Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1111058--brian-burke-troubled-by-state-of-nhl-after-demoting-colton-orr

When word of Orr being placed on waivers came out yesterday, being unclaimed then subsequentely sent to the Marlies it sparked a lot of early chatter in Toronto's sports media circles about Burke changing his tune about truculence, testosterone and belligerence being an essential part of his teams.  Lucic and Thornton, in his role as team tough guy were used as examples of players who can do more than just fight.  The term two-way enforcer was used to describe Thornton in particular.

On THE FAN 590 there was even discussion about the NHL appearing to be a league of hypocrisy in that it professes concern about headshots yet allows fighting in which hard blows to the head can occur.  If anything Burke's comments show he has not changed his position on fighting and those who had him sized for a different point of view jumped the gun.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr

I'm more worried about an NHL with a roster spot for Colton Orr, than one without one.  I'm sure Orr is a good guy, but if Toronto wants to fight for a playoff spot they need to worry more about talent than beating guys up, as it should be.

Like Burke (and to paraphrase him), I value and enjoy players who are truculent, bellicose, pugnacious, belligerent, (deep breath) quarrelsome, cantankerous, mean and confrontational.  But I like skilled hockey players who can do that.  Not thugs.

Toughness is good, but only when combined with skill.  Perhaps Burke has been watching the Bruins and seeing how well one works with the other.  Toronto has too many soft finesse players and then total thugs, and not enough guys right in the middle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

he's just miffed because no team was willing to take Orr's contract off his hands....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

It amazes this fan to think some criticize fighting in hockey when the league is getting tough on head shots.  The NFL on the front line has more head on head shots than in any sport.  So where is the criticism????, lost in a media who does not a thing about the sport of hockey! Colton Orr was not a good hockey player that is why the Bs dumped him.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr:
    [QUOTE]I'm more worried about an NHL with a roster spot for Colton Orr, than one without one.  I'm sure Orr is a good guy, but if Toronto wants to fight for a playoff spot they need to worry more about talent than beating guys up, as it should be. Like Burke (and to paraphrase him), I value and enjoy players who are truculent, bellicose, pugnacious, belligerent, (deep breath) quarrelsome, cantankerous, mean and confrontational.  But I like skilled hockey players who can do that.  Not thugs. Toughness is good, but only when combined with skill.  Perhaps Burke has been watching the Bruins and seeing how well one works with the other.  Toronto has too many soft finesse players and then total thugs, and not enough guys right in the middle.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Fletch - Bang on.  Doug Maclean and ex-Ranger GM Neil Smith could not speak highly enough of Lucic and his mix of skill and toughness.  I can't recall which of the two on-air guys used the two way enforcer term when describing Thornton but both saw the league heading this way instead of the designated tough guy who is minimally skilled, plays just a few minutes per game and takes up a spot on the roster. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

I am "troubled" that BB has a problem with getting rid of a $1 million dollar benchwarmer with concussion problems.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr:
    [QUOTE]I am "troubled" that BB has a problem with getting rid of a $1 million dollar benchwarmer with concussion problems.
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

jaywall - I hear you.  It would appear Orr has not been the same player since his concussion from the fight with Parros.  Not at, as you said, $1 mill per.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr : jaywall - I hear you.  It would appear Orr has not been the same player since his concussion from the fight with Parros.  Not at, as you said, $1 mill per.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am thinking this is more about Burke being a little miffed at himself for signing Orr to that 4 year (at $1mill per) contract. That's almost $200,00 more than Thornton who scored more goals last year than Orr has in his career. Now with old "Colt 45" likely unable to even fight, he is literally the most useless man in the NHL. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I am not a Burke fan but he is exactly right.  The league is letting these players run around and do this.  I have been saying its the league and it is.  Let the players police themselves.  Orr is no different than Thornton or any other meathead.  They are there for a reason.  Problem is they can't be used b/c the way the league is run.

Everyday we talk about this.  Every night a new hit.  Let the players clean this garbage up.  The league isnt protecting the players at all.  Bourque's hit was so obvious.  Give him 10 games.  Next time double it.  Next time a year suspension.  3 strike rule.  OR let the meatheads do what they do. 
    Boston is different than most teams.  The entire team has an element of hard nosed.  Most teams dont have that.  

My big issue is the frequency.  Its every night and sometimes more than one.  The league is a joke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I am troubled that meaningless press conferences from a GM of a mediocre-at-best team get national coverage.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Burke has always portrayed himself to the media as being a loyal GM. My impression of this is that it's just a little song and dance by him correcting a signing mistake by him and having to put Orr on waivers making him look disloyal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]Burke has always portrayed himself to the media as being a loyal GM. My impression of this is that it's just a little song and dance by him correcting a signing mistake by him and having to put Orr on waivers making him look disloyal.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Bingo!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I think everyone is missing the meaning of his rant.  His rant showed exclusive hits to numerous players.  Nothing was done on the ice.  The rats as he said run the league and are putting stars out.  We have had ours hammered.  Savy done. Bergie one bad elbow away.  When it happens maybe then the Burke rant wont seem so bad.  I concur with everything he said.  The league is a joke.  He likely gets fined.  Good for him.   If AF can say it a GM who played the game when this stuff was handled properly should be able to.  Good for you BB

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]I think everyone is missing the meaning of his rant.  His rant showed exclusive hits to numerous players.  Nothing was done on the ice.  The rats as he said run the league and are putting stars out.  We have had ours hammered.  Savy done. Bergie one bad elbow away.  When it happens maybe then the Burke rant wont seem so bad.  I concur with everything he said.  The league is a joke.  He likely gets fined.  Good for him.   If AF can say it a GM who played the game when this stuff was handled properly should be able to.  Good for you BB
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

You mean the man who drafted Jarkko Ruutu and has "Mr. borderline hit" Colby Armstrong on his team is complaining about every other team's so-called "rats"?

Yes, good for you BB. You have shown us how to be a class 1 hypocrite.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

He also had a very tough team in Anaheim.  Every team has so so players in terms of dirty edge.  His point is perfectly spoken and his team has avoided a lot of the head shots.  He is complaining from a league level more than his team. 
    Again, our team can handle and throw down but we also have a lot of guys in the media.  And if AF who is an avg player in the league and has delivered debateable hits why can't a GM?
    I agree with BB 100%.  The league is a joke.  Can't wait to see who gets drilled tonight by a dirty elbow or cheap hit. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

As much as I'm not a fan of BB I agree.  I wish more GM's would speak up. 

World was up in arms when Rome Tattooed Horton.  Get the crap outta the league by letting the players deal with it.

Mark Howe- Brett Hull- Briane Burke all had very good takes on this. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr:[QUOTE]I am "troubled" that BB has a problem with getting rid of a $1 million dollar benchwarmer with concussion problems. Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

Well said Walter

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]I am troubled that meaningless press conferences from a GM of a mediocre-at-best team get national coverage.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

red - Only here in Toronto could the team be 45 years between Cups yet remain so embeded in the public consciousness.  It's all-Leafs all the time.  They're a year-round industry.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Jay, Red, Days and Chowdah- You all nailed it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr : red - Only here in Toronto could the team be 45 years between Cups yet remain so embeded in the public consciousness.  It's all-Leafs all the time.  They're a year-round industry.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

its not just toronto.  they are the yankees of the hockey world...its crazy...if they ever win the cup they will make vans riot look like a daycare party

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Jay, Red, Days and Chowdah- You all nailed it.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Did Burke say something wrong?  Bet Savy agrees with him as does the next bruin casualty...lets go revisit the Rome-Horton hit thread...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr : its not just toronto.  they are the yankees of the hockey world...its crazy...if they ever win the cup they will make vans riot look like a daycare party
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

shupe - True enough.  I still recall how folks would go bananas downtown after the Leafs would win ONE playoff game.  That is, when they qualified for the playoffs some seasons ago.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

[QUOTE]I am troubled that meaningless press conferences from a GM of a mediocre-at-best team get national coverage.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

yes Red, you smell a red herring indeed ! Burke is a trailblazer who luvs pugs. This looks like lawyer obfuscation to me... Orr's career is done after the Stache KOd him last year. The sensitivity around concussions is so tense right now that Burke doesn't want to risk Orr getting F'd up for good in a fight a/o he's lost his effectiveness. Had someone else picked him up when he was waived ( no one did b/c of this concern ), I suspect Burke keeps his mouth shut.... Seems he's trying to blame the pacifists and the league for Orr's career going into the tank.... Devils had 2 pugs dressed last night and Clarkson, so his assertions that teams can't carry a DH or two isn't borne out by what's occurring out there....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Brian Burke works the media to his advantage. If some can't see that there's a method to his madness concerning these orchestrated rants then you are missing something. His latest rant was to make himself and his team look like a victim ( for making Orr his first signing of the Leafs ) when the NHL was already headed in a different direction in regards to having just players who can only fight and do nothing else.

He's blaming the league when his signing of Orr was antiquated at the time and he just didn't recognize it. Take a bow Burke, another mistake by you deflected elsewhere.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Burke makes a valid point. Don't take the message out of context. There is a significant increase in cheap shots that are not being countered because retaliation is easier to spot. The Bruins are unique in their toughness and sticking up for each other, which limits the sneaky shots, although they still occur. How often do we watch a Bruins player respond to an action the refs have missed. Look at how McQuaid stood up for his partner AF, that's Bruins hockey, and other teams know it. Eliminate the "instigator" and we might see the cheap shots reduced. Don Cherry has called it "European/Swedish" as he watched butt ends and in the back, behind the play action, that stimulates retaliation. Burke now sees that becoming elbow and shoulder hits with pads that are hard as steel.