Booing Seguin Does Not Make Much Sense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Booing Seguin Does Not Make Much Sense

I am really tired in general of fans booing almost every athlete who leaves their city, when they return in another team's uniform.  There is the odd guy like a Bourque or someone like that who still received cheers but they are few and far between.  Yes you paid your money and you can do what you want but in a lot of cases it makes no sense.  Before I get to Seguin I will give my opinion on some others who have left organizations fairly recently.

Parise I would boo because he left New Jersey the first chance he got even after they made him the Captain and they went to the Stanley Cup Final.

Alfredsson should not be booed.  He did everything for that organization and if at this stage in his career he wants to go somewhere else nobody should take issue with that.

Nathan Horton you might want to boo him because he left Boston at the first chance he could but he was not a long time Bruin (not drafted by them so you wouldn't necessarily expect him to have a loyalty to the organization). I would prefer to cheer him for the contributions he made in the Stanley Cup run in 2011.

In regards to Tyler I guess you might boo him for not performing to expectations from a scoring point perspective during last year's Cup run.  A few more timely goals/points could have meant we were celebrating another Stanley Cup victory.  You could possibly boo him for partying too much.  In both of these cases I say he is a 21 year old kid and although you get guys who mature quicker - Toews, Crosby - you can't expect all young hockey players to mature at such a young age.  Most importantly I would not boo him because he did not ask to leave Boston and even though it was only 1 game I think there is a strong possibility that they don't win the Cup without his big performance in game 2 of the Eastern Conference Final in 2011.  He was often fun to watch when he was here.  I wish him all the best and I think as he has said as a Stanley Cup Champion with the Bruins he will always have a piece of Boston with him.

As far as whether the trade was a good one or not, that remains to be seen.  I think it was a good trade for both teams and Seguin probably did need a change of scenery to get him to realize he needed to change some things.  I do think that the player who has the most upside potential by far is Tyler so it could come back to haunt the Bruins but he may not have gotten there if he stayed in Boston.  If the Bruins win another Cup in the next few years it won't matter.

The only other thing to note is that so far both Marchand and Bergeron are struggling to put up points.  It is early but whether he was scoring a lot or not Seguin garnered a lot of attention from the other team's defense.  With his speed he opened up space for Patrice and Brad.  I am sure Louie and Bergeron will click once they have a chance to play together more but in the short term they are missing Tyler.

If I had been at the game last night I would have cheered Seguin before the game started.  After that I would be cheering for my Bruins and he is simply another opposition player they need to shut down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Booing Seguin Does Not Make Much Sense

If I were there, I would have booed him loudly for:

1.  Being the #2 overall pick that choked in the playoffs.

2.  Being the #2 pick that was traded because his partying was more important that his job.

3.  Caring more about booze and box than a Cup parade.

I have spent a lifetime watching this team, praying for a Cup.  We got to see one.  We could have seen two.  That immature snotrag could have been the swing vote.  Instead, he had to be guarded to prevent him from partying. 

F Tyler Seguin.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

First of all I appreciate that you always have a strong opinion.  I agree that it is hard to understand how someone could not have the sense to put the opportunity to win another Stanley Cup over booze and box at least for a few months (if you believe the stories are true). I am sure however that almost everyone at 21 made some mistakes on how they handled or approached some things. It is what you learn from your mistakes that is the important thing.  The tough thing is that you only get a few legitimate chances to win a Championship so learning experiences are tough because the team may not get another chance for awhile and the player may not get another chance at all.  I guess Dallas will find out whether Tyler learned anything and whether that translates to the team having a chance to win a Championship.

The other thing is that Seguin did have many shots and scoring chances but he wad unable to convert. Altough he could have been better I would argue that he played as good or better than Jagr in the play-offs. Of course we know where CJ's alliances lies when it comes to these types of decisions.  Seguin buys into Claude's defensive system and plays well defensively and Jagr floats and adds little or no more offence than Tyler and gets a promotion to the 2nd line and more ice.  That is called fair in Julien's eyes. 

The kid does need to mature but I still don't think he deserves the boos or to be the scapegoat for the Bruins not winning a 2nd Cup.  The Bruins have now traded away 3 very good players drafted in the top 5 over the last decade.  Maybe handling young potential superstar players is an area where the organization needs to improve.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Your post is obviously one of a faithful Tyler fan.  That's nice, but it's just not very accurate.

The Bruins traded 3 top picks and, 1. one was a soft disaster of a "leader" who disappeared at playoff time and whose money was converted into a Captain that led this team to a Stanley Cup win and another Final. 2. another was traded because he didnt want to play the system, and brought back in trade mutiple excellent picks, including 2 first rounders and a #2 overall. 3. the last got himself and his throttling contract shiipped out of town due to inept and listless play as well as the off ice behavior of a 7th grader.

"The organization" does not need to improve in handling these problems.

And, defending Seguin's horrific Invisible Man act in last year's playoffs by comparing him to a late season arrival 100 year old Jaromir Jagr is just laughable.  Uh, JJ wasn't all that productive. This has what to do with Seguin's collapse that got himself demoted?  Remember the beginning of the season when your boy Tyler was supposed to be one of the team's top scorers, to go along with his top contract?  His abysmal utter failure in the playoffs last year was very possibly the #1 reason (oh, there were more) the Bruins failed to seal the deal in the Finals.

I don't know how the trade will work out.  I'm not a great fan of it but the contracts and the failures of both players forced it. I blame Seguin for forcing the B's to make a risky deal I wish they didn't have to consider.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to huntbri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am really tired in general of fans booing almost every athlete who leaves their city, when they return in another team's uniform.  There is the odd guy like a Bourque or someone like that who still received cheers but they are few and far between.  Yes you paid your money and you can do what you want but in a lot of cases it makes no sense.  Before I get to Seguin I will give my opinion on some others who have left organizations fairly recently.

Parise I would boo because he left New Jersey the first chance he got even after they made him the Captain and they went to the Stanley Cup Final.

Alfredsson should not be booed.  He did everything for that organization and if at this stage in his career he wants to go somewhere else nobody should take issue with that.

Nathan Horton you might want to boo him because he left Boston at the first chance he could but he was not a long time Bruin (not drafted by them so you wouldn't necessarily expect him to have a loyalty to the organization). I would prefer to cheer him for the contributions he made in the Stanley Cup run in 2011.

In regards to Tyler I guess you might boo him for not performing to expectations from a scoring point perspective during last year's Cup run.  A few more timely goals/points could have meant we were celebrating another Stanley Cup victory.  You could possibly boo him for partying too much.  In both of these cases I say he is a 21 year old kid and although you get guys who mature quicker - Toews, Crosby - you can't expect all young hockey players to mature at such a young age.  Most importantly I would not boo him because he did not ask to leave Boston and even though it was only 1 game I think there is a strong possibility that they don't win the Cup without his big performance in game 2 of the Eastern Conference Final in 2011.  He was often fun to watch when he was here.  I wish him all the best and I think as he has said as a Stanley Cup Champion with the Bruins he will always have a piece of Boston with him.

As far as whether the trade was a good one or not, that remains to be seen.  I think it was a good trade for both teams and Seguin probably did need a change of scenery to get him to realize he needed to change some things.  I do think that the player who has the most upside potential by far is Tyler so it could come back to haunt the Bruins but he may not have gotten there if he stayed in Boston.  If the Bruins win another Cup in the next few years it won't matter.

The only other thing to note is that so far both Marchand and Bergeron are struggling to put up points.  It is early but whether he was scoring a lot or not Seguin garnered a lot of attention from the other team's defense.  With his speed he opened up space for Patrice and Brad.  I am sure Louie and Bergeron will click once they have a chance to play together more but in the short term they are missing Tyler.

If I had been at the game last night I would have cheered Seguin before the game started.  After that I would be cheering for my Bruins and he is simply another opposition player they need to shut down.

[/QUOTE]

Seems to be a common misconception.  Booing is rude, and no amount of money changes that.  Just because it won't land you in jail,... doesn't make it smart.  The Cliff Clavins of the world do all the booing.  Nothing any more annoying than paying good money to see a game, then having to sit next to some jerk who won't shut up.

Booing is whining.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If I were there, I would have booed him loudly for:

1.  Being the #2 overall pick that choked in the playoffs.

2.  Being the #2 pick that was traded because his partying was more important that his job.

3.  Caring more about booze and box than a Cup parade.

I have spent a lifetime watching this team, praying for a Cup.  We got to see one.  We could have seen two.  That immature snotrag could have been the swing vote.  Instead, he had to be guarded to prevent him from partying. 

F Tyler Seguin.

[/QUOTE]

See you're reading "long posts" now.  Congrats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

See you're reading "long posts" now.  Congrats.

[/QUOTE]

Incorrect.  I just happen to have the ability to get the gist of things. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In the words of William Munny: "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."  Booing doesn't have to make sense.  You know what doesn't make sense?  A big sign hanging over the ice that tells the fans to "make some noise!" because the game itself isn't spurring them to make noise. 

Too many Canadian rinks are turning into the Sydney Opera House.  If you were to yell "hey Seguin!  You s..k!" at a Senioritas game, he could turn, look directly at you, and yell back "can you give me specific reasons why you don't like me?"

The only reason I need to boo him is that he's the opposition's top offensive player.  Other than that, who cares?  Because, yes, there is no amount of booing that will get him to convert on some of those chances he had that could have won two more Finals games for the Bruins.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

huntbri -

you know what really doesn't make sense?  

A bunch of men and women the vast majority of which need a lot more exercise sitting around at home in in the gargen eating and drinking watching physically fit young men exercise.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

And think about all the good physically fit young people could be doing for society, like working in hospitals, but instead they get paid lots of money to play games.

If you really think about it, pro sports make no sense at all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In the words of William Munny: "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."  Booing doesn't have to make sense.  You know what doesn't make sense?  A big sign hanging over the ice that tells the fans to "make some noise!" because the game itself isn't spurring them to make noise. 

Too many Canadian rinks are turning into the Sydney Opera House.  If you were to yell "hey Seguin!  You s..k!" at a Senioritas game, he could turn, look directly at you, and yell back "can you give me specific reasons why you don't like me?"

The only reason I need to boo him is that he's the opposition's top offensive player.  Other than that, who cares?  Because, yes, there is no amount of booing that will get him to convert on some of those chances he had that could have won two more Finals games for the Bruins.

[/QUOTE]

Strawberry Alice: [screaming out the window] HE HAD IT COMING! THEY ALL HAVE IT COMING!

I think booing has a place.  Booing the home team for a poor performance is the most powerful.  It embarrasses them, causes true emotions.  In college, I was on a really bad team one year.  We got booed by our crowd a few times.  Man, it was awful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Very philosophical BH.

Being a guy I do however like the distractions that bring me some joy and an escape from the mundane - watching and playing sports, music, beer and babes.  Sh*t no wonder I like Tyler so much.  We have lots in common other than age, money, hockey talent and number of babes. lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Your post is obviously one of a faithful Tyler fan.  That's nice, but it's just not very accurate.

The Bruins traded 3 top picks and, 1. one was a soft disaster of a "leader" who disappeared at playoff time and whose money was converted into a Captain that led this team to a Stanley Cup win and another Final. 2. another was traded because he didnt want to play the system, and brought back in trade mutiple excellent picks, including 2 first rounders and a #2 overall. 3. the last got himself and his throttling contract shiipped out of town due to inept and listless play as well as the off ice behavior of a 7th grader.

"The organization" does not need to improve in handling these problems.

And, defending Seguin's horrific Invisible Man act in last year's playoffs by comparing him to a late season arrival 100 year old Jaromir Jagr is just laughable.  Uh, JJ wasn't all that productive. This has what to do with Seguin's collapse that got himself demoted?  Remember the beginning of the season when your boy Tyler was supposed to be one of the team's top scorers, to go along with his top contract?  His abysmal utter failure in the playoffs last year was very possibly the #1 reason (oh, there were more) the Bruins failed to seal the deal in the Finals.

I don't know how the trade will work out.  I'm not a great fan of it but the contracts and the failures of both players forced it. I blame Seguin for forcing the B's to make a risky deal I wish they didn't have to consider.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe comparing Jagr to Seguin doesn't make sense but I think they moved Jagr because he couldn't or wouldn't change his game to play with Kelly and Paille and then they made the kid the scapegoat.

Sections
Shortcuts