Boston Goalies v. Opponent Playoff Goalies--One-Sided Affair

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Boston Goalies v. Opponent Playoff Goalies--One-Sided Affair

In the 39 years since the last Cup win, I'm hardpressed to find a time where the B's goalie dominates a series to the point of stealing a series. In other words, you can look over the 39 years of playoffs and see many, many, many memorable playoff runs by goalies, but never do you see a B's goalie in that group. The closest was Reggie Lemelin outplayed Roy for a few games v. the Habs in that series that ended a Montreal streak of series wins in a row v. B's (88? one of those years) ....Seriously, look back, Penney outplays Peeters. Esposito outplays Gilbert. Parent outplays Cheevers (although Cheevers was still brilliant in 74). Dryden outplays Cheevers. Billy Smith v. Cheevers. Raycroft outplayed. Moog outplayed by Ranford (former B). Dafoe outplayed by Hasek (actually i thought Dafoe outplayed Hasek but really when the turning points occur, it's the B goalie who can't hold on to a 0-0 game)...Price is already establishing this year's better than the B goalie.

It's not the B's goalies that bother me as much as the B's have a history of just not scoring in the playoffs except for late 70s teams, especially in that wild series over Buffalo...The B's just buckle, they blink, they are the ones who give up the bad goal, or the late goal, or the tie-breaking goal. The goalies don't stand on their heads....It's maddening. Just once I want a B's goalie to be the one who is totally dominating and taking control of a series even in a low scoring one. Nope. B's probably lead the NHL in its history in 1 or 2-0 playoff losses.

When the B's had Neely and Oates, they had virtually nothing else scoring wise and it killed those teams when it counted v. Edmonton/Pittsburgh, teams that had firepower and ok goaltending.

But because the B's are so deficient offensively, sometimes you just hope that it's their goalie who does what Thomas did frequently in the regular season--steal games. I'm still waiting for that to happen. . .When or if the B's ever win the Cup again, I guarantee you, it will be because the goalie will win the MVP of the playoffs that season...You'd think by just odds, the B's would have a team where the goalie takes over in a playoff series. I don't know how many series they've played since 71-72, but it's pretty sad to see so many opponent goalies be the story of those series losses. Not all, but many were decided because of the difference in who was guarding the goal.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: Boston Goalies v. Opponent Playoff Goalies--One-Sided Affair

In Response to Boston Goalies v. Opponent Playoff Goalies--One-Sided Affair:
    In the 39 years since the last Cup win, I'm hardpressed to find a time where the B's goalie dominates a series to the point of stealing a series. In other words, you can look over the 39 years of playoffs and see many, many, many memorable playoff runs by goalies, but never do you see a B's goalie in that group. The closest was Reggie Lemelin outplayed Roy for a few games v. the Habs in that series that ended a Montreal streak of series wins in a row v. B's (88? one of those years) ....Seriously, look back, Penney outplays Peeters. Esposito outplays Gilbert. Parent outplays Cheevers (although Cheevers was still brilliant in 74). Dryden outplays Cheevers. Billy Smith v. Cheevers. Raycroft outplayed. Moog outplayed by Ranford (former B). Dafoe outplayed by Hasek (actually i thought Dafoe outplayed Hasek but really when the turning points occur, it's the B goalie who can't hold on to a 0-0 game)...Price is already establishing this year's better than the B goalie. It's not the B's goalies that bother me as much as the B's have a history of just not scoring in the playoffs except for late 70s teams, especially in that wild series over Buffalo...The B's just buckle, they blink, they are the ones who give up the bad goal, or the late goal, or the tie-breaking goal. The goalies don't stand on their heads....It's maddening. Just once I want a B's goalie to be the one who is totally dominating and taking control of a series even in a low scoring one. Nope. B's probably lead the NHL in its history in 1 or 2-0 playoff losses. When the B's had Neely and Oates, they had virtually nothing else scoring wise and it killed those teams when it counted v. Edmonton/Pittsburgh, teams that had firepower and ok goaltending. But because the B's are so deficient offensively, sometimes you just hope that it's their goalie who does what Thomas did frequently in the regular season--steal games. I'm still waiting for that to happen. . .When or if the B's ever win the Cup again, I guarantee you, it will be because the goalie will win the MVP of the playoffs that season...You'd think by just odds, the B's would have a team where the goalie takes over in a playoff series. I don't know how many series they've played since 71-72, but it's pretty sad to see so many opponent goalies be the story of those series losses. Not all, but many were decided because of the difference in who was guarding the goal.
    Posted by dannycater

You forgot about Olaf Kolzig outplaying Dafoe in the first round in 1998. LOL. Honestly though, I loved Dafoe & Moog.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Boston Goalies v. Opponent Playoff Goalies--One-Sided Affair:
    In the 39 years since the last Cup win, I'm hardpressed to find a time where the B's goalie dominates a series to the point of stealing a series. In other words, you can look over the 39 years of playoffs and see many, many, many memorable playoff runs by goalies, but never do you see a B's goalie in that group. The closest was Reggie Lemelin outplayed Roy for a few games v. the Habs in that series that ended a Montreal streak of series wins in a row v. B's (88? one of those years) ....Seriously, look back, Penney outplays Peeters. Esposito outplays Gilbert. Parent outplays Cheevers (although Cheevers was still brilliant in 74). Dryden outplays Cheevers. Billy Smith v. Cheevers. Raycroft outplayed. Moog outplayed by Ranford (former B). Dafoe outplayed by Hasek (actually i thought Dafoe outplayed Hasek but really when the turning points occur, it's the B goalie who can't hold on to a 0-0 game)...Price is already establishing this year's better than the B goalie. It's not the B's goalies that bother me as much as the B's have a history of just not scoring in the playoffs except for late 70s teams, especially in that wild series over Buffalo...The B's just buckle, they blink, they are the ones who give up the bad goal, or the late goal, or the tie-breaking goal. The goalies don't stand on their heads....It's maddening. Just once I want a B's goalie to be the one who is totally dominating and taking control of a series even in a low scoring one. Nope. B's probably lead the NHL in its history in 1 or 2-0 playoff losses. When the B's had Neely and Oates, they had virtually nothing else scoring wise and it killed those teams when it counted v. Edmonton/Pittsburgh, teams that had firepower and ok goaltending. But because the B's are so deficient offensively, sometimes you just hope that it's their goalie who does what Thomas did frequently in the regular season--steal games. I'm still waiting for that to happen. . .When or if the B's ever win the Cup again, I guarantee you, it will be because the goalie will win the MVP of the playoffs that season...You'd think by just odds, the B's would have a team where the goalie takes over in a playoff series. I don't know how many series they've played since 71-72, but it's pretty sad to see so many opponent goalies be the story of those series losses. Not all, but many were decided because of the difference in who was guarding the goal.
    Posted by dannycater

Cheevers was in the WHA in 74. Gilbert was in the net in 74.
    So you're going to say that history is going to repeat itself aftrer one game? You're really going to sound like a chump when the B's win this series!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Don't know what the point of this post is....you have to score goals to win a game.  So far, the Bruins have been shut out for their last 5 periods of playoff hockey. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Goalies v. Opponent Playoff Goalies--One-Sided Affair:
    Don't know what the point of this post is....you have to score goals to win a game.  So far, the Bruins have been shut out for their last 5 periods of playoff hockey. 
    Posted by dbg1

You think it's going to be 14 straight periods where the B's don't score?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Goalies v. Opponent Playoff Goalies--One-Sided Affair:
    The '98 playoff, the Bruins were robbed when Tim Taylor's skate was incorrectly ruled in the crease on Axelsson's OT goal in Game 3 (I believe). That changed the momentum when that ruled no goal. I remember Kolzig and the Caps leaving the ice acknowledging it was a good goal.  The Caps escaped with the help of the refs and the B's lost in 6. Taylor's skate was a mere millimeter on the red crease line nowhere near Kolzig. Regardless, the Bruins have never been built as good as they were in 1990 when Moog was in net. It remains to be seen about Thomas and this team.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

That 1998 series against the Caps was a tough pill to swallow. Agreed, B.S. call on the skate in the crease. three of the six games went to overtime, with the Caps winning 2 of them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The point of the post is that regardless of the outcome of this playoffs, you can include last night's loss as yet another time where the opposing goalie outplayed the B's goalie. That is my point. It's been evident for years. Yes, the Kolzig series, the B's were definitely robbed. In the Dafoe-Hasek, really Dafoe was outstanding. Who the hell was in goal in 74? Gilbert? Ok. It's a frustration to see the other goalie always one up the B's. Someone made reference to how often the B's send shots right into the chest of the opposing goalie. That seems to be a constant in B's playoff history too. Lots of shots, no goals. Why? Goalie isn't giving up bad goals v. B's and they aren't giving up much of anything. The B's goalie blinks before the opponent and I'm tired of it. So there!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mario11. Show mario11's posts

Couldn't agree more B's goalies always get outplayed, hopefully this year will be different....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Peeters gave up a couple of bad goals 1st round v. Montreal and Penney...
    In the Pittsburgh series, Peeters looked exposed. Agreed, the Pens were loaded with superstars (Rechhi too, who was a B's killer back then), but Pete couldn't stop a breakaway to save himself. And I still think that Peeters incredible 10 plus shutout year was far more remarkable than Thomas/Dafoe in that it was sort of like watching Pedro v. the AL during the Steroid Era. Hard to have a low GAVG and play as consistenly strong as Peeters did. He had a good defense in front of him, I thought. So not sure about was that particular team a cup-ready squad or not. Certainly Peeters plays like he did in reg. season, his team would have been a Cup finalist. But reg. season and playoffs have never translated. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

That's what a lot of TT lover don't understand.  The most important guy is the goalie.  That is why the Bs haven't won the Cup in a long time.  That is why Rask has to be in net if the Bs want to go far!!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Once again, this thread has relevance. First goalie to blink, 2 goals in a few minutes, team playing from behind, and that's it. Game over. Habs goalie gives up 1 goal on the road in 2 games. It's ridiculous. Never do the B's have the better goalie. It just doesn't matter who they play. If it's not Price, it will be Fleury....it just doesn't seem to matter. B's goalies, Thomas or Rask, will fall behind the 8-ball. Was going behind 2-0, the goalies fault this series?? Absolutely not. The team scores 1 goal in 2 games. But let's face it. Falling behind the way the team did in each game was a killer for a team that just doesn't score goals. You need shutout/stand on the head performance and no B's goalie is capable of it. I hope it changes in Montreal, but the team has turned Price into Parent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Once again, this thread has relevance. First goalie to blink, 2 goals in a few minutes, team playing from behind, and that's it. Game over. Habs goalie gives up 1 goal on the road in 2 games. It's ridiculous. Never do the B's have the better goalie. It just doesn't matter who they play. If it's not Price, it will be Fleury....it just doesn't seem to matter. B's goalies, Thomas or Rask, will fall behind the 8-ball. Was going behind 2-0, the goalies fault this series?? Absolutely not. The team scores 1 goal in 2 games. But let's face it. Falling behind the way the team did in each game was a killer for a team that just doesn't score goals. You need shutout/stand on the head performance and no B's goalie is capable of it. I hope it changes in Montreal, but the team has turned Price into Parent.
    Posted by dannycater

Bottom line is Thomas was totally outplayed & outclassed by Price in the first 2 games, no questions asked!

Sections
Shortcuts