be 1) Last years Stanley cup champions vs All stars 2) Rookies (1st two years) vs All stars The proposed format makes the last few guys standing in the draft feel dumb. It won't be even based on legit reasons (performance) why they are left off but having to do with bias reasons. Imagine if you have a situation where the captain say it is Ovechkin has to choose between Semin or Backstrom between the two last picks and he chooses Semin? Does this mean because he is a fellow countryman? How about more interestingly if Ovechkin chooses Chara over Semin with the last two picks remaining? How will Semin feel after the game as they play on the same team? I'm maginifying how things can get potentially ugly (hopefully it won't get like that). Also what are you naming the two teams? Team a vs team b? Team Malkin vs Team Crosby? (lame) They used to have at one time the previous years stanley cup winner vs best all stars from the entire league. I don't know why they don't comeback with this idea. It would be quite exciting to watch
    Posted by yaz16

Actually according to CBC Radio One, sources are saying it will likely be Team Right-to-Play vs. Team Make-a-Wish, which I think is a great idea.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Great idea!!!  Too bad the game will still blow.

Sections
Shortcuts