Boston's Neilson Numbers for the stanley cup Finals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

Boston's Neilson Numbers for the stanley cup Finals

The Cult of Hockey is an Oilers blog. Simply put, David Staples & Bruce McCurdy blow anything any hack from Boston does out of the water. They are the ones that write endlessly about new hockey metrics, how they've changed NHL scouting and player evaluation, and they have the courage of their convictions to provide tons of content related to those important metrics. Anyways, it's unfortunate, because they cover the Oilers, but I stumbled across this today on their blog. Maybe a few of you are interested

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Boston's Neilson Numbers for the stanley cup Finals

Yeesh.  Sabermetrics for hockey.

x+x=y and z PIM

Those are the stats I care about.

Stats tell you what happened, not what will.  Billy Beane didn't win the World Series with his advanced techniques.  I'm sorry, OC, but I view this stuff as people trying to make something, not discover something.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

In Response to Re: Boston's Neilson Numbers for the stanley cup Finals:
    [QUOTE]Yeesh.  Sabermetrics for hockey. x+x=y and z PIM Those are the stats I care about. Stats tell you what happened, not what will.  Billy Beane didn't win the World Series with his advanced techniques.  I'm sorry, OC, but I view this stuff as people trying to make something, not discover something.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

well, NHL scouting departments and GMs agree with me, but of course take it for what it's worth to you. I'm just suggesting that it requires further investigation for you skeptics out there (especially now that we have basically nothing to talk about)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Boston's Neilson Numbers for the stanley cup Finals:[QUOTE]Billy Beane didn't win the World Series with his advanced techniques.  Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Those metrics are a great place to start. Had Billy been given the green light to up his payroll just a bit I believe he would have some rings. Oakland's ownership make Buddy Leroux and Haywood Sullivan look like spendthrifts. Put Beane in even a mid market team like Texas that would let him increase just enough to pick up some talent at the deadline and he would be more successful WS victories included. I firmly believe that Beane wouldn't have to spend as much as Theo in a big market.

I agree that you can't just rely on those metrics all the way through recruiting or drafting up through developing but not a bad tool for part of the time for some reasonable measurement. Some will say a good ol stop watch with years of scouting is all you need but I believe some advanced methods should be used.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think looking at the numbers it reflects a little bit what you see on the ice.  Krejci and Marchand with a high ratio for being involved in offensive plays and not a lot of bad ones - I would agree with that.  But I got that watching.  I wouldn't say it is 'better' since it favors forwards.  It misses out on the impact a guy like Chara can have without touching the puck.  To some it might be interesting, but I don't find it helps me understand, enjoy or evaluate hockey any better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"To some it might be interesting, but I don't find it helps me understand, enjoy or evaluate hockey any better"

Correct but I would use it a bit for some scouting just not rely on it totally.