Brendan Shanahan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Brendan Shanahan

Saw his explanations of the Shelly and Letourneau-Leblond suspensions on NHL.com. Got to say, I love it. Accountability from the top. What a concept.

Great job by Shanahan and the NHL.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Brendan Shanahan

seo,

couldnt agree more.  shanny explained it perfectly and based it on this incident and past performance re: Shelley.  Thankless job most of the time
    great job!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Brendan Shanahan:
    Saw his explanations of the Shelly and Letourneau-Leblond suspensions on NHL.com. Got to say, I love it. Accountability from the top. What a concept. Great job by Shanahan a.Posted by seobrien

Great post SE too bad Brendan wasn't on the job two years ago!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Hopefully he will be consistent. If Ovechkin delivers the same type of hit, 10 games, case closed. He is a repeat offender as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Yeah, I liked the way he explained it too.  But honestly, they NEED to start cracking down, repeat offender or not.  When guys KNOW the rules, and put someones health, career and life on the line by violating them, each suspension should get worse.  Next hit from behind, 5 games for a first time, 7-10+ for repeat offenders, etc.  Cooke hits someone from behind, its 25 games.  I dont know why the league is SO AFRAID to suspend guys who play and 82 game season.  And on top of forfeited pay, FINE THEM!!!!  Make the fine double what they are forfeitingat a minimum and go from there.  If Shelly does this again, he gets 15+ games depending on the severity, and if thats $200K in pay, fine him that much too.  Send a message and get the dirty crap out of the game already before we see someone get paralyzed or killed.

But at the same time, I say do the exact same thing for guys who intentionally turn their backs on the play.  If a player is against the boards and sees a hit coming and turns his back when the hitter is within 15 feet, HE gets the suspension and fine.  It would make a lot of the chickensh*t players take a hit like a man instead of putting themselves in a vulnerable position trying to draw a penalty.  Only problem:  The league doesnt hold those guys accountable and theyd NEVER do it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Brendan Shanahan:
    Yeah, I liked the way he explained it too.  But honestly, they NEED to start cracking down, repeat offender or not.  When guys KNOW the rules, and put someones health, career and life on the line by violating them, each suspension should get worse.  Next hit from behind, 5 games for a first time, 7-10+ for repeat offenders, etc.  Cooke hits someone from behind, its 25 games.  I dont know why the league is SO AFRAID to suspend guys who play and 82 game season.  And on top of forfeited pay, FINE THEM!!!!  Make the fine double what they are forfeitingat a minimum and go from there.  If Shelly does this again, he gets 15+ games depending on the severity, and if thats $200K in pay, fine him that much too.  Send a message and get the dirty crap out of the game already before we see someone get paralyzed or killed. But at the same time, I say do the exact same thing for guys who intentionally turn their backs on the play.  If a player is against the boards and sees a hit coming and turns his back when the hitter is within 15 feet, HE gets the suspension and fine.  It would make a lot of the chickensh*t players take a hit like a man instead of putting themselves in a vulnerable position trying to draw a penalty.  Only problem:  The league doesnt hold those guys accountable and theyd NEVER do it.
    Posted by bigvig

I'm not so sure about that second part, but what should get an extra penalty is when a really good hit gets delivered and immediately someone tries to fight the guy who gave out the good hit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

vig- the fear is that they'd get sued and lose.  Or that the punishment would get appealed, overturned, and make the league look even more toothless.  Disciplinary powers are part of the collective bargaining process, so the league doesn't get to make it up.  The players have to agree to the powers the league can then use, and I don't think they'll ever agree to a disciplinary system where a guy can lose the kind of salary you're talking about for one bad decision.

Same coin, other side, is why Shanahan can come in guns blazing.  He is/was the head of the competition committee, so he's 'plugged in' to both players and league.  Within the scope of the powers he has as head of discipline, he has an opportunity to set some new precedents and stick to them.  And yeah, it's one thing to throw the book at these two idiots (to me, it didn't look like Shelley blew the guy up - bad enough to suspend but not a clear attempt to injure).  It will be another when Ovechkin makes a bad decision, or hey...Lucic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I've watched a few pre season games now and it's getting out of hand how much they are over reacting with the head shots and the hitting from behind.I understand the refs have been ordered but I've seen some ridiculous calls so far.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They did the same thing with "obstruction" back when they ran that little experiment where any little thing that impeded a player without the puck could be called "obstruction" at the ref's discretion - or so it seemed.  That first half year, they called "obstruction, breathing" and "obstruction, thinking" two or three times a game.  Same thing here.  Hammer home the message so players are more apt to consciously change their behaviour then ease off until the playoffs when players will once again roam freely and level opponents with shoulder checks to the base of the skull.

Then next year, they'll find middle ground.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I've watched a few pre season games now and it's getting out of hand how much they are over reacting with the head shots and the hitting from behind.I understand the refs have been ordered but I've seen some ridiculous calls so far.
    Posted by kelvana33

Almost no hitting in the pre-season game I went and watch.  Sure the regulars don't go out there to hit but some of the kids trying make a name for themselves usually play a little harder.
    I was thinking about your point also. Players also being careful to new ruling ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Players union is part of the league.  They are a HUGE part of the problem.  Double standard hypocrites.....but that shouldnt be a shock:  Its the players UNION!  I think it will honestly take a death (and we might see it in the next 10 years at this rate) for everyone to pull their heads out of their a$$es.  I dont think things would change a whole lot if we even saw someone paralyzed.  Look at the star players who have been lost to injury due to dirty plays in recent years:  Crosby, Savard, Neely, Lindros, Primeau, Kariya all come to mind without having to think about it. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Sadly, neither a death nor paralysis will change as much as some thing when pondering the question of what it will take for everyone to pull in the same direction.  More than one kid with a dream has been paralyzed on their way to the pros, and that hasn't changed the pro game.  The NFL has seen pros paralyzed and even killed - only now are they legislating against kill shots on "vulnerable" players.  And there's plenty of backlash.

The only way this changes is an interventionist government or judiciary saying that the usual "they knew the risks" argument only goes so far.  I'm not sure I want to see that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

Shanny is the NHL's version of Jesus Christ right now

Everyone is in love with him because he replaced Colin Campbell.  Just give it time.  He will make some rulings that tick off enough fans and the honey moon will be over.

They could be the complete right calls, doesn't matter.  There will be home fans crying that it was too harsh or too lenient if it doesn't go the way they want, and they will be calling for his head.  Because that's what sports fans do.  Especially hockey fans

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I'm going to catch some flack here for this, but it needs to be stated, that it's definitely a good thing for the League's credibility to have someone without a clear conflict of interest making these rulings now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I'm going to catch some flack here for this, but it needs to be stated, that it's definitely a good thing for the League's credibility to have someone without a clear conflict of interest making these rulings now.
    Posted by 49-North

Excuse me? Shanny played with half the detorit roster.  That to me would be a pretty big conflict? If it was a Campy dig its a pretty poor one.  Try harder next time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

No kidding.  But what do you expect from a Canucks fan.  Its ALWAYS someone elses fault.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

No kidding.  But what do you expect from a Canucks fan.  Its ALWAYS someone elses fault.
    Posted by bigvig

Big, He actually does offer something.  He has to let go of the sour grapes though.  Shanny played for how many teams and different players still around the league.  I think Shanny so far has done a good job.  Its a thankless position and you can't please everyone. 
    I mean COOKE had another boarding penalty this week.  So much for being changed.  Cooke sees numbers and its open season.  Not hard to tell he played a good chunk as a Canuck. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

My point was basically, if Canucks fans STILL think there was league-wide collusion for the Bruins to win due to Colin Campbell, then what about Shanny who played with SO MANY GUYS in the league today.

PS:  If the collusion theory is true, it means the Canucks were in on it and took a HUGE dive.  23-8 wasnt it?  Yeah, Colin, Bettmen and the other idiots in the offices really did that.  Its not like the PP's were 100-1 for the Bruins over 7 games.  Matter of fact, didnt the mighty Canucks have more PP's in the series?  Yeah, collusion alright.  Collusion on the part of the Canucks to show no heart and roll over dead when facing a team that wouldnt allow them to play the game they wanted.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Brendan Shanahan : Big, He actually does offer something.  He has to let go of the sour grapes though.  Shanny played for how many teams and different players still around the league.  I think Shanny so far has done a good job.  Its a thankless position and you can't please everyone.  I mean COOKE had another boarding penalty this week.  So much for being changed.  Cooke sees numbers and its open season.  Not hard to tell he played a good chunk as a Canuck. 
    Posted by shuperman

What if a former Team Canada teammate like Iginla or Pronger lays a questionable hit? I agree with you guys. 49 is being naive if he thinks the "appearance" of any conflicts of interest is suddenly now gone because Shanny is at the helm. Some fans will always have issues with the legnth of any suspension and some fans will always choose to believe there's some ulterior motive behind it. As you said, can't please everybody. I do think the majority of people will be pleased with the job he does though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

My point was basically, if Canucks fans STILL think there was league-wide collusion for the Bruins to win due to Colin Campbell, then what about Shanny who played with SO MANY GUYS in the league today. PS:  If the collusion theory is true, it means the Canucks were in on it and took a HUGE dive.  23-8 wasnt it?  Yeah, Colin, Bettmen and the other idiots in the offices really did that.  Its not like the PP's were 100-1 for the Bruins over 7 games.  Matter of fact, didnt the mighty Canucks have more PP's in the series?  Yeah, collusion alright.  Collusion on the part of the Canucks to show no heart and roll over dead when facing a team that wouldnt allow them to play the game they wanted.
    Posted by bigvig

Its not the WWE.

The better team won.  Van should be embarrased about that team, idiot non-fans who destroyed a city and realize their golden chance is gone.  They are a worse team than last year and all the other teams in the West got better.  And the blue print on Van is very easy to read. Pound their wimpy little behinds and they fold.  It would be like cheering for the Dutch at the Olympics.  How can you like that team?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Brendan Shanahan : What if a former Team Canada teammate like Iginla or Pronger lays a questionable hit? I agree with you guys. 49 is being naive if he thinks the "appearance" of any conflicts of interest is suddenly now gone because Shanny is at the helm. Some fans will always have issues with the legnth of any suspension and some fans will always choose to believe there's some ulterior motive behind it. As you said, can't please everybody. I do think the majority of people will be pleased with the job he does though.
    Posted by dezaruchi

dez,

he has the respect of the players.  and when he played he surely crossed the lines at times so he has that on his side as well.  The players have already been singing his praises.  Shelley pretty much hit himself into a buyout and out of the league forever.  And thats a good thing. 
    I have no doubt that he would lay the law on anyone.  I really like him in that position.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

I, for one, am all for what Shanahan is attempting to do. This is not the 70's anymore. Players and their equipment are bigger now then they ever were. Add this to the increase in speed of the game and borderline hits are much more dangerous now. There is simply no place in the game for hits like Shelley's on Boyce or Rome's on Horton. If the crackdown means some questionable suspensions here and there then so be it.

By the way, getting rid of the instigator rule will not help either. If this happened all you would see is a bunch of thugs like Gillies, Scott, and Koci mugging skilled players without provocation. And this is coming from a fan of the rough stuff. I am willing to wait and see if Shanahan's crackdown achieves some measure of success.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I, for one, am all for what Shanahan is attempting to do. This is not the 70's anymore. Players and their equipment are bigger now then they ever were. Add this to the increase in speed of the game and borderline hits are much more dangerous now. There is simply no place in the game for hits like Shelley's on Boyce or Rome's on Horton. If the crackdown means some questionable suspensions here and there then so be it. By the way, getting rid of the instigator rule will not help either. If this happened all you would see is a bunch of thugs like Gillies, Scott, and Koci mugging skilled players without provocation. And this is coming from a fan of the rough stuff. I am willing to wait and see if Shanahan's crackdown achieves some measure of success.....
    Posted by jaywall

Dont agree on the instigator comment.  Instigator would have meant cooke would have had to deal with his hits a long time ago.  Guess when all the issues started with head hunting.  I dont think its by fluke.  And instead of goons mugging these star players you have Cooke's who dont have to answer the bell. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Brendan Shanahan : Dont agree on the instigator comment.  Instigator would have meant cooke would have had to deal with his hits a long time ago.  Guess when all the issues started with head hunting.  I dont think its by fluke.  And instead of goons mugging these star players you have Cooke's who dont have to answer the bell. 
    Posted by shuperman

I agree with you somewhat but "headhunting" has been in the game long before the instigator rule. In Cooke's case the only difference would have been that he would fight someone immediatly after the hit, likely by Lucic since he was the only one on the ice to do it, rather than a few weeks later as he did when he fought Thornton. Really not much of a deterance. The tragedy of the whole Cooke-Savard incident was the lack of any league discipline, not that he delayed his fight for another time.

Just my opinion though.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Brendan Shanahan : I agree with you somewhat but "headhunting" has been in the game long before the instigator rule. In Cooke's case the only difference would have been that he would fight someone immediatly after the hit, likely by Lucic since he was the only one on the ice to do it, rather than a few weeks later as he did when he fought Thornton. Really not much of a deterance. The tragedy of the whole Cooke-Savard incident was the lack of any league discipline, not that he delayed his fight for another time. Just my opinion though.....
    Posted by jaywall

Yes it has been.  BUT, Cooke would not be doing it for a career.  He has made a career out of it.  Name me how many times Gretzky ever got that treatment w/o Semenko killing someone or Messier delivering an elbow to the head of someone. 
    You allow the instigator so that the players can police themselves.  I am a strong believer as soon as this happened the league empowered all these rats who know they can hide behind the same rule that gives them their pay cheque

Sections
Shortcuts