Breaking Out...or the Lack of it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Breaking Out...or the Lack of it

I've being able to watch 3 games in a row, ( first time that has happened this season), and I can't help but notice the Bruins are having a very hard time breaking out of their own end.

Question. Are our defenceman that slow ? Or are our wingers not breaking out properly. I swear a few times I saw the defenceman rushing across the blueline and noticed the winger standing at the blue line. It was especially evident in the Scabs game, with their lil fast forwards.

Is this an X and O thing ? Or have we gotten a little slower ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Breaking Out...or the Lack of it

In response to Stuke50's comment:

I've being able to watch 3 games in a row, ( first time that has happened this season), and I can't help but notice the Bruins are having a very hard time breaking out of their own end.

Question. Are our defenceman that slow ? Or are our wingers not breaking out properly. I swear a few times I saw the defenceman rushing across the blueline and noticed the winger standing at the blue line. It was especially evident in the Scabs game, with their lil fast forwards.

Our defense is not very mobile nor are thet great puck movers.  Wingers come back deep and centers support.  Its on the def not the fwds.   System plays into this as well but most are designed to support.  

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Maybe they need a PMD.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

There's such a thing as adjustment, but when all lines are scrambled, noone knows what to do or where to position for breakout, pass defense or offense. The Bruins malaise is partly the loss of Bergie and marchand, but also square on the coaching decisions, including Claude having no clue where or how to play Jagr. This is now a real mess with coaches that rely too heavily on defense, and no clue on maintaining a selective offense. Tuuka probably wishes he had one of those goals back, but he has managed extremely well in all this confusion. Plus, yes, except for Bartkowski and Hamilton the defense is slower than it has been. Age and injuries are taking a toll on Seids, Ference, even Chara. Add in Boychuck's brain scrums and there are problems

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They've gone through this every year for the last 4.  They get off-track and their passing starts to stink the joint out.  Passes are late, so an open guy is now at least partiallly covered or pressured; passes are off just enough to take away momentum; passes are too soft and picked off.  Every year.  I can't recall what made it break the last few years, but they get it back, usually with a concentration on moving the puck quickly to a guy who has some momentum going through the neutral zone.

Forwards are just as guilty of the slowness, shupe.  How many times does the breakout break down on the wall just inside the blueline where a forward doesn't take a pass or doesn't move the puck quickly enough and gets jammed up?  And the pass to the guy who will carry the puck usually comes from that forward, not a D-man.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Stuke, you are right.

The breakout is not as crisp because of the wings. The first line with Lucic and Horton slumbering and revolving third line, prior to Bergeron injury. Only two lines were reliable in the breakout.

After Bergeron injury all four lines have been suffled, so it's no surprise that the breakout has looked really bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Teams have figured out that the B's have trouble with the all out forecheck, and that's a big part of it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Three things:

1. Forwards aren't doing much to get into skating lanes when backchecking. Of course the other team is going to send 1 guy flying and try to put pressure on the Boston defence, but the Bs forwards can't just give them a free pass. A little intereference wouldn't hurt.

2. Defence absolutely need to make quicker decisions with the puck. How many times have we seen Chara, Seidenberg, Ference, etc absorb checks with the puck still on their sticks.

3. Third guy high - on the beakout, the pass from defense to wing along the board has been fine, but the next guy hasn't been open with regularity to chip it out or pass up the middle and out. However, half the time they're not in position because #2 isn't working, so it kind of goes hand in hand.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Our defense is not very mobile nor are thet great puck movers.  Wingers come back deep and centers support.  Its on the def not the fwds.   System plays into this as well but most are designed to support.

Opposing teams go right to where the forwards are set up on the breakout and then send in two forecheckers after the Bruins D. Juulien is not changing the set up to break out, teams are keying on this.

This concerns more than anything else right now. Younger, quicker teams are beating Bostons passes to the where the forwards are positioned to breakout. The Bruins will score with Bergeron and Marchand healthy but they won't if they are pinned in their own end.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to Stuke50's comment:

Good point ..I have noticed that some of our defencemen really slowed down (I dont want to get blasted so I wont give any names) ...I have also noticed against the scabs when we lost 6-5 that the best PP of the year was with Torey Krug at the point ....Krug is the fastest skater among the Bruins D squad ...no doubt ...why not bring him up and use him only on the PP if this is what it takes...give him a few games and this kid will never go back to Providence...to many bad decisions among the B's management lately ...how can you expect to go far in the playoffs with players like the 3 stooges (PEV-PAND-THORN) .....the laugh of the NHL ..I am still tryng to understand the Pandolfo contract ...why in the world did we sign a player like that when we have so much talent in Providence ...the P-Bruins are 1st OVERALL in the AHL ....why not promote our young players I know its too late now but players like Spooner, Tardif, Cunningham and of course Krug desserve a bettre trial ...didnt Bourque get a 15-20 game trial ???   Now we are stocked going into the playoffs with Thornton-Pandolfo-Caron and PEV (ugliest deicision in the Bruins history...this guy skates really fast but never goes in the slot) ..and on top.. the badluck hit the B's with the lost of Bergy-Marchand ...I hope next season PC will take some important decisions and stop going with the oldies ..old legs (Thornton cant play in the NHL anymore...I dont think he would make the team with the P-Bruins and believe me I a serious) ....Pandolfo ( I would prefer to see Rene Rancourt with 2-3 months of practice he couldnt do worst) ....and the flying mosquito (PEV) has to go..we could package him with Chara and Looch and make a BLOCKBUSTER TRADE......for now with the injuries and the 3 stooges in the line up I dont see how the BRUINS could pass the 1st round this year , we will play NYI NY or the LEAFS ...Leafs started slow because they really went with the youngsters with their new GM ...great decision ...now it pays off.....PC decided to go with Pandolfo and Thornton ..DUH ...now we pay for those bad moves...Sorry guys thats how I feel now and in 3weeks from now you will all undertand what I meant ...give me this team and I guarantee a Stanley Cup next season ...but be prepared to see a much younger and exciting team ...So long..and now go ahead throw me the insults because I am telling the truth ...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

Teams have figured out that the B's have trouble with the all out forecheck, and that's a big part of it.

That pretty much sums it up right there, one example is lucic, alwys standing still to try and tip the short pass off the boards, the other teams D are pinching in on that system resulting in turnovers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

Opposing teams go right to where the forwards are set up on the breakout and then send in two forecheckers after the Bruins D. Juulien is not changing the set up to break out, teams are keying on this.

This concerns more than anything else right now. Younger, quicker teams are beating Bostons passes to the where the forwards are positioned to breakout. The Bruins will score with Bergeron and Marchand healthy but they won't if they are pinned in their own end.

Yeh Dog

In the Pitt game I swear the Pens were headed to the spot the puck was going before the pass even happened. It was as if they knew where to be just waiting for it. It was like a 5 on 5 PP most of that game. This is what has concerned me on the ice most of all. I don't think this team has been the same since that game, and it seems like other teams have figured that out and are exploiting it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

i think the league has adjusted to Cload's system and knows how to trap the Bruins in their own end. once in a while i would like to see Seguin or anybody for that matter just take off as soon as a d man gets the puck and force the opposition to back off.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Three things:

1. Forwards aren't doing much to get into skating lanes when backchecking. Of course the other team is going to send 1 guy flying and try to put pressure on the Boston defence, but the Bs forwards can't just give them a free pass. A little intereference wouldn't hurt.

2. Defence absolutely need to make quicker decisions with the puck. How many times have we seen Chara, Seidenberg, Ference, etc absorb checks with the puck still on their sticks.

3. Third guy high - on the beakout, the pass from defense to wing along the board has been fine, but the next guy hasn't been open with regularity to chip it out or pass up the middle and out. However, half the time they're not in position because #2 isn't working, so it kind of goes hand in hand.

#2 and #3 are chicken and egg, though.  I think a veteran defenseman (i.e. Chara, Seidenberg, Ference) is savvy enough to eat the puck rather than make a pass that he's not confident will connect.  What I see is guys looking up to where they expect their support to be, the forward isn't there, and they choose to eat the puck.  That also puts the support guy/puck carrier out of position.  When it works, that bang-bang play that goes D to W then tap pass to C or cross ice to the far W with speed almost always leads to a chance at the other end or a clean breakout and good possession at the far end.  When they aren't crisp, though, they get hemmed in for long stretches.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Maybe they need a PMD.

After reading fellow posters here, your comment is very clear. Sure would help if the forwards new that a reliable D man was going to move the puck up over at least the blue line on the way out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Maybe they need a PMD.

Think PC could lure Jonathan Girard out of retirement?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

Maybe they need a PMD.

Think PC could lure Jonathan Girard out of retirement?

Wow that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

What? Who knew teams could be successful with an aggressive forecheck? If I didn't know better I'd think you were Matlock. Hey, did you ever manage to solve the mystery of Rask vs the butterfly?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The support forwards are there but are being covered. Then the defenseman refuses to improvise becuase they are afraid of coffing the puck up. McQuaid, Boychuk, Seidenberg and at times Bartkowski try to shimy the puck up the boards when the forwards are covered.

Chara and Ference are the only two that will improvise on brealouts. If teams that face the Bruins in the playoffs watch last nights game they will be more than ready to face Boston.

Again not worried about goaltending nor scoring but the Bruins have been awful trying to get out of there own end. Maurice schooled Julien in 2009 with shutting off the defensive outlets and it will happen again if Capuano, Carlyle or Oates are Boston's opponents.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

The support forwards are there but are being covered. Then the defenseman refuses to improvise becuase they are afraid of coffing the puck up. McQuaid, Boychuk, Seidenberg and at times Bartkowski try to shimy the puck up the boards when the forwards are covered.

Chara and Ference are the only two that will improvise on brealouts. If teams that face the Bruins in the playoffs watch last nights game they will be more than ready to face Boston.

Again not worried about goaltending nor scoring but the Bruins have been awful trying to get out of there own end. Maurice schooled Julien in 2009 with shutting off the defensive outlets and it will happen again if Capuano, Carlyle or Oates are Boston's opponents.

Julien better start watching some game film too then.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

They've gone through this every year for the last 4.  They get off-track and their passing starts to stink the joint out.  Passes are late, so an open guy is now at least partiallly covered or pressured; passes are off just enough to take away momentum; passes are too soft and picked off.  Every year.  I can't recall what made it break the last few years, but they get it back, usually with a concentration on moving the puck quickly to a guy who has some momentum going through the neutral zone.

Forwards are just as guilty of the slowness, shupe.  How many times does the breakout break down on the wall just inside the blueline where a forward doesn't take a pass or doesn't move the puck quickly enough and gets jammed up?  And the pass to the guy who will carry the puck usually comes from that forward, not a D-man.

A fwd job is very simple.  Get in position.  A centers more difficult.  Without mobile puck moving dmen it does not matter.  Its starts with the dmen.  If they can't skate or pass it doesnt matter.  We have a very non mobile d-group in my opinion. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

All teams with good coaching will usually employ multiple "systems" during a series. This is due to the opposition doing the same thing. For example, the Bruins looked like they would be unable to sustain the Habs forecheck through the first 2 games in 2011. Same thing against both T-Bay and the Nucks. In all 3 series, CJ was forced to come up with a strategy to beat the systems being played against them. All 3 of the coaches against him tried to do likewise. That's why we saw 3 series that went the distance. Good teams that are well coached are hard to beat. "Systems" shouldn't be static. They need to constantly evolve or else your team becomes predictable and easy to defend. That's what you see when the Bruins go into what many of you consider to be a rut (5th overall). The team strategy you see now will go through many changes by the time they play a series deciding game. I'm not so worried about strategies at the moment because I distinctly remember the series winning goal vs T-Bay during the Cup run. That goal was a perfect example of one team beating another team's system. Short story long but the bottom line is that CJ is a tremendous coach. He's got the winning percentage and the hardware to back it up. He will have the team ready to play winning hockey when the time comes. Whether they play as well as they should will be up to the players. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

All teams with good coaching will usually employ multiple "systems" during a series. This is due to the opposition doing the same thing. For example, the Bruins looked like they would be unable to sustain the Habs forecheck through the first 2 games in 2011. Same thing against both T-Bay and the Nucks. In all 3 series, CJ was forced to come up with a strategy to beat the systems being played against them. All 3 of the coaches against him tried to do likewise. That's why we saw 3 series that went the distance. Good teams that are well coached are hard to beat. "Systems" shouldn't be static. They need to constantly evolve or else your team becomes predictable and easy to defend. That's what you see when the Bruins go into what many of you consider to be a rut (5th overall). The team strategy you see now will go through many changes by the time they play a series deciding game. I'm not so worried about strategies at the moment because I distinctly remember the series winning goal vs T-Bay during the Cup run. That goal was a perfect example of one team beating another team's system. Short story long but the bottom line is that CJ is a tremendous coach. He's got the winning percentage and the hardware to back it up. He will have the team ready to play winning hockey when the time comes. Whether they play as well as they should will be up to the players. 

Good pts all around  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Yes, the playoffs start in 18 days, lots of film to watch and lots of systems to break down. The Bruins and there staff will be ready when the show starts and like you said Dez whether the team plays as well as we know it can is up to them.I think they will.