Boston vs Detroit round 1 thread.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Re: Boston vs Detroit round 1 thread.

Hey if were are worried, imagine how worried Red Wing fans

are! First round is always tough.

Bruins will win.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

NAS, I look at it as the difference between "on paper" and on the ice.  When they're on the ice, I expect them to win every game.  When looking at matchups on paper, it's interesting to run scenarios.  Neither means anything.  Give me 16-0 in the pool.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NAS, I look at it as the difference between "on paper" and on the ice.  When they're on the ice, I expect them to win every game.  When looking at matchups on paper, it's interesting to run scenarios.  Neither means anything.  Give me 16-0 in the pool.

[/QUOTE]

For the record, I was writing mine while you were writing yours.  My post wasn't in response to your awesome breakdown, which was great to read.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Since the Olympics, they've gone won 12 and lost 11.  I this the "pretty well playoff hockey" they've been playing?

Who are the fast guys that "concern" you?  Datsyuk?  Franzen?  Alfredsson?  Bertuzzi?  LOL  More mythical than truthical.

The B's defense is thin behind Chara?  They just finished with the best record in the NHL.  Don't you think the outcom would have been different?

I will tell you what the problem is.  As a culture, being excited for the team to go far has become taboo, as if fan confidence has any affect on the on-ice play.  Further, people try to hedge against being wrong, especially because stuff online lives forever.

The result?

I say F ALL THAT.

You want to be a Bruins fan?  You want it?  Be confident!  No one cares if you're wrong.  This is the playoffs.  Get out those pompoms and wave them high.  Don't be afraid of this team's this or that.  Don't be concerned about this garbage or that garbage.  Get jacked up. This is a great Bruins team and the playoffs are finally here.  Barring major injury (Rask or Chara), I can't imagine them not playing for the Cup in two months.

As for the Dead Wings:  Limping in for the 8th seed isn't impressive.  They're old.  Howard has had a rotgut year.  They're lucky to be in at all, but it won't be for long.  The B's will dispatch these jokers with little effort.

[/QUOTE]

Great to be positive, but in any situation, it's dunb to overlook reality.  An over reaction on one end, almost always guarantees one on the other.  It's easy to handle both ends of the spectrum really.  Be happy, excited.  Enjoy the games, but realize anything can happen.  The B's could lose, but it doesn't mean they're losers.  Big upsets are common.  If the b's beat Detroit, it'll be another accomplishment.  On to the next step.  there's a reason nobody gets a bye to the finals.

As far as "being wrong",  it's difficult to have intelligent conversations, if there isn't at least some purpose to being right.  When I think of those who never "hedge their bet", I think of Stanley.

Perhaps the biggest flaw in "pompom' land, is what happens if things don't go as planned.  Unfortunately, those that cheer the loudest, are often those who "turn" quickest.  Proclaiming to the top of their lungs what a bunch of "fat dogs" this group turned into.

Like you say, being "confident", wont jinx the team.  But like you've also said, theres nothing we can feel, say, or do that has any bearing on the outcome, so that covers off the opposite way of looking at things.

Even though this group, has a Cup, and a Cup final appearence in 2 of the last 3 years, those 3 playoff 1st rounds included being beat by a lower seed, and taken to o/t in the 7th game by the other 2 opponents, which were much lower seeds also.

There will be upsets in round 1.  Always are.  This one doesn't work against those probabilities.

I think it's going to be a tough series, and I'm gonna enjoy the ride.  If I feel the Bruins play well and lose, I'll deal with it.  If they play poorly and win, I'll deal with it better.  Thought they played well against Chi last year, and that really helped take "some" of the sting off losing.

Since, many are giving predictions, I'll throw in a couple.  Bruins in 6.  If it goes 7, Bruins lose.  As odd as this may seem to some hockey fans, I really honestly, totally believe.... if the B's win round 1, they'll win the Cup.  I don't feel Detroit's going anywhere even if they do win.

I don't think that makes me a lessor Bruin fan, defeatist or negative. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Remi72. Show Remi72's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Since the Olympics, they've gone won 12 and lost 11.  I this the "pretty well playoff hockey" they've been playing?

Who are the fast guys that "concern" you?  Datsyuk?  Franzen?  Alfredsson?  Bertuzzi?  LOL  More mythical than truthical.

The B's defense is thin behind Chara?  They just finished with the best record in the NHL.  Don't you think the outcom would have been different?

I will tell you what the problem is.  As a culture, being excited for the team to go far has become taboo, as if fan confidence has any affect on the on-ice play.  Further, people try to hedge against being wrong, especially because stuff online lives forever.

The result?

I say F ALL THAT.

You want to be a Bruins fan?  You want it?  Be confident!  No one cares if you're wrong.  This is the playoffs.  Get out those pompoms and wave them high.  Don't be afraid of this team's this or that.  Don't be concerned about this garbage or that garbage.  Get jacked up. This is a great Bruins team and the playoffs are finally here.  Barring major injury (Rask or Chara), I can't imagine them not playing for the Cup in two months.

As for the Dead Wings:  Limping in for the 8th seed isn't impressive.  They're old.  Howard has had a rotgut year.  They're lucky to be in at all, but it won't be for long.  The B's will dispatch these jokers with little effort.

[/QUOTE]

Great to be positive, but in any situation, it's dunb to overlook reality.  An over reaction on one end, almost always guarantees one on the other.  It's easy to handle both ends of the spectrum really.  Be happy, excited.  Enjoy the games, but realize anything can happen.  The B's could lose, but it doesn't mean they're losers.  Big upsets are common.  If the b's beat Detroit, it'll be another accomplishment.  On to the next step.  there's a reason nobody gets a bye to the finals.

As far as "being wrong",  it's difficult to have intelligent conversations, if there isn't at least some purpose to being right.  When I think of those who never "hedge their bet", I think of Stanley.

Perhaps the biggest flaw in "pompom' land, is what happens if things don't go as planned.  Unfortunately, those that cheer the loudest, are often those who "turn" quickest.  Proclaiming to the top of their lungs what a bunch of "fat dogs" this group turned into.

Like you say, being "confident", wont jinx the team.  But like you've also said, theres nothing we can feel, say, or do that has any bearing on the outcome, so that covers off the opposite way of looking at things.

Even though this group, has a Cup, and a Cup final appearence in 2 of the last 3 years, those 3 playoff 1st rounds included being beat by a lower seed, and taken to o/t in the 7th game by the other 2 opponents, which were much lower seeds also.

There will be upsets in round 1.  Always are.  This one doesn't work against those probabilities.

I think it's going to be a tough series, and I'm gonna enjoy the ride.  If I feel the Bruins play well and lose, I'll deal with it.  If they play poorly and win, I'll deal with it better.  Thought they played well against Chi last year, and that really helped take "some" of the sting off losing.

Since, many are giving predictions, I'll throw in a couple.  Bruins in 6.  If it goes 7, Bruins lose.  As odd as this may seem to some hockey fans, I really honestly, totally believe.... if the B's win round 1, they'll win the Cup.  I don't feel Detroit's going anywhere even if they do win.

I don't think that makes me a lessor Bruin fan, defeatist or negative. 

[/QUOTE]

It's so much a great post that all I can add is : I wish I wrote it !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bruins in 4.

[/QUOTE]

Simply idiotic !!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Newfiebullet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The speed of the Red Wings concerns me. They have some young legs and have Datsyuk rounding into form. The Wings have also been playing pretty well playoff hockey since the olympics and have been very good.

If Paille is out then the Bruins better insert some additional speed in the bottom two lines. I don't like the idea of Campbell, Caron & Thornton matching up against the Red Wings 4th line. A player like Thornton will have huge difficulty keeping up with the young forwards of the Wings. I realize Thornton plays a huge role in team chemistry but this is not a good matchup for a guy like Thornton. The Wings don't fight and play a finesse skill game.

I hope the Bruins will win but this is certainly no easy matchup. Julien will have to make some adjustments to alter Detroits style. The Bs dman are really thin behind Chara and a 7 game series with a speed team like Detroit may expose that.

[/QUOTE]

The result?

I say F ALL THAT.

[/QUOTE]

You must have a short memory. If I remember correctly, didn't the Red Wings beat Bruins 3 times this year ?  Not very bright disrespecting the opposition. The Bruins will have their hands full with the Wings. That being said I am expecting a hard fought 6 or 7 game series that hopefully goes the Bruin's way !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You must have a short memory. If I remember correctly, didn't the Red Wings beat Bruins 3 times this year ?  Not very bright disrespecting the opposition. The Bruins will have their hands full with the Wings. That being said I am expecting a hard fought 6 or 7 game series that hopefully goes the Bruin's way !!

[/QUOTE]

Tell me why.  Tell me what a post I put on the local newspaper message board will do to the series.  Let me know if my thoughts here are so powerful that they can change the outcome of a series. 

Oh no, the Wings won a few during the season.  Does a game from six months ago have anything to do with a game next week? 

Bruins in 4

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

So, since everyone picks the Bs, I will too.  I guess that makes me join the "intelligent" analysis gang.  It's defintelty looking at things from an "objective" perspective from what I can tell.

I'm a Bs fan and I want them to win it all.  But, no one controls the outcome. Or KNOWS it.

I don't short change any opponent against anyone.  There are some ways to look at the Red Wings as posing problems for the Bs, but I won't list them lest I be considered a "traitor" or worse - a "TROLL" Surprised

Predictions are fun, like Cracker Jack surprises.  I only we all saw UConn beating Kentucky coming.  We could buy the team from Jacobs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Bruins were 0-3 against the Penguins during the 2012-1013 regular season.

There goes that theory.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

What theory is that?  If you're referring to my post, I never said anything about the regular season record.  It means ZILCH.  I agree with you on that.

My .02: Detroit has speed, lots of it, and they can lull opponents into controlling the play and then sneak up and score goals.   Also, a healthy Detroit (with Zetterberg and Ercisson) was the team that pushed Chicago to 7 games last year.  

Of course, the Bs can and should beat Detroit.   Preparation, execution, and mental toughness.  I'd like the Bs to give them a lot of the physical, more than they can handle.  It will wear them down.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I think playoff series are just as much about executing a system than anything else. Pittsburgh arguably has a better team than Philly, but they always get rattled and fail to maximize their own system every time and it's a horrible matchup. On the flip side, we saw what Boston was able to do against Vancouver, and before that what Carolina did against Boston.

I think Detroit will be a tough out because it's unlikely they'll crap the bed so much that any one game will be more than a 1 or 2-goal difference. It also wouldn't be a huge shocker for Boston to come out of the gate a bit sluggish because they haven't played a complete game in a long time. Forget history, ANY goalie can steal a game.

That all said....the Bs know their system, they've got the horses who know what it takes plus some new faces ready to step up. They're the best team 5-on-5 by far when they want to be. I say Boston in 5, with every game being a nailbiter. Kelly-Soderberg-Eriksson is the difference.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bruins in 4.

[/QUOTE]

Simply idiotic !!

[/QUOTE]

You would've said the same thing if I wrote Bruins in 4 vs the Pens last year.  Bruins in 4!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bruins in 4.

[/QUOTE]

Simply idiotic !!

[/QUOTE]

You would've said the same thing if I wrote Bruins in 4 vs the Pens last year.  Bruins in 4!

[/QUOTE]

Yep you are right I probably would have wrote the same thing. Lol  No disrespect intended but as I do hope your prediction is correct, you just can't take anything for granted.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tell me why.  Tell me what a post I put on the local newspaper message board will do to the series.  Let me know if my thoughts here are so powerful that they can change the outcome of a series. 

Oh no, the Wings won a few during the season.  Does a game from six months ago have anything to do with a game next week? 

Bruins in 4

[/QUOTE]

Your memory must be shorter than I thought seeing that these " jokers  " as you call them just beat the Bruins 11 short days ago. As I recall, you made the same prediction that the B's would sweep the Leafs last year, how did that work out for you ?  All Im saying is no team should be taken for granted in the playoffs. This isn't your Florida Panthers the Bruins are playing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

I am going with Bruins in 6. I think the Bruins will grind down the Red Wings and take away their speed.

Can't wait for the start of the playoffs. Playoff hockey is hands down the most exciting game to watch. Each team is allowed 1 time out and penalties are called less frequent. I remember watching back in the 70' and 80's, faceoffs were called more often with pucks being trapped along the boards between players. Now there is almost never a stoppage.

Go Bruins!!!!!!!!!!!! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Bruins in 6.  Howard has looked very shaky this year.  Too shaky for the Bruins.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Your memory must be shorter than I thought seeing that these " jokers  " as you call them just beat the Bruins 11 short days ago. As I recall, you made the same prediction that the B's would sweep the Leafs last year, how did that work out for you ?  All Im saying is no team should be taken for granted in the playoffs. This isn't your Florida Panthers the Bruins are playing.

[/QUOTE]

Dude.  I'm not actually playing in the games.  It's okay.

And, in case you haven't noticed, I predict the B's in Four every year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to paesan59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am going with Bruins in 6. I think the Bruins will grind down the Red Wings and take away their speed.

Can't wait for the start of the playoffs. Playoff hockey is hands down the most exciting game to watch. Each team is allowed 1 time out and penalties are called less frequent. I remember watching back in the 70' and 80's, faceoffs were called more often with pucks being trapped along the boards between players. Now there is almost never a stoppage.

Go Bruins!!!!!!!!!!!! 

[/QUOTE]

No argumant there.  Hockey playoffs are the best on the planet.  Nothing beats them.  I'm pretty much engaged with the team sports - football, baseball, basketball, int'l soccer.  And, although hockey is my favorite, I can say without bias: nothing beats the NHL playoffs.  If only the rest of the U.S., at least, could experience and love what we know to be such a thrill ride.  

Go Bs!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dude.  I'm not actually playing in the games.  It's okay.

And, in case you haven't noticed, I predict the B's in Four every year.

[/QUOTE]

I think some people are missing the tongue-in-cheek nature of these posts...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Season series means nothing against them . Bruins in 5

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbaron1966. Show redbaron1966's posts

This matchup is akin to having Montreal in the first round.  Jimmy Howard has been hot and cold, but he's no Tuuka.  What troubles me the most is their speed.  I would look for them to spread the speed around, with focus on the Fourth Line, with the young D's that the Bruins have to hopefully cough up the puck and get a quick Red Wings goal.  Another thing is the loss of Dan Paille to the Bruins whose presence on the Penalty Kill is a big help. 

So if I had to make a prediction it would be B's in 6 games, however if it looks like the loss of Paille turns critical, and our young D guy with no playoff experience cough up the puck too many times...this becomes a 7 game series for sure, and I don't want to predict that...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"our young D guy with no playoff experience cough up the puck too many times"

All the way to the best record in the NHL. 2nd best goals against in the NHL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

This is the opponent I wanted the least. That said, if you are destined to be champion, you should fear no one. Should be exciting. 

Sections
Shortcuts