Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now--

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now--

Best I can tell, by magnitude the velocity and angle of the puck have the greatest impact. Something like pascal units, aren't going to have as huge an impact but will exet some change. That oft quoted 0.2 mph decrease in puck speed is based on measurements at sea level (like the avove Mentioned Rogers arena). So that's at 14.7 base psi. The air pressure at the Pepsi Centre is 12.1 psi (average), so leaving out other mitigating factors like temperature and humidity, that mph decrease would be 0.1646 in the Avs barn.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I can't explain what Red has already said any better lol.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Re: Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now--:
    [QUOTE]And Badhab, according to that book, the most important factors for slapshot power are, in order, speed of puck toward player taking the slapshot body motion of the shooter direction of puck before the slapshot speed of swing of the hockey stick distance from puck where blade slaps the ice lower arm of player taking the slapshot flexibility of shooter’s hockey stick position of puck on stick blade slapshot follow through.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Red,  I don't know when the book was written, but I dare say that the mechanical advantage generated by today's composite shafts (the amount of torque and flexion). factor-in substantially as to the velocity of the puck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

If anyone is interested, I found this formula (which does not take in atmospheric or environmental conditions) for calculating the speed of a slapshot.

ω3=2I*ω1
              I+mr²

If I couple that with the equation for momentum conversion, I should be able to get us a definitive answer as to exactly how much the difference between a static Chara slapshot from 30 feet out in Scotiabank Place (using his 108.8 speed as my constant) and a Chara slapshot on a puck in motion at say 40 mph from 30 feet out would be in Scotiabank Place, and have different numbers for various angles.

I'll do the math when I'm a) bored b) have the time.

And watchtower, the book is f4rom 2002, but there's a new edition scheduled for later this year. Hopefully it will go more into the physics behind the composite sticks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now--:
    [QUOTE]Okay, with the addition of Brian Rolston me and my buddy got to talking about his shot, which has turned into a debate. For those of you who have debated with me here, you know I think I'm always right, cause as I tell my wife, how can we both be right when I know I am!!! LOL, He states he'd love to see Brian Rolston in the hardest shot contest and while he may not win, he'd hold his own. My argument was, and i do think he'd registar high but i think he's one of those guys who has a harder shot in game action, like a Brett Hull or Steven Stamkos. he says theres no way one can shoot harder in a game and not in a contest where he has time to step into it. I think it's hard to explain but i thought people in here would know what i mean...So, what do you think... Also, no going against me just because of my avatar or the fact you'd love to prove me wrong!!! Hoping NAS, Fletch,Chowda, Shupe (if he's alive) and Dez chime in along with the rest tof you.. SIDE NOTE: If I'm in a debate with you on here, please don't take it personal, no matter what i say...It's all in good fun, plus i married a sicilian and have 3 half sicilian daughters, I'm not winning any at home, so please excuse me if I feel the need to think I've won something in here..LOL
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    I always felt I could shoot harder off of a 1-timer feed. Brett Hull could really fire a puck during games. I think he'd be hard pressed to shoot a stationary puck as hard as 1 that's passed to him. What gets hit harder- a pitched ball or one on a tee?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]A few things: Love the pickup of Rolston. Cant wait to see him in the stretch drive. I also married a sicilian (and she's from Revere). Can you imagine ???. I havent been right once since the day we were married !! As I stated, Love the Rolston acquisition, but wondering why the Bruins would have given up assets in a trade when they could have picked him up for nothing when he was on waivers earlier this week. Am I missing something ?
    Posted by ed121501[/QUOTE]
    Ed, this info is 3 years old but the premise should still be close. It details the contract rules for each team.....

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=430807

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Ask thomas bout the two one timers alfredsson blasted by him last game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

In Response to Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now--:
    [QUOTE]Okay, with the addition of Brian Rolston me and my buddy got to talking about his shot, which has turned into a debate. For those of you who have debated with me here, you know I think I'm always right, cause as I tell my wife, how can we both be right when I know I am!!! LOL, He states he'd love to see Brian Rolston in the hardest shot contest and while he may not win, he'd hold his own. My argument was, and i do think he'd registar high but i think he's one of those guys who has a harder shot in game action, like a Brett Hull or Steven Stamkos. he says theres no way one can shoot harder in a game and not in a contest where he has time to step into it. I think it's hard to explain but i thought people in here would know what i mean...So, what do you think... Also, no going against me just because of my avatar or the fact you'd love to prove me wrong!!! Hoping NAS, Fletch,Chowda, Shupe (if he's alive) and Dez chime in along with the rest tof you.. SIDE NOTE: If I'm in a debate with you on here, please don't take it personal, no matter what i say...It's all in good fun, plus i married a sicilian and have 3 half sicilian daughters, I'm not winning any at home, so please excuse me if I feel the need to think I've won something in here..LOL
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Wise man, married an Italian !! I'm sure your belly rumbles in approval non stop, Kel ! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Red I think this explains your theory!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgUTxyek_6k

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Red, it's amazing how your argument has gone from women's hockey, to Weber busted the netting, to a book you read to...whatever else you can find online.

Give us a break.

It's not too difficult to use a search engine to come up with this:

http://nhlhockeyice.com/hockey-video/better-slapshot-power/

Tell us more about Weber and the tweaked twine and your abandoned theory of the puck traveling above the ice, reducing friction.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Not an abandoned theory - that's an aspect of it. Lower friction equals higher speed. I've searched a whack, but have the book on hand as well, plus a Grade 12 education (and beyond). This is Newton and Bernouilli stuff - Grade 10 physics. Pretty easy crap. My argument hasn't evolved, simply my detail of explanation has, as other folks have gotten the science and math wrong requiring more explanation. Yeah, I didn't want to retype every damn word so (as I already said) I quoted a synopsis, and not the book itself. Ooooh evil.

You're only grumpy because a) you're NAS, and b) your intial premise that game conditions didn't matter is 100 per cent wrong.

Life sucks. Get a helmet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

Great move.  I like all the moves the B's made.  I'm glad they didn't unload a bunch of picks, the farm is kind of thin.  Last years moves seemed ho hum at the time too.  Now, I don't see how we could let Kelly or Peverly go. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Its 11 pm in Vancouver, you should be in bed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Its 11 pm in Vancouver, you should be in bed.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

It's 11:08, and I'm a big girl... oh wait, you were talking to null not me. Nevermind :p

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Great explanation of the physics involved in the shooting a puck off a pass, Red.  There is one other factor though.  In the All-star game the shooter is not static, while the puck is. That adds to the speed of the shot. If Chara is moving at say, 10 mph, you can add that to the speed of the swinging of his stick, and what is in turn transferred to the puck. So the worst shot would come off a player standing still, swinging and shooting.  The absolutely hardest shot would come off a player streaking in from the point, receiving a hard pass from behind the net and blasting a one-timer.

Someone asked if they radar shots in games.  They don't, but they have chipped pucks in games. I don't know how accurate it is, but typically the shots were not has hard as in the all-star game.  A shot in the 90's rarely happens in game time according to the gps chips in the pucks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Great explanation of the physics involved in the shooting a puck off a pass, Red.  There is one other factor though.  In the All-star game the shooter is not static, while the puck is. That adds to the speed of the shot. If Chara is moving at say, 10 mph, you can add that to the speed of the swinging of his stick, and what is in turn transferred to the puck. So the worst shot would come off a player standing still, swinging and shooting.  The absolutely hardest shot would come off a player streaking in from the point, receiving a hard pass from behind the net and blasting a one-timer. Someone asked if they radar shots in games.  They don't, but they have chipped pucks in games. I don't know how accurate it is, but typically the shots were not has hard as in the all-star game.  A shot in the 90's rarely happens in game time according to the gps chips in the pucks.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

My pickup games have lots of chipped pucks and we're all old fahts and only 4-10 guys from each can really shoot hard.  And I notice about the same amount of chipped pucks from each.  I know.  I play de and I'm always fishing out pucks from behind the guy with the big pads who's always yelling "can't see" and "screen" and picking the nice puck is always a chore.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Hahaha. Microchips.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now-- : My pickup games have lots of chipped pucks and we're all old fahts and only 4-10 guys from each can really shoot hard.  And I notice about the same amount of chipped pucks from each.  I know.  I play de and I'm always fishing out pucks from behind the guy with the big pads who's always yelling "can't see" and "screen" and picking the nice puck is always a chore.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now-- : My pickup games have lots of chipped pucks and we're all old fahts and only 4-10 guys from each can really shoot hard.  And I notice about the same amount of chipped pucks from each.  I know.  I play de and I'm always fishing out pucks from behind the guy with the big pads who's always yelling "can't see" and "screen" and picking the nice puck is always a chore.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    Find me a goalie who'll fish pucks out of his net & it's usually one of the following: 1) Hasn't been a goalie for very long. 2) Is absolutely terrible & the guys on the bench are going. "Jeeezus!, grab the shooter tutor instead of calling this guy next time. 3) He just doesn't care.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Brian Rolston Debate--it's in your hands now-- : Find me a goalie who'll fish pucks out of his net & it's usually one of the following: 1) Hasn't been a goalie for very long. 2) Is absolutely terrible & the guys on the bench are going. "Jeeezus!, grab the shooter tutor instead of calling this guy next time. 3) He just doesn't care.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

4) his name is Jim Carey

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

5) One who doesn't have superstitions like that. Seen it last night in the Hawks- Leafs game.

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20112012,2,947&event=CHI412&fr=false

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Life sucks. Get a helmet.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Maybe it does when you us Weber and the twine as an example and the rest of the gang laughs hysterically at how stupid that is.

Life doesn't suck for me at all.

All things considered, my life is pretty awesome.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]5) One who doesn't have superstitions like that. Seen it last night in the Hawks- Leafs game. http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20112012,2,947&event=CHI412&fr=false
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Or see rule #2. lol Seriously, wasn't the Moster's fault!

24. This post has been removed.