Boychuck 3 yr 3.36 per

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Re: Boychuck 3 yr 3.36 per

In Response to Re: Boychuck 3 yr 3.36 per:
    Cap space next year - $8.96 - $12.96 if you include Savard Forwards Chris Kelly - makes $2.125 3 yr - $3.5 million per Campbell - makes $1.1 2 yr - $2 million per Pouliot - makes $1.1 2 yr - $1.75 million per Paille - makes $1.075 1 yr - $1.75 million per Thornton - makes $0.8125 1 yr - $0.8125 Defense Dougie comes in and replaces Corvo EL deal - $1.525 million per Goalie Rask - makes $1.25 1-2 years - $3 million per I think these are all reasonable assumptions for salary (think Kelly and Rask could be higher, but these contracts are within reason). Total them all together and you have $14.3375 vs cap room of $12.96 and that is for 14 forwards. Cut out one of the Paille, Campbell, Pouliot crowd and you're right at the cap. I think it is very possible that the Bs can keep everyone under the current cap, the main question is whether the team chooses to keep Kelly. Given how important he is to the team and the fact Chia hasn't signed him yet, my bet is that he's gone if he wants more than Peverley ($3.25). It's not a huge problem and Rask isn't going anywhere.
    Posted by nrguy

I don't see Kelly getting that kind of money. I think more realistically 3 even. Peverley is the reason he has his points totals and he has been borderline for a few months now.

I also don't see Pouliot getting a 2 year deal for that kind of money.

I also don't think that Campbell will get that kind of pay increase. He is one of those guys I would expect to take a hometown discount.

Paille might get a bit of a raise. But honestly those last 3 guys have no basis for arguing a pay increase. Their stats and productivity aren't on par for more money. Especially Pouliot.

I think its very managable to get under the cap with who we have to sign.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Boychuck 3 yr 3.36 per : Does anyone know exactly how that would work?  Cuz it's very possible.  Posted by stevegm

I think he will not Steve but just in case (no guarantee) is were I think PC needs to be cautious. The cap could flatten again like 2009 and 2010 or come out of the new CBA negotiations lower is also a possibility so PC should be prepared.

If Savard comes back no LTIR relief.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Boychuck 3 yr 3.36 per : Does anyone know exactly how that would work?  Cuz it's very possible.   I'd be surprised that at his age, being out of the game for over a year, whether he can  get it back, no matter how he feels.  I'm wondering if he did want to return, after the phsyicals were passed, the B's wouldn't argue that the injury, has taken away his ability to compete as a player at the NHL level. There must be some safety net there for both parties isn't there? Thoughts?
    Posted by stevegm

That's a very good question and I don't know the answer.  It's doubtful, but something to think about.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Boychuck 3 yr 3.36 per : Are you kidding, Chippy Campbell is the B's "Ticket". Who do you think kept Chara, Lucic, Marchand, Boychuck, Ference et al from getting suspended last season and through their infamous playoffs.  Why do you think most of the refs bend over frontwards to help the B's win games then, and now? (heres a clue-who signs their paycheque) Wannabe Grand Wizard Timmy wasn't the Cup MVP....Chippy was. The B's should sign him for 15 years @ $10 mil per, or at least until his daddy, Quirky Campbell retires. 
    Posted by null

He did retire and to exclude himself from any conflict of interest Campbell did not rule on any infractions for teams that his son played for. He even officially resigned from the position of disciplinarian before the start of last years cup finals.

Your pathetic, your tinfoil hat arguements are even more pathetic. Go die.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Boychuck 3 yr 3.36 per : I think he will not Steve but just in case (no guarantee) is were I think PC needs to be cautious. The cap could flatten again like 2009 and 2010 or come out of the new CBA negotiations lower is also a possibility so PC should be prepared. If Savard comes back no LTIR relief.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I really doubt Savard comes back. It's horrible. He looks like he's put on alot of weight and afaik he cant even golf yet.

Even if he were to come back he would still have to make the team and after a 2 year layoff without even really working out that seems like a 1 in 100000000000000000000 chance considering this teams center depth right now.

I doubt this would happen but if Savy could return to 100% I would be so happy. Imagine this team with a 100% savard. Freakin unreal it would be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I am so happy. Yes I am about to get a lot of garbage for saying I am so happy. I like Boychuk. He deserves to be here. I was very glad to see and it is well deserved. Take a look at his plus minus. Now you can throw me under the bus. I have defended him all year. Check my record on this one. Never waivered big Boy supporter. Let the onslaught of negativity begin. I really hope Kelly gets signed he is my other MUST have. But for today I am smiling and happy. Except for Corvo I would take this defensive core over any in the league in its totality. Now go get some boys. We still need a depth defender and a forward but Chia has shown it will not be a big splash player with this signing. Unusual timing would you not agree with that though?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Boychuck 3 yr 3.36 per : I doubt this would happen but if Savy could return to 100% I would be so happy. Imagine this team with a 100% savard. Freakin unreal it would be.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

I doubt it as well but there is no guarantee he won't and I just want PC to be careful with contracts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Johnny boy is something like a +23 right now and deserves his new contract. I see him getting even more points in the coming years !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Alert: I am not a Boychuk supporter, he plays a good game, tough and makes some shots on net that make the netminder aware of rebounds.  That said he is a bone head on outlet passes, and if not being paired with Chara he would be plain a 2.5 million defenseman or thereabouts.  So spare me the love fest support. Trade bait next year is all I can say.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Alert: I am not a Boychuk supporter, he plays a good game, tough and makes some shots on net that make the netminder aware of rebounds.  That said he is a bone head on outlet passes, and if not being paired with Chara he would be plain a 2.5 million defenseman or thereabouts.  So spare me the love fest support. Trade bait next year is all I can say.  
    Posted by islamorada

I see your point, but being paired with Chara has one downfall as well. Everyone is coming to your side, I definetly think his game has improved a great deal since he came here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Call it lovefest or what every you want. Call it bone head moves. Call it Chara. Call it three more years. And when he lays another player out in a critical time and he finishes the season plus 25 we will all be glad he is here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Macfact are you saying plus/minus is the way to judge players?  If you are then you have lost validity on individual play.  My point was that he is not a player worth the money.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The good: strong neutral ice play, great hitting, nice skating ability, smarts when to pinch/not pinch, never hear any drama, good shot

The bad: loses a fair share of puck battles, sometimes a step behind catching the open man in front of the net, doesn't always make a clean first pass out of the D zone.

In all, the same type of thing most defencemen struggle with. At his age, experience and skill set, his new paycheck is about average. No hometown discount, but not a bad deal either. I'll take the devil we know, as opposed to thinking some other guy at that price is an upgrade and then they turn out to be a bust. With Johnny, you know what you get.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Islam...you know first of all you probably know way more about hockey than I do. I won't argue that point. But you have seen enough of my posts that I do not judge a player on plus minus. I use my gut and what I watch game in and game out and asmaha just described so elequently that there is a lot of upside here with Boychuk and my point is simply that a plus minus 23 to 25 does speak volumes. He does not have a plus minus 10 or 15 where you can kind of sweep the stat under the rug because he is in the right place at the right time or with Chara. It is high enough that he has had to earn it on his own merit. That I think you would not disagree. He has a hard shot, hard hits, and is not a liablity. I love what I see in him and MacQ. I think the bring the grit on the D line and every team needs that in their core defense. I have said it before I love this core in its totality EXCEPT for Corvo. CJ likes a transfer guy and stay at home guy in his match ups. I.E. Ferrence and McQ where McQ is the stay at home guy and Sids and Corvo where Corvo is the transfer guy when he can lol. And Boy is the stay at home guy with Chara and he plays big minutes when needed successful. The plus minus shows for his mistakes he makes as many good decisions and I love that. Is that better. Like I said I expected a lot push back but when the team was done he moves his feet and competes every night. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I always think these contracts are a little too...and been wrong nearly every time.  Thomas, Ference, Lucic, Bergeron, etc.   PC has shown a good feel for these contracts and the market. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Macfact, as far as BDC posting stats they are just like plus minus stats, overblown.  So you are absolutely right on one of those points, ha.  As for the pairings check with left and right shots with OatesCam, he has a solid understanding of the defense pairings.  As for where Boychuk fits in the defensive scheme, well, I will stick with my view, Chara makes him a better player.  Last year's playoff as a focus, who did Chara play with? That said, Boychuk is overpaid is all I am saying.  

I can tell you this, most of the experienced posters on this site do not support their arguments with plus minus.  BTW you are a good poster and I enjoy reading your point of view.  Cheers  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Crowls the mentioning of Ference is a good sampling, is Boychuk a better player than Ference?  In my view, no.  So PC is great at handling contracts, so I will go with your view begrudgingly!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Crowls the mentioning of Ference is a good sampling, is Boychuk a better player than Ference?  In my view, no.  So PC is great at handling contracts, so I will go with your view begrudgingly!
    Posted by islamorada

isla- I was so peeved at the Ference contract, boy was I wrong on that one!  My initial reaction on JB is a little too high, but within tolerance.  JB is 3rd on the team in TOI, 2 minutes higher than AF.  I like them both.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Islamorada we can agree that we both appreciate each other posts. You are very well respected and make valid points. Mad respect for sure. I would say that I would agree with the fact that plus minus can be overblown but sometimes it reaches a point like I said that when it is over 20 that there is some validity to that number and not a reliance on other players. You right in the Playoffs it was Sids and Boy. Do I think Boy is our best. No. Do I think he hit pay dirt and got paid handsomly yes. Do I think he deserves quite that much. Well I won't argue that but I rely on PC wisdom to know what it would take and that he is not over paid. I happen to like blue collar guys. It is just my way. There is no disagreement that he is a better player with Chara but he still has to do the work. Anyway I think we are about 75 percent on the same page. Cheers. Drink a Guiness on me. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Macfact, Magic Hat Howl (black lager) was the drink tonight, ha.  Cheers.  The Bs team is not looking good tonight, but again how many teams who finish first in the conference actually get eliminated in the first round.  Rangers look good nonetheless.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Love me some Magic Hat...The Rangers look dangerous. Something we need to prepare for in the conference finals for sure. Well drown your sorrows in a Hat and blame it on me tommorow with your boss. Macfat told me to drink it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Boychuck 3 yr 3.36 per : isla- I was so peeved at the Ference contract, boy was I wrong on that one!  My initial reaction on JB is a little too high, but within tolerance.  JB is 3rd on the team in TOI, 2 minutes higher than AF.  I like them both.
    Posted by Crowls2424

Ference needs to improve his game. He hasnt done much in a long time. I like Boychuk alot more than I do Ference right now. Ference is good in his own zone, makes okay outlet passes but he is a disaster in the offensive zone. Takes way too long to get his shot off and when he does, he struggles to put it on net. He needs to step his game up, the "goal and finger to the Hab crowd" free passes are running out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I like the signing. But, I still dont see when they get down to signing everyone, how this team can afford to pay 2 goalies like #1's.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I always think these contracts are a little too...and been wrong nearly every time.  Thomas, Ference, Lucic, Bergeron, etc.   PC has shown a good feel for these contracts and the market. 
    Posted by Crowls2424

Good post !

My thoughts also. The first thing that popped up in my head were the comments of when the contracts were given out. Too much ! A year or two later people are commending PC for having the foresight of signing these players to these deals and what a bargain they were now. Seidenburg is another.

As far as Boychuk's play. He plays hard, is physical and is as steady as any other blueliner the B's have. Anyone looking for a mistake-free defenceman is living in dreamland.

Sections
Shortcuts