Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted

BOOOOHOOOHOOOO MOMMY BRAD DIDN'T SIGN MY STUFF LIKE I WANTED HIM!!!!!
    Grow up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : While that is true, players also didn't used to be set for life because of a couple good seasons.. Fans pay the check, and its a big check, players do owe them something for that.
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

The only thing the players owe "this" fan is a committment on giving it every thing they have to be a better player!  I don't give a rat's behind if any of them "share" the cup, sign autographs, take pictures, kiss babies, etc... with any of you.  This sense of entitlement to player access is astonishing.  They don't owe you or I anythinng off of the ice.  If they choose to participate it's a bonus!  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : The only thing the players owe "this" fan is a committment on giving it every thing they have to be a better player!  I don't give a rat's behind if any of them "share" the cup, sign autographs, take pictures, kiss babies, etc... with any of you.  This sense of entitlement to player access is astonishing.  They don't owe you or I anythinng off of the ice.  If they choose to participate it's a bonus!  
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

I think while some on here will agree with you, most know thats not true..Including the NHL.
    And BS they dont owe the fans anything.. Fans are the reason they make millions of dollars.. Its not a case of entitlement, its gratitude to the fans.. The nhl brought fans back from a work stoppage over greed, could easily end do it again in 2 years..

You may be ok with that, and I don't personally care, but players have commitments becuase they certainly do owe the fans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : I think while some on here will agree with you, most know thats not true..Including the NHL. And BS they dont owe the fans anything.. Fans are the reason they make millions of dollars.. Its not a case of entitlement, its gratitude to the fans.. The nhl brought fans back from a work stoppage over greed, could easily end do it again in 2 years.. You may be ok with that, and I don't personally care, but players have commitments becuase they certainly do owe the fans.

They make millions of dollars because people choose to pay high ticket prices to watch them play games!  That is their job!  Not to sign autographs for jock sniffers!  They are employed by the Boston Bruins.  They sign a contract, sometimes with stipulations that they provide time for community service events.  Players don't "owe" the fans anything outside of what is in their contract.  I understand the whole greed thing and I believe that professional sports is out of control, but that doesn't mean that any of them owe me a silly signature on a $35 hat or to "share" a cup that they worked so hard to obtain.  The idolatry of athletes by adults is laughable to me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

The thing of it is that these players made a choice to do this for a career. With that choice comes responsibility just like any other job. When you're an athlete you're not just getting paid to play. You're also getting paid to endorse the sport in a positive way as well as interacting with the fans. The NHL is the best sport in the world for having make sure that the players DO lots for the fans! And you're wrong Meane! They have a responsibility to sign autographs that is part of the job! It may not be in their contract, but as an athlete that's part of what you're signing up for! They're not expected to sign every jersey or piece of paper thrown at them; or in a lineup; but it certainly is a criteria that is included as a pro athlete. At least in the NHL it is!

I can sympathize with the poster; but schedules get out of whack everyday. Almost every event they go to there's fans that get missed. BM is still young & has talent; but reading the posters mind & knowing that he drove hours to see him isn't one of them. I'm sure if BM or one of his organizers knew this; they probably would've made sure that he got something.

I also think that BM certainly has a big chip on his shoulder & he has a lot of growing up to do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : They make millions of dollars because people choose to pay high ticket prices to watch them play games!  That is their job!  Not to sign autographs for jock sniffers!  They are employed by the Boston Bruins.  They sign a contract, sometimes with stipulations that they provide time for community service events.  Players don't "owe" the fans anything outside of what is in their contract.  I understand the whole greed thing and I believe that professional sports is out of control, but that doesn't mean that any of them owe me a silly signature on a $35 hat or to "share" a cup that they worked so hard to obtain.  The idolatry of athletes by adults is laughable to me.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

I would wager there are obligations they must meet with their day with the cup, you disagree?? 

Also, they work for the bruins, the bruins make their money through the fans.. If the fans stop showing up the bruins wont be paying the players.. The bruins are the corporation, the fans are the client, no matter what you do for work, in general you have an employer, who is seperate from the client..

Fans used to pay much less, and players used to earn much less.. You take that money, you know the obligations that come with it.. Its no different then if your an actor and you do a movie, your expected to promote the movie..

And honestly in the context of this post, its not that important, marchand was there and meant his obligations, was he a jerk about it?? Cause that was the start of the post.. But I think its way to short sighted to say the players work for the bruins, not the fans, and the players owe nothing more then a good effort for the millions upon millions they take home..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

MEanE
    I would also add, if you don't want to have these obligations, don't play in boston, or in canada, go play in Florida etc, where they dont care, and the pressure isnt there..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : I would wager there are obligations they must meet with their day with the cup, you disagree??  Also, they work for the bruins, the bruins make their money through the fans.. If the fans stop showing up the bruins wont be paying the players.. The bruins are the corporation, the fans are the client, no matter what you do for work, in general you have an employer, who is seperate from the client.. Fans used to pay much less, and players used to earn much less.. You take that money, you know the obligations that come with it.. Its no different then if your an actor and you do a movie, your expected to promote the movie.. And honestly in the context of this post, its not that important, marchand was there and meant his obligations, was he a jerk about it?? Cause that was the start of the post.. But I think its way to short sighted to say the players work for the bruins, not the fans, and the players owe nothing more then a good effort for the millions upon millions they take home..

I do disagree about obligations that they must meet with the cup.  I don't care how much the players make, the jock sniffers expectations would be the same.  Just look at the minor league, the jock sniffers have the similar idolatry and expectations and those guys don't make the big bucks!  Fans used to pay much less for the NHL and the expectations were the same. To me, the money doesn't matter!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : I would wager there are obligations they must meet with their day with the cup, you disagree??  [/QUOTE]

Interesting question.  I'd like to ask PC/NHL this.  Its obvious the league imposes requirements on players/coaches re: in-game/post-game interviews, etc, so I wonder if there are actually formal "obligations" associated with a player's day with the Cup.  A good question.

And regarding the players' responsibility to the fans:  I'm going to maintain that they do not have any real obligation to do anything for the fans other than be civil.  However, especially in a game like hockey that needs the positive exposure in the US, it is in every player's best interest to make the extra effort, sign the extra hat, spend a couple more minutes, force another smile, and make fans feel good.  Its good for their sport and great for their reputation.  Its easier for a player when he's a likeable guy.

So, while I'd disagree that players have an obligation based on their salaries, I'd say if they had any brains, maturity, class or character they would know being fan-friendly is a good thing.

I'd also say that the many pro hockey players I've known are light years better people and more pleasant to fans than athletes in any other sport.  And that goes from stars all the way to bench-warmers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

MeanE,
    I would wager the NHL requires players to do something public with the cup on their day with it from a marketing stand point.. I don't know why you dont think the league requires players to do their part to sell the game..
    And why is a fan who goes to a public even a jock sniffer cause he expects the player to personable? seriously..

Soxfan,
    I don't think players have a specific obligation, outlined in their deal, but you have obligations.. I have seen countless athletes out, several celeberties and I respect their space and wouldnt approach them, but teams put on events, charity events, players put on events etc, because they all know, and understand there are obligations they owe to the fans..   I dont think a guy earning X owes X amount of good will, but if players were earning far less money, the expectations would be different don't you think?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]The thing of it is that these players made a choice to do this for a career. With that choice comes responsibility just like any other job. When you're an athlete you're not just getting paid to play. You're also getting paid to endorse the sport in a positive way as well as interacting with the fans. The NHL is the best sport in the world for having make sure that the players DO lots for the fans! And you're wrong Meane! They have a responsibility to sign autographs that is part of the job! It may not be in their contract, but as an athlete that's part of what you're signing up for! They're not expected to sign every jersey or piece of paper thrown at them; or in a lineup; but it certainly is a criteria that is included as a pro athlete. At least in the NHL it is! I can sympathize with the poster; but schedules get out of whack everyday. Almost every event they go to there's fans that get missed. BM is still young & has talent; but reading the posters mind & knowing that he drove hours to see him isn't one of them. I'm sure if BM or one of his organizers knew this; they probably would've made sure that he got something. I also think that BM certainly has a big chip on his shoulder & he has a lot of growing up to do.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Is it a players "responsibility" to sign autographs for low life memorabilia clowns?  What if a player only signs for kids?  What if a player only signs for 5 minutes after the game?  What if a player will only signs personalized autographs?  These guys do more then their fair share of "giving back" to the community.  I just don't get adults that get so caught up in the idolatry of players and memorabilia, that they will fight in the stands over a puck, or fall to their death to catch a foul ball.  Someone explain to me what is so important?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : Is it a players "responsibility" to sign autographs for low life memorabilia clowns?  What if a player only signs for kids?  What if a player only signs for 5 minutes after the game?  What if a player will only signs personalized autographs?  These guys do more then their fair share of "giving back" to the community.  I just don't get adults that get so caught up in the idolatry of players and memorabilia, that they will fight in the stands over a puck, or fall to their death to catch a foul ball.  Someone explain to me what is so important?
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is talking about that..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : I don't think anyone is talking about that..

Then what are people talking about?  I thought it was about being disappointed about not getting an autograph that started this whole thing?  3 days off work, 4 1/2 hour drive, yadda, yadda, yadda.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Paul Kariya used to be a real dkwad about signing - saying to kids "how much are you going to sell this for?" "What's it worth if I sign it?" etc.

The memorabilia market, like fantasy games, has had an impact on many players' interactions with fans.  Players are now very aware that their signatures - their names, their presence - are commodities.  And they know that among the kids and the real fans are the dealers and weasels.

I doubt there are official requirements for public events and outreach for Cup days - I would guess most players are willing to spend part of their day sharing the Cup in some capacity. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]MeanE, I would wager the NHL requires players to do something public with the cup on their day with it from a marketing stand point.. I don't know why you dont think the league requires players to do their part to sell the game.. And why is a fan who goes to a public even a jock sniffer cause he expects the player to personable? seriously.. Soxfan, I don't think players have a specific obligation, outlined in their deal, but you have obligations.. I have seen countless athletes out, several celeberties and I respect their space and wouldnt approach them, but teams put on events, charity events, players put on events etc, because they all know, and understand there are obligations they owe to the fans..   I dont think a guy earning X owes X amount of good will, but if players were earning far less money, the expectations would be different don't you think?

I went to see the B's off to Vancouver to show my support for the team!  However I did not care if I got a picture with them or an autograph.  That's the difference between a jock sniffer and a fan.

Were the expectations different for Bobby Orr?  How about Phil Esposito?  Gerry Cheevers? Milt Schmidt?  Some of those players didn't make in their career what guys like Chara make in a year.  Yet fans that feel they "owe" us something were around then as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : I went to see the B's off to Vancouver to show my support for the team!  However I did not care if I got a picture with them or an autograph.  That's the difference between a jock sniffer and a fan. Were the expectations different for Bobby Orr?  How about Phil Esposito?  Gerry Cheevers? Milt Schmidt?  Some of those players didn't make in their career what guys like Chara make in a year.  Yet fans that feel they "owe" us something were around then as well.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]
    Just because somebody wants an autograph doesn't make them a "jock sniffer" my 12 yr old daughter got a bunch of B's autographs! I got a bunch of autographs on a B's jersey & gave it to my cousins 16 yr old who has cancer. Think you're way off base & out of line for calling autograph seekers "jock sniffers"! You don't know every single person that waits in line, or hangs around after practice situation! I think you deserve a good kick in the grapes making that statement!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : Just because somebody wants an autograph doesn't make them a "jock sniffer" my 12 yr old daughter got a bunch of B's autographs! I got a bunch of autographs on a B's jersey & gave it to my cousins 16 yr old who has cancer. Think you're way off base & out of line for calling autograph seekers "jock sniffers"! You don't know every single person that waits in line, or hangs around after practice situation! I think you deserve a good kick in the grapes making that statement!

I specified adults!  Not kids! , if you are an adult.  In my opinion, Adult autograph seekers for the most part are jock sniffers or scum bag memorabilia sellers.  You wanting to kick me in the grapes will not change my mind.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : I went to see the B's off to Vancouver to show my support for the team!  However I did not care if I got a picture with them or an autograph.  That's the difference between a jock sniffer and a fan. Were the expectations different for Bobby Orr?  How about Phil Esposito?  Gerry Cheevers? Milt Schmidt?  Some of those players didn't make in their career what guys like Chara make in a year.  Yet fans that feel they "owe" us something were around then as well.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

I dont think the expectations of those guys were the same at all.. That was my point.. I think there are guys who are still great ambassadors to the game, but in all sports I think the expectations have grown as the salaries have grown, and I think its rightfully so.  When players were earning wages that required them to go out and work a job in the off season I think (my opinion) the public requirements were a lot less.. I think part of this is why players of earlier decades look at the salaries now and feel players owe them.. You dont hear about it in the NHL right now, but in the NFL you certainly do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

BB,
    about Kariya, really? I grew up near unh and have autographs of his, and two other brothers and a couple other umaine players (as well a a slew of UNH players).. that kind of surprises me..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : I dont think the expectations of those guys were the same at all.. That was my point.. I think there are guys who are still great ambassadors to the game, but in all sports I think the expectations have grown as the salaries have grown, and I think its rightfully so.  When players were earning wages that required them to go out and work a job in the off season I think (my opinion) the public requirements were a lot less.. I think part of this is why players of earlier decades look at the salaries now and feel players owe them.. You dont hear about it in the NHL right now, but in the NFL you certainly do.

We will agree to disagree.  Those Big Bad Bruins teams were as popular or more popular with the fans and if there were message boards and social media back then, they would have complained that "The GOAT" Bobby Orr was immature because he only signed 63 autographs.  Adults that idolize athletes need to grow up!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : We will agree to disagree.  Those Big Bad Bruins teams were as popular or more popular with the fans and if there were message boards and social media back then, they would have complained that "The GOAT" Bobby Orr was immature because he only signed 63 autographs.  Adults that idolize athletes need to grow up!
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

But i am not talking about the popularity. I am saying when players were making less, they were in less of the public eye, and expectations were lower.. Maybe its less to do with the money, and more to do with modern technology, but players used to make less, and they used to get much more of a private life..
    This is well outside the original post, which was the guy felt like marchand was a jerk.. If he was, he was, I was jsut saying I don't get the impression he isa  jerk as much as he is immature, unaware of his role. .He had 1 day with the cup, and a certain level of obligations.. My work days 14 hours long typically, being busy isnt an excuse for being a jerk..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocenter/

"Brad made a nice presentation to Jane Matheson, wife of the late Donnie Matheson. Donnie was a scout for the Bruins"

PS. "Yah but he looked hungover!"...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]                     http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocenter/ "Brad made a nice presentation to Jane Matheson, wife of the late Donnie Matheson. Donnie was a scout for the Bruins" PS. "Yah but he looked hungover!"...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Being a fellow Maritmer. I can tell you right now... If I was in BM's situation & not married & no kids & 23 yrs old! I'd 200% be hungover too! The only difference would be instead of cereal,  I would've made one heck of a RED EYE!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : I specified adults!  Not kids! , if you are an adult.  In my opinion, Adult autograph seekers for the most part are jock sniffers or scum bag memorabilia sellers.  You wanting to kick me in the grapes will not change my mind.  
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]
    And people with your additude are dickheads! And me wanting to kick you in the grapes doesn't change my mind of that either so checkmate!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brad Marchard day with the Cup, Fans left dissapinted : And people with your additude are dickheads! And me wanting to kick you in the grapes doesn't change my mind of that either so checkmate!!

I'd rather be a d-head then a jock sniffer! Just sayin'!