Board of Governors Approve Radical Re-alignment

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Board of Governors Approve Radical Re-alignment

Sorry I overlooked this thread.

Does this open the east to expansion by two?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Looks like it Red...But I agree 

Rangers
    Islanders
    Bruins 
    Montreal
    Detroit
    Pitt
    Flyers
    Capitals 

In one Conference would have been awesome...You could interchange Toronto if you want but they are a throw away for me let them and Ottawa go play somewhere else

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from djstrome. Show djstrome's posts

In Response to Re: Board of Governors Approve Radical Re-alignment:
    That's what I was thinking too DrCC. Some conferences have 7 instead of 8 teams. Seems like a bit of an unfair advantage if 4  teams from each conference makes the playoffs. Not sure I like this.
    Posted by jaywall

Obviously, this sets the stage for a two team expansion. That's the first thing that came to my mind when I read of the unbalanced divisions. Looks like Quebec will get their team after all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from djstrome. Show djstrome's posts

In Response to Re: Board of Governors Approve Radical Re-alignment : I agree, not looking forward to playing the same teams all the time in the playoffs. Reminds me of the old Adams Division days. Do we really need more Boston- Montreal first round matchups ?
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

Yes.

I think a lot of folks would say, "Yes.... we do!"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]Thought at least one of the two Columbus or Detroit would come East... PS. If you are ever on the peninsula in No Cal the Inn at Spanish Bay is a great place to stay. Pebble Beach, Olympic and Spy Glass right near by...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE
    ]

Hey Dog, you can say that again...I was there a couple of weeks ago celebrating a couple of buddies 50th's.. and we had planned this golf trip a year ago.. Pebble =$575.. SpyGlass =$400  Spanish Bay $300  :)  also played Poppy Hills ....Well worth it.. Dream come true and a few notches off the bucket list.. Nice piece of property over there..  Can't wait to go back in a few years..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Board of Governors Approve Radical Re-alignment : Obviously, this sets the stage for a two team expansion. That's the first thing that came to my mind when I read of the unbalanced divisions. Looks like Quebec will get their team after all.
    Posted by djstrome

Well here's the idea - No Phoenix, or Columbus, or Florida. Phoenix becomes Seattle, Jackets become KC, Flroida becomes Quebec - No change in divisions. Add A Southern Onatrio team, and one other Western team - LV or Milwaukee,and Detroit moves East. 4 8 team divisions, with no team playing conference games in more than two time zones.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You can't do a realignment based on strength of teams.  The burden is on bad teams to become better, not on the league to make sure there are four quality teams and three or four tomato cans in each conference.  Even if they fail, the overall ebb and flow of talent means you'll never have an alignment that avoids situations where good teams miss the playoffs and bad teams in other conferences get in.  Happens everywhere and you just ... live with it.

I don't mind the Bruins being where they are.  I'm glad they didn't get shifted south as one proposal called for, so that they'd play the Rangers and Flyers more often and the Shabs and Laffs less.  My old school rivalry bone likes that the Bruins are up right now and beating tar out of those old rivals.  Rangers never really stuck with me as rivals, except briefly after the Esposito trade.  It always felt a little forced, like an import of the Boston-NY thing from baseball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

My concern is the balance of power in these 4 conferences.   They should then go to the 1 - 16 format for the playoffs.  ALL teams vie for the same top 16 spots with the the 4 conference winners getting 1-4 seedings.   
    Posted by ipot

While that would be the "fair" way of seeding the 16 playoff teams, I think it's better to have the 1-4 seeds in each conference make the playoffs, as this makes conference games during the regular season that much more meaningful.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

In Response to Re: Board of Governors Approve Radical Re-alignment : I agree, not looking forward to playing the same teams all the time in the playoffs. Reminds me of the old Adams Division days. Do we really need more Boston- Montreal first round matchups ?
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

YES! I loved those Adam's division rivalries. Bring it on.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: Board of Governors Approve Radical Re-alignment : Expansion probably won't be too far off to even things up.
    Posted by hangnail

Sadly, that was my first thought too.  So ... Atlanta? Innocent (note to BDC - you guys need a vomiting emoticon)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

You can't do a realignment based on strength of teams.  The burden is on bad teams to become better, not on the league to make sure there are four quality teams and three or four tomato cans in each conference.  Even if they fail, the overall ebb and flow of talent means you'll never have an alignment that avoids situations where good teams miss the playoffs and bad teams in other conferences get in.  Happens everywhere and you just ... live with it. I don't mind the Bruins being where they are.  I'm glad they didn't get shifted south as one proposal called for, so that they'd play the Rangers and Flyers more often and the Shabs and Laffs less.  My old school rivalry bone likes that the Bruins are up right now and beating tar out of those old rivals.  Rangers never really stuck with me as rivals, except briefly after the Esposito trade.  It always felt a little forced, like an import of the Boston-NY thing from baseball.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Smartest and most obvious thought of the thread . The thought is to try and re-align geographically not by strength of teams . Posting that Boston has an easy conference now is a ridiculous comment. Good teams can go for a zhit and vice versa in a heart beat. Look at this year's standings for an example.    

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

It seems like the two Florida teams got hosed as far as travel goes, unless they plan on flying commercial just to cut costs.
    Posted by BSXIII

Tallon had a comment on this - apparently Having Boston, Montreal, and Toronto coming to town is a boon to revenues, so the travel doesn't seem so bad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I would have preferred NYR and NYI to be in Boston's Conference, while the two Florida teams join Pitt/Wsh/Phi....but that's ok.

I don't agree this is a chance to add 2 teams, although a 32-team league would be seemingly balanced. Instead, the more likely scenarios include Phoenix, Columbus or Florida moving to Quebec, KC or Seattle.

My bet is Phoenix to Quebec in 2013.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

My concern is the balance of power in these 4 conferences.   They should then go to the 1 - 16 format for the playoffs.  ALL teams vie for the same top 16 spots with the the 4 conference winners getting 1-4 seedings.   
    Posted by ipot

Supposedly the playoffs will be discussed in the next GM meeting.
    As said on my previous post there could be divisions that are weaker and the stronger ones get the short end of the stick by not making the top4 even though they have more points than the top 4 seeds of the weaker division.

Seems like 4 teams opposed the re-alignment Although it was a secret vote some think the Habs was one of the teams that opposed, a team from Florida and my own speculation would be the Bruins. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Expansion is coming eventually and that will balance out the conferences making them all equal in number. Until they expand again someday adding the Mexico City Mayans and the Havana Cigars then we will be out of whack again.

Sorry to disagree red but I think it's more likely that everyone stays put and Quebec gets a new franchise along with one in Ottawa somewhere. There are fan bases there that the league thinks can suppport a team. I'm speculating that they will opt for expansion before moving weak teams with weak fan bases to places where the population will support them consistently. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, just that it's what Bettman et al will do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

You can't do a realignment based on strength of teams.  The burden is on bad teams to become better, not on the league to make sure there are four quality teams and three or four tomato cans in each conference.  Even if they fail, the overall ebb and flow of talent means you'll never have an alignment that avoids situations where good teams miss the playoffs and bad teams in other conferences get in.  Happens everywhere and you just ... live with it. I don't mind the Bruins being where they are.  I'm glad they didn't get shifted south as one proposal called for, so that they'd play the Rangers and Flyers more often and the Shabs and Laffs less.  My old school rivalry bone likes that the Bruins are up right now and beating tar out of those old rivals.  Rangers never really stuck with me as rivals, except briefly after the Esposito trade.  It always felt a little forced, like an import of the Boston-NY thing from baseball.
    Posted by Bookboy007

good points.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I looked it over and will go on record as saying I really like it. I think they got the conferences right. the central teams had been getting hosed for a long time. Putting Fla teams in the east is great for them.
    With 4 conferences you'll have 2 7-team divisions anyways, so whats the big deal? It also covers expansion and minimizes the impact of a Phoenix move.

Adams/Patrick/Norris/Smythe. Bring it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Sorry for all the posts, but I'm still processing....

One more: I'm not sure if the playoff situation is best for the league, and I hope they take a long look at it. Going down the stretch as Bruins fans, it doesn't really matter anymore what happens to any teams outside the Conference. The 1-8 format made things interesting in terms of seeding and matchups, while now only MTL/TOR/BUF games matter. Kinda a bummer.

I like the schedule and 4-Conference idea, but I'd love to see a 1-8 seeding still take place before playoffs start. It would also cut down on issues with the 8-team conferences and a smaller % chance of getting in.

Keep these new Conferences for the season, but seed 1-8 based on overall points for playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Sorry for all the posts, but I'm still processing.... One more: I'm not sure if the playoff situation is best for the league, and I hope they take a long look at it. Going down the stretch as Bruins fans, it doesn't really matter anymore what happens to any teams outside the Conference. The 1-8 format made things interesting in terms of seeding and matchups, while now only MTL/TOR/BUF games matter. Kinda a bummer. I like the schedule and 4-Conference idea, but I'd love to see a 1-8 seeding still take place before playoffs start. It would also cut down on issues with the 8-team conferences and a smaller % chance of getting in. Keep these new Conferences for the season, but seed 1-8 based on overall points for playoffs.
    Posted by asmaha

My exact sentiments.
    Sure it seems nice facing the Habs almost every playoff but it'll get boring.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just thought I'd add a couple visual aids
    This is the ucrrent set-up, with time zones and divisions

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

This is the new setup

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

This is the new setup
    Posted by red75

Nice job red! The visual really illustrates things. I'm sure the geographically challenged members of the board will appreciate this. ;)

Even though they took 6 divisions and reduced it to 4 conferences the travel isn't markedly worse, which to me is an accomplishment. The obvious one that sticks out as not so great is the Florida teams but I'm sure that was due to keeping them in the eastern time zone and flight logistics.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Asama said,

"Oh well...guess we could still get BOS-PIT or BOS-NYR or BOS-PHI in the Finals and that would be fantastic as well."

On the other hand, it could be a Minnesota-Phoenix Final too...yuck.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukin. Show lukin's posts

I am mostly in favor of this realignment.  I was hoping that they'd split the florida teams into the Atlantic and Northeast divisions, so that the Whale would be in the Northeast.  Oh well.  

I do not like that two teams from the east can play in the finals.  I think on a finals level that there should be an east and a west representative.  part of the attraction between east v west is a difference in playing style (real or perceived), which would be lost under the current proposal.  

We will see.  But I like the direction. 

Sections
Shortcuts