Boumeester to StL

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Re: Boumeester to StL

fleeced again, eh Mr. Feaster!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

You guys are a riot.  It's a 26 year old goalie in the Swiss league, a 5'9, 23 year old defenseman with a concussion on his resume and a first round pick that will probably be in the 20s.

In return, the Blues get Jay Bouwmeester.

Seems like a decent deal for the Blues. 

Bouwmeester was playing just fine in Florida.  His career took a shot of quicksand when he went to the Saddledome. 

I just don't want him on the team. He doesn't play with any heart. Never played ONE playoff game. A guy with that Cap hit better be the next coming of Orr. Thing with Bou, is I never notice him on the ice. 

No thanks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

A solid addition by the Blues as that guy can skate.  Looks like Calgary fans are going to barely recognize their team next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to stinkman's comment:

Why do you say that?  A dozen teams bidding on Boumeester  -- were 11 of them "sitting back"?

I see one team over-paying, and 11 teams not willing to over-over-pay.

He meant BB the coach of Pats picking up released guys and injury prone guys then tells us what great moves they are. 

Well done.

How is that "well done"?  Chiarelli just lost his leverage by botching the Iginla trade. 

BB doesn't lose leverage. No GM is perfect, but just what is left out there for Chia at this point?

St Louis won't be dealt, Chia announces his goalie prospect is off the table (dumb comment) and then botches the Iginla trade.

King, go have another burger.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

A solid addition by the Blues as that guy can skate.  Looks like Calgary fans are going to barely recognize their team next year.

Probably a good thing. this was long overdue....like 5 years overdue.

Blues, for their part, get a premiere D man for penauts.

Everyone makes out well....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

fleeced again, eh Mr. Feaster!!

Yep

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

I just don't want him on the team. He doesn't play with any heart. Never played ONE playoff game. A guy with that Cap hit better be the next coming of Orr. Thing with Bou, is I never notice him on the ice. 

No thanks.

It's tough to hold his playoff record against him.  He was traded from one miserable team to another. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This is the equivalent of the Bruins trading Volden and Warsofvsky for Bouwmeester.  Crazy.  Would have been very disruptive next year, but if you're going for it this year, yeah...got to pay to play at that price.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Calgary traded Leopold and a third rounder for him originally.

Buying Bouwmeester is like buying a TV on Craigslist.  It's a good product, it doesn't cost a lot and you won't get a lot for it when you sell it later.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

If this guy does not get quality additions in here before the deadline, this team won't be competing for a Cup. Simple.

I am not saying "I want Boumeester and his freelancing style", I want Chia to do something. He's already lost leverage and the closer it gets, the worse position he will find himself in.

The apologists here a joke.

I'm not sure if they'll be competing for the cup anyway, especially if Crosby comes back.

You don't know what PC is doing or not doing, negotiations aren't made public.

How could you expect a deal with Calgary?  Those waters are poisoned and how can you blame PC for it?  PC didn't make it public - everyone else did and was basically forced into making a public statement about it and didn't hang Feaster out to dry.

Apologist?  I think DonB is being a realist.

Yah, St.L got Bou and they will disrupt their team for next year, and ya, it was a deal, but how much better is St. L odds for a cup now?

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Your first sentence is a quitters/worst case attitude. I am not buying this Pitt in a runaway in the east crap.

I said this 3 weeks ago when someone had a thread up on here with Pitt being the best team by far and it's just ridiculous.

This club needs health, Kelly to return, which may not happen, but they also need 1-2 moves which they can handle. What was the point of Chia dumping Thomas's deal onto the Islanders?

Make the moves!  The overly sensitive fans were all over me here 2 years ago at this same time, Chia then made the moves, and they won it all.

That probably won't happen again, but give it a shot and stop being so conservative.  If it's a situation where Chia is playing coy to gain leverage, great, but the Iginla botch job does compromise that strategy a bit.

Yes, one good addition front and back would make them much more competitive, but at what cost?  How much future are you willing to mortgage when clearly the path to success in this league is young players and cap sensibility.

TT to the Islanders was brilliant, it was a salary dump because there was no way he was going to return to the Bruins and his salary was on their books for this year.  The isles took TT and his cap hit - and - the Bruins get a pick if he ever does suit up for them or is traded by them.  No one thought they could have dumped him for ANYTHING, never mind a halfway decent draft choice.  A LOT of the rest of the league cried foul and wanted that trade to be reversed claiming it was pure salary cap manipulation.  Which it was.  But within the rules.

Understand that giving up assets now for the short term mortgages the future.  PC has said it's a balancing act, you want the best team you can get NOW, but you also have to have the best team you can have LATER, too.

This team has been very competitive under his management, in the playoffs each year and one cup.  They have done very well trading.  And don't forget they were one of the hottest teams in the league to start the season.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I believe St. Louis got a great deal, if these are the low end prospects they appear to be.  Trading a first rounder is a lot scarier in the offseason then when you sit on the brink of the playoffs, we are not going to lose a lottery guy.

I am not sure if this was the right guy for us, but I would pay a first round pick for a top six forward or top three D-man.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to RickyHussle's comment:

I believe St. Louis got a great deal, if these are the low end prospects they appear to be.  Trading a first rounder is a lot scarier in the offseason then when you sit on the brink of the playoffs, we are not going to lose a lottery guy.

I am not sure if this was the right guy for us, but I would pay a first round pick for a top six forward or top three D-man.

You may be right about this but it is not exactly easy to unload an underperforming Dman making almost $6.7 million with another year left on the books, epsecially with the cap contraction next season.

Both sides accomplished what they wanted to with this one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

You may be right about this but it is not exactly easy to unload an underperforming Dman making almost $6.7 million with another year left on the books, epsecially with the cap contraction next season.

I am not so sure.  the short term makes it easy to swallow the slight overpayment.  I mean what would he get on the open market 4 yrs, 5.5 per.  I think you get at least a second round pick in the offseason for this guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to RickyHussle's comment:

I am not so sure.  the short term makes it easy to swallow the slight overpayment.  I mean what would he get on the open market 4 yrs, 5.5 per.  I think you get at least a second round pick in the offseason for this guy.

You may be right. The Blues can easily absorb his contract as can CGY thanks to dumping Iginla so it may not be a factor here.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

You guys are a riot.  It's a 26 year old goalie in the Swiss league, a 5'9, 23 year old defenseman with a concussion on his resume and a first round pick that will probably be in the 20s.

In return, the Blues get Jay Bouwmeester.

Seems like a decent deal for the Blues. 

Bouwmeester was playing just fine in Florida.  His career took a shot of quicksand when he went to the Saddledome. 

AGREED!! Anyone who knocks this guy doesn't know talent! Overpaid? Probably, but he won't be the go to guy in St. Louis. Watch him shine!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

All of a sudden I do not think the Blues will make the playoffs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

RwtKing, you keep saying that the Iginla situation cost PC "leverage" (and that he "botched it"), and that commenting that Subban is off the table is some great mistake.  What leverage?  Are you referring simply to the fact that other teams now know Chiarelli tried to add a top winger, and because it fell through, they can now use this knowledge to negotiate better terms for their players?  Or that they know what he was willing to pay for Iginla, so they can start there when setting terms?

I'm betting most teams with players on the market knew what Chiarelli was doing, and it was a pretty open secret that Boston was "in" on Iginla, especially after the list fiasco.  How it played out doesn't make Chiarelli look bad or vulnerable; it makes Fleeceder look bad.  I would also suggest that there's no big drama around everyone knowing what the Bruins would have paid for Iginla.  Trades happen between sellers who are motivated to sell and buyers who are motivated to buy.  The deadline is the only leverage that matters when you have an impending UFA, and if a team wants to get out from under a big contract with years remaining, like Bouwmeester's, they have their own motivation.  Then it's all down to negotiating terms, and, in the end, any good GM is going to take the best deal for his team.  No motivated seller is going to let the deadline pass because they think they can squeeze more out of PC due to the Iginla fiasco.

As for the Subban thing, have you seen any of the deals being made yet that have included a genuinely top-notch prospect?  Joe Morrow for Morrow is the best non-NHL player to move so far, and Khokhlachev would have been the best forward.  We'll see if that changes, but with the cap declining and blah blah blah prospects are important, and I think what Chiarelli said is being echoed all around the league.  Why would he give up a key prospect if no one else has to to get deals done?  That would be dumb; it would be overpaying for no reason.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

AGREED!! Anyone who knocks this guy doesn't know talent! Overpaid? Probably, but he won't be the go to guy in St. Louis. Watch him shine!

The funny thing is, nite, many people think most of the upper tier players are overpaid.  Who's not overpaid?  Crosby and Chara.

If Bouwmeester is compared to Brian Campbell or Phaneuf, he's not overpaid.  The Habs are paying Markov $5.75M.  Is there anyone who wouldn't want their team to pony up the extra $800K to get Bouwmeester instead?   Matt Carle $5.5M, Mike Green $6.1M, Wiz $5.5M

Looking at those guys, I say $6.6M for Bouwmeester is a fine deal.

Sections
Shortcuts