Boston vs Detroit round 1 thread.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ramz. Show Ramz's posts

Boston vs Detroit round 1 thread.

Oh folks series is set and lets get the party started. So lets keep all our thoughts and game talk here for easy access.

So let me get it started by saying that the Bruins will have their hands full but over 7 games the Bruins will prevail if it goes that long.....Go Bruins GO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

Re: Boston vs Detroit round 1 thread.

Going to be a tough series. The Bruins are going to have to play tough physical games and grind down the Red Wings. Big key is to play with discipline and stay out of the penalty box as much as possible.

Is the playoff schedule out yet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Stay out of the box! Discipline is key. Bs in 6.
    I heard Thursday for game one but that's unofficial. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[Opening to Zeppelin's Immigrant Song playing in the background...]

Here it comes....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ramz. Show Ramz's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stay out of the box! Discipline is key. Bs in 6.
    I heard Thursday for game one but that's unofficial. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes it starts Thurs due to the Celtics last home game on Wed.  Also game 2 will be on Sat afternoon me thinks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Bruins in 4.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Bruins in 5.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

The speed of the Red Wings concerns me. They have some young legs and have Datsyuk rounding into form. The Wings have also been playing pretty well playoff hockey since the olympics and have been very good.

If Paille is out then the Bruins better insert some additional speed in the bottom two lines. I don't like the idea of Campbell, Caron & Thornton matching up against the Red Wings 4th line. A player like Thornton will have huge difficulty keeping up with the young forwards of the Wings. I realize Thornton plays a huge role in team chemistry but this is not a good matchup for a guy like Thornton. The Wings don't fight and play a finesse skill game.

I hope the Bruins will win but this is certainly no easy matchup. Julien will have to make some adjustments to alter Detroits style. The Bs dman are really thin behind Chara and a 7 game series with a speed team like Detroit may expose that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Fourth line matchups don't win Stanley Cups. If the Bruins were thin on the blueline, after Chara, they don't win the 2011 SCF, get to the 2013 SCF and don't win the 2014 President's cup.

This series goes 7 games unless Howard goes back to his inconsistent behavior of earlier this season. I like the Bruins 3rd line matchup a lot! Could be the major difference in this series. Another is offense generated by Chara, Hamilton and college defensive stud Krug. Big plus having threats for goal production from your blueline.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Anything can happen, but I like Boston's chances.

Bruins in 5.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Your favorite newspaper or website will do this for you in a few days - either game day or as part of a playoff preview - but I like to get a jump on these things.

Know your Red Wings.

- The Wings didn't have a single player score 50 points this season - though Alfredsson, Kronwall and Nyquist might get there today if they play.

- The only Wing to hit the 20 goal mark is Nyquist. 

- Everyone went loopy over Tavares getting injured at the Olympics, but Henrik Zetterberg going down may be more relevant.  He had 48 points in 45 games for the Wings and finished fourth in team scoring even though he missed almost half the year.

- Datsyuk is back, but hasn't been a major threat for the Wings since his return.  He has two goals in 5 games.  Depending on today's results, he could finish the year as a minus player for the first time ever.

- Detroit is not the Wings of yore, but they are exactly what their record says they are - at least, in terms of performance over the season: 16th in wins, 16th in goals/game, 18th in goals against/game, 1.01 in 5vs5, 16th in PP, 12th in PK, 14th in FO%.  But then, this is a new season.

- Detroit's scoring comes off the RW - 3 of their top 5 scorers are RWs.  The LW is fast, though, with Tatar and Abdelkadr.  Legwand, Datsyuk and Helm don't look that dangerous on paper this year, but Legwand is an underappreciated player, Datsyuk is Datsyuk, and Helm is the kind of player who hurts you with timely scoring and hustle.

- Interesting mix on D with Kronwall and Ericsson top notch players (I'm betting Ericsson plays), DeKeyser, Smith and Kindl a solid Jr. Varsity, and Quincey and Lashoff better in Detroit than they'd be in a lot of places.

Matchups

- Detroit won the regular season series 3-1.  Bruins won the first game, Detroit the next three including a 6-1 pumping that was the worst game of the Bruins's year to these eyes.  Aggregate score Wings 13 - Bruins 9.

- Bruins controlled the first game, Wings scored 2 in under 3 minutes of the second period to take the second (a late goal by Lucic made it close), Wings dominated game 3 with a late Iginla goal breaking the shutout bid, and then the Wings again scored two goals in rapid succession to take the final game of the season - even though the Bruins controlled the play and outshot the wings 35-20.

- Head to head, no Bruin scored more than once against the Wings, while Zetterberg had 3 and Nyquist and Tatar each had 2 (Nyquist had his 3rd of the year and then his 28th against the Bruins - long time between those games!).  Reilly Smith had four assists to lead the Bruins folllowed by 3 points for Fat.  Franzen and Andersson both had 3 assists to go with Zetterberg's 3 goals.

- Zetterberg vs. No Zetterberg is clearly a huge difference-maker.

- Rask played all four games vs. the Wings.  Howard and Gustavsson split the series against the Bruins.  Howard, likely to be the starter all the way for Detroit, was 1-1 in his two games.

- The Bruins had 3 ppg against the Wings.  The Wings had one against Boston in that blowout.

- Most memorable moment of the season series may have been Datsyuk making a couple of standout strips of Bergeron and Bergeron actually expressing surprise/frustration on the second one when he seemed to have a grade A scoring chance.  If Datsyuk is healthy, this series pits two of the best all around players in the game against one another - potentially head to head.  Bergeron has only one point against the Wings in four games.  Datsyuk has 2 and missed one of the games.

- Playing the matchups will be interesting: Does Babcock sick his top D pairing on Krejci or Bergeron?  I'm guessing Krejci because they're physical enough to go at it hammer and tongs with Lucic and Iginla.  I'm going to guess Krejci sees Legwand and Kronwall, and Bergeron gets Datsyuk and the second pairing.  That means the head to head between Soderberg and Helm lines will be very important.

- NHL.com did a story on Hamilton and DeKeyser taking different paths to similar careers to date (Hamilton having a few years of development in hand).  Could be an interesting story: if Hamilton plays like good Hamilton - offensively aggressive, smart, physical but positionally sound in his own end - he could be a key to the series.  If DeKeyser outplays him, it could be a much tougher series.

- Bruins will have tough decisions to make on the blueline.  The playoffs are here.  Which mix of Krug/Meszaros/Bartkowski/Hamilton is the best fit against the Wings, and how much does CJ change from game to game to keep these guys in it and sharp and confident?

I think this is going to be a good series, but one that belies the season series.  Based on nothing but gut instinct, I could see Detroit taking the first game, the Bruins evening it on home ice; Detroit takes game three, the Bruins even it before heading home, then they win at home and close the series on the road.  Bruins in six.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

One of the match ups that I didn't want to see happen, tough series for sure I think.

I believe the first round will be the toughest round in the East for the Bruins.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Wings are overrated because of how good they've been in the past, imo. In reality they were a pretty average and borderline playoff team. Zetterberg is injured and might not play, Howard has been pretty average. Sure Nyquist and Datysuk are threats, but I can't see Detroit pulling off an upset. They also won't have the shootout to bail them out and have been horrendous in OT. Bruins in 5 or 6.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Bruins have problems with every team they play in first round,really hope they put the Wings away in 5 ,seven game series is to dangerous.just get er done.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Newfiebullet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The speed of the Red Wings concerns me. They have some young legs and have Datsyuk rounding into form. The Wings have also been playing pretty well playoff hockey since the olympics and have been very good.

If Paille is out then the Bruins better insert some additional speed in the bottom two lines. I don't like the idea of Campbell, Caron & Thornton matching up against the Red Wings 4th line. A player like Thornton will have huge difficulty keeping up with the young forwards of the Wings. I realize Thornton plays a huge role in team chemistry but this is not a good matchup for a guy like Thornton. The Wings don't fight and play a finesse skill game.

I hope the Bruins will win but this is certainly no easy matchup. Julien will have to make some adjustments to alter Detroits style. The Bs dman are really thin behind Chara and a 7 game series with a speed team like Detroit may expose that.

[/QUOTE]

Since the Olympics, they've gone won 12 and lost 11.  I this the "pretty well playoff hockey" they've been playing?

Who are the fast guys that "concern" you?  Datsyuk?  Franzen?  Alfredsson?  Bertuzzi?  LOL  More mythical than truthical.

The B's defense is thin behind Chara?  They just finished with the best record in the NHL.  Don't you think the outcom would have been different?

I will tell you what the problem is.  As a culture, being excited for the team to go far has become taboo, as if fan confidence has any affect on the on-ice play.  Further, people try to hedge against being wrong, especially because stuff online lives forever.

The result?

I say F ALL THAT.

You want to be a Bruins fan?  You want it?  Be confident!  No one cares if you're wrong.  This is the playoffs.  Get out those pompoms and wave them high.  Don't be afraid of this team's this or that.  Don't be concerned about this garbage or that garbage.  Get jacked up. This is a great Bruins team and the playoffs are finally here.  Barring major injury (Rask or Chara), I can't imagine them not playing for the Cup in two months.

As for the Dead Wings:  Limping in for the 8th seed isn't impressive.  They're old.  Howard has had a rotgut year.  They're lucky to be in at all, but it won't be for long.  The B's will dispatch these jokers with little effort.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

And this:

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Dear Red Wings,

Congrats.  You made it to the playoffs!

You're playing Boston.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

I understand what you say, NAS, but, I think it will be a tough one....Bruins in 7.

IMO, Eriksson MUST step up and contribute, stop looking like a just-average Rich Peverley who can't bury, and find the back of the net with Soderberg. Then, the third line could make it easyer. And, like Newfie said, I'd rather see Spooner than Thornton against the Wings, if Paille is hurt. Caron is so weak, too, we really need Kelly to be back and everybody to stay healthy on offense.

On D, Bart and Mesjaros are so-so....the rest of the group is really good, but will miss the strong play and physical presence of Seidenberg.

Let's go Tukka !!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

And by the way, Bookboy, thanks for all the infos on the match-up !!! :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Thank God !    It will be much easier with the wings ....BRUINS in 5 

Blue Jackets in 6 against the Pens .....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Bruins in 6!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

The BEST Team in the NHL for the 2013/2014 Season - The Boston Bruins.

Not the Wings, not the Avs, not the Blues, & certainly not the Penguins,

but the Bruins.

They will win many games, and maybe lose a few, but they will make it to the Finals.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Remi72's comment:

IMO, Eriksson MUST step up and contribute, stop looking like a just-average Rich Peverley who can't bury, and find the back of the net with Soderberg. Then, the third line could make it easyer.

G        P
    2012-2013  21 2 0 2 -8

2007-2008  18 4 4 8  1

LouI now needs to make it happen. No more excuses.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ramz. Show Ramz's posts

IM going to say Bruins in 5

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They will win many games, and maybe lose a few, but they will make it to the Finals.

[/QUOTE]

I only care that they win 16 before anyone else!

Sections
Shortcuts