Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now--

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now--

Okay, with the addition of Brian Rolston me and my buddy got to talking about his shot, which has turned into a debate. For those of you who have debated with me here, you know I think I'm always right, cause as I tell my wife, how can we both be right when I know I am!!! LOL,

He states he'd love to see Brian Rolston in the hardest shot contest and while he may not win, he'd hold his own. My argument was, and i do think he'd registar high but i think he's one of those guys who has a harder shot in game action, like a Brett Hull or Steven Stamkos. he says theres no way one can shoot harder in a game and not in a contest where he has time to step into it. I think it's hard to explain but i thought people in here would know what i mean...So, what do you think...

Also, no going against me just because of my avatar or the fact you'd love to prove me wrong!!! Hoping NAS, Fletch,Chowda, Shupe (if he's alive) and Dez chime in along with the rest tof you..

SIDE NOTE: If I'm in a debate with you on here, please don't take it personal, no matter what i say...It's all in good fun, plus i married a sicilian and have 3 half sicilian daughters, I'm not winning any at home, so please excuse me if I feel the need to think I've won something in here..LOL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

Re: Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now--

In the game at full speed without thought and premeditation and fixed Boss Hogg radar guns.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Well, your buddy's right, but you're also both right imho. Rolston was in the hardest shot competition, and he did register high. I think high 90's or even over 100. But some guys are way better at getting their shot off in a game.  I think most shots Seguin takes are harder than most of Chara's. In the All-star Seguin registered about 10 Mph lower than Chara, but the speed of his shot comes from his outstanding coordination and body movement. That's similar to other smaller, hard shooters like Hull, Stamkos or even Gretzky. I'd put Rolston in that group too. He's an athletic guy that was always a strong skater and shooter. Chara walks into his shots and puts his massive weight and strength into it. That's awesome too, but less effective in real game situations.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I'm betting Brian Rolston will do a perfect imitation of Peverley's 2011 playoff performance.

Kelvana, you married a Sicilian? Mamma Mia! Povero lei!

No, just kinding. I have a fair number of Sicilian clients. They're nice people, when money is not involved. - no, I'm kidding again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now--:
    I'm betting Brian Rolston will do a perfect imitation of Peverley's 2011 playoff performance. Kelvana, you married a Sicilian? Mamma Mia! Povero lei! No, just kinding. I have a fair number of Sicilian clients. They're nice people, when money is not involved. - no, I'm kidding again.
    Posted by Wheatskins

HAHA! I'm almost postive there is a stash of money in the house, I'm just too afraid I'll be caught looking for it!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't think there is a difference between game action and the contest.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I remember Rolston having a cannon of a shot but very inaccurate.  Does that ring a bell with anyone else or am I way off on that?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Game action makes all the difference. I'll swear Wickenheiser has a shot in the low 90's in game, but we all know she wouldn't come within a country mile of Chara in a hardest shot competition. It's all about timing, mechanics, style, angle, in-game positioning and weight distribution in game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I don't think there is a difference between game action and the contest.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

there is...

getting several uncontested strides to smash a stationary puck into an unoccupied net is much different from a in-game situation... have you ever taken a slap-shot before? like seriously? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Game action makes all the difference. I'll swear Wickenheiser has a shot in the low 90's in game, but we all know she wouldn't come within a country mile of Chara in a hardest shot competition. It's all about timing, mechanics, style, angle, in-game positioning and weight distribution in game.
    Posted by red75

We're talking about men's hockey.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now-- : there is... getting several uncontested strides to smash a stationary puck into an unoccupied net is much different from a in-game situation... have you ever taken a slap-shot before? like seriously? 
    Posted by Olsonic

Pay attention, OC.  The OP was suggesting that the player has a harder shot in game action.

Like seriously?  How are things down in the Valley?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now-- : We're talking about men's hockey.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Yes and that was my point. Even in the women's game, in game dynamics can pull a person's shot speed up. Same can happen, and does happen, in the men's game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now-- : Yes and that was my point. Even in the women's game, in game dynamics can pull a person's shot speed up. Same can happen, and does happen, in the men's game.
    Posted by red75

But, we are not talking about women's hockey, just as we're not talking about basketball or lacrosse.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Physics are physics. Slapping a puck is the same given the varying circumstances.

Put it this way - in a structured contest Chara outshot Weber. During a game Weber put the puck through the twine. The physics are different between in game and the hardest shot competition.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now-- : Yes and that was my point. Even in the women's game, in game dynamics can pull a person's shot speed up. Same can happen, and does happen, in the men's game.
    Posted by red75

I'm going to disagree. I think in-game action can make a player's shot "seem" harder/faster while the game is ongoing at speed.  It just makes more sense to me that a shot unrushed, taken in complete relaxation with a running start basically and exploding towards the net with zero concern for defense or location would allow maximum kinetics and force.

Or, maybe not.  Who knows?  Love to see this measured.

I'm gonna guess none of the girls cracked the 90 MPH mark, though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Physics are physics. Slapping a puck is the same given the varying circumstances. Put it this way - in a structured contest Chara outshot Weber. During a game Weber put the puck through the twine. The physics are different between in game and the hardest shot competition.
    Posted by red75

Honestly red, are you saying that shot that broke the twine was because it was the hardest shot of all time?  I've seen shots break the twine in college games.  Weber has a missle, but the strength of that particular piece of string was likely weaker than another at that moment in time.  It doesn't mean Chara never took a shot as hard as Weber's that day.  Apples and oranges.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Soxfan, my point isn't about the twine or that it was the hardest shot ever (the twine could have been frayed easily). It was more about physics. If you get a puck, and have great timing and can connect with it with a one-timer while it's half a centimetre or more above the ice and moving (moving gives it more kinetic engery on the reconnect than a still puck, and off the ice gives it less friction on which to lose that kinetic energy) then the puck will move faster. Basic phyisics, but it comes down to execution, and the circumstances of off the ice and with existing energy can't happen in a hardest shot compeition. In game, if you have the execution, you should be able to shoot it harder, given the proper circumstance.

Think of it this way - if I'm standing in the high slot and Marc Savard feathers me a pass from the half boards that floats over the ice by half an inch and I connect with it perfectly with a one-timer, that puck will travel faster than a puck that was unmoving and in direct contact with the ice that I hit with the exact same shot from the exact same position on the ice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now-- : Pay attention, OC.  The OP was suggesting that the player has a harder shot in game action. Like seriously?  How are things down in the Valley?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

hmm, missed that my bad. well I'm on your side then.

Kevlana, I just think Rolston has a higher average slapshot speed, I think that's what you meant to say. He's able to square up more pucks than the average player, but that doesn't mean he has one of the hardest shots in the league.

by the way, where have you been N-A-S?

How about this for hard Rolston shots????
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWkyzT6HxGM

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

As far as game action differing from a contest, I know that I score a high % of my breakaways in game, but have never scored in a penalty shot or shootout situation.  It definitely has something to do with how much time I have to think.  I think it works similarly with slap shots or anything else, but I have no way to show it.

Also, in a game, you can shoot with the puck already moving towards the net.  Not sure how much velocity that could add, but I definitely think that 'in game' shots can be harder, or that Rolston might shoot harder in a game, or whatever this argument is.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I'll say game action for sure because of the adrenaline. I can't see a player being as pumped up as in a shootout contest.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Soxfan, my point isn't about the twine or that it was the hardest shot ever (the twine could have been frayed easily). It was more about physics. If you get a puck, and have great timing and can connect with it with a one-timer while it's half a centimetre or more above the ice and moving (moving gives it more kinetic engery on the reconnect than a still puck, and off the ice gives it less friction on which to lose that kinetic energy) then the puck will move faster. Basic phyisics, but it comes down to execution, and the circumstances of off the ice and with existing energy can't happen in a hardest shot compeition. In game, if you have the execution, you should be able to shoot it harder, given the proper circumstance. Think of it this way - if I'm standing in the high slot and Marc Savard feathers me a pass from the half boards that floats over the ice by half an inch and I connect with it perfectly with a one-timer, that puck will travel faster than a puck that was unmoving and in direct contact with the ice that I hit with the exact same shot from the exact same position on the ice.
    Posted by red75

all good points.  my vote is in disagreement though.   connecting "perfectly" with a one timer rarely happens, and when it does, "game situation" prohibits the player from "stepping into it", like he does in a "hardest shot" competition.

why do some players get a bad rep for taking too long to get their shot off?  cuz those players are trying to get off a really hard shot,(not realizing quickness is just as important) and that takes longer to get off.

if chara was put in the situation(with opposing players coming at him) you describe above red, and feathered 50 pucks at him, you'd see wild fluctuations in puck speed, and a really good chance that none matched the velocity of "any" his crankers.  in the event some did, it would never be often enough to say shooters "shoot harder in game situations".  
    this really isn't a debateable subject. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

OK, forgive me for stealing the harder shot in game or contest thread, but I want to talk about Rolston for a second.

My expectation levels:
    14 or more pts A+
    12-13 pts for the remainder of the season A
    10 - 11 pts B
    9 pts - C  <<<  expected
    6-8 pts D
    5 or less pts an F.

If he finds his way onto the pp, I'll be happy.  Altho I have seen little of him, I expect the shooting to be better than Corvo, more accurate at least and possibly harder.  Decision making on the pp significantly better than Corvo.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

OK, forgive me for stealing the harder shot in game or contest thread, but I want to talk about Rolston for a second. My expectation levels: 14 or more pts A+ 12-13 pts for the remainder of the season A 10 - 11 pts B 9 pts - C  <<<  expected 6-8 pts D 5 or less pts an F. If he finds his way onto the pp, I'll be happy.  Altho I have seen little of him, I expect the shooting to be better than Corvo, more accurate at least and possibly harder.  Decision making on the pp significantly better than Corvo.
    Posted by BadHabitude

What happened to E ?

Here I'll fill it in. At 39 years old , not getting hurt and staying in the lineup the rest of the way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

love the return of rolston. loved him in his first stint. i do realize a few years have passed, but he was the yearly leader in short-handed goals for the b's. he potted 6 or 7 shorties every year. that's having good hockey sense, and wheels. granted the wheels might not be quite the same, but you don't lose hockey smarts. good pick-up by the b's. solid vet. watch the rejuvenation of brian rolston happen before our very eyes. as far as the shot debate... adrenaline is a mighty powerful drug. game shots i feel have to have a little more "juice" behind them. 

Sections
Shortcuts