Bruins: 12-13 vs 13-14

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Bruins: 12-13 vs 13-14

Do the Bruins start 2013-14 with a better team than they started last year?

2012-13:

Lucic - Krejci - Horton

Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin

Bourque - Kelly - Peverley

Paille - Campbell - Thornton

Chara - Hamilton

Seidenberg - Boychuck

Ference - McQuaid

Rask

Khudobin

2013-14:

Lucic - Krejci - Iginla

Marchand - Bergeron - Eriksson

Soderberg - Kelly - Smith

Chara - Hamilton

Seidenberg - Boychuck

Krug - McQuaid

Rask

Johnson

Based on last year:

Iginla: 14+19=33

Horton: 13+9=22

Eriksson: 12+17=29

Seguin:  16+16=32

Smith: 3+6=9

Peverley: 6+12=18

Team point production change from these 3 key roster changes: -1

Krug, Soderberg, Bourque, Ference etc are not worth even comparing due to the lack of games played. I'm assuming Smith makes the team based soley on him having played nearly a full season last year making him the best to compare with Peverley.  I listed Krug and Hamilton since they played in the SC Final, but Bartowksi is surely in the mix as well.

So, do you think this year's Bruins are better or worse?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Bruins: 12-13 vs 13-14

Last year's numbers are interesting enough, but you're asking a paper question, right?  So it isn't so much what people did last year but what they look like on paper?

I want to say better, but, you know, on paper?  I can see Krug/Bartkowski as an upgrade on the D providing the same mobility and better puck skills than Ference.  I can also see them missing Ference's steady game and veteran savvy. Peverley had a terrible year and Bourque didn't have any impact at all, but on paper, Peverley's record is pretty good and Soderberg's an unknown.  Bourque has a strong minor pro record - better than Caron and at least equal to Fraser and Smith.  On paper, it's hard to look at Eriksson replacing Seguin as an improvement, and the first line RW aged a decade in one year.  Seguin and Horton both had down years, so it's hard to correct for their real value and say the Bruins are better on RW this year.

I still say they're actually a better team, though just not on paper.  It's intangible stuff like Hamilton having another year of experience, and competition among young, mobile D for the 6 spot.  It's real options to push whoever fills the available forward spots, and what looks like a good fit for the new players on their new lines.  Head to head, I think the 2013-14 team wins 4 of 7 by an average score of 3-2.

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Ye Ol 3rd line question...who will join Kelly and run with it ?

Can't say there is an unknown for Iginla and Eriksson because I have seen them play. They both have a great cast around them so I expect that they will play well In their surroundings. The top 6 forwards in Boston have linemates that can pick each others game up when there is a lull.

Goaltending and defenseman depth absolute plus. Offense from the blueline is going to take more pressure off the forwards. There is my X factor in comparing the two rosters. Hamilton, Krug Life and Bartlowski are going to excel. I can feel it in ma bones.

2013-2014 roster!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

for just one game i would like to see

lucic - krejci - horton 

marchand - bergeron - IGGY

Paille - Soderberg - smith/spooner/whoever

Kelly - Campbell - Thornton. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

lucic - krejci - horton 

Horton?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

I did the same thing and ran those numbers, but one factor Louie and Jarome both played on awful teams, they should do better with a better supporting cast.

Also, I like the competition for the 3rd line slots, there are a decent amount of prospects with the potential to step in.  A good thing when the injury bug hits or if someone gets on a cold streak.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I gotta believe Eriksson is first line material. He's got to be faster than IGGY. 

It might be that the second line is faster all and all, and that the first line, not slow by any means, uses size to it's advantage, therefore Jerome would be a better fit. When the trade was done, I thought Loui would be fitted in the first line. We'll see. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Last year's numbers are interesting enough, but you're asking a paper question, right?  So it isn't so much what people did last year but what they look like on paper?

I want to say better, but, you know, on paper?  I can see Krug/Bartkowski as an upgrade on the D providing the same mobility and better puck skills than Ference.  I can also see them missing Ference's steady game and veteran savvy. Peverley had a terrible year and Bourque didn't have any impact at all, but on paper, Peverley's record is pretty good and Soderberg's an unknown.  Bourque has a strong minor pro record - better than Caron and at least equal to Fraser and Smith.  On paper, it's hard to look at Eriksson replacing Seguin as an improvement, and the first line RW aged a decade in one year.  Seguin and Horton both had down years, so it's hard to correct for their real value and say the Bruins are better on RW this year.

I still say they're actually a better team, though just not on paper.  It's intangible stuff like Hamilton having another year of experience, and competition among young, mobile D for the 6 spot.  It's real options to push whoever fills the available forward spots, and what looks like a good fit for the new players on their new lines.  Head to head, I think the 2013-14 team wins 4 of 7 by an average score of 3-2.

Are you not entertained?!?!

On paper, Eriksson averages 70 points per season while playing stellar D. He's older but better at this point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Eriksson gets his share of grit goals - and some pretty ones, too.  I think Tyler got all pretty goals and no gritty ones.  And I think Iginla will show more grit than Jagr did, and I think Iginla is more durable than Horton.  I like the 13-14 team better than the 12-13 team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

I like this team better, but as always, being healthy (or somewhat) come playoff time will be the key

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Better.

I see Eriksson as a material upgrade over Seguin at this point in their careers; both for player-level and fit for the system.

Also see Iginla as an upgrade over Horton.  Can't wait to see Krejci play with a real finisher. 

Think Hamilton/Krug/Bartkowski added to mix will do fine.

3rd-line was a mess last year, bar is set very low.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think I really have to say they are measurably better this year.  

I miss Tyler Seguin and the great potential he has, but I think Eriksson is clearly better than Seguin WAS the last couple years.  He is a very consistent 70 point scorer (more than Tyler as yet) and plays a great defensive game.

Iginla, assuming he hasn't taken a big decline, is clearly a more productive player than Horton.  He's also healthier.  Horton has shoulder and head issues, two of the worst in my opinion for reducing a players effectiveness.

I like Soderberg much better than Bourque.

The defence I think is the strongest in memory.  Bartowski looks like a good Ference replacement, Hamilton should be better and Krug gives some great depth and offensive skill that has been lacking. 7 solid defence, I really like it.

The only possible down side to me is losing Peverley, who despite his off year last year is a very good player.  We'll miss his faceoff ability.  One of the young players really needs to step up and contribute as a 10-20G/30-40pts guy on the 3rd line RW.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

2012-13:

Lucic - Krejci - Horton

Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin

Bourque - Kelly - Peverley

Chara - Hamilton

Seidenberg - Boychuck

Ference - McQuaid

Rask

Khudobin

2013-14:

Lucic - Krejci - Iginla

Marchand - Bergeron - Eriksson

Soderberg - Kelly - Smith

Chara - Hamilton

Seidenberg - Boychuck

Krug - McQuaid

Rask

Johnson

Based on last year:

Iginla: 14+19=33

Horton: 13+9=22

Eriksson: 12+17=29

Seguin:  16+16=32

Smith: 3+6=9

Peverley: 6+12=18

Team point production change from these 3 key roster changes: -1

Krug, Soderberg, Bourque, Ference etc are not worth even comparing due to the lack of games played. I'm assuming Smith makes the team based soley on him having played nearly a full season last year making him the best to compare with Peverley.  I listed Krug and Hamilton since they played in the SC Final, but Bartowksi is surely in the mix as well.

So, do you think this year's Bruins are better or worse?

Just the fact that the Lemon is gone automatically improve the B's by 10% .....Bart & Hamilton will also have an impact ...and do not expect to see ST in more than 40 games...another upgrade if you replace him by Fraser or Spooner or whoever....so yes this team is better than last year...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

lucic - krejci - horton 

Bostonfan ....please note that Nathan Horton is no longer a BRUIN....DUH !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

The only possible down side to me is losing Peverley, who despite his off year last year is a very good player.  We'll miss his faceoff ability.  One of the young players really needs to step up and contribute as a 10-20G/30-40pts guy on the 3rd line RW.

OatesCam .....you gotta be kidding .....the Lemon is a terrible player, likes to skate around the ice but never goes to the net.....best move ever by PC to include him in the trade I cannot thank him enough to ship him away I wish he would have shipped him in the KHL so we dont get to see those terrible performances but Dallas is fine.....tell me u were joking Man ....

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 4 more Cups by 2020

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

This team is better.  It comes down to how well they are playing come April.   I just hope they can shake the "hangover" sooner than later.  Remember, they are as exhausted themselves as the Hawks with a shorter summer.

PS. I'm back.  Oh...who am I?  Well, I had 1,000s of posts on the Bs' forum since, well, 2006 or so.   Y'all know me ;-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

OatesCam .....you gotta be kidding .....the Lemon is a terrible player, likes to skate around the ice but never goes to the net.....best move ever by PC to include him in the trade I cannot thank him enough to ship him away I wish he would have shipped him in the KHL so we dont get to see those terrible performances but Dallas is fine.....tell me u were joking Man ....

Peverley is a good player.  Excellent speed and compete, and even better than Bergeron on faceoffs.  Often plays at a 50+point level.  He had a poor year last season from a production standpoint, but he was still an asset, especially on draws.  He was moved because his production didn't justify 3 million under the current cap, but the team is worse for it.  Unless they can find a young player to step up and play solid NHL hockey and score 40+ points, which none of their prospects have shown they can do yet.  I'm optimistic for either Smith or Spooner to be able to fill that role.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

haha. swap eriksson for horton. apparently i was having a long day..

lets try that again

lucic - krejci - eriksson

marchand - bergeron - iggy

Paille - Soderberg - Spooner/Smith/whoever

kelly - campbell - thornton

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

OatesCam.  I agree with you about Smith (i've already my BRUINS Jersey with no.18 and Smith in the back .....I also like Spooner ...but HOLY CRAP I totally disagree with you on LEMON ....he sucks he is a flying chicken mosquito and thats about it ....ALLELUIA HE IS GONE and whoever would replace him will be a huge upgrade believe me .....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Stanly, Pevs will get more points this year (as the 2nd line centre in Dallas) than either Smith or Spooner, and will more than likely get more than the pair of them combined. While Pev had a bad season last year, your hate is completely irrational and likely stems from your love for Blake Wheeler.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

lets try that again

Why do you think Julien would drop Kelly down ?

Also it has been pretty much settled Iginla will start with Krejci and Eriksson with Bergeron.

Why the switches ?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

lets try that again

Why do you think Julien would drop Kelly down ?

Also it has been pretty much settled Iginla will start with Krejci and Eriksson with Bergeron.

Why the switches ?

I know the general consensus has been Eriksson with Bergeron, and I expect that's what we'll see come puck drop, but would there not be some merit in spreading your defensive forwards across the two lines? Eriksson and Bergeron will likely be the Bruins two top two way players. Spreading them out over the lineup a bit could make it more difficult for other squads.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Stanly, Pevs will get more points this year (as the 2nd line centre in Dallas) than either Smith or Spooner, and will more than likely get more than the pair of them combined. While Pev had a bad season last year, your hate is completely irrational and likely stems from your love for Blake Wheeler.

Red, logic is kinda frowned upon when it comes to stanley...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Why waste your breath?

He's stark raving nuts and that's obvious.

Sections
Shortcuts