Boudreau Fired

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Re: Boudreau Fired

I have a feeling Brucie has coached his last game in the NHL. Who would hire him?

Back to the minors. Or he may want to try College hockey -  it could be a good fit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Yikes... last night I made the throwaway comment on a post that Washington needed to make a change behind the bench. Get up this morning and, "poof."

Sorry Bruce.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think this was way overdue.  Waaaay overdue.

Yah, you guys that said you can't fire all the players, you're right, but the fact is in pro sports they are all big baby millionares and as a coach your job is how to figure out how to get the most out of them that you can in addition to the x and ohs.

You might not say it's part of their job, but I disagree, it is.

With the right approach you can motivate 99.9% of the people out there, the trick is finding the right approach.

You might call some players coach killers, but fact is they are elite athletes and they didn't get to be that way without a fair amount of love for winning.

Again, the trick is to get it out of them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Where's the "Love to have him(ovie) on our team" crowd??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Boudreau Fired:
    [QUOTE]Wow.....not surprised by the firing, but getting Dale Hunter to leave the London Knights (I think he's part owner along with his brother) is a surprise for me. Good move, though.   I'm originally from the London Ontario area, and Dale Hunter is a great coach, especially with young talent. Whether that translates into NHL hockey is the question, but I think he'll do a great job.  Should see more grit coming Washington way, if he gets any say. Chowda, what do you think of Dale coming out othe OHL ranks to coach in the NHL?  He did wonders in London
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

LRH, I was listening to the fan today and they said the Caps were the only team Hunter wanted to coach in the NHL . Apparently he had other offers . After ten years of coaching in the OHL Kypreos and MacLean both say that he's more then ready.

Also they both pointed something out very interesting. Hunter has a contract that only lasts this year and will be evaluated at the end of the year. This might be part of Hunter's doing because of the fact that he might not like the switch to the NHL and would be able to go back coaching the Knight's if he wanted to.

He has been successful in London coaching teenagers. Now let's see if he can get the prima donna's in Washington playing for him.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

" Now let's see if he can get the prima donna's in Washington playing for him."

I think the question is, can he implement a lasting structure here or will they just get an emotional (read unsustainable) spike from Hunter? In the short term (to draw a football analogy, I know, sacrelige) the Rex Ryan method works, but in the long term you want a stable system of accountability in place (a'la Belichick). I always think its tough for a first time coach to handle Prima Donnas, but they won't mess with Dale, thats for sure.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boudreau Fired : LRH, I was listening to the fan today and they said the Caps were the only team Hunter wanted to coach in the NHL . Apparently he had other offers . After ten years of coaching in the OHL Kypreos and MacLean both say that he's more then ready. Also they both pointed something out very interesting. Hunter has a contract that only lasts this year and will be evaluated at the end of the year. This might be part of Hunter's doing because of the fact that he might not like the switch to the NHL and would be able to go back coaching the Knight's if he wanted to. He has been successful in London coaching teenagers. Now let's see if he can get the prima donna's in Washington playing for him.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Chowda - I think we can also see the team's historical connection to Hunter.  I'd imagine he's still beloved by Cap faithfull.  I'd read recently that it appeared Boudreau was no longer able to motivate the likes of Semin and Ovechkin.  Seeing how the captain the $100 million man, shouldn't Ovechkin, at least in part, be the one to motivate Ovechkin?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Living in the DC area I've seen quite a few Caps gm's this yr. They absolutely quit on their coach. It's like watching a pickup game, no structure to there game at all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boudreau Fired : Chowda - I think we can also see the team's historical connection to Hunter.  I'd imagine he's still beloved by Cap faithfull.  I'd read recently that it appeared Boudreau was no longer able to motivate the likes of Semin and Ovechkin.  Seeing how the captain the $100 million man, shouldn't Ovechkin, at least in part, be the one to motivate Ovechkin?
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

Not very often that a player gets a chance to coach in a rink that has his name and number hanging in the rafters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

we're gonna need some new mercedes benz commericals down here. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4oLJOMbeYU

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Boudreau Fired:[QUOTE]LA's coach is next.  Watch and see
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

It's going to be a tough one for Lombardi as Terry Murray is well liked and respected in the dressing room. In the end though the Kings should be better than 5-4-1 in their last 10 with that talent and he has had the team for 3 years now tic toc.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Caps are right back to where they were under Glen Hanlon.  So...who's fault is that?  A lot of the same core pieces as the year Boudreau took over a 6-14-1 team: Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, Semin, Laich.  Boudreau came in and let them run and gun.  He was like divorce dad swooping in for the summer and taking the kids to Hawaii.  Three years of watching the kids fail math and suddenly divorce dad has to get tough and send them to summer school - and oh, gee, I guess he's not the best dad in the world.  He did let the inmates run the asylum, but what got him fired was then criticising the inmates for spending the entire asylum budget on natcho cheese.

Less cryptically?  He tried to change from a guy who let them run to a guy who demanded more accountability.  Turns out, they didn't love him, they loved not being accountable.

The other way of looking at this is that they aren't quitters - they just aren't very good.  At least, they aren't good enough or smart enough to play the way Boudreau has asked and still put up good scoring numbers.  Maybe they just can't figure it out so they look like they've quit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boudreau Fired : Not very often that a player gets a chance to coach in a rink that has his name and number hanging in the rafters.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

red - True enough.  It's rare.  Toe Blake, maybe?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I have a feeling Brucie has coached his last game in the NHL. Who would hire him? Back to the minors. Or he may want to try College hockey -  it could be a good fit.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Did you take a gander at his win/loss record.  I wouldnt be shocked if he is hired before the end of the year.  His win loss record is nuts.  And just like a player trading teams is sometimes good I am thinking some team has to give him a shot.  Players coach.  Winning record that is off the charts.  Very soft talented team.  That never had a goalie.  He will rise again.  I hope he does. he is fun to watch in post game press conferences.   "CAN YOU HEAR US".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boudreau Fired : It's going to be a tough one for Lombardi as Terry Murray is well liked and respected in the dressing room. In the end though the Kings should be better than 5-4-1 in their last 10 with that talent and he has had the team for 3 years now tic toc.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Something isnt clicking there.  Thats a talented squad and I think Murray is a good coach.  BUT with Maurice and Bruce available I bet there are more coaches canned in the coming weeks.  I think Maurice is hired very soon.  He is a very good coach.  And Bruce with that record will get a chance as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

RHO,
    Blake's number was never retired by the Habs. Schmidt and O'Reilly didn't have their numbers retired until after they coached in Boston.

The only two I can think of (besides Gretzky who only gets considered because his number was retired league-wide) are Denis Savard and Bill Barber. 

Edit: Dit Clapper too - his number was retired while he was coach.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]RHO, Blake's number was never retired by the Habs. Schmidt and O'Reilly didn't have their numbers retired until after they coached in Boston. The only two I can think of (besides Gretzky who only gets considered because his number was retired league-wide) are Denis Savard and Bill Barber.  Edit: Dit Clapper too - his number was retired while he was coach.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

red - I forgot Barber coached the Flyers in '01.  Cheers!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boudreau Fired : Something isnt clicking there.  Thats a talented squad and I think Murray is a good coach.  BUT with Maurice and Bruce available I bet there are more coaches canned in the coming weeks.  I think Maurice is hired very soon.  He is a very good coach.  And Bruce with that record will get a chance as well.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

shupe - I can't remember the last time a coach got the hook at this point in the season after starting the year 7-0. 

Sections
Shortcuts