Boychuk's salary

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigNickster. Show BigNickster's posts

Boychuk's salary

Is $3,250,000.00 for the next three years too much and how much over is it

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Boychuk's salary

It's fine.  Teams can't spend all of their time chasing the perfect salary for a player.  Boychuk is a known entity.  He's fully in the system and is successful.

The last thing they want is another Kaberle or Corvo (Korvo?).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

In Response to Re: Boychuk's salary:
    [QUOTE]It's fine.  Teams can't spend all of their time chasing the perfect salary for a player.  Boychuk is a known entity.  He's fully in the system and is successful. The last thing they want is another Kaberle or Corvo (Korvo?).
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

"the last thing they want is another Kaberle or Corvo"....Thank you !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

i think he is overpaid, and over rated. however there is a reason i'm not the GM, so i could be wrong about this. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

He's only going to get better, too. Happens with any defenceman worth his salt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

[QUOTE]He's only going to get better, too. Happens with any defenceman worth his salt.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

I may agree with you, but I'd like to know why you say that

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I think the ideal contract for him might be a half million lower then it is.  At the time he looked like an up and comer who was finding the timing on big shots and big hits.  It turns out that he has remained a bit inconsistent in those areas, better this year then last, but still inconsistent. 

So, in this instance, I agree with NAS, it is not a perfect contract, but it is certainly not one to shake your fist at.  On a side note, is anyone still complaining about that 'awful' Ference signing, "the 2 million dollar injury prone defenseman?"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boychuk's salary : I may agree with you, but I'd like to know why you say that
    Posted by patriotpat99[/QUOTE]
    Mainly because D-men typically take longer to fully develop as players. Add in the fact Boychuk only became a full time D-man 5 years ago. The Avalanche were still using him as a forward half of the time. His best years should still lie ahead of him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boychuk's salary : Mainly because D-men typically take longer to fully develop as players. Add in the fact Boychuk only became a full time D-man 5 years ago. The Avalanche were still using him as a forward half of the time. His best years should still lie ahead of him.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I think you may be right there. Still, for the amount of defensive mistakes he makes in terms of positioning (again, possibly a symptom of his late introduction to the position) I would like to see him put up more than 15 points per season. He has to work on his game, I think he is getting paid for potential, not product, but if he fulfills that potential, this is a good deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Posters on here moaned when Thomas then Lucic then Ference then Siedenberg then Peverley were extended. Once again I think PC got it right as he has learned from his Schaefer, Sturm and Wideman mistakes earlier on. Boychuk, as allot of other young defensman do, makes mistakes. I believe like Seidenberg, Johnny will get better under the Julien system.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Even if he is as good as he will ever be at the moment (a big, physical, top 4 minute eater who chips in with the odd big goal) he is well worth the money. There are plenty worse contracts out there. I look forward to more "Johnny Rockets" next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Pat, this may help. Look at the players in the same age group and you 'll see that there are some guys who their teams have great deals on, but if you think that Boychuk is in the class of players like Trevor Daley, Jonathan Ericsson, and/or Nick Schultz then you realize he is being payed basically, the going rate.

http://capgeek.com/comparables.php?season=2012&player=239

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Chara makes alot of the defensemen on the Bs look good.  That said someone has to play with Chara, who makes big bucks.  So Boychuck is fine.  If the right trade proposal is made then he is history.  So goes the other defensemen except McQuaid who is a fine 5th defenseman, and Ference who offers good play and great team leadership.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

i don't think boychuk is in that category. sure he eats up minutes, and provides a physical presence, but i view him as a defensive zone liability, and i haven't seen the offensive upside to equalize that yet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

"but i view him as a defensive zone liability"

Watch more hockey. He was a +27 on the year (2nd behind Chara) on one of the best defensive teams on the league...hardly the hallmark of a defensive liability.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Chara Sieds Mcquiad Boys Ference  can not afford to let them go we are still looking for number 6 d man. The possibility of Hamilton being six d man and maybe Zanon or Matteau getting a small contract for fill in position. Krug will be a positive call up from the AHL. Overall our d is what it is at the moment, PC and company are under pressure to make some decisions for the Bruins do not get another early exit next post season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Sometimes he's a bit slow to get rid of the puck on the breakout, but he usually makes a smart play with it or he eats it and wins the battle in the corner. He also sometimes makes poor decisions when pinching. Other than that though, I think he plays a pretty solid game. He rarely gets beat in the corners, has a strong shot, and plays pretty well positionally in his own end. His big hits, while just go down on the score card as a hit, have a big emotional impact on the game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

[QUOTE]"but i view him as a defensive zone liability" Watch more hockey. He was a +27 on the year (2nd behind Chara) on one of the best defensive teams on the league...hardly the hallmark of a defensive liability.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

haha. trust me, i know quite a bit about the game. You, however, hit the nail on the head. 2nd behind chara. who he played with the majority of the season....he's plus minus stats mean little, because he was playing with the best shut down d man in the NHL. You want an example? I could find a thousand, but here is one that comes to mind

misses the puck, misses the man, bruins lose

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

As with all of these "is he overpaid" conversations - look at the comparables for what you're getting.  Jan Hejda.  Nick Schultz. Nickolas Grossman.  Not stars.  Serviceable NHL defenseman, which is what Boychuk is.  He looks better some days because he plays with Chara, no question, and yeah, he makes his share of mistakes - and yeah, when he came up after a huge season in the AHL, I thought he might score more.  But he isn't overpaid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I like him, and for what defenseman are getting these days i dont think he's overpaid or overrated. Too me he is a good, meaning above average defenseman and I agree with Dez, I think his best hockey is in front of him.

I dont agree with the sentiment that playing with Chara makes you look better, while it may help some having the best d-man playing along side of you, you also get most of the plays coming your way since most teams will try to avoid Chara.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I like him, and for what defenseman are getting these days i dont think he's overpaid or overrated. Too me he is a good, meaning above average defenseman and I agree with Dez, I think his best hockey is in front of him. I dont agree with the sentiment that playing with Chara makes you look better, while it may help some having the best d-man playing along side of you, you also get most of the plays coming your way since most teams will try to avoid Chara.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

So true Kel and no where was it more evident than the Caps series. Seidenberg definitely got a workout being on Chara's opposite side. Playing with the big man is not the plum assignment some are making it out to be.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I like him, and for what defenseman are getting these days i dont think he's overpaid or overrated. Too me he is a good, meaning above average defenseman and I agree with Dez, I think his best hockey is in front of him. I dont agree with the sentiment that playing with Chara makes you look better, while it may help some having the best d-man playing along side of you, you also get most of the plays coming your way since most teams will try to avoid Chara.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Kel, take it a step further and you realize that because he's paired with Zee, he'll always be up against the oppositions top players. Player matchups are far more important than most fans recognize. A good example is Kelly. He was able to set a career high in goals due largely to favourable in game matchups. He would've been closer to 10 goals than 20 if he had to go against the opponents top 2 lines with regularity.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boychuk's salary : Kel, take it a step further and you realize that because he's paired with Zee, he'll always be up against the oppositions top players. Player matchups are far more important than most fans recognize. A good example is Kelly. He was able to set a career high in goals due largely to favourable in game matchups. He would've been closer to 10 goals than 20 if he had to go against the opponents top 2 lines with regularity.

Which is why some team will give him a good chunk of money, put him in the number 2 center role and expect 20-30 goals from him. Good player but thats not his role, he should give Marty Lapointe a call to see how that feels.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boychuk's salary : Kel, take it a step further and you realize that because he's paired with Zee, he'll always be up against the oppositions top players. Player matchups are far more important than most fans recognize. A good example is Kelly. He was able to set a career high in goals due largely to favourable in game matchups. He would've been closer to 10 goals than 20 if he had to go against the opponents top 2 lines with regularity.

Finally someone says it!!! There seems to be confusion on these boards about the role he had with the B's this year. He was not the shutdown guy, Bergeron was. He played just over 14 minutes a night against fellow bottom 6 players. Yes, he did score 20 which is quite an accomplishment for a career bottom sixer but he was never the shutdown guy in Boston. Thank you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boychuk's salary : Finally someone says it!!! There seems to be confusion on these boards about the role he had with the B's this year. He was not the shutdown guy, Bergeron was. He played just over 14 minutes a night against fellow bottom 6 players. Yes, he did score 20 which is quite an accomplishment for a career bottom sixer but he was never the shutdown guy in Boston. Thank you.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]
    JM, that was always the reason the 3rd lines have been so good in Boston in recent years. That's also a likely reason why both Bergeron and DK had their career years as youngsters when they were playing against weaker matchups. The better they get, the better the checkers are that cover them.