Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted:
    In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : I'd rather be a d-head then a jock sniffer! Just sayin'!
    Posted by MeanE

I have a pretty impressive collection of autographs.  Most are on 8x10 photos with some sticks, cards and jerseys also.  I don't idolize the player as a man, but for the accomplishments he had as a player.  In my living room, I have a 24x36 photo of Brett Hull in a road Blues jersey in the middle of a slap shot.  It's signed "Brett Hull, 86 goals".  It's not there because Hull has dreamy eyes and nice hair.  It's there because that was an incredible slap shot and an incredible player.

There is a difference, MeanE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : I specified adults!  Not kids! , if you are an adult.  In my opinion, Adult autograph seekers for the most part are jock sniffers or scum bag memorabilia sellers.  You wanting to kick me in the grapes will not change my mind.  
    Posted by MeanE

Mean, I can see this subject pushes your buttons and I dont entirely disagree, but I dont think all adult autograph/memorabillia collectors are jock sniffers or scum bags.  I know a group of people like myself that have played and been very interested in the game for many years and find some memorabillia to be interesting.  I rarely wait in line for an autograph, but some stuff is interesting.  I got Orr/Glenn Hall/and Noel Picard auto's on the Orr Goal picture and framed it.  That was cool. Picked up an interesting signed David Ortiz jersey he wore in a game a couple years ago from a buddy running a charity auction. Other stuff like that.

I received a photo of myself in the mail from a guy in Canada who collects old goalie photos (similar to my avatar) and he asked for it to be signed and returned to him.  Gave me a link to his goalie photo collection- every picture signed.  All kinds of obscure nobodies like me.  His interest in his hobby was genuine.

Some things are interesting and look nice on my rec room wall. I dont think that makes me or anyone else a bad person.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Soxfan, I don't think players have a specific obligation, outlined in their deal, but you have obligations.. I have seen countless athletes out, several celeberties and I respect their space and wouldnt approach them, but teams put on events, charity events, players put on events etc, because they all know, and understand there are obligations they owe to the fans..   I dont think a guy earning X owes X amount of good will, but if players were earning far less money, the expectations would be different don't you think?
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Rollr, I dont think we really disagree.  Im not willing to accept a formal responsibility for players to be fan friendly, but we agree they should because its the right thing to do, that its good for our game, AND a little bit because a ton of money sometimes results in a push towards putting out a little bit more effort.  You are right, fans get caught up in the money the players make and the expectations are higher, but to be perfectly honest... I was dazzled when a pro would bother to sign for me as a little kid and I am so impressed by classy players being patient and signing for fans today... regardless of how much they make.

My personal feeling has always been, whether you made $50,000 in 1972 or $5M in 2011, a person who is blessed by God to be allowed to play in the NHL for a living should give back a little without being asked.  That's just me.

I saw Bobby Hull walking towards his son's restaurant in St Louis a few years back. I looked at him and said to my wife, "hey, that's..."  he saw me and I didnt even get to finish my sentence.  He flexed a pose and gave me that million-dollar grin, grabbed a Blues' schedule and signed it, and was handing it to me as I walked over.  Very nice to me and my wife... I was so amazed at what a classy and personable man he was.  He needs to put on a clinic for pro athletes everywhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

The day with the cup is pretty unique. I'm not sure it happens with any other sports. Maybe fans are expecting too much wanting photo ops and autographs. Players can do what they want and there's no real obligation to hold a public event. Maybe if that's what is expected the Hall of Fame/ Keepers of The Cup should start organising things to make sure it goes more smoothly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : I have a pretty impressive collection of autographs.  Most are on 8x10 photos with some sticks, cards and jerseys also.  I don't idolize the player as a man, but for the accomplishments he had as a player.  In my living room, I have a 24x36 photo of Brett Hull in a road Blues jersey in the middle of a slap shot.  It's signed "Brett Hull, 86 goals".  It's not there because Hull has dreamy eyes and nice hair.  It's there because that was an incredible slap shot and an incredible player. There is a difference, MeanE.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Did you take 3 days off of work or drive 4.5 hours to get any of their autographs?  I know that I am in the minority when it comes to autographs, I know there are many like you that have rooms with collections and the like.  I just don't get why or when an autograph became important/valuable?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : Rollr, I dont think we really disagree.  Im not willing to accept a formal responsibility for players to be fan friendly, but we agree they should because its the right thing to do, that its good for our game, AND a little bit because a ton of money sometimes results in a push towards putting out a little bit more effort.  You are right, fans get caught up in the money the players make and the expectations are higher, but to be perfectly honest... I was dazzled when a pro would bother to sign for me as a little kid and I am so impressed by classy players being patient and signing for fans today... regardless of how much they make. My personal feeling has always been, whether you made $50,000 in 1972 or $5M in 2011, a person who is blessed by God to be allowed to play in the NHL for a living should give back a little without being asked.  That's just me. I saw Bobby Hull walking towards his son's restaurant in St Louis a few years back. I looked at him and said to my wife, "hey, that's..."  he saw me and I didnt even get to finish my sentence.  He flexed a pose and gave me that million-dollar grin, grabbed a Blues' schedule and signed it, and was handing it to me as I walked over.  Very nice to me and my wife... I was so amazed at what a classy and personable man he was.  He needs to put on a clinic for pro athletes everywhere.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

I agree with that in theory.. But when salaries went from a guy earning a living, to a guy being set for life, and ticket prices went from anyone can afford to go, to this probably has to be an  "occassion" for a family to afford to go I believe the obligations of the player changed.. I Think you were the one who said it, or maybe not, but with the contract comes expectations beyond what you owe on the ice.. I think there are few who would dispute that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Well said Sox Fan, I continue to be surprised by the overreations here, although I did the same at the beginning by calling Marchand a 'jerk'.

I own exactly one Bruins practice jersey (that is autographed) and I have never waited in line for these things, but I have no disrespect for people who do.  Lots of judgments here about other fans.

I think the simpliest point to make about Marchand's situation the other day is just to expect what you would expect from any human being really.  Whether within our jobs or personal lives, I bet everyone here believes that if you are supposed to be somewhere at a certain time, and people are traveling and waiting to see you, you should be there.  Showing up late and leaving early is bad form in any walk of life.  Marchand may have a million decent excuses (he's young, he's busy, he couldn't find his shirt, whatever).  Still bad form.  That's all.

No good reason to insult the people waiting for him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : I agree with that in theory.. But when salaries went from a guy earning a living, to a guy being set for life, and ticket prices went from anyone can afford to go, to this probably has to be an  "occassion" for a family to afford to go I believe the obligations of the player changed.. I Think you were the one who said it, or maybe not, but with the contract comes expectations beyond what you owe on the ice.. I think there are few who would dispute that.
    Posted by rolerhoky19

. That was me who said that about the expectations off the ice. I think that some players however just have the wrong attitude. Dion Puff,Puff in Toronto for example refers himself in the 3rd person & says "Dion don't take pictures, or sign autographs" he says that to the kids as well as adults! Now, that attitude I saw a couple of seasons ago while he was still a Flame. I don't know if he's changed or not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

When you're a kid, you remember meeting athletes, having a brief word, getting an autograph -- it's big stuff to a kid.  I can still remember the time I was visiting Toronto with my family, back when I was 11, and my uncle took me to a Rangers-Leafs game, and he somehow got back by the dressing rooms, and I met then Leafs GM Jim Gregory and Rangers d-man Dale Rolfe.  No Rod Gilbert or Paul Henderson, but it was a thrill nonetheless. 

It saddens me when pro athletes today don't realize that, and seem to forget how it felt when they were kids.  Most current athletes idolized someone when they were in the formative years of their sport, so I don't understand why they don't feel the need to give back, and possibly inspire some other young kid to "keep at it", and maybe, just maybe, become a pro athlete.

Maybe it's maturity, maybe it's personality.  Maybe one of the veterans on the team, or someone from management has to take Marchand aside and tell him that what he does in public reflects on the team as a whole, and that when you say you're gonna be there till 2:00 (or whatever time), then you don't leave until after 2:00, at the earliest, and you plan your schedule to leave enough buffer time to allow for the likelihood that you'll have to stay overtime and sign some more autographs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I've always thought the value of the autograph was the connection to the person who signed - I mean, that's the point, right?  There's this object and because of the object, you briefly connected with someone who you appreciate for whatever reason - great writer, killer slapshot, played bass for Hendrix....  The autograph was once proof, like the signature on a cheque, that the other person was there and participated.  The guy SoxFan mentions is a version of this - he values goalies.  He makes a point of showing them how much he values their participation in his project, so they participate even if he doesn't get to meet them.

I have nothing signed except the odd book where the writer - usually someone I know - took it on himself or herself to write in it.  Most autograph situations don't come out of really meeting the person, maybe have a beer, or have someone put you on the phone so you can hear Cup run stories.  I'm not all that interested in just walking up to someone and asking them to sign or any of that stuff.  Just ain't me.  I have no issue with those whose interest is having that object of connection, but I've known way to many collectors to ever want to be part of that twisted little fantasy world.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I've always thought the value of the autograph was the connection to the person who signed - I mean, that's the point, right?  There's this object and because of the object, you briefly connected with someone who you appreciate for whatever reason - great writer, killer slapshot, played bass for Hendrix....  The autograph was once proof, like the signature on a cheque, that the other person was there and participated.  The guy SoxFan mentions is a version of this - he values goalies.  He makes a point of showing them how much he values their participation in his project, so they participate even if he doesn't get to meet them. I have nothing signed except the odd book where the writer - usually someone I know - took it on himself or herself to write in it.  Most autograph situations don't come out of really meeting the person, maybe have a beer, or have someone put you on the phone so you can hear Cup run stories.  I'm not all that interested in just walking up to someone and asking them to sign or any of that stuff.  Just ain't me.  I have no issue with those whose interest is having that object of connection, but I've known way to many collectors to ever want to be part of that twisted little fantasy world.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Nice post BB.  The proof thing is what I don't get.  Why do people need proof?  I can recall meeting Bobby Carpenter at Hartford Jai Alai when I was in High School(yes I was breaking the law in a betting establishment while underage), I was the only patron that recognized him in the fronton.  I could see he was not sure what he was doing, so I approached and introduced myself, he was shocked that I knew who he was.  I explained to him how to bet, gave him info on players, and won him a bit of cash that evening. He was chill, thanked me for helping him out between games all night.  We went on our way, no autograph, no photo, no proof.  Who cares?  If I had him sign my program, or betting slip, what woul dthat prove.  It would probably sit in a box in the basement with other autographs that I have from when I was a kid.  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : Nice post BB.  The proof thing is what I don't get.  Why do people need proof?  I can recall meeting Bobby Carpenter at Hartford Jai Alai when I was in High School(yes I was breaking the law in a betting establishment while underage), I was the only patron that recognized him in the fronton.  I could see he was not sure what he was doing, so I approached and introduced myself, he was shocked that I knew who he was.  I explained to him how to bet, gave him info on players, and won him a bit of cash that evening. He was chill, thanked me for helping him out between games all night.  We went on our way, no autograph, no photo, no proof.  Who cares?  If I had him sign my program, or betting slip, what woul dthat prove.  It would probably sit in a box in the basement with other autographs that I have from when I was a kid.  :)
    Posted by MeanE

Kind of a cool story.. but now, what if he had been a jerk?? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I've always thought the value of the autograph was the connection to the person who signed - I mean, that's the point, right?  There's this object and because of the object, you briefly connected with someone who you appreciate for whatever reason"

Yah take NAS for instance as he described "now he can look at Hull's dreamy eyes forever" LoL!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : Kind of a cool story.. but now, what if he had been a jerk?? 
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Is this a trick question?  I would say he was a jerk.  No Biggie.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : Is this a trick question?  I would say he was a jerk.  No Biggie.
    Posted by MeanE

not a trick question.. The poster felt marchand was a jerk for not taking the time (paraphrasing)..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : not a trick question.. The poster felt marchand was a jerk for not taking the time (paraphrasing)..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Difference - I didn't take 3 days off of work or drive 4.5 hours for a "chance" to get an autograph.  Brad did plenty that day to engage and share with the community.  Was he supposed to make sure that he signed something for all 3,000 people that showed up at the parade as well?  If the poster just went to the "events" to celebrate and not need "proof", would there be disappointment?  I think the poster is a Jerk for complaining about not getting an autograph from a player that played a pivotal role in the Bruins raising the cup!  Just my opinion.  If people can complain about players, I should be able to complain about fans I feel are childish. Not that any of you that revere autographs are bad people, just not my cup of tea, that's all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted :  Difference - I didn't take 3 days off of work or drive 4.5 hours for a "chance" to get an autograph.  Brad did plenty that day to engage and share with the community.  Was he supposed to make sure that he signed something for all 3,000 people that showed up at the parade as well?  If the poster just went to the "events" to celebrate and not need "proof", would there be disappointment?  I think the poster is a Jerk for complaining about not getting an autograph from a player that played a pivotal role in the Bruins raising the cup!  Just my opinion.  If people can complain about players, I should be able to complain about fans I feel are childish. Not that any of you that revere autographs are bad people, just not my cup of tea, that's all.
    Posted by MeanE

But, you don't know that, you know an article says he ran around all day.. The poster, who was there said he didnt talk to anyone, was late, left early etc.. Like I said, I don't think it was a case of him being a jerk as much as probably other factors, but how would you feel about your story if the guy was a jerk, carpenter didn't make anything near what players make today, but he seemingly embraced the situation.. He was probably out where no one would recognize him for a reason, and spent he day hanging out with a kid more or less?

When your in the public eye, you have obligations, you got to experience it when someone does it right, the poster seemingly did not, I wasn't there so I don't know, but the paper articles just say he had a busy day, not that he was personable, and friendly..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted :  Difference - I didn't take 3 days off of work or drive 4.5 hours for a "chance" to get an autograph.  Brad did plenty that day to engage and share with the community.  Was he supposed to make sure that he signed something for all 3,000 people that showed up at the parade as well?  If the poster just went to the "events" to celebrate and not need "proof", would there be disappointment?  I think the poster is a Jerk for complaining about not getting an autograph from a player that played a pivotal role in the Bruins raising the cup!  Just my opinion.  If people can complain about players, I should be able to complain about fans I feel are childish. Not that any of you that revere autographs are bad people, just not my cup of tea, that's all.
    Posted by MeanE

Totaly agree!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : But, you don't know that, you know an article says he ran around all day.. The poster, who was there said he didnt talk to anyone, was late, left early etc.. Like I said, I don't think it was a case of him being a jerk as much as probably other factors, but how would you feel about your story if the guy was a jerk, carpenter didn't make anything near what players make today, but he seemingly embraced the situation.. He was probably out where no one would recognize him for a reason, and spent he day hanging out with a kid more or less? When your in the public eye, you have obligations, you got to experience it when someone does it right, the poster seemingly did not, I wasn't there so I don't know, but the paper articles just say he had a busy day, not that he was personable, and friendly..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

My point is I don't care if he does it right or not.  Especially for an adult, who in my opinion is a jock sniffer.  If he pulled a Manny Ramirez and backed out of a team function for visits to children's hospitals or walter reed, that's one thing.  But this was HIS day with the cup that he was so instrumental in winning, and big babies are slamming him because they didn't get an autograph and he left early, yadda...yadda...yadda!  Brad is cocky, he is brash, he is rough around the edges, etc... and I like him just the way he is!  ANd by the fact that he has outsold every other Bruins jersey, most agree!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from deejm2112. Show deejm2112's posts

Tom McVie, although not a player, had the cup all over Portland, the news rooms (at least 3), downtown in Pioneer square, Sherwood Ice Arena, and a dive sports bar called Lil Cooperstown (I actually used to live near there), thousands of fans got to pose with the cup. It was all choice, he could have had a private party, etc...but he chose to bring it all around town.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : Did you take 3 days off of work or drive 4.5 hours to get any of their autographs?  I know that I am in the minority when it comes to autographs, I know there are many like you that have rooms with collections and the like.  I just don't get why or when an autograph became important/valuable?  
    Posted by MeanE

I took longer than that.  I took an entire week and drove nine hours to Atlantic City.  There was a tremendous card convention and there were many legends there signing stuff.  I probably left with 10 large photos of 500 goal scorers from the 70's and 80's.  To take a few minutes out of life and chat with Darryl Sittler and Bobby Hull and to stand in front of Marurice Richard and shake his extended hand was an experience of a lifetime.

I understand that you don't understand.  Considering the size of the crowd on the other side of the fence, you should tone down your mockery.  Most sports fans don't agree with you.

Would you drive two hours for a chance to hang out with a group of hockey fans and maybe talk with Bobby Orr?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

MeanE, you are right. The original poster, plus Rolerhoky[ in spades] are totally ignoring the facts, as reported publicly, that Brad started at 5 A.M., immediately after the hurricane went thru, brought the CUP to his home area and during the day attended a number of open events to show the cup and say hello to hundreds of local fans and friends. Couldn't do much more if he tried. The poster's wrong and I applaud Brad just as I applauded Bergie and other Bruins for their commitment and thoughtfulness. Arriving late meant he had been delayed with other fans; and leaving early meant he had additional places to spread the viewing of the Cup.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the season cannot start soon enough...these nonsense topics are useless. which is exactly why i haven't been posting since end of june! the fact that "fans" believe they are "owed" something from men who play a game- is hilarious. the people who are clamoring for their autographs and photos are the one's responsible for creating these egotistical monsters(not saying brad is). treat them like normal people, and maybe that's how they will act. treat them like they are gods, and guess what you'll get? hmmmmm. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

the season cannot start soon enough...these nonsense topics are useless. which is exactly why i haven't been posting since end of june! the fact that "fans" believe they are "owed" something from men who play a game- is hilarious. the people who are clamoring for their autographs and photos are the one's responsible for creating these egotistical monsters(not saying brad is). treat them like normal people, and maybe that's how they will act. treat them like they are gods, and guess what you'll get? hmmmmm. 
    Posted by adkbeesfan

I hardly think that asking someone for an autograph, a photo or a handshake is "treating (him) like a god". 

Hockey players, like it or not, are role models for young athletes.  While I don't always agree that they should be adored or put on a pedestal, the dedication and years of hard work necessary to play the game (any game) at the highest level is something to be admired.  If a young player thinks "if I work really hard, maybe one day I can become a pro hockey player like <insert name here />".  If getting a photo with that player helps inspire that kid, then so be it.  Everyone's seen that pic of a young Wayne Gretzky with Gordie Howe -- you don't think that photo helped, in some small way, develop the greatest player who ever lived?

Anyways, my main point is that a player should keep his commitments to the public.  IF HE SAYS that he's gonna be somewhere for photos and autographs till 2:00pm, it looks bad if he leaves before the appointed time, with a bunch of disappointed fans standing around.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

One last link for you guys that seems to refute the claim that Marchand left early from St. Margaret's Centre. Let's remember the idea of him snubbing the fans by leaving early is a claim made by only 1 faceless poster on a forum. I'm more inclined to trust Canada's most reputable news organization.....the CBC, whose reporter claimed that Brad, at 4pm, could still be seen bending down to allow young kids the chance to touch the Cup before being whisked away. Sounds to me like Brad honoured his commitments.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/08/29/ns-marchand-stanley-cup.html

Sections
Shortcuts