Brian Dumoulin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Brian Dumoulin

Not really a huge deal, but Dumoulin is making his NHL debut for the Penguins tonight. As someone from Maine it's fun to see someone born in this state make it to the NHL, since so few athletes born in Maine make it professionaly. Not sure if anyone else here is from Maine, but it should be fun to watch. Apparantly only five players from Maine have played in the NHL, and they didn't really have any success. Thought it was pretty surprising so few players from Maine had played in the NHL, but I guess the low population and lack of resources and competition is part of the reason.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Brian Dumoulin

In response to Bisson1's comment:

Not really a huge deal, but Dumoulin is making his NHL debut for the Penguins tonight. As someone from Maine it's fun to see someone born in this state make it to the NHL, since so few athletes born in Maine make it professionaly. Not sure if anyone else here is from Maine, but it should be fun to watch. Apparantly only five players from Maine have played in the NHL, and they didn't really have any success. Thought it was pretty surprising so few players from Maine had played in the NHL, but I guess the low population and lack of resources and competition is part of the reason.

Maine Black Bears have produced some NHL 'ers, most notably Paul Kariya. I know that isn't an example of a Maine born product but they do have a good hockey program there. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Maine Black Bears have produced some NHL 'ers, most notably Paul Kariya. I know that isn't an example of a Maine born product but they do have a good hockey program there. 

Yeah, I believe Dustin Penner, Gustav Nyquist, Ben Bishop, and Jimmy Howard are also former UMaine players. It's hard to really follow the hockey program living in the southern part of the state though, unfortunately, but it sounds like it's really improved this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

What's the over under on when he first whines about something or other? He's undergoing his crybaby orientation as we speak. Led by Mario and Cindy of course. I'll give him some credit for being a Mainiac so I'll say half way through the 3rd period.  :P

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Seeing Paul Kariya at ice level, in North Andover, playing against Merrimack was awesome. I'll never forget how much better he was than anybody in the building. Incredible talent!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Seeing Paul Kariya at ice level, in North Andover, playing against Merrimack was awesome. I'll never forget how much better he was than anybody in the building. Incredible talent!

Great skater & amazing wrister, maybe not Joe Sakic amazing but great nonetheless.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Im a bit surprised as well at how few Mainers have made the NHL. Never really thought about it before, just sort of assumed there were more. The number should go up eventually as the number of American born players grows. It's at almost 25% which is up drastically from even just a little over a decade ago when it was about 15%. When the B's won cups in '70 and '72 the percentage was something like 5%. It's not that long ago that Bobby Carpenter was a big deal because he was from the U.S. and actually good. So if people in Maine are playing hockey we should see a few more hit the NHL someday. Maybe one of them will be really good, too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I wonder WTL if it is how the powerhouse college programs recruit. Is it worth a trip too a rural area too see a kid from Northern New England ?

Meaning they can go take a ride to see Avon, Mt. Saint Charles, Matignon, Thayer Academy etc. Where they perceive that is where the real talent is...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I wonder WTL if it is how the powerhouse college programs recruit. Is it worth a trip too a rural area too see a kid from Northern New England ?

Meaning they can go take a ride to see Avon, Mt. Saint Charles, Matignon, Thayer Academy etc. Where they perceive that is where the real talent is...

That could be. But I figure some kid from Maine could end up playing for Mt. SC, St. Sebs or some prep school more on the beaten path and get scouted for a decent college program or hit the Canadian Jrs on his way to the NHL. Maybe he's from Portland area....not too far away really. Not like Caribou or some place where you need a half track and a guide with 3 teeth to help you find the place :P

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

That could be. But I figure some kid from Maine could end up playing for Mt. SC, St. Sebs or some prep school more on the beaten path and get scouted for a decent college program or hit the Canadian Jrs on his way to the NHL. Maybe he's from Portland area....not too far away really. Not like Caribou or some place where you need a half track and a guide with 3 teeth to help you find the place :P

These guys are very, very knowledgable and have a built in homing guide.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

Im a bit surprised as well at how few Mainers have made the NHL. Never really thought about it before, just sort of assumed there were more. The number should go up eventually as the number of American born players grows. It's at almost 25% which is up drastically from even just a little over a decade ago when it was about 15%. When the B's won cups in '70 and '72 the percentage was something like 5%. It's not that long ago that Bobby Carpenter was a big deal because he was from the U.S. and actually good. So if people in Maine are playing hockey we should see a few more hit the NHL someday. Maybe one of them will be really good, too.

Yeah, just did a quick look at the HHOF records, and Dumoulin is only the sixth Maine born player in NHL history. That really surprised me given the hockey culture in New England.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Damn, looks like he's a healthy scratch. Like Boston the Penguins seem to have a lot of depth on D. Hopefully he gets in at some point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This was my thought also.  If the kid is awesome, but plays for Old Town High (that's a real town name in Maine, Old Town...idiots), who would ever know?  No one is going there for any reason.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I remember going to the 1993 Hockey East championship at the old Garden -- Maine Black Bears vs. BU.

That Maine team had Kariya, Mike Dunham, Garth Snow, Jim Montgomery, and the Ferraro brothers.  I think all 6 played NHL games.

Don't forget Teddy Purcell!

Another one I remember is Niko Dimitrakos from Somerville.  Good NHL player for a very short period.

Love Hockey East.  Good for Dumoulin.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Yeah, if it's a school outside of the Portland area, or Lewiston/Auburn it's unlikely. I went to one of the largest high schools in the state, and everyone who tried out made the hockey team, so I'd imagine it's hard to really assess talent when they are playing against weak competition. It would definitely be hard to get attention in most parts of the state.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I hope the USHL uses a different approach than some of the college recruiters. Kids in all areas should be looked at.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I played against the black bears when pauls brother was there.  What a great atmosphere they had.   They were fast, hard hitting and they always seem to have a solid program.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Spent many years at Coach Walsh's summer hockey camps up at UMaine. Very cool to get training from guys like Montgomery, Dunham, Snow, Carney, Kariya, Pellerin, Weinrich, Roy and the rest of those early 90s teams. I had to laugh as NAS' comment...as one summer they were renovating Alfond Arena and we had to play at a rink in, you guessed it, Old Town.

It's always a big deal when someone from a Maine HS actually makes the UMO team, let alone the NHL. I played against some really talented high schoolers, but none sniffed the pro level. We'd clean up at the State level, then get systematically crushed by the Mass prep schools.

Anyway, hope Dumoulin gets his chance and makes something of it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

Great thread. I live in Downeast Maine (near MDI) and for some reason, youth hockey doesnt even exist here. There are no rinks, even of the outdoor variety like we had in Bangor when I was a kid (pre-Sawyer Arena days). Played some games indoors on the Alfond Ice, Kennebec and at Old Town (which I think is now gone) and some outdoor ones...Millinocket comes to mind. My skill level probably wasn't worth my parents investment for a UMO camp, but I did manage to get a week at St. Andrews N.B. one summer which was awesome. Good to see a Maine boy make the big show!

Sections
Shortcuts