Bobby Orr...2 min for diving?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bobby Orr...2 min for diving?

Sometimes when I'm bored, I dig through youtube for old B's videos.  Usually I just end up watching Bobby Orr highlights and wishing I'd been old enough to remember it live.

I came across this one today.  The title, "Bobby Orr Ejected, Fans GO Crazy" was unlike most any other Bobby Orr stuff.  Now, he gets ejected for giving it to the ref after they failed to make a tripping call.  (Sinden earns a bench minor for ripping the ref from the stands LOL). 

After watching it a couple of times, I've concluded that the ref was 100% correct in not calling this, but more importantly, it's a dive.  Don't look at the play like it's Bobby Orr.  Look at it like it's Max Lapierre, Marchand, Subban or another gold medalist. 

You tell me:  Did Orr dive?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: Bobby Orr...2 min for diving?

It looks very much like he tried to jump over the arm and clipped it on the way over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lostinbaltimore. Show lostinbaltimore's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Sometimes when I'm bored, I dig through youtube for old B's videos.  Usually I just end up watching Bobby Orr highlights and wishing I'd been old enough to remember it live.

I came across this one today.  The title, "Bobby Orr Ejected, Fans GO Crazy" was unlike most any other Bobby Orr stuff.  Now, he gets ejected for giving it to the ref after they failed to make a tripping call.  (Sinden earns a bench minor for ripping the ref from the stands LOL). 

After watching it a couple of times, I've concluded that the ref was 100% correct in not calling this, but more importantly, it's a dive.  Don't look at the play like it's Bobby Orr.  Look at it like it's Max Lapierre, Marchand, Subban or another gold medalist. 

I knew it was the White trip, stakes over White's glove, losing his balance. Not a dive but tough non-call on the trip as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I don't know - it's tough to see from that angle. If he lifted his right foot before he hits White's right glove, then it's a dive. If he hits White's glove with his toe before he's upended, then I'd say it's a trip that caught him well off balance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't think it is diving.  I don't think it is tripping either.  

I think Orr fakes the guy out badly, causing the defender to fall froward towards Orr while missing the puck.  In an effort not to put a skate in the guy's head, Orr kind of flops over him.

So I think the ref probably got it right.  But I don't see Orr doing anything to embellish the call or fake something (like the scoundrels mentioned above).  I think he had to fall, or plow into the guy's head.  I can see why Orr was frustrated, to some extent.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, I see it very much like Fletch.  Defender dives at his feet and he tries to go over the top to avoid a worse fall than he takes.  I don't think he could have kept skating to continue the play, and hey, we're talking Orr here - I'd have been furious too if I was already dealing with knee issues and some idiot basically dove at me below the knee.

Not a dive, not a trip, but I don't like the manoeuver by the defender either.

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

He's human after all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think you have some bizarre vendetta against Orr and want to throw a little mud at him here and there.  Not a lot of mud,  just little marble sized gold balls when you get a chance.  Or you just want to be contrary and stir up some shiites.

See if you can catch some entire games rather than just the highlights, Orr did a ton of little things that mattered.  And remain jealous of us that got to watch him at the time, somehow that makes me feel good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

NAS, unlike you I'm old enough to remember this incident very clearly.

The Coach at the bench was Bep Guidolin. This team went to the Cup Final where Orr was mugged multiple times per game by Bobby Clarke, mostly, and the rest of the Flyer Bullies.

Anyway. Orr was not tripped. He admitted to it on the old Don Cherry's Grapevine TV Show years later.

He felt White's hand on his left skate and stiffened his leg and dived, just like most soccer forwards do many times per game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Not a dive! 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I'd have been furious too if I was already dealing with knee issues and some idiot basically dove at me below the knee.

The guy got faked out of his jock and tried to make a play.  I'm going to say he didn't dive at Orr below the knee.  That's a legendary interpretation!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Tried to make a play by taking the body.  Yeah, deked out of his jock, so his attempt to take the body combines with a blowout and he ends up moving forward and low at Orr's shins.  Not an attempt to injure, but a pretty awkward play that could have been bad for either guy.

Are you not entertained?!?!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I couldn't watch the video because I was at work, now that I've watched it I can say I remembered that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Ey5pOQb7A

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

The old TV 38 logo is boss!

And if you want to see the old Garden clock it's hanging in the food court at the Arsenal Mall in Watertown.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

That's the Nut Rocker - didn't WSBK use Nutty? (A more guitar based version of Nut Rocker)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwaLYx2GWlI

Did they use the Nut Rocker before going to Nutty?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I think you have some bizarre vendetta against Orr and want to throw a little mud at him here and there.  Not a lot of mud,  just little marble sized gold balls when you get a chance.  Or you just want to be contrary and stir up some shiites.

See if you can catch some entire games rather than just the highlights, Orr did a ton of little things that mattered.  And remain jealous of us that got to watch him at the time, somehow that makes me feel good.

i'm with you and thank the good Lord everyday for having given me the opportunity to watch play the greatest hockey player ever bar none....

can't wait for his bio to come out within the next few weeks.... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:

That's the Nut Rocker - didn't WSBK use Nutty? (A more guitar based version of Nut Rocker)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwaLYx2GWlI

Did they use the Nut Rocker before going to Nutty?

Or maybe the other way around, I recall the latter one of them sounding more "modern" at the time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

If it is tripping then it is diving.  I half think a lot depends on what the refs were calling that game.  Poor officiating does lead to embellishment. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

If it is tripping then it is diving.  I half think a lot depends on what the refs were calling that game.  Poor officiating does lead to embellishment. 

How do I explain this
    I mean how do I put it into words
    It's one thing or another
    But it's neither this nor that
    Actually it's a collection of things
    She said, "That's it, that's it, get out"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

How do I explain this
    I mean how do I put it into words
    It's one thing or another
    But it's neither this nor that
    Actually it's a collection of things
    She said, "That's it, that's it, get out"

shut up and watch the game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

shut up and watch the game.

I'm in Florida.  I can't even get Florida games on TV here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Nut Rocker dates back to 1962. Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_Rocker

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah, but that doesn't mention if it was ever used for the Bruins - in fact it references Nutty for that. Anyone old enough to recall if they used both?

(And this is a Bruins nerd squared kind of conversation)

Sections
Shortcuts