Briere is officially an UFA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Briere is officially an UFA

Philly has bought him out. Just my opinion, but if the B's can sign him for cheap, and he'd be okay with the 3rd line, then I'd be happy if they get him for one year. Amazing Playoff performer.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425925

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re: Briere is officially an UFA

definitely a great playoff performer, but i dont think itd be worth the money he wants just to put him on the third line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

Philly has bought him out. Just my opinion, but if the B's can sign him for cheap, and he'd be okay with the 3rd line, then I'd be happy if they get him for one year. Amazing Playoff performer.

Why would he sign a cheap, one year deal?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He won't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because he's a 15 year player, who might want to be on a very good team that has a chance to win the Cup, and he is already paid $ 6.5 mil by Philly. Maybe there will be a few other really good teams that are willing to pay the guy lots of money in a reduced salary cap world, but my guess is that there are few and far between for a guy with injury and concussion problems.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

For one year on the cheap: absolutely!

But thats a long shot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Because he's a 15 year player, who might want to be on a very good team that has a chance to win the Cup, and he is already paid $ 6.5 mil by Philly. Maybe there will be a few other really good teams that are willing to pay the guy lots of money in a reduced salary cap world, but my guess is that there are few and far between for a guy with injury and concussion problems.

He's a 35 year old man who is going to be unemployable in a few years.  This will most likely be his last chance to make a large amount of money as a hockey player. 

I bet he signs the richest possible contract offered to him, regardless of which team offers it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I think if the Pittsburgh Penguins offer Briere a 1 yr deal for $3mil and the Minnesota Wild offer a 3 yr deal at $5 mil a year, Briere will take the Wild offer. I see him wanting to stay in the east though as that is where his children live. Now if the Calgary Flames offer him $6 mil a year for 3 yrs then who knows.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[QUOTE]

He's a 35 year old man who is going to be unemployable in a few years.  This will most likely be his last chance to make a large amount of money as a hockey player. 

I bet he signs the richest possible contract offered to him, regardless of which team offers it.

[/QUOTE]

I bet he wants a Cup. Ask Iggy what he wanted. 

You could be right, and he's resigned to the fact that it's just $$$$ now, but I hope not. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

You could be right, and he's resigned to the fact that it's just $$$$ now, but I hope not. 

I just asked him.  He said: "I want a Cup, but I'm not going to lose any money over it.  Who do you think I am, Paul Kariya?"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

He's going where the money is. Just like every other player, which is fine, I'd do the same thing.

I think he is perfect for the Habs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

I just asked him.  He said: "I want a Cup, but I'm not going to lose any money over it.  Who do you think I am, Paul Kariya?"

Funny, but when I talked to him, he said the girls in Pittsburgh were ugly, and he made a big mistake by going to the city of loosers, and not the City Of Champions - Boston, to get his name on the Cup.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

can he play on sat?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Of course he wants to win a Cup.  Everyone on Earth does.

Why would he be a bad guy for signing with the highest payout?  Would you work for less?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Many people here going to Gap Geek.com ?  You can see which teams are against the cap and which teams have money to spend. That will change somewhat in a few weeks when July 1st comes around, but you have to wonder how many of the teams against the cap will make room for a 35yr old player ? He will be a fill in for a team going into the 2014 season that needs a quality 1st 2nd line winger and can afford him. It's either that or he signs for a Cup contending team that's up against the cap and he signs for lesser monies.....We will see.

I'd like to see him in Boston only if we could use him. We don't know that one either until the Bruins figure out who is being resigned, traded or just let go....Boston has talent down on the farm that needs to be brought in and worked into the NHL system, which means not all current players will be around.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[QUOTE]

Of course he wants to win a Cup.  Everyone on Earth does.

Why would he be a bad guy for signing with the highest payout?  Would you work for less?

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say he was a bad guy NAS. If I did, please quote me. Maybe I didn't express myself in simple enough terms.

I do not see any issue with him or anyone going for the big bucks. But, the 2 might not be available together. A great team wanting him, and the ability to pay him what he wants in a year that money is going to be tight, just keeping the existing players happy. And on good teams that is a constant problem. You could take the Bruins as a prime example.  

Plus he is in affect being paid for the coming years, so in essences it isn't taking a pay cut.

I do not know how important winning is to him, verses the money. Neither do you. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I didn't say he was a bad guy NAS. If I did, please quote me. Maybe I didn't express myself in simple enough terms.

"You could be right, and he's resigned to the fact that it's just $$$$ now, but I hope not."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I could see teams like the Sens, Blues, Isles or Jets offering him a sizable contract - teams that could used an  experienced forward to shore up their top 9 to make that next step, and who have cap space coming out of their ears.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Oh I don't think he would like playing for the Jets at all LOL

Would love to see Briere here in Boston but as Kelv mentioned, great fit in Smurfland!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

[QUOTE]

"You could be right, and he's resigned to the fact that it's just $$$$ now, but I hope not."

[/QUOTE]

Where you get "bad guy" from that is beyond me, but whatever floats your boat NAS.