Boston Has Lost 2 Of The Last 9 vs. Montreal In The Playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Boston Has Lost 2 Of The Last 9 vs. Montreal In The Playoffs

If Boston can manage to finish off the Habs again this year,can we finally admit that history no longer has any bearing on the outcome? It was amazing how many people here feared this matchup simply because it's the Habs(and they "always beat us").Bottom line is that Boston is 6-4 in the last 10 series' against them since 1988(33w-24L overall). I personally hope for the matchup every year. This series is what playoff hockey is all about!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Re: Boston Has Lost 2 Of The Last 9 vs. Montreal In The Playoffs

In Response to Boston Has Lost 2 Of The Last 9 vs. Montreal In The Playoffs:
    [QUOTE]If Boston can manage to finish off the Habs again this year,can we finally admit that history no longer has any bearing on the outcome? It was amazing how many people here feared this matchup simply because it's the Habs(and they "always beat us").Bottom line is that Boston is 6-4 in the last 10 series' against them since 1988(33w-24L overall). I personally hope for the matchup every year. This series is what playoff hockey is all about!
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I admit I was one of the ones who was a little nervous about this match up. They just never seem to play their best against Mtl. However in this series, they seem to be coming together. Even Looch had 7 shots yesterday and is starting to play better!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

I with hold all comments until we actually close the series out...we still have to win one more.  

Remember Philly!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Has Lost 2 Of The Last 9 vs. Montreal In The Playoffs:
    [QUOTE]I with hold all comments until we actually close the series out...we still have to win one more.   Remember Philly!!
    Posted by dbg1[/QUOTE]

I'm with you.  Trying soooo hard not to get ahead of myself, like I did about 15 minutes into the first period in game 7 against the Flyers. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

History has no bearing when you speaking about different years.  It's not as if studying the play of Shayne Corson will help the team conquer this year's Habs. 

However, studying previous games, or remembering previous goals and not making the same mistakes is helpful (looking at you Boychuk).

This has been an incredible series and one that will never be forgotten.  In 30 years, we'll all still be able to rattle off the B's lines without pause.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I haven't feared the Canadiens since Neely finished them off in 1988. ESPN Classic did a top 20 greatest rivalries and only included the Habs-Leafs rivalry clueless result so glad the NHL decided to remain with Vesus/NBC.

It's a greater rivalry than the Sox-Yankees in my mind because of the action, hitting, timely saves, tick tack toe passing and fighting when things boil over. Don't get me wrong I still get a chill when Varitek shoves AFraud in the face or Sugar Ray Allen sticks a J in Kobe's face but there is nothing like watching a Shab player stand in disbelief when a Bruin skates by celebrating a goal or Pat Burns standing at a podium "Of all teams we got swept by the Bruins!".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

remember the 2004 playoffs, how did that turn out?....

"those that forget history are doomed to repeat it"....

sorry, i'm one of those that isn't convinced yet but will gladly eat crow if the b's do pull it off....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]If Boston can manage to finish off the Habs again this year,can we finally admit that history no longer has any bearing on the outcome?

People should have admitted that a long time ago. Heck, even recent history (2008 and 2009) have no bearing on the outcome, and if MTL comes back and wins the series, THAT would have nothing to do with Saku Koivu, Guy Lafleur, Jose Theodore, Larry Robinson or anyone else who doesn't currently wear a Bs or Habs uniform.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Has Lost 2 Of The Last 9 vs. Montreal In The Playoffs:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Boston Has Lost 2 Of The Last 9 vs. Montreal In The Playoffs : People should have admitted that a long time ago. Heck, even recent history (2008 and 2009) have no bearing on the outcome, and if MTL comes back and wins the series, THAT would have nothing to do with Saku Koivu, Guy Lafleur, Jose Theodore, Larry Robinson or anyone else who doesn't currently wear a Bs or Habs uniform.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]
    You're right Kennedy.With the lineup changes both teams have had in the past few years,there is very little "history" involved in the outcome of a series.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

The history is & will always be there! You can't change the anxiety that history brings with it. Part of the reason why the history has such an impact when it comes to Bos vs Mon is the dramatic fashions in the way the B's have been beaten in the play-offs against these guys. Like in gm 3 in 71' the B's having a 5-1 lead only to lose 7-5. In 79' with the 3-1 & 4-3 leads in game 7 slipping away. In 85' with Mats Naslund putting the puck thru the legs of Dougie Keans with 51 sec left in game 5 in a best of 5.
    When the B's have beaten the Habs it hasn't been in such dramitic ways. Sure, they were exciting & even nail biting. Like Glen Wesley's goal in 94. However, there's never been a lot wins where a lot extreme circumstances have gone in the B's favor. I think that's why the history from a B's point of view keeps a lot us on pins & needles.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

3 of last 12.

How about 4 game sweep of habnots 2 years ago, only done by 2 other teams, with a total domination.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

I agree so many peeps in MTL picked the Habs using the argument that the Habs always beat the Bruins.  That + the Forum ghosts crap is so annoying!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

IMO , with the current team, all of these comments reflect how we, the fans, feel. This Bruins team wants to win, and have no fear of "ghosts" or history. Kelly, Peverly, Marchand, Horton, have never played in these Montreal series, and the rest have played well against the Habs, for the most part. The only slip ups have been dumb plays.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

[QUOTE]If Boston can manage to finish off the Habs again this year,can we finally admit that history no longer has any bearing on the outcome? It was amazing how many people here feared this matchup simply because it's the Habs(and they "always beat us").Bottom line is that Boston is 6-4 in the last 10 series' against them since 1988(33w-24L overall). I personally hope for the matchup every year. This series is what playoff hockey is all about!

*delurk mode*
    Great post Dez. Neely and Bourque cleaned out this "curse" a long time ago.
    *lurk mode*

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

Posted by dezaruchi[/QU

The past is gone. Nothing that happened in the past can impact NOW. Forget the past.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]The history is & will always be there! You can't change the anxiety that history brings with it. Part of the reason why the history has such an impact when it comes to Bos vs Mon is the dramatic fashions in the way the B's have been beaten in the play-offs against these guys. Like in gm 3 in 71' the B's having a 5-1 lead only to lose 7-5. In 79' with the 3-1 & 4-3 leads in game 7 slipping away. In 85' with Mats Naslund putting the puck thru the legs of Dougie Keans with 51 sec left in game 5 in a best of 5. When the B's have beaten the Habs it hasn't been in such dramitic ways. Sure, they were exciting & even nail biting. Like Glen Wesley's goal in 94. However, there's never been a lot wins where a lot extreme circumstances have gone in the B's favor. I think that's why the history from a B's point of view keeps a lot us on pins & needles.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

I agree...history is always there....but as your post indicates, it's there for the fans. We eat it up.

I don't think it matters much to the players who decide the outcome of present series is all. I don't think Mats Naslund or Glen Wesley are on the minds of anyone inside either of the two locker rooms.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Has Lost 2 Of The Last 9 vs. Montreal In The Playoffs : I agree...history is always there....but as your post indicates, it's there for the fans. We eat it up. I don't think it matters much to the players who decide the outcome of present series is all. I don't think Mats Naslund or Glen Wesley are on the minds of anyone inside either of the two locker rooms.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

Yep you're right! Those things don't wrestle in the players minds because in most instances the players were either; not old enough to remember, or they cheered for another team as a kid. Where you said as fans "we eat it up." Maybe as a Hab fan you have eaten it up, bit for a lot of us Bruin fans we not only have eaten it up. We suffer from a constant pain of indigestion when it comes to this Bos/Mon matchup!
    Don't take this the wrong way Kennedy, but as a Montreal fan you've had it pretty good against us. I mean I was born in 68'. Became a Orr fan when I was 2 because of a toy hockey stick & puck. I had to wait 18 yrs just to know what it felt like to beat your stinkin team. LOL the 90's was the greatest decade of my life!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bailey77. Show bailey77's posts

You can continue to worry until we know the outcome of tonights game...far far from over - over confidence is no ones friend...I'm NOT a habs fan but i just have to take this one game at a time :)

[QUOTE]In Response to Boston Has Lost 2 Of The Last 9 vs. Montreal In The Playoffs : I admit I was one of the ones who was a little nervous about this match up. They just never seem to play their best against Mtl. However in this series, they seem to be coming together. Even Looch had 7 shots yesterday and is starting to play better!
    Posted by Ronstar8[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

I agree with most posters here that looking so far back in the teams' histories it becomes a moot point to fear the Habs because we didnt beat them back in 1965, let alone 2005. Too much time has passed, too much team turnover, but...
    I was one that said I didnt like the match up so soon before the Bruins could get "their playoff legs under them". And one thing I pointed to was the atmosphere up there. Its mental..
    Glad I was proven wrong as we've taken the first two road games. Lets hope I get proven wrong again.
    Go B's!!

Sections
Shortcuts