Boston vs Detroit round 1 thread.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from blackcrowes. Show blackcrowes's posts

Re: Boston vs Detroit round 1 thread.

I think a lot of people get wrapped up in the history of the Red Wings and not the 2013-14 reality. The 2013-14 Red Wings right now are a team have played .500 hockey since the Olympics at the same time that the Bruins ran roughshod over the rest of the league. And I know the Red Wings are fast, but so were a lot of team that the Bruins beat in the last month. It's not like the Bruins are running around in cement blocks out there. I'll take my chances. Bruins in 6!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Really if the Leafs hadn't colapsed Detroit probably doesn't get in.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The last time the B's played the Redwings in the playoffs was 1957,before i was born,there is no current playoff history between these teams and no animosity,the Wings aren't divers like the Habs so that is an important difference and as mentioned regular season records don't mean squat in the playoffs,i think the B's are the better,stronger and more complete squad than the Wings,Bruins in 4 or 5,i haven't decided yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In response to paesan59's comment:

Going to be a tough series. The Bruins are going to have to play tough physical games and grind down the Red Wings. Big key is to play with discipline and stay out of the penalty box as much as possible.

Is the playoff schedule out yet.

FRIDAY

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Bruins in 6. 2 games go to OT & they each win one of those. I even say the Wings wake the bear by winning game 1. I find the Bruins play much better after some adversity of some sort. The Bruins have gone 4 & 4 in game 7's since 2008. In the series they won game 7's they overcame some adversity, but I think they don't let it get to that point this year. One game wakes them up. They may lose a tough one here & there thruout, but I don't think at any point do they allow themselves to get behind 2 games in a series. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Wings are well coached, have some real good players. Bruins are well coached and have better players. I think that is what it comes down to. Wouldnt shock me if the Wings make it go 7 nor would it if the B's swept them. Eithr way I see the Bruins prevailing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

My only fear is that Detroit becomes the Kings of 2 years ago.  That is, a team that gets in as an 8 seed and has a whole new look with Datsyuk, Zetteberg, Alfie, etc...  ----It's sort of like the Kings when they got all of the x-Flyers for their run.  I just hope that Howard does not become Quick.    I'm still confident but do think the Wings will take 2 or 3 games.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

I don't understand why the series is starting on Friday and not Thursday. This is the only series that starts on the Friday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I can't believe everyone is so bent about the Wings.  They barely made it in.  They're not a good team at all. 

Bruins in 4.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Stinks that they go through all this trouble resting guys, then don't start until Friday. What the frig, NHL?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Stinks that they go through all this trouble resting guys, then don't start until Friday. What the frig, NHL?

It's called "rest" but technically -- it's try not to have a Paille moment coming into the playoffs.

We have a Friday start so I can sit back on Wed and Thurs and watch some great hockey. Flyers/Rangers -- Habs/Bolts and Blues/Hawks are tops on my list.

Cautiously optimistic -- not one to predict nor dwell on history. Yes -- Wings won the series but teams don't often resemble after the trade deadline or when you factor in the injuries. I'll take a sweep if it comes but my last "easy sweep" nightmare was 2 years ago with Caps. Ran into a hot goalie and I was rightfully worried about the timely return of Green and Backstrom from injury. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

The Wings play a system that gives the Bruins all they can handle. The season stats don't mean anything now. Detroit is a better team then thier final stats. They are becoming healthier for the first time this year. Babcock is the number 1 guy on this team and Nyquist is the most lethal one to cover. It seems Datsyuk is not 100 % yet and Zetterberg will be a later start in this series. Not starting til Friday helps them more than us. So we should come out ready and hard first game and get this series over. Having said that the first series for the Bruins never go that way. This will not be an easy series. Let’s get the kinks out and take them in 6 if we can be so fortunate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Some are comparing this matchup to the Habs 1st round in 2011. Comparing the regular season matchups , speed and feistiness  .  Habs are always in a class of their own when the Bruins meet them and probably one the biggest rivalries in sports (after RedSox-Yankees). To me that's the only series there are no favorites where anything can happen. 

This will be similar to the Rangers last season .  This is why I see the Bruins winning in 5.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

We have no history of meeting them in the playoffs like the Habs but be warned that Detroit definitely has the Bruins number.  Detroit has 3 of 4 wins this year and 8 of 10 since 2008. Whether or not the 8 wins over 6 years translates to playoffs or not has yet to be seen. But the Bruins have gone 7 games in the last 3 first rounds and anything is possible in sudden death final game scenarios.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Newfiebullet's comment:

The speed of the Red Wings concerns me. They have some young legs and have Datsyuk rounding into form. The Wings have also been playing pretty well playoff hockey since the olympics and have been very good.

If Paille is out then the Bruins better insert some additional speed in the bottom two lines. I don't like the idea of Campbell, Caron & Thornton matching up against the Red Wings 4th line. A player like Thornton will have huge difficulty keeping up with the young forwards of the Wings. I realize Thornton plays a huge role in team chemistry but this is not a good matchup for a guy like Thornton. The Wings don't fight and play a finesse skill game.

I hope the Bruins will win but this is certainly no easy matchup. Julien will have to make some adjustments to alter Detroits style. The Bs dman are really thin behind Chara and a 7 game series with a speed team like Detroit may expose that.

Since the Olympics, they've gone won 12 and lost 11.  I this the "pretty well playoff hockey" they've been playing?

Who are the fast guys that "concern" you?  Datsyuk?  Franzen?  Alfredsson?  Bertuzzi?  LOL  More mythical than truthical.

The B's defense is thin behind Chara?  They just finished with the best record in the NHL.  Don't you think the outcom would have been different?

I will tell you what the problem is.  As a culture, being excited for the team to go far has become taboo, as if fan confidence has any affect on the on-ice play.  Further, people try to hedge against being wrong, especially because stuff online lives forever.

The result?

I say F ALL THAT.

You want to be a Bruins fan?  You want it?  Be confident!  No one cares if you're wrong.  This is the playoffs.  Get out those pompoms and wave them high.  Don't be afraid of this team's this or that.  Don't be concerned about this garbage or that garbage.  Get jacked up. This is a great Bruins team and the playoffs are finally here.  Barring major injury (Rask or Chara), I can't imagine them not playing for the Cup in two months.

As for the Dead Wings:  Limping in for the 8th seed isn't impressive.  They're old.  Howard has had a rotgut year.  They're lucky to be in at all, but it won't be for long.  The B's will dispatch these jokers with little effort.

Agree, lets enjoy.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ErnestoGiove. Show ErnestoGiove's posts

Since Boston has the higher seed, yet a lot of people are calling for the Detroit upset, does that make the Bruins the underdog?

I think Detroit shows up game 1 and steals it, Bruins learn, adapt and take game 2. bruins steal game 3 and win game 4. Come home and from behind to end it in 5. If they can get past Detroit, I think the east is a cakewalk after that - I don't think Tampa or Montreal can beat us in 7 after taking out Detroit. Philly, Rangers  - lack depth. The only other potential probelm I see is Pittsburgh, and they must have been waiting for the Bruins since last year.

So I will call - Bruins are out in first round or win the Stanley Cup - nothing in between.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I can't believe everyone is so bent about the Wings.  They barely made it in.  They're not a good team at all. 

Bruins in 4.

Just like I cant believe everyone picked the Pens over the Blue Jackets ...no way in the world the pens will beat the Blue Jackets ....open your eyes 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

Bruins in 4.

Just like I cant believe everyone picked the Pens over the Blue Jackets ...no way in the world the pens will beat the Blue Jackets ....open your eyes 

Oh this will be fun. This post will be remembered StanStan

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to blackcrowes' comment:

I think a lot of people get wrapped up in the history of the Red Wings and not the 2013-14 reality. The 2013-14 Red Wings right now are a team have played .500 hockey since the Olympics at the same time that the Bruins ran roughshod over the rest of the league. And I know the Red Wings are fast, but so were a lot of team that the Bruins beat in the last month. It's not like the Bruins are running around in cement blocks out there. I'll take my chances. Bruins in 6!

^Well said.  I don't really get the Red Wing fawning either.  They have some great players, but this is a beat up team that plays around .500 hockey.  I don't even think the speed is some great issue either.  If the Bruins lose this series, they will have simply laid an egg.  They are better.  They should win.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

I live 30 mins outside Detroit, unfortunately my work schedule doesn't allow me to catch any of the Detroit home games. Judging by sports analysts, they sense the regular season record doesn't tell the whole story. Fans are positive,  as they should be, but the consensus is that they wish they got the "soft Pens".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Al-Samarraie's comment:

I live 30 mins outside Detroit, unfortunately my work schedule doesn't allow me to catch any of the Detroit home games. Judging by sports analysts, they sense the regular season record doesn't tell the whole story. Fans are positive,  as they should be, but the consensus is that they wish they got the "soft Pens".

Me too had this feeling. I watched the game against the Canes friday night and it looked like the Wings really wanted to win at all costs. It just seemed like they wanted the 7th seed (best wildcard) .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Bruins in 4.

You can say the Bruins in 4 all you want NAS,  but I will tell you one thing. If the Bruins become even a little bit complacent like they did against the Leafs and allow the Red Wings to get anywhere near their jugular. The Bruins will be in a lot of trouble. This Red Wings team is no where near the unstable Leaf team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

You can say the Bruins in 4 all you want NAS,  but I will tell you one thing. If the Bruins become even a little bit complacent like they did against the Leafs and allow the Red Wings to get anywhere near their jugular. The Bruins will be in a lot of trouble. This Red Wings team is no where near the unstable Leaf team.

Bruins in 4

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

You can say the Bruins in 4 all you want

Bruins in 4

Bruins in 4

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

Bruins   4------------Wings  0

Let's see if I'm correct on this one.

Sections
Shortcuts