Boris Valabik

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from degolds. Show degolds's posts

Boris Valabik

This guy came to Boston along with Peverley he was a 10th over all pick, He is    6' 7" and 255LBs. Does anybody know any more about him ????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FinnsWake. Show FinnsWake's posts

Re: Boris Valabik

Looks like he's not quite ready for prime time yet.

I imagine he'll be "developing" in Providence for awhile still.

Would be scary to see him and Z on the blue line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He's awful.  He's slow as molasses and can barely play defense.  He can fight and if he catches someone (which is rare) he hits hard.  He is not an NHL player and probably will never be.  He takes careless, useless and lazy penalties.

BUT

Providence fans are going to love him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wqR17KrLKw

He and Crosby do not appear to get along. What a pansy Crosby is

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah I think he is a pretty lousy player, but it seems to be very common for 2 or even 3 defensmen to be battling injuries in the playoffs, so it's nice to have a 7th d-man in Boston (Boychuk) and then some viable depth in Providence too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Boris Valabik:
    He's awful.  He's slow as molasses and can barely play defense.  He can fight and if he catches someone (which is rare) he hits hard.  He is not an NHL player and probably will never be.  He takes careless, useless and lazy penalties. BUT Providence fans are going to love him.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I'm going to foster hope that some mentoring by Chara may turn him eventually into a 3rd pairing guy that learns to play to his strengths.Unlikely but possible that a guy could shock you with his progression(ala Marchand).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

He is clearly a project, working under the premise that defenseman take longer to develop and the bigger you are the longer it may take. I have low expectations for him, but I'm open to be proved wrong.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

NHL Speed Bag.
    Can't skate or turn= Not NHL player. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Isn't his contract is up at the end of the year, so essentially the Bs are merely paying his salary the rest of the season then....buh-bye? I could be wrong, though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He is clearly a project, working under the premise that defenseman take longer to develop and the bigger you are the longer it may take. I have low expectations for him, but I'm open to be proved wrong.
    Posted by captainbergeron

The bigger you are, the longer it may take?

You should have no expectations for him.  The guy is terrible.  I'm happy with Peverly, but Valabik is not an NHL player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from srider297. Show srider297's posts

Valabik's hometown isn't that far from Chara's. If you remember a few years ago Valabik was the Thrasher who pushed Kessel and Chara beat the snot out of him, Valabik was shocked, if not scared that Z grabbed him and began to introduce him to all 8 of his knuckles. Chara apparrently is this kids idol and hopefully he will be able to take guidance from Z, who should become a great mentor to the kid as well as some others. It'd be nice to see this kid turn his game around and make it to the roster eventually. This is proof that Atlanta isn't an organization that was built to develop a player like this kid, so it should be interesting to see what they do with Wheeler and Stuart. Valabik is an absolute monster and could become a solid D man if he works on his footwork and speed. He can fight but that doesn't help us much with a team full of players ready to throw down. Hopefully he can shape up and get it together.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

6'7" 255lb pylon , Dudley probably said to Chia " l'll give you Peverly for Wheeler and Stu...but you gotta take this Clydesdale off my hands, or no deal "

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Response to Re: Boris Valabik : I'm going to foster hope that some mentoring by Chara may turn him eventually into a 3rd pairing guy that learns to play to his strengths.Unlikely but possible that a guy could shock you with his progression(ala Marchand).
    Posted by dezaruchi

Are you saing Marchand's progression has shocked you? Where have you been?

He was a top rated player in the juniors and one of the best players in his last unior world tounament along with Lucic.  For someone who likes to sound like he's very knowledgeable about hockey, you sure get shocked easily !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Boris Valabik : Are you saing Marchand's progression has shocked you? Where have you been? He was a top rated player in the juniors and one of the best players in his last unior world tounament along with Lucic.  For someone who likes to sound like he's very knowledgeable about hockey, you sure get shocked easily !
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni

Yeah, he was so highly rated that he was taken 71st overall.

Anyone who says they expected this sort of production from him is lucky or a liar.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Hopefully sasquatch is only a good coaching (and set of workouts) away from contributing meaningful.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's difficult to coach when the best advice you can give someone is "don't be a lumbering oaf".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Valabik is just a throw-in....Obviously drafted for his size, likely with Chara in mind except, unlike Chara, he has absolutely no skill. It is very unlikely he ever makes it to the NHL as a regular...While the possibility of having two Chara's is interesting, and likely frighting to the B's opponents, it is very doubtful.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I like the acquisition of Valabik as a chuck-in, why not?  Peverley was the true target, so why not pick the big man up as well.  As others have mentioned, perhaps Chara can mentor the kid to get something out of him?  He also has 80 NHL games under his belt, more than Kampfer and McQuaid.

Speaking of McQuaid, he only found his game over the past year, and is now an important contributor who turned 24 in October.  Maybe Valabik is a late bloomer as well, and worth a shot IMO.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

You could be right Crowls, there are no absolutes in hockey so maybe something can be made of Valabik....he is a very low-risk prospect at this point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Boris Valabik : Yeah, he was so highly rated that he was taken 71st overall. Anyone who says they expected this sort of production from him is lucky or a liar.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Lucky? Maybe. However, a lot of people who watched him play in juniors kind of expected this. I know a few people who, when he was drafted, said he would be the steal of the draft -- knocked down due to his size, but a very smart and tenacious player. I always had hope for the kid because of these reports and now those people are looking pretty smart.

Just because you and several others on this board weren't impressed with him in limited minutes last year (Seguin, anyone?), doesn't mean this was a fluke. As mentioned earlier, he was selected to the Canadian junior team twice and played a significant role the second time he was there.

Obviously second round picks are risky, and a significant portion of the risk associated with Marchand was his size, but there were a lot of people who felt Marchand would be a good player at this level. There are many stories of players with a little bit of risk getting knocked into the second round and this turns out was probably one of them (Lucic, Krejci, Bergeron, Subban, Ryan O'Reiley in Colorado, who knows, maybe Jared Knight?).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Boris Valabik : Are you saing Marchand's progression has shocked you? Where have you been? He was a top rated player in the juniors and one of the best players in his last unior world tounament along with Lucic.  For someone who likes to sound like he's very knowledgeable about hockey, you sure get shocked easily !
    Posted by BobbyOrrAlumni

When did I say that I was shocked by Marchand?I was replying directly to Nas who was openly not a fan of Marchands' game in the past.Nas is right though.No one besides marchand himself,expected this of him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Boris Valabik : Lucky? Maybe. However, a lot of people who watched him play in juniors kind of expected this. I know a few people who, when he was drafted, said he would be the steal of the draft -- knocked down due to his size, but a very smart and tenacious player. I always had hope for the kid because of these reports and now those people are looking pretty smart. Just because you and several others on this board weren't impressed with him in limited minutes last year (Seguin, anyone?), doesn't mean this was a fluke. As mentioned earlier, he was selected to the Canadian junior team twice and played a significant role the second time he was there. Obviously second round picks are risky, and a significant portion of the risk associated with Marchand was his size, but there were a lot of people who felt Marchand would be a good player at this level. There are many stories of players with a little bit of risk getting knocked into the second round and this turns out was probably one of them (Lucic, Krejci, Bergeron, Subban, Ryan O'Reiley in Colorado, who knows, maybe Jared Knight?).
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan

All of that is very interesting.  He was a third round pick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Jeff Penner                  5' 10" 185
    Andrew Bodnarchuk       5' 10" 189
    Yuri Alexandrov            6' 0"  186
    Matt Bartkowski           6' 1"  203
    Colby Cohen                6' 2" 200
    Zimmerman and McIver 6'2"-6'3"/205-209

Valabik - 6'7" 245.  He has as many points as Bodnarchuck, more than Cohen, McIver and Zimmerman (for whatever that 9 assists is worth).  He's size and not a significant drop off in the bottom of the P-Bruin depth chart.  Right now, that's what he means to the organization.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm certain of one thing.
    This guy needs a nickname.

If Chara is big Z, maybe he can be big B?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts