Boycott on All star

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Boycott on All star

I really think this whole All star balloting has gotten out of control. The entire list should be voted on by an independent group. One of the worst teams has three starters. Come on folks. The boycott is on. The only way to make a change. Don't watch it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Boycott on All star

Four starters - one of whom should be a starter. Karlsson deserves it (should have been him and Chara). The forwards should not be there, nor should Phaneuf. However, I can totally get why the Sens fans voted those guys in - they're the ones going to the game and they're the ones buying the tickets, so let them cheer on the hometown heroes.

To me the only real joke there is Phaneuf. I won't be boycotting anything, but I do hope he gets picked last.

I do like that the one player who got voted in purely for merit is Thomas. Even the Sens and Leafs fans couldn't deny him his spot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

With Mad respect Red...I get they are buying the tickets but this is the ALL Star Game...The host does not make you an All star. If they made the squad start them great but if they are voted in just becuase they are the host team that makes no sense. Merit should always be the reason for an all star team. Why not take it from the perspective they should make sure the Canadian All stars with merit driven voting are the players that get voted in. Well we will have to see who else is on the rosters I guess before a full donny brook ensues but for me right now it is not making me want to turn the television to tune into the Ottawa Toronto show...I would rather watch an All Star Game. And we buy tickets too every game we go to. This is the All Star Game not the Ottawa Senators game...Priveledge is hosting the best in the NHL not local heros. Play them in the old timer game before hand or the rising star game. Or have the Heros of Ottawa game just like every other city. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

The all star game is for the fans. Its being held in ottowa so most the fans are going to be from Ottowa.

Only makes sense to give them what they want to see and it happens every year. I really don't think players care about being in the game and even moreso about starting in it. Except for Thomas I know he secretely loves being the starter lol.

The allstar game is about being fun. Ill watch it and have fun lighten up mac.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I never watch the all-star game anyhow, so sign me up for the boycott.

I don't really care, but Macfact is right -- this makes a game that is kind of a joke into an even bigger joke.  

Who cares if Ottawa is hosting?  The idea of the all-star game is to see all of the best players in the league in one game -- not to watch the same guys you watch on your own team for 82 regular season games.  You would think that Ottawa would be sick of watching those guys anyhow.  It's absurd.  Do you want an all star game or do you want to watch your own team, again?

I haven't looked at the rosters, but I am certain there is a very deserving player staying home so that Ottawa fans can watch Milan Michalek play, again, and pretend he's an all-star.

No thanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The text/email voting is stupid.  There was a time when the starters were actual stars, like Gretz and Lemieux.  Now it's always a bunch of guys from the home team. It's a waste.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Add another to the boycott. I posted a few weeks ago about how the Allstar weekend is a big waste of time and that they should just do away with it and stick to the regular season. I cant bring myself to watching it and havent watched it for the past 10 years or so. Its almost as lame and the the probowl for football. The voting is a joke every year and the players that get voted in have been has beens for years, but yet they still make it to an allstar game. I have yet to see who is going, but I wouldnt put it past people to vote in players like Jovanovski and Jagr.........Great players....ONCE, but not allstars anymore...Yet those types of players still manage to squeeze into the roster somehow....Never makes any sense. So Ya.....GO AHEAD and Boycott NHL Allstar weekend. Could really care less....All it really does is put on hold on the B's schedule and they are who I really want to watch anyway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

the whole thing is a joke

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The All-Star game is just a way for the league big wigs to trot around big spenders and introduce them to some of the best players in the world, or in this case average players from the host team.  It's a huge money maker for the league and gives the hosting city a little boost in the economy.

As for the voting, anytime you put something in the hands of stupid fans this is what you get. Happens in every sport. Popularity contest with the home teams fans hitting the text/online votes with more fever.

Personally, I'd like to see this game played outdoors, with the defending champs playing a group of all-stars selected. I'd love to keep the fans out of the selection process but theres no way you can do it. Also, and I'll use an example, If the bruins were to play the All-Stars Ryder,Recchi and Kaberle have the option to dress for them and Corvo,Pouliot cannot. However they can be voted in to play on the all-star team. I think this would be neat. Also, from what i hear, they can set up the ice anywhere, so if it is in Tampa it should not be a problem.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mario11. Show mario11's posts

agree on not watching the game, no D, no hitting.  But will watch the team selection again, watching Kessel be the last guy sitting there last year was priceless.  Then they handed him the keys to a new loser-mobile to make up for it.  Would love to see he and Phaneuf sitting there as the last two losers that no team wants

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Right on target Kel.  The all star in all sports are jokesin the first place. Yet if you want all star legitimacy,  let the players pick the all stars and have them play as you say the Stanley Cup winners.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I can't think of a more boring and meaningless game to watch than the all star game.

Why don't they make this thing really fun?

And play with new rules - NO RULES!

No offsides, no icing, no goaltender interference no nothing.

I would imagine they would be reasonably well behaved since no one wants to get hurt.

OK, that was a bit over the top, but hey, take my point.  Make this thing FUN which it now isn't.

The skills competition is mildly entertaining.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Is it just me, or did the All-Star game used to be fun and the draft used to be boring?

They've completely flip-flopped.  I love watching the draft and I haven't watch the All Star game in ten years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

While the point that the voting is a ridiculous joke is absolutely true, I've never seen a boycott of any kind that anyone ever gave a cr@p about, especially one about an All Star game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Boycott on All star:
    Is it just me, or did the All-Star game used to be fun and the draft used to be boring? They've completely flip-flopped.  I love watching the draft and I haven't watch the All Star game in ten years.
    Posted by Fletcher1

It's you .

The draft's always been great while the only thing missing from past all-star games were defense, hitting, coming back to backcheck and kickers to kick the extra points.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Personally, I'd like to see this game played outdoors, with the defending champs playing a group of all-stars selected.
    Posted by kelvana33

kel - Well said.  I think the league used to do it this way back in the six team days.  Mind you, it's a lot easier choosing players from five clubs instead of 29.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

While the point that the voting is a ridiculous joke is absolutely true, I've never seen a boycott of any kind that anyone ever gave a cr@p about, especially one about an All Star game.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Yeah, maybe 'boycott' is a strong term, but people not watching and low tv ratings get things changed all the time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Boycott on All star : It's you . The draft's always been great while the only thing missing from past all-star games were defense, hitting, coming back to backcheck and kickers to kick the extra points.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

But I used to watch the all-star game in the 80's and it seemed really cool.

Nobody really followed the draft then, at least, not beyond the first round.  It was never on tv.

Are they not on opposite trajectories in populartity?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Boycott on All star : But I used to watch the all-star game in the 80's and it seemed really cool. Nobody really followed the draft then, at least, not beyond the first round.  It was never on tv. Are they not on opposite trajectories in populartity?
    Posted by Fletcher1

The all-star game has lost its appeal a long time ago to get any lower in a trajectory direction. I agree though that the draft's popularity has taken off mainly due to the internet and being able to get info on these kids and watch how they perform. 

BTW could it be that the draft was cool for you back in the 80's because you were an impressionable youngster back then ?  It is geared more for the wide-eyed kids seeing all the superstars on the ice at the same time despite the game not being played the way the game of hockey should be played.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

I'll be happy to boycott the all-star game. THE most boring thing in any sport are games that the players don't care about, and mean nothing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

I never watch the all-star game anyhow, so sign me up for the boycott. I don't really care, but Macfact is right -- this makes a game that is kind of a joke into an even bigger joke.   Who cares if Ottawa is hosting?  The idea of the all-star game is to see all of the best players in the league in one game -- not to watch the same guys you watch on your own team for 82 regular season games.  You would think that Ottawa would be sick of watching those guys anyhow.  It's absurd.  Do you want an all star game or do you want to watch your own team, again? I haven't looked at the rosters, but I am certain there is a very deserving player staying home so that Ottawa fans can watch Milan Michalek play, again, and pretend he's an all-star. No thanks.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Actually, the skills competition is decent to watch. The game itself, not so much.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No one cares if you don't watch.  No one will notice.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

Agreed that All-Star games are not the "real thing". The Pro Bowl is worse. Too many rules implemented to specifically change the game. And to not have any players from the 2 teams competing for the Super Bowl! I think some players on those teams are All-Stars.

On a better note. Not only will I be watching, I will be attending the game. Played a Hockey Pool contest in Canada and took first place. Flight, Tickets and Accommodations are the Grand Prize. Who knows, may be the last time I watch the NHL All-Star game. Doubt it though

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Lord Byron, as much as I dont care for the whole weekend. I would still go for free. Its still cool to win stuff and it is hockey. Just not my cup of tea at home. Have fun and congrats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

Lord Byron, as much as I dont care for the whole weekend. I would still go for free. Its still cool to win stuff and it is hockey. Just not my cup of tea at home. Have fun and congrats.
    Posted by bgrif008

Thanks bgrif008.

I feel the same, really wnat to go to Skill comp. That should be fun watching Z smoke some pucks. As for the game, I'll be the one shouting out Timmy!!

Sections
Shortcuts