Bobby Orrs Landmark Season and Hockey book reviews.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Bobby Orrs Landmark Season and Hockey book reviews.

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or that "friend of friend" is a total F$@&#* tool and that's why Bobby doesn't hang out.

Most athletes that played in the 50s, 60s and 70s didn't make jack from greedy owners n agents. So they ask for and get appearance money. This is obviously well known to most.

Apparently Florida jack wagon has his head up his...  

[/QUOTE]

There's very few former players that make apperances for free! Really don't know what the big deal is. Even players that retired as few as 5 yrs ago are charging for appearances & these guys are probably set for life.

[/QUOTE]

The reason those ex players are complaining is they don't even get offered dung beetles to leave their front porch, smells of jealousy to me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or that "friend of friend" is a total F$@&#* tool and that's why Bobby doesn't hang out.

Most athletes that played in the 50s, 60s and 70s didn't make jack from greedy owners n agents. So they ask for and get appearance money. This is obviously well known to most.

Apparently Florida jack wagon has his head up his...  

[/QUOTE]

There's very few former players that make apperances for free! Really don't know what the big deal is. Even players that retired as few as 5 yrs ago are charging for appearances & these guys are probably set for life.

[/QUOTE]

The reason those ex players are complaining is they don't even get offered dung beetles to leave their front porch, smells of jealousy to me.

[/QUOTE]

LOL! Or just a contankious old man!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was talking to an old guy, a friend of a friend, a couple of weeks ago.  He is friends with some former players, also old guys.

"You know, Bobby Orr lives up in Jupiter.  He doesn't come and hang out ever.  That guy won't leave his front porch for less than $50K.  You wouldn't believe some of the stories I've heard from them about him."

More on this when I hear some of the stories.

[/QUOTE]

Don't bother. There's only so much negativity these boards can handle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Thanks for the great article link sandog.

I thought Orrs latest book to be a bitvanilla but for me of course was still a must read. Too bad he didn't give up some more significant inside info.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zamboni24's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also -- an interesting read was Manasso's bio on the Heatley incident.

A Season of Loss, A Lifetime of Forgiveness: The Dan Snyder and Danny Heatley Story

Reading about how the Snyder family dealt with the loss and let Heatley off the hook was gut wrenching. 

[/QUOTE]

Just bought this brand new on Ebay for 2.95 plus 3.99 shipping. I didnt know this book existed, thanks Zam.

Does anyone know of a book or books written by any former general managers? Something that woul dbe about trades, trades that fell through and that sort of stuff?

[/QUOTE]

Now you got me going Kel -- revisiting my rather robust home collection from the last 50 years -- a few more of interest:

Phil Esposito by Stan Fischler -- Has some of the stories off the ice I was hoping to read          in the Orr book. May be a hard find -- pulled this off the rack back in '74 with a $0.95        face price on it.

Don Cherry's Hockey Stories and Stuff -- Just the cover with the plaid jacket -- thumbs up        -- standing next to Blue is what drew me in.

Grapes -- A Vintage View of Hockey

Pal Hal -- A Biography of Harold Ballard (by Dick Beddoes)

One noteable highlight on Ballard that many may have heard. When the league mandated that the players names be placed on the back of the jerseys -- Ballard vehemently opposed the decision due to potential loss of program sales. The league threatened heavy fines. He finally agreed to comply. When the team came out on the ice -- the white jerseys had the names in white lettering and the blue with blue. Hence the clarifying addition to the rule book that the players names must be in the opposite color of the jersey.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to perrysound's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If this is what you were expecting perry than it's no wonder you were disappointed. This is Orr we're talking about here. The man doesn't like to talk about himself.....EVER! The only reason there's a chapter dedicated to Eagleson at all is because his publisher basically said he needs to do this. The reason I loved the book is because it's words that came directly from him. It's not 3rd hand information, which pretty much is everything we hear, or heard until now. He's always been a very private person & I think it took a lot for him to change that & let us fans in a little bit. Steven Brunt's book is great too, but I don't put them in the same category.

Those who want a great read, about a colorful & someone who should be dead, but has nine lives is Derek Sanderson's book- "Crossing the Line" This is a book you should read if you want someone who loves to talk about himself. The book actually is a great read & really shows that you actually get more than  just 2 chances to change your life sometimes. 

[/QUOTE]

I will check out that book. Sanderson was a "colorful guy". Bet the parties were a lot of fun. 

So, if Orr doesn't want to talk about himself EVER, then why write the book? Oh well...

[/QUOTE]

Insane woould be more like it.

This is why Orr wrote the book.

It took me a long time to decide I wanted to do a book. I finally got it through my thick skull that maybe I can put some things on paper that people will benefit from. Whether you’re a young hockey player up and coming, or whether you’re a pro today or a parent with a hot kid, I’m hoping whoever reads it takes something from it. I tell a little bit about my story, the sacrifices my family made, my brothers and sisters, and the homesickness. I don’t think we realize the number of people that helped you along the way.

[/QUOTE]

Love the guy and have the utmost respect but unfortunately what made the book a bit of a soft read is exactly what is quoted above. It seemed like almost every chapter had to mention thanking all the people around him and keeping it fun for the kids. We all know that team of the 70's raised a lot of hell -- some of the stories I've read in other books would have been nice to hear again. The guy is too classy to take even a small step out of his comfort zome. Not so good when authoring a book.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Love the guy and have the utmost respect but unfortunately what made the book a bit of a soft read is exactly what is quoted above. It seemed like almost every chapter had to mention thanking all the people around him and keeping it fun for the kids. We all know that team of the 70's raised a lot of hell -- some of the stories I've read in other books would have been nice to hear again. The guy is too classy to take even a small step out of his comfort zome. Not so good when authoring a book.

[/QUOTE]

I think he's just got the attitude. "What happened with the team outside of hockey, stays with the team!" If someone else wanted to break that rule that was their choice.