Bobby Orrs Landmark Season and Hockey book reviews.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bobby Orrs Landmark Season and Hockey book reviews.

http://thehockeywriters.com/bobby-orrs-landmark-season/

Since we have till Saturday...I highly recommend this great account...

"Around the beginning of this century, Bobby Orr’s 1969-70 season was voted the most important and significant full-season contribution to NHL history by a panel of highly respected experts and hockey historians. Orr –’69-70 was ranked number 1, ahead of any of Gretzky’s magnificent seasons, ahead of everybody else. The primary reason: Orr singlehandedly changed the way the game was played. He already owned the record for most points in a season by a defenseman of 64 set in 1968-69. With 120 points in 1969-70, he became the first ever defenseman to win an NHL scoring title and bested his own record by a whopping 88%. It was a super-human feat of single-season athleticism, never witnessed before in the professional sporting world. These things were unheard of. It was ridiculous.

The following is a detailed account of how Bobby Orr’s incredible 1969-70 season unfolded."

PS. http://thehockeywriters.com/book-reviews/

I am most definitely purchasing "Firewagon Hockey: The Game in the Eighties".

Any other hockey books out there you would recommend ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Bobby Orrs Landmark Season and Hockey book reviews.

"Eddie Shore and That Old Time Hockey", written by C. Michael Hiam a Boston born writer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

One of the most mind boggling was the fact he led the league in points & also had far & away the most pim's of any of the scoring leaders. I wonder what he would've done if he had reduced these in half? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I havent had time to read the new Orr book yet, mostly becuase if I know I pick it up, I wont put it down. Brodeur was a fantastic read and so was Jonsey (Keith Jones).I'm going to get the new Nilan book also. ..Please give some recommendations for some good books guys.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

http://thehockeywriters.com/bobby-orrs-landmark-season/

Since we have till Saturday...I highly recommend this great account...

"Around the beginning of this century, Bobby Orr’s 1969-70 season was voted the most important and significant full-season contribution to NHL history by a panel of highly respected experts and hockey historians. Orr –’69-70 was ranked number 1, ahead of any of Gretzky’s magnificent seasons, ahead of everybody else. The primary reason: Orr singlehandedly changed the way the game was played. He already owned the record for most points in a season by a defenseman of 64 set in 1968-69. With 120 points in 1969-70, he became the first ever defenseman to win an NHL scoring title and bested his own record by a whopping 88%. It was a super-human feat of single-season athleticism, never witnessed before in the professional sporting world. These things were unheard of. It was ridiculous.

The following is a detailed account of how Bobby Orr’s incredible 1969-70 season unfolded."

PS. http://thehockeywriters.com/book-reviews/

I am most definitely purchasing "Firewagon Hockey: The Game in the Eighties".

Any other hockey books out there you would recommend ?

Wow this picture brings back good memories.....was 27 then and was there at the parade.....drove down from Montreal with my late young wife & uncle.....there both gone now but the memories ....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Also haven't picked up Orr's new book yet but I will.  Until then my definitive book on this amazing hockey player is "Searching For Bobby Orr" by Stephen Brunt. Considering Orr didn't participate in this book in any way it's still a pretty in-depth look into Orr who seems to be a very private person.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I havent had time to read the new Orr book yet, mostly becuase if I know I pick it up, I wont put it down. Brodeur was a fantastic read and so was Jonsey (Keith Jones).I'm going to get the new Nilan book also. ..Please give some recommendations for some good books guys.

kel, you might like "Net Worth: Exploding The Myths of Pro Hockey" by David Cruis and Alison Griffiths. It's about how the NHL screwed over players for most of the 20th century.

Also "Black Ice: The Lost History of the Coloured Hockey League of the Maritimes" by George and Darril Fosty.  It's about Canadian blacks of African descent who put together hockey teams, organized their own league and played for white audiences in Halifax in the 1800s.  Researching the book also discovered those players using slappers and goalies showing butterfly styles and freezing the puck years before both were in the NHL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Also haven't picked up Orr's new book yet but I will.  Until then my definitive book on this amazing hockey player is "Searching For Bobby Orr" by Stephen Brunt. Considering Orr didn't participate in this book in any way it's still a pretty in-depth look into Orr who seems to be a very private person.  

RHO, I received the book as a Christmas gift. The book is OK, but nothing special really. I would recommend you read it.

Interesting fact, is that Bobby hitchhiked during his junior career often. He'd start on the 401 in Oshawa to get to the 400 in Toronto, from there he'd hitch to Parry Sound.

The little runt was thumbing it, practically under my nose. Who knew?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Finished it up a few weeks ago Kel. Fun read but typical Orr -- just can't throw anyone under the bus. Was also hoping for more fun stories with the guys. Chapter about Eagleson was intriguing and literally made me sick to my stomach. Orr is just too nice a guy all around. Even Michael Kay on his New York show back on Nov 11th couldn't pull any hate out of him. The stuff Eagleson did after gaining trust was unconscionable. Still worth picking up. 

Another decent pickup is Espo's "Thunder and Lightning". A little bias on this one since my daughter bought me the book 10 years for my 52nd birthday and it included a signing at Bookends. He talked for a while and entertained everones questions prior to the signing. He didn't even mind that most of my questions had to do with what it was like to play with Terry O'Reilly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Great book by Brunt. I went to a reading by him at our local Town Hall, and had him sign it after (and all my other Brunt books). A few of us in line (mostly women) talked about the influence of Eagleson on Orr, vs Don King on Ali. As you know Brunt also did a great book on Ali. Stephen didn't think there was a parallel between the 2. 

As for Orr's book, I wouldn't waste the time or money honestly. I can't say that I really found out anything that hasnt been pretty much told already. His positioning on most things was very political, and seemed to stop (opposite of tall) of giving the inside story most of us would have liked. It's clear what he thinks of Al, but even that is tempered. 

He did a signing at the local Costco, and the line up was out the door. Since I had my kids with me, I couldn't stay in line for 2+ hours to get it signed. The man still has it, almost 40 years later. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

"Eddie Shore and That Old Time Hockey", written by C. Michael Hiam a Boston born writer.

My Pops has that book and I keep forgetting to grab it when I go back for a visit.

PS. The new Bobby Orr book is great!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

Great book by Brunt. I went to a reading by him at our local Town Hall, and had him sign it after (and all my other Brunt books). A few of us in line (mostly women) talked about the influence of Eagleson on Orr, vs Don King on Ali. As you know Brunt also did a great book on Ali. Stephen didn't think there was a parallel between the 2. 

As for Orr's book, I wouldn't waste the time or money honestly. I can't say that I really found out anything that hasnt been pretty much told already. His positioning on most things was very political, and seemed to stop (opposite of tall) of giving the inside story most of us would have liked. It's clear what he thinks of Al, but even that is tempered. 

He did a signing at the local Costco, and the line up was out the door. Since I had my kids with me, I couldn't stay in line for 2+ hours to get it signed. The man still has it, almost 40 years later. 

If this is what you were expecting perry than it's no wonder you were disappointed. This is Orr we're talking about here. The man doesn't like to talk about himself.....EVER! The only reason there's a chapter dedicated to Eagleson at all is because his publisher basically said he needs to do this. The reason I loved the book is because it's words that came directly from him. It's not 3rd hand information, which pretty much is everything we hear, or heard until now. He's always been a very private person & I think it took a lot for him to change that & let us fans in a little bit. Steven Brunt's book is great too, but I don't put them in the same category.

Those who want a great read, about a colorful & someone who should be dead, but has nine lives is Derek Sanderson's book- "Crossing the Line" This is a book you should read if you want someone who loves to talk about himself. The book actually is a great read & really shows that you actually get more than  just 2 chances to change your life sometimes. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Also -- an interesting read was Manasso's bio on the Heatley incident.

A Season of Loss, A Lifetime of Forgiveness: The Dan Snyder and Danny Heatley Story

Reading about how the Snyder family dealt with the loss and let Heatley off the hook was gut wrenching. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

If this is what you were expecting perry than it's no wonder you were disappointed. This is Orr we're talking about here. The man doesn't like to talk about himself.....EVER! The only reason there's a chapter dedicated to Eagleson at all is because his publisher basically said he needs to do this. The reason I loved the book is because it's words that came directly from him. It's not 3rd hand information, which pretty much is everything we hear, or heard until now. He's always been a very private person & I think it took a lot for him to change that & let us fans in a little bit. Steven Brunt's book is great too, but I don't put them in the same category.

Those who want a great read, about a colorful & someone who should be dead, but has nine lives is Derek Sanderson's book- "Crossing the Line" This is a book you should read if you want someone who loves to talk about himself. The book actually is a great read & really shows that you actually get more than  just 2 chances to change your life sometimes. 

[/QUOTE]

I will check out that book. Sanderson was a "colorful guy". Bet the parties were a lot of fun. 

So, if Orr doesn't want to talk about himself EVER, then why write the book? Oh well...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to zamboni24's comment:

A Season of Loss, A Lifetime of Forgiveness: The Dan Snyder and Danny Heatley Story

Reading about how the Snyder family dealt with the loss and let Heatley off the hook was gut wrenching. 

Just bought this brand new on Ebay for 2.95 plus 3.99 shipping. I didnt know this book existed, thanks Zam.

Does anyone know of a book or books written by any former general managers? Something that woul dbe about trades, trades that fell through and that sort of stuff?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Just bought this brand new on Ebay for 2.95 plus 3.99 shipping. I didnt know this book existed, thanks Zam.

Does anyone know of a book or books written by any former general managers? Something that woul dbe about trades, trades that fell through and that sort of stuff?

I've never heard of any kel, but that would be interesting stuff.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

I will check out that book. Sanderson was a "colorful guy". Bet the parties were a lot of fun. 

So, if Orr doesn't want to talk about himself EVER, then why write the book? Oh well...

Insane woould be more like it.

This is why Orr wrote the book.

It took me a long time to decide I wanted to do a book. I finally got it through my thick skull that maybe I can put some things on paper that people will benefit from. Whether you’re a young hockey player up and coming, or whether you’re a pro today or a parent with a hot kid, I’m hoping whoever reads it takes something from it. I tell a little bit about my story, the sacrifices my family made, my brothers and sisters, and the homesickness. I don’t think we realize the number of people that helped you along the way.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Just started this book a couple of days ago.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I was talking to an old guy, a friend of a friend, a couple of weeks ago.  He is friends with some former players, also old guys.

"You know, Bobby Orr lives up in Jupiter.  He doesn't come and hang out ever.  That guy won't leave his front porch for less than $50K.  You wouldn't believe some of the stories I've heard from them about him."

More on this when I hear some of the stories.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I was talking to an old guy, a friend of a friend, a couple of weeks ago.  He is friends with some former players, also old guys.

"You know, Bobby Orr lives up in Jupiter.  He doesn't come and hang out ever.  That guy won't leave his front porch for less than $50K.  You wouldn't believe some of the stories I've heard from them about him."

More on this when I hear some of the stories.

Oh i forgot, the Bobby Orr voice of reason is back, he isn't a saint, i know that already Nas.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

You still upset with Welker over that hit on Talb?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Or that "friend of friend" is a total F$@&#* tool and that's why Bobby doesn't hang out.

Most athletes that played in the 50s, 60s and 70s didn't make jack from greedy owners n agents. So they ask for and get appearance money. This is obviously well known to most.

Apparently Florida jack wagon has his head up his...  

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Or that "friend of friend" is a total F$@&#* tool and that's why Bobby doesn't hang out.

Most athletes that played in the 50s, 60s and 70s didn't make jack from greedy owners n agents. So they ask for and get appearance money. This is obviously well known to most.

Apparently Florida jack wagon has his head up his...  

There's very few former players that make apperances for free! Really don't know what the big deal is. Even players that retired as few as 5 yrs ago are charging for appearances & these guys are probably set for life.

• Sections
    Shortcuts