Blaming Ryan Miller

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Blaming Ryan Miller

When you blame Ryan Miller for the collision between him and Lucic you sound like the knucklehead Canuck fans who blamed Nathan Horton for the Rome hit last year.
    I understand you have blinders on, I also understand the lack of knowledge when it comes to goalies and contact. But the cat is out of the bag on that one now. Some of you disagree with the rule, thats fine, but it's a rule, and he got a two minute penalty.Ryan Miller did not come up with the rule.
    My point is you sound real stupid when you blame Miller.Even more as*anine when you question his intestinal fortitude.  Funny thing is, the majority of Buffalo fans don't blame Lucic. They are mad at their team for doing nothing.

I know, here come the he shouldnt have swung his stick or called Lucic a expletive.
    And here comes the your a goalie Kelvana you guys are soft and weird, when you come out of the crease you should be fair game. Hey, have i blamed lucic? I don't know whats going through his head.

Buffalo fans more mad at their team instead of Lucic.
    Boston fans blaming Miller.

Who sound like the more educated fans there?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mb30. Show mb30's posts

Re: Blaming Ryan Miller

In Response to Blaming Ryan Miller:
    When you blame Ryan Miller for the collision between him and Lucic you sound like the knucklehead Canuck fans who blamed Nathan Horton for the Rome hit last year. I understand you have blinders on, I also understand the lack of knowledge when it comes to goalies and contact. But the cat is out of the bag on that one now. Some of you disagree with the rule, thats fine, but it's a rule, and he got a two minute penalty.Ryan Miller did not come up with the rule. My point is you sound real stupid when you blame Miller.Even more as*anine when you question his intestinal fortitude.  Funny thing is, the majority of Buffalo fans don't blame Lucic. They are mad at their team for doing nothing. I know, here come the he shouldnt have swung his stick or called Lucic a expletive. And here comes the your a goalie Kelvana you guys are soft and weird, when you come out of the crease you should be fair game. Hey, have i blamed lucic? I don't know whats going through his head. Buffalo fans more mad at their team instead of Lucic. Boston fans blaming Miller. Who sound like the more educated fans there?
    Posted by kelvana33

Agree, and not just because I'm a goalie as well.  I think Lucic clearly could have made the effort to avoid Miller, and Miller made a great play in denying a scoring chance by making the decision to play the puck. 

Goalies are never "fair game" and only incidental contact is allowed outside of the crease.  It wasn't clear that Lucic had any intent to make contact with Miller, but he also didn't make any effort to avoid contact.  Was it worthy of a penalty?  Absolutely.  Was it a cheap shot?  IMO, yes.  Was it worthy of a suspension?  Absolutely not. Was it Miller's fault? Absolutely not.  I thought it was a stupid play by Lucic and he could have made an effort to play the puck instead of lowering the shoulder and continuing on his path. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I don't blame Miller at all. I just think he could've easily played the puck differently. I also don't blame Lucic, he did what everyone figured he'd do in that situation. It's a hockey play, he took his penalty, everyone needs to move on. Miller gave the B's some great board material though. Things like that make a team stronger. While some disagree with Lucic and his remarks after  the game I think (in the end) it will bring this team together in a Band of Brothers type of way. Not that they need it but it helps.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Two things Kel - none intended as shots at you.

1. People are ripping Miller because he's shooting his mouth off as though Lucic tried to kill him, like it was a deliberate check from behind head first into the boards.  You don't call a guy a piece of sh-- in the media, or a play "gutless" and then fall back on codes and rules of conduct.  I get that he's mad that he got blown up, but I can't respect his comments.  So - was it Miller's fault?  No, but I say that because I genuinely see the play as a collision where Lucic did not make a conscious decision to hit Miller.  Both guys were concentrating on making a play for their team.  It happens.

2.  A cheap shot is a suspendable play.  Period.  I don't think you can have it both ways.  If you think it was a cheap shot - which means a deliberate shot outside the rules of the game with malice intended - then you should expect Lucic to get suspended.  If you want to extend the logic about respect for your opponent and putting safety above winning, at least until March, fine.  I think a lot of people, me included, would ask how far a goalie can go to make a play and force others to play tentatively so as not to have this situation happen?  Can he skate with the puck?  What if he takes an angle that gives him a huge advantage if the opposition have to change their approach just so as not to cause a collision?  What if it's a race to the puck the skater would win if the goalie didn't put his body in the way?  Any of these situations could create a collision between players with competing goals - should the goalie be able to force skaters to change their behaviour?

I think a 2 minute penalty is fair in the same way inadvertantly throwing the puck over the glass is fair - it's a rule to protect the integrity of the game, but violating doesn't require "cheap shots". 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to Re: Blaming Ryan Miller:
    Two things Kel - none intended as shots at you. 1. People are ripping Miller because he's shooting his mouth off as though Lucic tried to kill him, like it was a deliberate check from behind head first into the boards.  You don't call a guy a piece of sh-- in the media, or a play "gutless" and then fall back on codes and rules of conduct.  I get that he's mad that he got blown up, but I can't respect his comments.  So - was it Miller's fault?  No, but I say that because I genuinely see the play as a collision where Lucic did not make a conscious decision to hit Miller.  Both guys were concentrating on making a play for their team.  It happens. 2.  A cheap shot is a suspendable play.  Period.  I don't think you can have it both ways.  If you think it was a cheap shot - which means a deliberate shot outside the rules of the game with malice intended - then you should expect Lucic to get suspended.  If you want to extend the logic about respect for your opponent and putting safety above winning, at least until March, fine.  I think a lot of people, me included, would ask how far a goalie can go to make a play and force others to play tentatively so as not to have this situation happen?  Can he skate with the puck?  What if he takes an angle that gives him a huge advantage if the opposition have to change their approach just so as not to cause a collision?  What if it's a race to the puck the skater would win if the goalie didn't put his body in the way?  Any of these situations could create a collision between players with competing goals - should the goalie be able to force skaters to change their behaviour? I think a 2 minute penalty is fair in the same way inadvertantly throwing the puck over the glass is fair - it's a rule to protect the integrity of the game, but violating doesn't require "cheap shots". 
    Posted by Bookboy007

Well said, as usual. 

Right now the rules are the rules, but I think when it comes to a play like this were the goalie is clearly outside of his 'normal' area, and he is trying to play the puck like a skater, then there must be some leeway given. They showed the Cary Price collision, and made it look like it was the forwards fault. Heck, Price was at the boards when he made the play, and they both got there at the same time. How can that be the forwards' fault?

If the goalie wants to play the puck away from the crease, he's fair game. But if you touch him at or near the crease, you're f****d. We could get rid of that stupid trapezoid thingy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Goalies cannot come past the blue line with the puck, in fact if they come past the blue line for any other reason than heading to their bench it's a leaving the crease violation.

Goalie or no goalie, i tend not to put much stock in what a player says immediatley following a game. Just  like I wont hold it against Lucic for laughing while he was heading to the penalty box.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

As the goalie he has to be watching the incoming player so he can position himself. No one's putting 100% of the blame on him, but when you see someone skating towards you who you've played about 25 times and isn't a good skater and you stand their looking stupid when they don't look up and don't slow down..it's like playing in traffic at midnight on a dark road.

When you blame Ryan Miller for the collision between him and Lucic you sound like the knucklehead Canuck fans who blamed Nathan Horton for the Rome hit last year. I understand you have blinders on, I also understand the lack of knowledge when it comes to goalies and contact. But the cat is out of the bag on that one now. Some of you disagree with the rule, thats fine, but it's a rule, and he got a two minute penalty.Ryan Miller did not come up with the rule. My point is you sound real stupid when you blame Miller.Even more as*anine when you question his intestinal fortitude.  Funny thing is, the majority of Buffalo fans don't blame Lucic. They are mad at their team for doing nothing. I know, here come the he shouldnt have swung his stick or called Lucic a expletive. And here comes the your a goalie Kelvana you guys are soft and weird, when you come out of the crease you should be fair game. Hey, have i blamed lucic? I don't know whats going through his head. Buffalo fans more mad at their team instead of Lucic. Boston fans blaming Miller. Who sound like the more educated fans there?
    Posted by kelvana33

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I agree with BB. Thats a good assessment. I thought that Miller could have approached the situation differently and Lucic could have also. Their actions and decisions both contributed to what I deem to be a collision. It's easier said than done to quickly change directions at full speed regardless of how many strides you stopped taking.

Lets look at it this way. If he glided (for the sake of argument) for 2 seconds. Perhaps he was gliding so that he could slow down slightly swoop up the puck and carve to the front of the net? I've done that many times without being challenged by a goalie so it has never been a problem.

Lucic, if we go by what he said, did not realize Miller had left his crease to chase the puck until he looked up at the blueline then I can see how difficult it would be to drastically change positions and avoid contact. Some contact seemed inevitable regardless of what Lucic did. Miller on the otherhand is moving MUCH slower and would be more able to change his direction and move. I think he should have just slid headfirst and poked it like a normal goalie but for some reason he thought it better to play it as if he were going to send the puck back up to catch the Bruins in a non-existent line change.

I agree Lucic broke the rule and made contact with Miller. I do not for a second believe that he had any kind of ill will towards Miller. I honestly don't think that Miller sustained any type of head injury on that play. If anything it was when his own teammate sent Seguin into his goal and knocked him on his back.

But hey thats just my .02

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't think that Ryan Miller should take blame for the play, but I think he needs to look at himself a bit for why he go hurt, if he did. Lucic probably could have put in some serious effort to avoid him, but it's unreasonable to expect him to do so.  You shouldn't go out to play a puck with a huge guy coming toward you at top speed and expect that he will dance around you like you're royalty. He should expect that a player will not try to hit him, but not that he will avoid him. Collisions happen like that happen every now and then, they just don't usually involve a monster of a man. If that was Krejci racing for the puck, they would have bounced off each other and it probably wouldn't have even been a penalty. It would have been called incidental contact. Miller raced toward Lucic just as Lucic raced toward Miller.  They both wanted the puck. I would have been disappointed if Lucic didn't try till the end to win the race. I'm 100% behind goalie protection but you shouldn't put yourself in the line of fire, either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Could Lucic move out of the way?? Maybe. Just like Miller could have stayed in his grease. Right?? Hits like these will happen. Miller got the worst of it. I dont blame either one of them. Miller wanted to play defenseman he got nailed. Sorry. This happens when both are trying to make a play. Should we penalize a player for skating hard on an icing if the defender gets hurt??? Arent the Sabres winning without Miller?? Maybe Buffalo should thanks us. JK 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

What I find incredulous is that Shanny bought Looch's alibi hook, line and sinker.  "I  put my head down and skated, and when I looked up, he was right there, and I didn't have time to avoid him".

Yah, right. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

When I watched it in real-time, I thought it looked bad.  I think the collision was Lucic's fault, and I agree with Kel that people blaming Miller for the hit are way off base.

That said, I don't think you can ignore Miller's comments if you are making judgments about the whole thing.  I actually had sympathy for the guy up until the press conference.  I've never seen a player who is alledgedly suffering from a concussion wait for the media like that and then pop off in a wildly inappropriate way.  Calling Lucic a piece of **** twice made me lose any sympathy for Miller.  Failing to veer off course in a chase for the puck because a goalie cuts in front of you, 25 feet outside the crease, does not make Lucic some kind of cheap shot artist.  It was a penalty and was called as such.  It was also disrespectful to the Sabres, which is something they should have dealt with themselves.

But waiting for the media to publicly curse out a fellow player over a shoulder to shoulder check is bad form.  I think that is why people are upset with Miller.  No free pass from me when he had plenty of time to think about what he wanted to say.

I don't blame Miller for the collision.  I do blame Miller for his ugly choice of words and for acting like such a wimp afterwards.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

He bought it because he's played hockey.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Posted by kelvana33

All I know Shupe Jr. is that you're starting to lose it. What is it you expect from a fan base that you like to refer to as "morons" and "idiots"? It seems like you're expecting bright ideas from "morons".........this moron thinks that's silly. Do you think Miller and Lucic would've still collided if Miller stayed in his net instead of racing for a loose puck? It may not be Miller's "fault"  but he's at least half responsible for the collision. As far as the post-game tears........he's totally responsible for that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

What I find incredulous is that Shanny bought Looch's alibi hook, line and sinker.  "I  put my head down and skated, and when I looked up, he was right there, and I didn't have time to avoid him". Yah, right. 
    Posted by 49-North

What I find incredulous is how you applaud Shanny on Sunday and complain about him on Monday. I also find it incredulous that you come here and state your opinion as if some of us care about it. You're the Alex Burrows of this forum. Did it also shock you when the league bought Alex's story of not meaning to bite Bergeron? Like the team you cheer for, your wishy-washy stance on the issues is laughable. Pick a side and stick with it(or stick it somewhere).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Blaming Ryan Miller : All I know Shupe Jr. is that you're starting to make me think all goalies are babies. What is it you expect from a fan base that you like to refer to as "morons" and "idiots". It seems like you're expecting bright ideas from "morons".........this moron thinks that's silly. Do you think Miller and Lucic would've still collided if Miller stayed in his net instead of racing for a loose puck? It may not be Miller's "fault"  but he's at least half responsible for the collision. As far as the post-game tears........he's totally responsible for that.
    Posted by dezaruchi

NAS Sr., thats exactly my point. I've said all along it was a collision. Two players heading in the same direction for the same thing. I don't think it was Lucic fault or Millers. i just think it's idiotic to blame Miller, and it's obvious they do it because he's not a Bruin.

post game tears, i can see why people hold it against him, but if his comments are viewed as immature, i can say Lucic comments after the game were pretty stupid. he was 100% right, but I bet CJ wasnt too happy he said it.  Lindy ruff's comments were just predictable.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I don't blame Miller at all. I just think he could've easily played the puck differently. I also don't blame Lucic, he did what everyone figured he'd do in that situation. It's a hockey play, he took his penalty, everyone needs to move on. Miller gave the B's some great board material though. Things like that make a team stronger. While some disagree with Lucic and his remarks after  the game I think (in the end) it will bring this team together in a Band of Brothers type of way. Not that they need it but it helps.
    Posted by callodthedom19

Callo, I agree 100%. To take it a step further, I think Miller was going out attempting to initiate contact and draw a penalty. When the contact was much harder than he anticipated, it's immediately time to scream foul. I don't feel bad that he received more than he bargained for.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Blaming Ryan Miller : What I find incredulous is how you applaud Shanny on Sunday and complain about him on Monday. I also find it incredulous that you come here and state your opinion as if some of us care about it. You're the Alex Burrows of this forum. Did it also shock you when the league bought Alex's story of not meaning to bite Bergeron? Like the team you cheer for, your wishy-washy stance on the issues is laughable. Pick a side and stick with it(or stick it somewhere).
    Posted by dezaruchi

I'm the voice of objective reason.  You guys all pump your own tires and get into a total groupthink environment.  "Yeah, if we all agree, then we must be right!"  Sorry, guys;  it doesn't work that way. 

A lot of people believed that there were WMDs in Iraq, but that didn't make it so.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Blaming Ryan Miller : I'm the voice of objective reason.  You guys all pump your own tires and get into a total groupthink environment.  "Yeah, if we all agree, then we must be right!"  Sorry, guys;  it doesn't work that way.  A lot of people believed that there were WMDs in Iraq, but that didn't make it so.
    Posted by 49-North

you guys should worry about how to raise a Cup and stop worrying so much about tires being pumped. The last guy from Vancouver who talked about pumping tires let the whole hockey world watch as his game deflated.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Blaming Ryan Miller : NAS Sr., thats exactly my point. I've said all along it was a collision. Two players heading in the same direction for the same thing. I don't think it was Lucic fault or Millers. i just think it's idiotic to blame Miller, and it's obvious they do it because he's not a Bruin. post game tears, i can see why people hold it against him, but if his comments are viewed as immature, i can say Lucic comments after the game were pretty stupid. he was 100% right, but I bet CJ wasnt too happy he said it.  Lindy ruff's comments were just predictable.
    Posted by kelvana33

Kel, I think it's safe to say this incident has you more upset than a typical collision. I get that you guys are part of the goaltending brethren and I applaud you for supporting your guy. That said, I sincerely feel bad to see how angry this has made you. Agree or not but you've been uncharacteristically angrier lately. Call me a moron for sure, I deserve it. But I'm not sure the same is true of all of the other posters you've been attacking lately. This moron thinks you're better (and a bigger man) than that. Cheers! Go Bruins!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Blaming Ryan Miller : I'm the voice of objective reason.  You guys all pump your own tires and get into a total groupthink environment.  "Yeah, if we all agree, then we must be right!"  Sorry, guys;  it doesn't work that way.  A lot of people believed that there were WMDs in Iraq, but that didn't make it so.
    Posted by 49-North

Go look up the definition of objectivity. I'll wait.........good, now that you've found out what it actually means perhaps you can go act smug and sanctimonious somewhere else. I'll save you the trouble of looking those words up. It means you're a dick!

objectivity

Definitions (2)

1. General: Striving (as far as possible or practicable) to reduce or eliminate biases, prejudices, or subjective evaluations by relying on verifiable data.

Lots of people confuse playing Devil's advocate with objectivity......you just seem like more of a jerk when you do it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Blaming Ryan Miller : Kel, I think it's safe to say this incident has you more upset than a typical collision. I get that you guys are part of the goaltending brethren and I applaud you for supporting your guy. That said, I sincerely feel bad to see how angry this has made you. Agree or not but you've been uncharacteristically angrier lately. Call me a moron for sure, I deserve it. But I'm not sure the same is true of all of the other posters you've been attacking lately. This moron thinks you're better (and a bigger man) than that. Cheers! Go Bruins!
    Posted by dezaruchi

Dez, you are 100% correct my friend. I'm calling people morons and idiots for being biased about the Bruins when i'm doing the same regarding my goaltending brothers. I still feel awful about my argument with Shupe the other night. I even attacked NAS. I apologize sincerely to the three of you respected board members, to any other passionate bruins fans, pretty much everyone except 49-North, who i may have offended. Bruinsfaninpensterritory, you deserve an apology as well. ..And i mean it. goaltending is in my blood and my blood was boiling. ..notice how i defended Miller without blaming Lucic..my feet hurt from stradling that fence...Like my wife says, i'm loyal to a fault....I will settle down on the issue. GO BRUINS!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

What I find incredulous is that Shanny bought Looch's alibi hook, line and sinker.  "I  put my head down and skated, and when I looked up, he was right there, and I didn't have time to avoid him". Yah, right. 
    Posted by 49-North

Still bitter about losing in the finals eh? I understand.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Blaming Ryan Miller : Dez, you are 100% correct my friend. I'm calling people morons and idiots for being biased about the Bruins when i'm doing the same regarding my goaltending brothers. I still feel awful about my argument with Shupe the other night. I even attacked NAS. I apologize sincerely to the three of you respected board members, to any other passionate bruins fans, pretty much everyone except 49-North, who i may have offended. Bruinsfaninpensterritory, you deserve an apology as well. ..And i mean it. goaltending is in my blood and my blood was boiling. ..notice how i defended Miller without blaming Lucic..my feet hurt from stradling that fence...Like my wife says, i'm loyal to a fault....I will settle down on the issue. GO BRUINS!!!
    Posted by kelvana33

Kel, my aim wasn't to make you feel bad. If anything, I was trying to pump your tires. Don't ever worry about my feelings though. I know I'm a dick. Cheers Buddy!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In Response to Re: Blaming Ryan Miller : Dez, you are 100% correct my friend. I'm calling people morons and idiots for being biased about the Bruins when i'm doing the same regarding my goaltending brothers. I still feel awful about my argument with Shupe the other night. I even attacked NAS. I apologize sincerely to the three of you respected board members, to any other passionate bruins fans, pretty much everyone except 49-North, who i may have offended. Bruinsfaninpensterritory, you deserve an apology as well. ..And i mean it. goaltending is in my blood and my blood was boiling. ..notice how i defended Miller without blaming Lucic..my feet hurt from stradling that fence...Like my wife says, i'm loyal to a fault....I will settle down on the issue. GO BRUINS!!!
    Posted by kelvana33

Everyone else got an apology... does that mean I'm still a moron?

Sections
Shortcuts