Bob Essensa

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Bob Essensa

How much credit should Bob Essensa receive?   There has been a lot of talk and movement this off-season regarding goalie coaches.  Bob has been with the B's since 2003 (Raycroft, Potvin, Thomas, Toivonen, Auld, Fernandez, Rask, Khudobin,...) and has seen his goalies succeed, not only at the NHL level, but in Providence as well.  Tuukka developed down in Providence, Khudobin played well down there, Svedberg lead the league this year.  I know that Claude and Peter have received accolades recently regarding their system and their ability to stockpile goaltenders.  Is it time to look at what Bob is doing as well?  Or is the goaltending coach not as important as the talent and the system?  Just curious, because the postition seems to be getting more attention, rightfully so?, or just excuses for bad goaltending?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: Bob Essensa

there actually rarely mentioned but of great importance, they do have a way to make a goalie better, its not easy coaching a goalie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Great point, Meane.  I think a lot of credit is due for Essensa.  While it's possible that many of these B's goalies are just natural talents that are awesome, it's more likely that they are talented, and coaching has made them awesome.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I would assume part of his job is making sure the goaltender is in sync with the defense; that is to ensure Rask knows how the skaters will play and can "cheat" accordingly.  If so, that's been a great boost for this team.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Is it also part of the goaltender coaches' duties to help the starting goaltender review the opposition and their tendencies, reviewing video, etc?

Essensa has done a great job with all goalies under him and deserves his share of accolades...

Great thread.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Does anyone know if he is with the club right now?  I wonder what his schedule looks like?  How much time does he spend in Providence, Boston, and does he even make stops to South Carolina, North Dakota and Belleville?

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

I would assume part of his job is making sure the goaltender is in sync with the defense; that is to ensure Rask knows how the skaters will play and can "cheat" accordingly.  If so, that's been a great boost for this team.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

I was thinking about this while watching Cherry on Coach's Corner (Game 3 or 4).  He pointed that Tuukka intentionally does big kick saves in the direction of the wingers when they are open on one side for a quick breakout (showed one to Marchand).  It amazes me that they can focus on anything other than just stopping the puck, but I suppose he's right. It must take incredible focus to make the saves and think another move ahead on where to direct the puck.

Plenty of naturally talented goalies are failing in the playoffs, so I endorse the credit to Essensa for combining the natural talent of our goalies with mental sharpness, confidence, and playing within the system.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Another one bites the dust!  Gilles Meloche fired in Pitt.

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

Sections
Shortcuts