BizNasty Opens Your Eyes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsLegion. Show BruinsLegion's posts

Re: BizNasty Opens Your Eyes

Just a thought here... but don't the PAs of the sports leagues make it impossible for the owners to police themselves on contracts?

I keep hearing this lament about how the owners should just stop giving out ridiculous contracts... and though I do agree with this on sentiment, I have to ask...  how do they stop from getting sued by the unions for collusion?

It seems to me they are in a catch-22... pay the big bucks because they have no way of knowing what other team is going to outbid them or roughly agree what too much is and get sued for collusion.

Am I missing something?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In response to BruinsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just a thought here... but don't the PAs of the sports leagues make it impossible for the owners to police themselves on contracts?

I keep hearing this lament about how the owners should just stop giving out ridiculous contracts... and though I do agree with this on sentiment, I have to ask...  how do they stop from getting sued by the unions for collusion?

You  are 100% correct owners are damn if they do and damn if they don't.  If they don't spend their cheap and should sell the team but if they spend they deserve to lose money because they created the problem.

It seems to me they are in a catch-22... pay the big bucks because they have no way of knowing what other team is going to outbid them or roughly agree what too much is and get sued for collusion.

Am I missing something?

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to BruinsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am I missing something?

[/QUOTE]

don't think so.  collusion is banding together to thwart the market.  being a sound business person, not succumbing to every titilating prospect and understanding you can't have everything, is a good place to start.  the owner of the boston Bruins is one of the best examples on the planet.  he's always spent prudently, and his team, over the past 35 years has been incredibly competitive year in and year out.  for most of his tenure he's been an incredible cheapskate, and he always has rightfully maintained it takes smarts more than money to build a great team. 

again, not collusion, just good economics.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]
    Good point Fletch. When folks try to compare the NHL to a "regular job", it's easy for them to forget how short the earning window can be. Nobody's retiring at 65 in the NHL

[/QUOTE]

Correct, however, if a guy makes $50K a year, starting at 27 years old, he'll be 67 when he reaches $2M.

40 years.

It takes the Bruins goon two.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]
    Good point Fletch. When folks try to compare the NHL to a "regular job", it's easy for them to forget how short the earning window can be. Nobody's retiring at 65 in the NHL

[/QUOTE]

Correct, however, if a guy makes $50K a year, starting at 27 years old, he'll be 67 when he reaches $2M.

40 years.

It takes the Bruins goon two.

[/QUOTE]

Decent point NAS, but sports is part of entertainment & really isn't that part of another world in itself? I just don't see the comparison being fair. The entertainment & sports industry people who make it are like lotto winners. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Decent point NAS, but sports is part of entertainment & really isn't that part of another world in itself? I just don't see the comparison being fair. The entertainment & sports industry people who make it are like lotto winners. 

[/QUOTE]

It could be seen that way, but to me, I see it as a guy who takes two years to make what an average person might make in 30 cannot complain about his employer cutting his pay.

A hockey goon is not a special person.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It could be seen that way, but to me, I see it as a guy who takes two years to make what an average person might make in 30 cannot complain about his employer cutting his pay.

A hockey goon is not a special person.

[/QUOTE]

i agree a hockey goon isn't that special, however, you seem to be lumping all players in that category economically.  this is about a much bigger issue. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i agree a hockey goon isn't that special, however, you seem to be lumping all players in that category economically.  this is about a much bigger issue. 

[/QUOTE]

Okay, Sidney Crosby makes about $23K a day.  Many Americans don't make that in a year.  If he only does that for the next 10 years, I am not concerned with his not working past the age of 35.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Here's another angle when discussing goons and they make sometimes more than the worst lowest player in the league.

Here's what the NHLPA should understand; The lowest paid player in the league is guaranteed to make a minimum .  Does the team with the lowest source of revenue guarantee to make money ? That owner loses money.

Before someone says take those teams and move them somewhere else please note that there's too many teams that would need to be moved and not enough replacement cities. It's in the best interest of the PA those teams make money because if just one goes bust the PA will lose money.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's another angle when discussing goons and they make sometimes more than the worst lowest player in the league.

Here's what the NHLPA should understand; The lowest paid player in the league is guaranteed to make a minimum .  Does the team with the lowest source of revenue guarantee to make money ? That owner loses money.

Before someone says take those teams and move them somewhere else please note that there's too many teams that would need to be moved and not enough replacement cities. It's in the best interest of the PA those teams make money because if just one goes bust the PA will lose money.

[/QUOTE]

I think it would be great if the NHL rolled back salaries 85% and put a freeze on them for five years.

Eventually the players would have to cave or be replaced.  Honestly, if the NHL teams decided to stop doing business with the NHLPA and instead hired all members of the PHPA, I'd watch just as many games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Okay, I'm not sure where I am going with this, but I think it might be useful information when trying to decide who is being more greedy:

How many years is typical for a non-negligible player career?  7?

How many years does your typical owner own a team?  20?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

The owners chose how much to pay the players. So to pass an agreement that says how much players should earn is a joke. Just a way for owners to charge fans more and pay employees less. Pure greed.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

If they rolled back salaries 85% they would all play over seas. And the NHL would be the second best league in the world. It would be like watching the cfl instead of the nfl think I'm all set with that. I pay to see the best I would just order the kohl on my tv and say bye bye to the NHL. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Simply economic rules: Supply and demand....what the market will bear.  Free labor, and free enterprize.  Hockey players and owners seeking out venues from those who love to watch the sport at a very high level.  Those who watch have been paying.  Soooooo, bump.

Please gallery gods give me hockey once more.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

funny how the people with the most money make the rules. shocker. as for the players, i don't feel bad for them for one second. they chose a profession with a very short shelf life. they made a gamble, hoping to secure their living playing a few years of hockey. am i supposed to feel bad for someone who's played a game for their living and makes 7 figures doing it? am i supposed to feel bad for a billionaire that cares for nothing but ensuring profit? don't get me wrong, athletic prowess is very entertaining to watch. but billionaires and millionaires fighting about who can't get by without making that kind of money, is sickening. here are some suggestions for those of you that don't know what to do with your time freed up by the absence of an nhl season. 1) read a book 2) volunteer your time to a charity 3) spend more time with your kids/loved ones 4) spend more time outdoors 5) realize that YOU made these people rich by spending YOUR money on their goods- STOP SPENDING YOUR HARD EARNED CASH ON THESE UNGRATEFUL SPOILED BRATS. that goes to both sides- the players and the owners. the 10 dollar beer is just as ludicrous as a person making millions to play hockey(or any sport for that matter). we can stop the insanity by simply choosing to spend OUR money elsewhere. no center ice, no games, no apparel- there, now that was easy. 

Sections
Shortcuts