Braden Holtby = Ken Dryden??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Re: Braden Holtby = Ken Dryden??

In Response to Re: Braden Holtby = Ken Dryden??:
    I have season tickets to the Hershey Bears and I have watched Holtby for the past 3 seasons. He has a temper. I would put a guy in front of him from the first shift. I have seen him take a lot of penalties for slashing, punching & cross-checking guys in front of him. Score first on him and he can get frustrated and leave in weak goals. Holtby was terrible for the Bears in the playoffs last season and hasn't played great for most of this season. Dany Sabourin has actually outplayed him for most of the season in Hershey. Holtby is a cocky kid, but his confidence can be shaken fast.
    Posted by lordy4

Great insight...

Braden Holtby - Washington Capitals

That's Holtby, by the way...

Looks like a giant doucher...

I hope you guys are right on Holtby...

If true, his short temper plus the Bruins' scoring depth is an awful match up for the Caps...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Where's Jim Carey these days ? He hanging around Dorchester ? Maybe McPhee could sign him...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scotty09. Show scotty09's posts

remember the 1988 VP debate, when Lloyd Bentsen said about Holtby, " I knew Ken Dryden, and you're no Ken Dryden!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Not quite Ken Dryden, but the kid played a great game in his first ever taste of playoff action.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I have season tickets to the Hershey Bears and I have watched Holtby for the past 3 seasons. He has a temper. I would put a guy in front of him from the first shift. I have seen him take a lot of penalties for slashing, punching & cross-checking guys in front of him. Score first on him and he can get frustrated and leave in weak goals. Holtby was terrible for the Bears in the playoffs last season and hasn't played great for most of this season. Dany Sabourin has actually outplayed him for most of the season in Hershey. Holtby is a cocky kid, but his confidence can be shaken fast.
    Posted by lordy4

Great call.  This happened.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

If , as noted, Holtby, who did play a great game, can be rattled, Claude should add Caron to Kreji's line, and the front of the net, and move Peverly to Kelly's line where his speed would be better utilized

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I was thinking about the Ken Dryden thing too but although I will give the kid credit for having a good game, the Bruins as good as they are have had a tendancy at times of making lots of golaies look good.  Hopefully they can bear down a little more around the net and shake this kid's confidence a little in game 2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

If , as noted, Holtby, who did play a great game, can be rattled, Claude should add Caron to Kreji's line, and the front of the net, and move Peverly to Kelly's line where his speed would be better utilized
    Posted by bogie6

Everyone is looking for excuses to play Caron.  I understand that a shiny new toy (in this case, a rookie) is more exciting than an established vet (in this case: Poul or Rolls).  However, when it comes to winning games: forcing ice time for Caron is not worth breaking up the Poul, Kelly, Rolls line.  They may be the best third line in the playoffs right now.

I dont dislike Caron but I dont think he's good enough to warrant breaking up two lines over.  I can see an argument to play Caron over Thornton on the fourth line, but that's as far as I'd go.  And I'm not saying this to bash Caron, I'm gushing over our depth.  Caron is solid and definately capable of being a top 9 forward right now....but he just isnt a top 9 forward on this team.

Blame PC for doing too good of a job.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Braden Holtby = Ken Dryden?? : Everyone is looking for excuses to play Caron.  I understand that a shiny new toy (in this case, a rookie) is more exciting than an established vet (in this case: Poul or Rolls).  However, when it comes to winning games: forcing ice time for Caron is not worth breaking up the Poul, Kelly, Rolls line.  They may be the best third line in the playoffs right now. I dont dislike Caron but I dont think he's good enough to warrant breaking up two lines over.  I can see an argument to play Caron over Thornton on the fourth line, but that's as far as I'd go.  And I'm not saying this to bash Caron, I'm gushing over our depth.  Caron is solid and definately capable of being a top 9 forward right now....but he just isnt a top 9 forward on this team . Blame PC for doing too good of a job.
    Posted by Drewski5

I agree...good post Drew.

He may get some ice anyway as the playoffs slog on. Somebody gets injured (watch out for that falling glass!), suspended (I hope not!) or plays poorly (God forbid) and coach decides to shake things up for a game or two.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Braden Holtby = Ken Dryden?? : I agree...good post Drew. He may get some ice anyway as the playoffs slog on. Somebody gets injured (watch out for that falling glass!), suspended (I hope not!) or plays poorly (God forbid) and coach decides to shake things up for a game or two.
    Posted by WalkTheLine

Completely agree and should any of the above happen, I have every confidence that Caron will be ready.  He may be the best 13th forward in the NHL.

There's just an abundance of depth on this team.  PC said that adding depth was his deadline goal and he accomplished it.  Caron is a solid player, but there is nowhere to put him right now (knock on wood that Krejci plays tomorrow)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Can I change my answer from No to Maybe?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

If lordy is right, then I think that a soft goal in OT after he played an outstanding regulation (particularly for a playoff debut) was perfect. The scouting report seems to be spot on, as he was penalized for that hit in front of his crease.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Sorry Drerwskie, my recommendation was not based on breaking up the third line, as they have played well. It was more focused on creating problems for Holtby, as noted earlier in the thread, on how he can be rattled, by in-your face, net front presence. Peverly, with all his speed, is not a net front type of guy, but, Caron is, and has proven so during the season. Doing so for the 4th line is not exactly clearing a way for snipers. Allocating Peverly to the 3rd line is based on his speed ans play making being more effective than Rolston or Pouliot, which, also, was noticed when he was injured and unavailable. What is mystifying to me is, where are the Bruins scouting staff? If one of our posters can identify Holtby's characteristics, why is not Claude fully versed on the same???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from backin72. Show backin72's posts

Sorry Drerwskie, my recommendation was not based on breaking up the third line, as they have played well. It was more focused on creating problems for Holtby, as noted earlier in the thread, on how he can be rattled, by in-your face, net front presence. Peverly, with all his speed, is not a net front type of guy, but, Caron is, and has proven so during the season. Doing so for the 4th line is not exactly clearing a way for snipers. Allocating Peverly to the 3rd line is based on his speed ans play making being more effective than Rolston or Pouliot, which, also, was noticed when he was injured and unavailable. What is mystifying to me is, where are the Bruins scouting staff? If one of our posters can identify Holtby's characteristics, why is not Claude fully versed on the same???
    Posted by bogie6

Who says he isn't?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Bogie, are you suggesting that the 3rd line is better without Peverley?

.....Have you been watching this team for the past 3 weeks?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Posted by bogie6

I guess you could throw Caron out there with Krejci and Lucic on a shift, to try to get in Holtby's face / throw him off.  Then you could re-adjust.  You know Bogie, I really wish you were allowed to dress 19 skaters.  That would give Claude a ton of versatility.  He could sub Caron in for Pevs for a shift here or there to try to get under Holtby's skin.

Seriously, hockey is the only sport where you cant have reserves.  I jsut dont get that.  The players union would LOVE it if teams could dress a 19th skater, and it would allow veteran types to stick around longer.

Why not!?!?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Can I change my answer from No to Maybe?
    Posted by red75

No.

Sections
Shortcuts