Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Re: Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr

In response to "Re: Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr":
    Burke makes a valid point. Don't take the message out of context. There is a significant increase in cheap shots that are not being countered because retaliation is easier to spot. The Bruins are unique in their toughness and sticking up for each other, which limits the sneaky shots, although they still occur. How often do we watch a Bruins player respond to an action the refs have missed. Look at how McQuaid stood up for his partner AF, that's Bruins hockey, and other teams know it. Eliminate the "instigator" and we might see the cheap shots reduced. Don Cherry has called it "European/Swedish" as he watched butt ends and in the back, behind the play action, that stimulates retaliation. Burke now sees that becoming elbow and shoulder hits with pads that are hard as steel. Posted by bogie6
    You are right on. The instigator rule has led to the rise of the rat player and furthermore encourages all players to be rats when they when they feel fit because the rule protects them. Do away with the instigator rule and cheap shots may be reduced. Regarding Orr, the league has been trying to get rid of pure goons for years. At one time Orr was considered a good skater and forechecker for a tough guy. Apparently those skills have eroded and now his only value is his fists. Even those are now questionable with his recent concussion. Thorton is the model tough guys in this NHL. Does the job and can play hockey regardless of his goal output. That's why he has gotten many props from most on this board over the years. Bruins should renew him before the year is up and keep him out of free agency as they have with others.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

The majority of head shots happen, because of blind side hits and the player isnt expecting it. So its a matter of protectings oneself, which doesnt happen, based on what I mentioned above.....When fights occur both players are engaged and protecting themselves as best they can. They know what is coming.... So, a fist to the face is technically a head shot, but I think its separate from hits during the play. Fights are part of the game and should remain. They can change the momentum. And you dont see too many concussions from fights.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr:
    Brian Burke works the media to his advantage. If some can't see that there's a method to his madness concerning these orchestrated rants then you are missing something. His latest rant was to make himself and his team look like a victim ( for making Orr his first signing of the Leafs ) when the NHL was already headed in a different direction in regards to having just players who can only fight and do nothing else. He's blaming the league when his signing of Orr was antiquated at the time and he just didn't recognize it. Take a bow Burke, another mistake by you deflected elsewhere.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Everyone works the media to their advantage....and yes, he's ticked at having Orr on the books for too much money.  But...that's not his only message.  He's also pointing out the "culture/rules" issue, of teammates not responding harshly enough to cheap hits.
     Love em or hate em...he's absolutely right. Pro sport is a jungle game. Rules of the jungle, are the most logical. There was only one reason Gretzky got as much room from opposing players. Those unfamiliar with the game would call it respect. Those that know the game realize it was simply fear of retribution.
    Where I disagree with BB, is that it's all the league's doing.  Coaches,
     GM's can strategize better in ensuring justice is doled out, AND, the front line...the root cause is the players.  For some reason, no one is pointing the finger at them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Burke "troubled" By State Of NHL After Demoting Colton Orr:
    I'm more worried about an NHL with a roster spot for Colton Orr, than one without one.  I'm sure Orr is a good guy, but if Toronto wants to fight for a playoff spot they need to worry more about talent than beating guys up, as it should be. Like Burke (and to paraphrase him), I value and enjoy players who are truculent, bellicose, pugnacious, belligerent, (deep breath) quarrelsome, cantankerous, mean and confrontational.  But I like skilled hockey players who can do that.  Not thugs. Toughness is good, but only when combined with skill.  Perhaps Burke has been watching the Bruins and seeing how well one works with the other.  Toronto has too many soft finesse players and then total thugs, and not enough guys right in the middle.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Your missing the point! There will be no skilled hockey players left. The skilled ones are super fast and are hurting each other recklessly without reprecussions of nothing more than a penalty of a $2500 fine. There will be no skilled players left in 10 years at this pace. See Crosby, Savard...etc.. Brad Marchand and his slew foot is a perfect example. He should of been held accountable or at least known he would have to be accountable for his cheap shot before he does that crap.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Bottom line, Orr is a one dimensional goon that has been concussed more than once and can no longer take a punch. Burke was an idiot to overpay him long term and wants everyone to think the NHL is to blame. That's BS. If Colton had any hockey skill at all he would still be on the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradyfan1972. Show Bradyfan1972's posts

he's just miffed because no team was willing to take Orr's contract off his hands....
    Posted by days-of-Orr

No dummy. Orr makes peanuts, i million per year, and his demotion means his salary won't count against the cap. Toronto is the most valuable and profitable franchise in the NHL, so his salary is of absolutely NO CONCERN whatsoever to Burke or the Leafs organization.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Boy, I come down right in the middle on some of this debate.  I think Burke has a valid point about the hits and what not, but I also think this rant is conspicuously self-serving.  The Orr situation is quite simple.  A bad contract to begin with by Burke and now the guy is virually useless so Burke must dump him, no matter how 'loyal' he wants to be.  Somehow he rationalizes that Orr's predicament is a result of a league wide problem, and not just a stupid signing amid a poorly constructed team.

Burke's point has merit.  I just wish it was made by someone without such an agenda to spread the blame around on his own mistake with Orr.

It's like people complaining that the police are too oppressive the day after they get a speeding ticket.  Seems motivated by Burke's own self-interest.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Fletch - when I saw Burke's rant last night on Sportscentre I admit that I agreed with every point he made about the League...but I didn't consider the Leafs actions earlier in the day & his veiled references to the them having to let go an expensive Colton Orr because he can't contribute on the scoresheet consistently.

TV sound bites can really skew perception if improperly presented...or taken out of context.

I think it was Milbury (after Tortorella's rant) that said (paraphrasing) "Hey, It's tough when a coach is thrown in front of the media...(blah, blah)...he probably regets his comments..."
    Tortorella said his comments about the Winter Classic refereeing at the post game podium with plenty of time to pick his words.

MM might have only read JT's comments and thought they were spoken in the heat of the moment.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Boy, I come down right in the middle on some of this debate.  I think Burke has a valid point about the hits and what not, but I also think this rant is conspicuously self-serving.  The Orr situation is quite simple.  A bad contract to begin with by Burke and now the guy is virually useless so Burke must dump him, no matter how 'loyal' he wants to be.  Somehow he rationalizes that Orr's predicament is a result of a league wide problem, and not just a stupid signing amid a poorly constructed team. Burke's point has merit.  I just wish it was made by someone without such an agenda to spread the blame around on his own mistake with Orr. It's like people complaining that the police are too oppressive the day after they get a speeding ticket.  Seems motivated by Burke's own self-interest.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Post of the thread by far . Part of Toronto's media jumped all over this one and pointed this out.

It's no coincidence that the Orr dumping and his state of the NHL address came together in the same speech . Well thought out by him ! A brilliant way of making like he had no choice to do this ( dump Orr ) because of .... how the league was changing when the change had started to evolve long before Orr was signed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

two words....self-serving. he should stop being so concerned with the state of the league, and start being concerned with his team making the playoffs. the guy just comes across as being slimy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

When a GM who never met a microphone he didn't love speaks in the centre of the hockey universe, it's gonna be news.  No matter what he says, no matter what the subject.  When it's something that's a current hot-button topic, the national media will also jump all over it.  To me, it's Burkie's way of deflecting the attention away from a questionable signing, with a "what's the league coming to" messaging. 

To me, it's ludicrous to suggest that Rene Bourque would be more concerned about the deterrence value of a 90-second fight vs. losing over $200,000 of salary in a suspension.  Money talks, and if that's what it takes to get these types of hits out of the game, then I'm all for ramping up the suspension lengths for repeat offenders like Bourque and Carcillo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

When a GM who never met a microphone he didn't love speaks in the centre of the hockey universe, it's gonna be news.  No matter what he says, no matter what the subject.  When it's something that's a current hot-button topic, the national media will also jump all over it.  To me, it's Burkie's way of deflecting the attention away from a questionable signing, with a "what's the league coming to" messaging.  To me, it's ludicrous to suggest that Rene Bourque would be more concerned about the deterrence value of a 90-second fight vs. losing over $200,000 of salary in a suspension.  Money talks, and if that's what it takes to get these types of hits out of the game, then I'm all for ramping up the suspension lengths for repeat offenders like Bourque and Carcillo.
    Posted by 49-North

49 - The self-proclaimed centre of the hockey universe.  I've heard that claim for years from various announcers on THE FAN 590 and other Toronto sports media outlets.

Sections
Shortcuts