Bored?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Bored?

Is that what we're seeing?  A bored hockey club?  This is the second year in a row where the real urgency has been set aside well before the end of the year, and then the Bruins have had trouble finding the emotional switch to play meaningless regular season games.  Last year, the Caps just let 'em sleep and they never got out of that funk - like they were waiting for the run to get interesting.  The worst part is that they go from not finishing good chances - chances you know they have the skills to finish - to not getting those chances because they just start shooting from everywhere and you get 33-13 shot differentials when the Bruins lose.

Add that to the faint note of grousing over the line changes in practice - Bergeron saying "there's nothing you can do" about the coach's decision to move Marchand off his line (how about "It doesn't matter who I play with, the team needs a spark right now, so maybe moving things around will help"?), Krejci almost saying that he expects teh new combos to fail because "well, there's no chemistry, obviously", and Julien saying, almost in a Tortorella move, that he's doing it because he can, because he's the coach.  How about "In the past, when Lucic has hit a slump, we've moved him to the third line where he can simplify his game and remember what makes him such a force - take the body, control your wing, play with emotion."  How about the top line has lacked some quickness, and Marchand brings that or Paille has been one of team's hotter shooters over the last couple of weeks, and you want to reward a guy who has been getting results?

These two things can be the beginning of the end for a coach, especially if Chiarelli does pull the trigger on a big rental like Iginla.  If there's one thing that has defined this Bruin team under CJ, it has been the professionalism of  their approach to the system.  Boredom and grousing are cracks that bother me more than the current mediocrity and scoring woes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Bored?

Well the next 2 games I'm sure have their attention.  Leafs boasting last games win and Habs last time around frustrating the Bruins.  They have to get up for these games. 

As for the end of a coach I think we're jumping the gun here, are we going to start this talk again ? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

As for the end of a coach I think we're jumping the gun here, are we going to start this talk again ? 

If they lose the next 2 games, and that is a big if, then having this conversation will be valid. This is essentially the same core of players that won a cup 2 seasons ago. If they can't even wake up for the important games against rivals then something will have to give eventually because this team has been spinning its wheels for some time now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Is that what we're seeing?  A bored hockey club?  This is the second year in a row where the real urgency has been set aside well before the end of the year, and then the Bruins have had trouble finding the emotional switch to play meaningless regular season games.  Last year, the Caps just let 'em sleep and they never got out of that funk - like they were waiting for the run to get interesting.  The worst part is that they go from not finishing good chances - chances you know they have the skills to finish - to not getting those chances because they just start shooting from everywhere and you get 33-13 shot differentials when the Bruins lose.

Add that to the faint note of grousing over the line changes in practice - Bergeron saying "there's nothing you can do" about the coach's decision to move Marchand off his line (how about "It doesn't matter who I play with, the team needs a spark right now, so maybe moving things around will help"?), Krejci almost saying that he expects teh new combos to fail because "well, there's no chemistry, obviously", and Julien saying, almost in a Tortorella move, that he's doing it because he can, because he's the coach.  How about "In the past, when Lucic has hit a slump, we've moved him to the third line where he can simplify his game and remember what makes him such a force - take the body, control your wing, play with emotion."  How about the top line has lacked some quickness, and Marchand brings that or Paille has been one of team's hotter shooters over the last couple of weeks, and you want to reward a guy who has been getting results?

These two things can be the beginning of the end for a coach, especially if Chiarelli does pull the trigger on a big rental like Iginla.  If there's one thing that has defined this Bruin team under CJ, it has been the professionalism of  their approach to the system.  Boredom and grousing are cracks that bother me more than the current mediocrity and scoring woes.

Yeah Book, somthing just doesn't seem quite right.  Many more questionable comments in the media this year from both players and coach.  PC has been adamant about keeping this team together. They all talk about how much they enjoy their teammates.  Maybe they are all too comfortable?  The one person that I haven't heard much from is the captain.  Maybe it's time for him to call a closed door meeting, if they haven't already done so.  Maybe the fact that the Bruins had so many guys playing during the lock out, which was looked at as a positive, is actually becoming a negative during this hectic stretch of games? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

If they lose the next 2 games, and that is a big if, then having this conversation will be valid. This is essentially the same core of players that won a cup 2 seasons ago. If they can't even wake up for the important games against rivals then something will have to give eventually because this team has been spinning its wheels for some time now.

you're saying Bruins lose big (highly doubt it)  Julien getting fired should be the "topic du jour " ?

If Bruisn lose big we'll see it on the ice whom to blame.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

you're saying Bruins lose big (highly doubt it)  Julien getting fired should be the "topic du jour " ?

If Bruisn lose big we'll see it on the ice whom to blame.

No, I am saying that if the losing skid continues and the team can not even get up to play against rivals than questioning CJ's employment is a valid conversation to have. That's all. Remember, it is easier to fire a coach than a whole team......sad but true.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm not suggesting this is an immediate option.  I'm saying that if they go out in the first round against an inferior opponent again this year, and have the same kind of issues doing it, and Chiarelli makes a move, I would look back to this stretch and think that this is the point where I started to doubt whether CJ, for all that he's a good coach, could get them out of this cycle. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I agree. The wheels started coming off mid-season last year followed by an early playoff exit where it was obvious many players were underperforming. Now, mid-season, it appears to be happening again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The past two years when the top 2 lines didn't score the 3rd n 4th lines picked up the slack. Not happening at all this year as we've seen. Can't make a chicken sandwich out of a chickens...that is what Julien has on the 3rd line. April 2nd or 3rd just can't come fast enough "those darn pesky GMs not realizing they aren't going to make the playoffs".

I'm not goin to read between the lines on players comments about the line changes just yet. However if the Bruins go one or two n done in this years playoffs then I would say Julien is in trouble. I'm going to be patient though and then add comments after players have played together for a few weeks.

Bored ? Julien has no choice but to shuffle lines as he can't predict Kelly braking his leg and Peverley not performing up to his capabilities.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

You never striked me as an "if" person BookBoy. IF all you said happens and next season the Bruins might be at the bottom of the pack and maybe in trouble of not making the playoffs can we start discussing Julien's job on the line.
    Just that lately some fans are hinting about Julien's job and I find that far fetched and silly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm not really going down that IF path, Legion. Just saying that there are little things I don't think I've seen before in the Julien era, but that are familiar elements of the story of how coaches get fired.  I'll leave actually predicting what happens to others.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

I think many get overly frustrated because this team "did" win a cup in 11.  Like the Hurricanes, after their improbable championship, the B's overall have been quite ordinary.  For stretches of the 11 regular season, they were pretty tough to watch too.

The Cup run in 11, the exit in round 1 of last years playoffs, and a fairly good slump going on right now, is very confusing to many.  Fact is though, this up and down stuff happens every year, to every team, and in a full season comes along more than once.  If luck and the intangibles kick in at the right time...good things happen.  If not...look out.

I see a couple of things with this team.  The first is that I just haven't seen as much determination from this group since the Cup win, and I believe this group only becomes elite when they outwork everyone else.  Without the jam they're just another team.  A good team with some very good pieces, but a lineup that will always struggle to score, meaning anything less than defensive perfection(including goaltending)hampers the ability to win.  A group just can't turn it on when they feel like it, at least not at this level.  If that's true, there needs to be a jolt...a real big one somewhere, and the enthusiasm has to be built back.

The second is what I call, the Ryder factor.  Any kind of discussion that includes the word offense, coupled with the words Paille, Peverly, and Kelly, suggests some pretty glaring issues.  They're important pieces, but no hands whatsoever.   This group desperately misses another guy who can change the game with a timely goal.  Those mentioned above can never be counted on, to do that, but another Ryder type can.  Because of fiscal realities, that type of player will most likely end up being an underachieving, streaky type(unless it's a rental)  

Simply put, great teams are a perfect workhorse-racehorse balance.  You can turn a racehorse into somewhat of a plowhorse, but it just doesn't work the other way.  This team needs a bit more fire power.  I think a solid aquisition(no subtraction) will really put this team in a position to compete for a championship, providing injuries aren't a problem.  As is, I don't feel this team has the ponies.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Every coach has an expiration date.

There are only so many pregame speaches and between period pep talks you can give before you run out.

The only remedy is to find a new team.

I have no idea if CJ is at that point yet, or even if he's beginning to find that point yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

There are only so many pregame speaches and between period pep talks you can give before you run out.

I have no idea if CJ is at that point yet, or even if he's beginning to find that point yet.

Agreed . Julien's time will eventually come once the team spirals downward. 

Problem is, would the next coach of the Bruins get the team back to winning or more of the same ? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Rick Bowness ?

Sorry it was wide open...took a shot...kidding of course. Julien will be fine but the Bruins will need to win after players are brought in.

PS. Heh imagine Geoff Ward interim coach. Classic Asmaha "nothing inspires more than Ward with a dry eraser" LoL!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I wonder if Detroit is looking to get rid of Babcock, i mean he's only won a single Stanley Cup with them and heck they've been struggling to maintain a playoff position. Maybe Datsyuk & Zetterburg have tuned him out and the whole team is tired of his scowling approach, we'll see i guess. The B's need an acquisition to freshen up the salad, when it comes we'll see how they perform going forward and into the playoffs. If there is an early exit with Julien having a healthy squad with a little endive thrown in, maybe we'll have that conversation then.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I see where you're coming from, and I know most agree with you...but I don't see it that way.  I believe the coaching carousel is nothing deeper than the fact that they're the first level of management.  Firing the coach always delays the Managers head being handed to him.  Coaches don't have near the autonomy fans think they do, and the job is very much by committee these days.

I've watched an awful lot of coaching changes, and seems to me, about 2 in 10 show marked improvement.

You're certainly correct about speeches and pep talks, but those are also 50's and 60's management  techniques.  Most times, it seems the axe is more about managing up...than down  We have the Lewis examples, but many times the Coaches are equal parts overrated in victory, as well as defeat.  Coaches are stuck with the lineups Managers give em, most coach the way the Managers want them to, yet they're usually the first to get whacked.

If once in my life, I'd have witnessed a GM giving the coach his job back after a team got worse in the ensuing games, I'd probably look at it differently. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Paul Maurice

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Paul Maurice

Thought about that before I posted Book.  That's why I used "ensuing games", as opposed to "5 years later".  After that length of time, a GM has tons of wiggle room to promote his decision.  After a few months, the GM is basically admitting a mistake.  After several years that isn't an issue.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Get Ted Nolan on the phone!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I don't know if I'd call it "bored" or not, but some issues are rearing their ugly head.

When I saw this team waiting in the neutral zone down a goal with a minute to go, I almost threw the remote into my flat screen. If someone can figure that one out let me know. Pretty F'd up mindset this team has fallen into right now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Paul Maurice

He certainly knows how to out coach a "Julien type" team in the playoffs. If it got that point I would have no problem with Paul as a choice.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The Badhab perspective on CJ.  I'm not seeing any of the confusion and self doubt in CJ as I saw before the point at which I consider him turning the corner to 'elite' coach - back mid Stanley Cup season.  His post game interviews are direct, he has definite opinions, he seems confident and assured.  His explanations are what realistically happened in the game (as opposed to making me wonder what game he was watching).  I think he's exhibiting the confidence and leadership he needs to, but there are a lot of other questions obviously - is his leadership taking them on a path that leads to a cliff, are his players tuning in & etc.

The one thing that is worrying about him is the long series of below expectations games are being strung together as we saw pre-mid season 2011.  Benching Ryder turned that around.  I wonder if Lucic to the 3rd line will have the same effect?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

The past two years when the top 2 lines didn't score the 3rd n 4th lines picked up the slack. Not happening at all this year as we've seen. Can't make a chicken sandwich out of a chickens...that is what Julien has on the 3rd line. April 2nd or 3rd just can't come fast enough "those darn pesky GMs not realizing they aren't going to make the playoffs".

I'm not goin to read between the lines on players comments about the line changes just yet. However if the Bruins go one or two n done in this years playoffs then I would say Julien is in trouble. I'm going to be patient though and then add comments after players have played together for a few weeks.

Bored ? Julien has no choice but to shuffle lines as he can't predict Kelly braking his leg and Peverley not performing up to his capabilities.

Bingo, and perhaps moving Lucic to the 3rd line will help balance it out. Of course, him finding the back of the net would really help.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Nice write up book. The frustrating thing w/ this team is we know what they can do but it's not happening. I believe no matter what happens during the upcoming playoffs Julien is going nowhere.

Sections
Shortcuts