1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Re: Board of Governors Approve Radical Re-alignment

Well Done, Red

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Board of Governors Approve Radical Re-alignment:
    Well Done, Red
    Posted by seobrien

I love Photoshop. Anyone else pretty certain that this map will change by the end of the season (Phoenix)? If they go east (Ontario, Quebec) they come into our division making it 8 and the West 7, if they go to Seattle, the divisions stay the same. If they go to the Midwest (KC, Milwaukee) then either Detroit or Columbus moves East - if it's Detroit, to our Division, if it's the Jackets, they go in with the New York and Penn. teams.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Generally speaking, I like the plan.  We'll have to see how the playoffs work out, because while some are complaining about seeing the same teams in the early rounds each year, I remember some of those old Smythe Division matchups being absolute wars.

I think the reason why the FLA teams are where they are, is because of the large numbers of Quebec snowbirds.  They can see their beloved Habs more often, as they do the "Florida double-dip" road trip.

One thing that Red's map clearly shows, is the point I was trying to make on the "Rest?" thread, that travel is a huge factor for teams in the west.

Also, Red's point about a team in Seattle:  not till they replace Key Arena.  Portland (venue-wise) is better poised for an NHL team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Generally speaking, I like the plan.  We'll have to see how the playoffs work out, because while some are complaining about seeing the same teams in the early rounds each year, I remember some of those old Smythe Division matchups being absolute wars. I think the reason why the FLA teams are where they are, is because of the large numbers of Quebec snowbirds.  They can see their beloved Habs more often, as they do the "Florida double-dip" road trip. One thing that Red's map clearly shows, is the point I was trying to make on the "Rest?" thread, that travel is a huge factor for teams in the west. Also, Red's point about a team in Seattle:  not till they replace Key Arena.  Portland (venue-wise) is better poised for an NHL team.
    Posted by 49-North

Yeah, and it's not just Seattle - the places I mentioned are all the rumoured tire-kickers right now, and only KC currently has a venure. There are only 25 days left before the NHL has the right again to sell the Yotes to someone who will move them. After the chaos and stress the late announcement of a move put on the Jets (they barely were able to get everything done in time) I can't see them waiting that long again. The NHL has said they will not own the team next year, so I think the smart bet would be that they'll be in KC next year, and that map will change to put either Columbus or Detroit in the east.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just had a thought about Conference names - what about not going back to the old school names, or doing it by geography. What about naming them after legendary players associated closely with those conferences? Gretzky for the West (where both Edm and LA are) maybe Howe, Hull or Makita for the Central, something like Lemieux, Bathgate or Bossy for the Penn/NY conf., and either Orr, Richard or Sawchuk for ours?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Just had a thought about Conference names - what about not going back to the old school names, or doing it by geography. What about naming them after legendary players associated closely with those conferences? Gretzky for the West (where both Edm and LA are) maybe Howe, Hull or Makita for the Central, something like Lemieux, Bathgate or Bossy for the Penn/NY conf., and either Orr, Richard or Sawchuk for ours?
    Posted by red75

Not a bad idea but I don't see that happening. The NHL has worked hard to have broader appeal and naming conferences after people that some of the soon-to-be fans have never heard of just makes it that much harder for them to buy in. Then again, let me do my imitation of an Eggo and waffle on this. maybe using some legendary players names would be a way to get newer fans acquainted with some NHL history? I can imagine the meeting where the northeast conf. is heading towards Orr for a name and not some Canadien. Could get ugly!

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2011/12/5/2614473/bruins-nhl-realignment-2011

Philly has a huge advantage over teams like Edmonton who's average travel distance is 6 times that of Philly's..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Board of Governors Approve Radical Re-alignment : Not a bad idea but I don't see that happening. The NHL has worked hard to have broader appeal and naming conferences after people that some of the soon-to-be fans have never heard of just makes it that much harder for them to buy in. Then again, let me do my imitation of an Eggo and waffle on this. maybe using some legendary players names would be a way to get newer fans acquainted with some NHL history? I can imagine the meeting where the northeast conf. is heading towards Orr for a name and not some Canadien. Could get ugly!
    Posted by WalkTheLine

Yeah, I was thinking the Orr vs. Richard/Beliveau meeting would be a fun one to be a fly on the wall for ;) (though Richard's already got a trophy named for him - as an interesting aside, Toronto, Ottawa, NYR, Washington, Buffalo, Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal, Detroit, and Dallas all have former players who have NHL trophies named after them already).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

Olsonic wrote, "we'll see, kinda cool to have three original 6 teams in our division."

The Northeast has three original 6 teams in the division right now.  The only change in the division is the addition of FLA and TB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ah the reason for the Florida connection to the whatever conference that includes the Bs is that includes three original six teams.  Money to help the Florida teams! The old thought Florida retirees will support Florida teams is a failure in thought. Now if you look at the potential moves, Florida to Quebec or Hamilton, it is not a stretch.  Tampa then could fit with the Pittsburgh conference then.  The odd ball aspect to the realignment remains the Carolina/Nashville conference set ups.  Pittsburgh should be with the Detriot confernce without much change in travel.  Expansion is a real thought the more I think on the new alignment.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

I think you may be right Islamorada. The conferences do appear to be configured to help prop up some of the failing franchises. This is probably one of the reasons why the Board appears to have approved it so quickly.

Sections
Shortcuts