Braden Holtby = Ken Dryden??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Braden Holtby = Ken Dryden??

Let's hope not! Not likely anyway. Could be tough luck for the Caps with Vokoun and Neuvirth both hurt.

Sabourin is backing Holtby up. I was wondering where he ended up.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Re: Braden Holtby = Ken Dryden??

yeah, and Caron = Cam Neely.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

and Dave Lewis = Scotty Bowman

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Never heard of any of those guys either :P
    Holtby's NHL #s ain't too shabby. Small sample though.

Team           GP   W       L  T   OT  SO   GA    SA    Sv%     AA   Min
    NHL Totals   21  14   4  0  3   37  524  .929  2.02  1,097

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The Caps are down to their last stand in goal.  Perhaps Julien should tell Lucic, Marchand and others braking is optional.  Kidding.  Is Olaf Kolzig still around? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Braden Holtby = Ken Dryden??:
    [QUOTE]Never heard of any of those guys either :P Holtby's NHL #s ain't too shabby. Small sample though. Team            GP   W       L   T    OT   SO   GA     SA     Sv%      AA    Min NHL Totals   21  14   4   0   3  3    37  524  .929  2.02  1,097
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

And a .906 in the AHL on a not terrible, in the playoffs anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

[QUOTE]yeah, and Caron = Cam Neely.
    Posted by Olsonic[/QUOTE]

Caron = Neely....is more likely than Holtby = Dryden.......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

these aren't the '71 B'S....

Dryden would've never pulled out the upset had Eddie Johnston held on to a 5-1 lead in game two and giving the B'S a 2-0 lead in the series.... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Julien is preaching as we speak , get to Holtby early, attack the net, get him off his game and shoot, often.
    I'm thinking they'll want to deflate any confidence he has. All t takes is the first goal and a Bruins lead.  Then we'll see the Luongoal effect.
    The fans will do their part.

When's the game ??? Thursday is too far !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

he's a good young goaltender, who pretty much has no pressure on him, wouldnt shock me if he played very well in the series, ultimately though unless he stands on his head I see the B's winning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

Krug = Orr

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I don't like this one bit. The Bruins have a loooong history of making inexperienced goalies look like the reincarnation of Dryden. Plus, you know the Caps will circle the wagons and try even more than ever to lock down on the back end, which otherwise would be a big advantage for the Bs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

From today's Washington Post:

Posted at 01:23 PM ET, 04/09/2012

McPhee on Braden Holtby: ‘We have no choice -- if the other guys aren’t ready to go, he’s playing’

No one could have predicted that the Capitals would be dealing with injuries to both Tomas Vokoun and Michal Neuvirth at the start of the playoffs, but that’s the situation they find themselves in just three days ahead of Game 1 of a first-round series against the Boston Bruins.

General Manager George McPhee said Neuvirth, who suffered an apparent injury to his left leg on April 5, will try to practice with the team on Tuesday but that it’s uncertain whether the 24-year-old Czech will be available in the first round.

“Yeah he could if everything goes okay in the next few days,” McPhee said when asked about the possibility Neuvirth will be able to suit up against the Bruins, “But we won’t know until Thursday, obviously, where we are.”

Meanwhile, Vokoun will likely need more time to recover from a groin injury but McPhee said the veteran netminder should be on the ice for a solo workout Tuesday. “I think he’s a little bit behind Neuvirth,” McPhee said of Vokoun’s schedule.

Their injuries leave Washington with prospect Braden Holtby, 22 years old with 21 games of NHL experience, as the No. 1 netminder and presumed starter until further notice. Holtby has played 16 playoff games in his career between the AHL and WHL.

This isn’t the first time the Capitals have needed young goaltenders to step up in the postseason. Neuvirth started all nine games in the 2011 playoffs and prior to that Semyon Varlamov appeared in 19 of their 21 games in the 2009 and 2010 playoffs.

The largest difference with those scenarios is that Neuvirth, who was 23 at the time, and Varlamov, who was 21 turning 22 in the 2009 postseason, had spent those regular seasons in the NHL.

“Well we’ve done it before. We have no choice -- if the other guys aren’t ready to go, he’s playing,” McPhee said about Holtby. “He can handle it. We’ve had other goalies do it that were the same age, or younger.”

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It doesn't matter who's in net for the Caps.  Heck, they could brick it up, all 24sqft of it.  Top to bottom, left to right, all bricks.

The Caps defense is so pitiful, the B's would still score three a game.

For all of you who are just looking for reasons to say "I told you so" if the B's lose, just stop already!  This kid wasn't good enough to make the Caps this year, and their goaltending is a JOKE to begin with!

Situate yourselves in the second round for failure.  It's a lot more fun when you can thump your chest and say, "The Boston Bruins are going to kick the tar out of this sad sack, last minute entry that has no depth, AHL defense and Who's He in the nets!"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

This year's playoffs will leave B's fans saying Chiarelli is a genius for signing Benoit Pouliot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

This kid wasn't good enough to make the Caps this year, and their goaltending is a JOKE to begin with!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

True.  If not for the injuries he wouldn't be in the conversation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]he's a good young goaltender, who pretty much has no pressure on him, wouldnt shock me if he played very well in the series, ultimately though unless he stands on his head I see the B's winning.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

That must have cost you given your pre-season predictions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Even if the kid pulls a Leighton and plays well, he doesn't have the horses to steal more than a game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

[QUOTE]This year's playoffs will leave B's fans saying Chiarelli is a genius for signing Benoit Pouliot.
    Posted by felixwas[/QUOTE]

Let's hope so!!
    Montreal will regret letting Benoit leave.
    hahahaha

Ryder anyone?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

I have season tickets to the Hershey Bears and I have watched Holtby for the past 3 seasons. He has a temper. I would put a guy in front of him from the first shift. I have seen him take a lot of penalties for slashing, punching & cross-checking guys in front of him. Score first on him and he can get frustrated and leave in weak goals. Holtby was terrible for the Bears in the playoffs last season and hasn't played great for most of this season. Dany Sabourin has actually outplayed him for most of the season in Hershey. Holtby is a cocky kid, but his confidence can be shaken fast.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

[QUOTE]I have season tickets to the Hershey Bears and I have watched Holtby for the past 3 seasons. He has a temper. I would put a guy in front of him from the first shift. I have seen him take a lot of penalties for slashing, punching & cross-checking guys in front of him. Score first on him and he can get frustrated and leave in weak goals. Holtby was terrible for the Bears in the playoffs last season and hasn't played great for most of this season. Dany Sabourin has actually outplayed him for most of the season in Hershey. Holtby is a cocky kid, but his confidence can be shaken fast.
    Posted by lordy4[/QUOTE]

Outstanding post. Heck, I've watched the kid play what? three time? Small enough sample size that I have no real formed opinion of his play. Thanks for the scout.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Braden Holtby = Ken Dryden?? : That must have cost you given your pre-season predictions.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Yep, i picked Caps vs Kings in the Finals, but won't go against my B's..Who'd you pick?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

from TSN

"ARLINGTON, Va. -- Washington Capitals goaltender Michal Neuvirth is uncertain whether he'll be able to play in the first-round playoff series against the Boston Bruins.

Neuvirth returned to practice Tuesday for the first time since injuring his left leg last week, but he wasn't able to stay on the ice for the entire session. Asked if he thinks he'll play against Boston, he said: "I don't have the answer."

Tomas Vokoun is more pessimistic. He skated briefly before practice on his injured groin and said: "I'm disappointed as anyone that it turned out this way, but I try and I just can't do it. It's a groin, and for a goalie that's essential."

The injuries mean third-choice goalie Braden Holtby is expected to make his playoff debut in Game 1 on Thursday."

looks like no Bebe Neuvirth in the series.

Sections
Shortcuts