BizNasty Opens Your Eyes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

BizNasty Opens Your Eyes

"Fans. The players understand your frustration. But at the end of the day we are fighting for our futures, not yours. That's the reality."

There it is.  For all of you that are crucifying the owners and crying for the players, here's their point of view.  Paul Bissonnette makes $737,000 a year and it a 100% worthless goon.  5 NHL goals, 3 NHL assists and hasn't played more than 50 games in a season.

Keep crying for the injustice of it all. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: BizNasty Opens Your Eyes

Ouch !  "  not yours " ? 

does he think all his followers are that dumb !  OF COURSE IT'S NOT OUR FUTURE , DUMB AZZZ!

What a real stupid and selfish comment.  

Has he deleted it ?

Poor guy he's afraid of getting a pay cut from 7.37k to 6.8k for those numbers

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

But a later comment says it all IMO

Question to the fans. If a company you worked for was making money and they asked you to take a 24% pay cut would you do it?

Yes, they are all overpaid.  And their numbers sound big, but after their careers are over they will have no other income that comes close to that.  I'm making in the general neighborhood of 100k a year, plus my wife is 50k a year.  Does this sound like astronomical money to your guys?  Mr. Sluggo will make his 700k for what, another 2 orr 3 years maybe?  I've got about 11 years left in my career and that will bring us at least 1.5 million, probably more.  And we live decently, but not fantastic.

Do your own math on what you will make over your career and then compare yourself to them.  Their careers will be over soon, you will continue to earn and get raises.  When their careers are over they have no other skills but hockey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

So what happens after he retires?  He has to get a real job and join the working world?  He has to be a common person? 

Don't cry for me, Jan Hrdina.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I actually think he's on much more solid ground than a lot of the other guys.  He knows he has a very short career and it could be over tomorrow.  He might only have a 5 or 6 year window to make his 700k, and then what the heck is he gonna do?  

It makes perfect sense, and for all of the people here who have argued from the beginning that all sides are pretty much equally selfish, the quote above is hardly even interesting.  I might be shocked if I thought one side was sleazy on the basis of their profession, but I don't. Everyone is trying to get theirs.  The difference with Bissonette, is that at least he really needs it.

If anyone thought the players were out to save the fans, instead of themselves this story would be...wait, forget that.  Nobody actually thought that.  Right? 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

So what happens after he retires?  He has to get a real job and join the working world?  He has to be a common person? 

Don't cry for me, Jan Hrdina.

And I get that.  I just want to point out that other people that are the top in their professions, actors, doctors, lawyers & etc. have longer careers and will make more money than professional athletes in their lifetimes.

I think the most important aspect of this is the psychology.

Famous experiment.  You and I find $10.  I'm holding the money.  I propose a split.  If you don't agree with the split, the whole $10 goes into the sewer, and both of us get zero.

Will you split 50/50 - everyone says yes.

Will you split 40/60 - most say maybe

will you split 30/70 - at this point most people start saying that they would rather get 0 rather than you getting 7 and them getting 3.

Logically it make sense that you would accept 1 cent and they get 9.99 because you are going to be 1 cent richer.

But people's sense of fairness comes into play, and really that's the name of the game here.  

Neither side will starve to death lockout or no.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

No Fletch nobody actually thought the fans were doing this for the fans , I hope not.

We're suckers anyway because for sure I will contnue to pay for his and others salary , even after a lockout, even if they strike in 2years or even if there is no season.  Yes I'm a suck !

In the meantime I'll pay somebody else's salary with my spare change.

and Shot, Bissonette won't work after he retires, he'll invest in something and still make a living doing nada . So many followers like this guy.  maybe he'll open up a hockey school ?  Make Thornton a partner ? (just for you)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

BadHab, not sure if you're self employed or an employee .  As a boss would you split your profit 50/50 ? Does your boss do the same ?

I think 50/50 is very fair considering what the other sports are doing and the reality. 

and how many times do I have to hear "  it's the owners fault for giving those contracts "  or " they put themsleves in this situation "  " this is a way to cover their mistakes "  and on and on.... does it matter ? It's their money they are overpaying and they can decide whenever they want how to manage their money. Agree with it or not, it is what it is.

Now got to bring the real player on the ice ,  the kid !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bosbruins2011cup's comment:

Funny how the owners are locking the players out and crying about money but yet they keep signing players to extensions right before the deadline. Something doesn't add up here.

There's an interesting and original thought.  (See:  Headlines with a lockout looming)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to bosbruins2011cup's comment:

Funny how the owners are locking the players out and crying about money but yet they keep signing players to extensions right before the deadline. Something doesn't add up here.

GMs are told how close to the cap they can go to sign players, Chiarelli can spend to the cap. It's a smart move becuase most General Managers are convinced there will be a roll back in salarys once the players finally look at Fehr and say "Ok that was dumb to hold out and all we got was 49% HRR anyway".

"does he think all his followers are that dumb !"

Well Legion having spent allot of time in Snottsdale, AZ. where Biz constantly hangs out you would know how dumb his followers are. Ditzy ASU hangers on who could care less how dumb Biz is. So the answer to your question Legion is- YES!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I actually think he's on much more solid ground than a lot of the other guys.  He knows he has a very short career and it could be over tomorrow.  He might only have a 5 or 6 year window to make his 700k, and then what the heck is he gonna do?  

It makes perfect sense, and for all of the people here who have argued from the beginning that all sides are pretty much equally selfish, the quote above is hardly even interesting.  I might be shocked if I thought one side was sleazy on the basis of their profession, but I don't. Everyone is trying to get theirs.  The difference with Bissonette, is that at least he really needs it.

If anyone thought the players were out to save the fans, instead of themselves this story would be...wait, forget that.  Nobody actually thought that.  Right? 

Good point Fletch. When folks try to compare the NHL to a "regular job", it's easy for them to forget how short the earning window can be. Nobody's retiring at 65 in the NHL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And again, compare their earnings to the very best, the very top people in other professions and they don't earn nearly as much as they do over the course of their careers.

Let's just leave it to the entertainment industry and the one hit wonder types, they are probably the best comparison.

Here's my source

http://www.quora.com/How-lucrative-is-a-one-hit-wonder-in-the-music-business

In 1980 Gary Numan made 1.2 mil on that stupid song 'cars'?

What hockey player was making 1.2 mil in 1980?

Who has more talent and spent more time working on that talent? Gary Numan or John Wensink?  Who worked harder?  And I don't know, but what was Wensink's salary in 1980?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

And again, compare their earnings to the very best, the very top people in other professions and they don't earn nearly as much as they do over the course of their careers.

Let's just leave it to the entertainment industry and the one hit wonder types, they are probably the best comparison.

Here's my source

http://www.quora.com/How-lucrative-is-a-one-hit-wonder-in-the-music-business

In 1980 Gary Numan made 1.2 mil on that stupid song 'cars'?

What hockey player was making 1.2 mil in 1980?

Who has more talent and spent more time working on that talent? Gary Numan or John Wensink?  Who worked harder?  And I don't know, but what was Wensink's salary in 1980?

Maybe that's why he challenged the whole North Stars bench that year. He had a clause that if beat up a whole team on any given night Harry would've paid him $1.2 mil. lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

although he's right, Biznasty's a joke....  when the dust settles, he'll be playing in front of even less fans than before....

and some, if not most, of the owners are idiots....  at least where hockey is concerned....

time for those teams that are making a profit to go it alone....  i'd rather watch a league with a dozen or so teams than have to hear this bs everytime the cba expires....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

If I were in charge of the world, or at least the NHLPA, I would say to the owners if you're going to hold me accountable (ie dock my pay 24%) because of the way you are running your business, then let me have a say in how you run your business.

Issue #1, close down those franchises that aren't making you money because there are places you can move those franchises to that are certain to make you money.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I agree with his point. Hockey is a career for these guys and we, as fans, choose to watch it. They're still getting paid whether or not we watch games and have the right to do whatever they want regardless of what the fans think. I highly doubt many of them really care about the fans, even if they say they do. I don't like it, but can't be mad at them.

But Paul Bissonette... really? This goon plays like 10 games a year and isn't even that good a fighter. Didn't Boychuk pound him around a couple years ago?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

bump

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

bump

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And another bump from me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Bump right between null the rodent's eyes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Biz is a tool, but it's a great quote for people to read who are taking the labor dispute too personal. It is simply a struggle between millionares who are trying to get as much of our cash as they can. That is all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If I were in charge of the world, or at least the NHLPA, I would say to the owners if you're going to hold me accountable (ie dock my pay 24%) because of the way you are running your business, then let me have a say in how you run your business.

Issue #1, close down those franchises that aren't making you money because there are places you can move those franchises to that are certain to make you money.

And I reply: Assume some of the risk and you can have some of the say.  But as long as you can sign a 7 year deal based on your ability to perform like a first line player, then perform as a fourth line player, and I have no choice but to pay you, or better, I can pay you 2/3rds of your contract to go away, you are not a partner.  You aren't even an employee.  You're a contractor.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

And I reply: Assume some of the risk and you can have some of the say.  But as long as you can sign a 7 year deal based on your ability to perform like a first line player, then perform as a fourth line player, and I have no choice but to pay you, or better, I can pay you 2/3rds of your contract to go away, you are not a partner.  You aren't even an employee.  You're a contractor.

Book...the point is,...the owners are attempting to abolish themselves from any "risk".  that's what this whole fight is about.  first they wanted "cost certainty".  now they're insisting on "profit certainty".  what other industries would even entertain such a notion. 

you make a great point about paying first line money to a player who has regressed to a 4th liner...but oddly...the owners don't seem to care about that.  all they want is "profit certainty", and every few years, their game plan is to merely cut payroll to ensure it.       

Sections
Shortcuts