Bruins "Cup" Half Empty or Half Full???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Bruins "Cup" Half Empty or Half Full???

Many good posts out there, trying to gleen from folks...are the B's on the right path to win the Cup in 2010-11?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Bruins "Cup" Half Empty or Half Full???

http://www.nesn.com/2010/12/peter-chiarelli-still-hopeful-for-more-offense-continued-improvement-from-power-play.html

The Bs will need roster moves but after PC evaluates some more. I just don't think the Bruins are going to get consistent scoring from the wings in the playoffs. According to Pierre LeBrun Niclas Bergfors is being shopped.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

The only cup is in Chicago and it better be full when the B's win it, as an awful thirst has been Bruin since 72.

Bos has the players to vie for the cup, but, have to have a hot streak at right time and hot goaltending to win it all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigD7. Show BigD7's posts

We see streaks all the time from differnent teams in the league... are the Caps as bad as their latest run?

The B's have been inconsistent, but if everyone plays to potential and with confidence and feist, then they could go on a very long tear... hopefully beginning in April. Unsure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins "Cup" Half Empty or Half Full???:
    Okay, I am half-empty. Wrong path. We have three "Fred Stanfield" centers. To similar in style. To soft. Our wings are mediocre, cept for Lucic and he is not a natural scorer. Horton is Ryder Redux, a big wing with a shot but to inconsistent. And our defense is at least one if not two Top Four defenseman away from Cup contending. As KDP said today, if not for Thomas the Bruins would be slothing it out with the Leafs and such for worse record. And worse of all, it is a team with little character and often even less heart. My feeling is that the chemistry of the top players - specifically Chara and Savard - is not strong. And the coach is lame with all his preppy nicknames - Hunny and Savvy and Stewey and such. Players clearly don't respect him. Black and Gold diehards will obviously disagree, pull out their pitchforks shouting 'troll', but the Bruins are a boring team. They may be 8th in the conference but locally they are a distant fourth in the hearts of Bostonians, and in danger of slipping behind the Revolution and Bentley womens basketball.
    Posted by pumpsiefan

Pumpsie - agree on most of your comment, except for Horton ...Ryder has a great shot that takes an eternity to load up. Horton is a lethal sniper. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In order to go to the next level, they need a star on offense. 

They just don't have one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Definitely don't have the team to win the cup as of right now. We all want the Bruins to win the cup but I think they are a couple of players away. An offensive defenceman and another scoring winger would help . Unless the roster changes by the playoffs I can't see a cup this year. Hope I'm wrong though !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Sorry folks with Claude Julien coaching this roster there is no chance of a cup this year.  Change the coach then there is a small chance.  PC claims he is always try to improve the roster, if he could add a #2 defenceman it would increase our chances greatly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Okay, I am half-empty. Wrong path. We have three "Fred Stanfield" centers. To similar in style. To soft. Our wings are mediocre, cept for Lucic and he is not a natural scorer. Horton is Ryder Redux, a big wing with a shot but to inconsistent. And our defense is at least one if not two Top Four defenseman away from Cup contending. As KDP said today, if not for Thomas the Bruins would be slothing it out with the Leafs and such for worse record. And worse of all, it is a team with little character and often even less heart. My feeling is that the chemistry of the top players - specifically Chara and Savard - is not strong. And the coach is lame with all his preppy nicknames - Hunny and Savvy and Stewey and such. Players clearly don't respect him. Black and Gold diehards will obviously disagree, pull out their pitchforks shouting 'troll', but the Bruins are a boring team. They may be 8th in the conference but locally they are a distant fourth in the hearts of Bostonians, and in danger of slipping behind the Revolution and Bentley womens basketball.
    Posted by pumpsiefan

some good points but who cares if they are a distant fourth in the hearts of Bostonians. who needs front running phony fans anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: Bruins "Cup" Half Empty or Half Full??? : some good points but who cares if they are a distant fourth in the hearts of Bostonians. who needs front running phony fans anyway.
    Posted by jerrynewyork

Exactly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I think a big part of that would be solved if the B's could get to a Cup final or dare i say win the Cup. I know some days it seems light years away but some days i look at that team, when everything is clicking and think, you never know.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Are you people serious?

You are asking if the Bruins are going to win the Cup in December ?

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to be asking if the Bruins are going to make the playoffs ?

I am hoping that they will so the Habs can beat them again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

They're nowhere near Cup ready as of right now.

They need another sniper on offense and a guy who can--yes, I'm going to say it--really MOVE the puck out of the defensive zone and help score at the other end of the ice.

They rely far too much currently on their excellent goaltending but TT is only human and leaning too much on him and hoping he can stand on his head thru the playoffs is a recipe for failure.

They are also susceptible to fast-skating speedy teams like Montreal that pester and blow by the tough but slow-moving D-corps, not to mention hard-forechecking clubs like Philly that will eat them alive in a 7-game series.*

*That being sais, I like what I've seen out of Kampfer so far--he's been a real nice surprise and I wouldn't rule out trading Stuart in a package deal w/Ryder/Wheeler and/or Paille to bring back a serious scoring threat at the trade deadline.

No matter what happens**, unless the Bruins make at least TWO very big significant rodter changes to add some scoring punch on the offensive side and help from the blue line to add scoring and better transition game from their own end, they are goners by round 2.

**Barring Seguin turning into Steve Stamkos 2 years before that's really possible.

Sorry, but that's just the reality right now. A look at where the Bruins are in the standings at this point (remember the Bill Parcells principle about your record being exactly who you are) will tell you exactly how good they are and they are most definitely right now NOT 2011 Stanley Cup winners, or even contenders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm in agreement with " Bearit", and would like to add the following observations. The Bruins could delete three players right now with zero negatives. They are Recchi, too slow, his hands are no longer as good in handling and shooting the puck, and he is clearly being pushed out of the crease. Paille, still stone hands; Thornton, not a good hockey player, and the rest of the team can handle the fightd ala Kreji and McQuaid.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Half full-----IF:

---Bergeron and Wheeler keep the chemistry going as in the last game vs Wash

---Savard gets his old game back and shoots magical feeds to Seguin, who hits the twine.  Lots.

---no major injuries

---Recchi retires mid-season and Caron is brought back up in his place, and develops as a Bergeron-type checker-scorer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Bruins have a chance of winning the cup this year, there is no such thing as a sure thing in the league, there are only teams with better chances.  There are teams with better odds.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I can't tell who this team is with CJ at the helm, I think he is the reason behind the inconsistent play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

I can't tell who this team is with CJ at the helm, I think he is the reason behind the inconsistent play.
    Posted by BadHabitude

I agree but maybe with Neely showing interest in what Clod is doing he will have to get out of his current BS scheme.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

TryToBearIt, I completely agree with you.  This team needs a legitimate scoring threat and a big top 4 blueliner who can get the puck up into the center ice area to really create scoring chances.  I'm also of the belief that the Bruins need a coaching change.  Julien is a good coach, but he's the guy that can only get you so far.  He's gotten the team to this level, and unless they get rid of him, they'll be stuck at this level until he's gone.  My suggestions:

To DAL: Marc Savard, Maxime Sauve, Tyler Randell, 1st in 2011 (TOR)
    To BOS: Brad Richards

To SJS: Blake Wheeler, Rights to Alexander Fallstrom, 2nd in 2011 (BOS)
    To BOS: Devin Setoguchi

To CAR: Mark Stuart, Andrew Bodnarchuk, 4th in 2011 (BOS)
    To BOS: Joni Pitkanen

Cam: Claude, I hate to do this to you, but you're fired. *Picks up phone* Hey, Rob, I'd like to offer you the head coach position here in Boston.  Don't worry, I've got your replacement lined up already.  I'm sure you know who Ron Francis is.

You guys probably know I'm a huge Savard supporter, and as much as I like him and like the chemistry he's got with Seguin (supposedly), I think it could be the right time to move him, especially if it's for a guy like Richards.  The guy can flat out play.  He had 67 assists last year (that's a hell of alot better than Savard could ever do), not to mention his 24 goals.  San Jose is shopping around Setoguchi, and I'm sure a change of scenery could benefit him.  He could play on the second line with Krejci, which could really help his game, and poassibly regain his status as a legitimate scoring threat.  I'm sure not many of you guys know about Pitkanen.  The guy's big.  He's 6'3 and 213.  Plus, he's on the right side of 30 (27 years old).  He's a guy who can really get the puck out of the zone, and he's a great PP QB, the kind that's is typically in demand at every single trade deadline.  His stats last year for Carolina were 6 G 40 A.  We could definitely use a guy like that.  My projected lineup under new head coach Rob Murray:

Lucic - Richards - Horton
    Setoguchi - Krejci - Seguin
    Caron - Bergeron - Recchi/Marchand*
    Marchand/Recchi - Campbell - McGratton
    Thornton

Chara - Boychuk
    Pitkanen - Seidenberg
    McQuaid - Kampfer
    Ference

Thomas/Rask**
    Rask/Thomas

* - If and when Recchi gets his legs back underneath him, he can have full time duties back.  Until then, he splits time between third and fourth line with Marchand.
    ** - The obvious, Thomas and Rask split time based on who's hot and who's not. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

That roster would be over the cap by $3M, if those trades were done today.  And that's the pro-rated number.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"To DAL: Marc Savard, Maxime Sauve, Tyler Randell, 1st in 2011 (TOR)
    To BOS: Brad Richards"

You think Joe Nieuwendyk is in any position to demand that much from Boston when Richards makes 7.8Mil a year ?

Toronto's pick is untouchable no way would Chiarelli give up all that for one player. Boston has too many set up players they need shooters and there is plenty out there available for less than 7.8Mil.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

TryToBearIt, I completely agree with you.  This team needs a legitimate scoring threat and a big top 4 blueliner who can get the puck up into the center ice area to really create scoring chances.  I'm also of the belief that the Bruins need a coaching change.  Julien is a good coach, but he's the guy that can only get you so far.  He's gotten the team to this level, and unless they get rid of him, they'll be stuck at this level until he's gone.  My suggestions: To DAL: Marc Savard, Maxime Sauve, Tyler Randell, 1st in 2011 (TOR) To BOS: Brad Richards To SJS: Blake Wheeler, Rights to Alexander Fallstrom, 2nd in 2011 (BOS) To BOS: Devin Setoguchi To CAR: Mark Stuart, Andrew Bodnarchuk, 4th in 2011 (BOS) To BOS: Joni Pitkanen Cam: Claude, I hate to do this to you, but you're fired. *Picks up phone* Hey, Rob, I'd like to offer you the head coach position here in Boston.  Don't worry, I've got your replacement lined up already.  I'm sure you know who Ron Francis is. You guys probably know I'm a huge Savard supporter, and as much as I like him and like the chemistry he's got with Seguin (supposedly), I think it could be the right time to move him, especially if it's for a guy like Richards.  The guy can flat out play.  He had 67 assists last year (that's a hell of alot better than Savard could ever do), not to mention his 24 goals.  San Jose is shopping around Setoguchi, and I'm sure a change of scenery could benefit him.  He could play on the second line with Krejci, which could really help his game, and poassibly regain his status as a legitimate scoring threat.  I'm sure not many of you guys know about Pitkanen.  The guy's big.  He's 6'3 and 213.  Plus, he's on the right side of 30 (27 years old).  He's a guy who can really get the puck out of the zone, and he's a great PP QB, the kind that's is typically in demand at every single trade deadline.  His stats last year for Carolina were 6 G 40 A.  We could definitely use a guy like that.  My projected lineup under new head coach Rob Murray: Lucic - Richards - Horton Setoguchi - Krejci - Seguin Caron - Bergeron - Recchi/Marchand* Marchand/Recchi - Campbell - McGratton Thornton Chara - Boychuk Pitkanen - Seidenberg McQuaid - Kampfer Ference Thomas/Rask** Rask/Thomas * - If and when Recchi gets his legs back underneath him, he can have full time duties back.  Until then, he splits time between third and fourth line with Marchand. ** - The obvious, Thomas and Rask split time based on who's hot and who's not. 
    Posted by beantowngm15

I have to say--as also a huge Savard supporter--I'm surprised to see you suggesting trading Savvy. Just remember that his sub-par play since coming back is b/c he's essentially going thru training camp right now at the very highest level. Give him more of a chance. As we move into March I really believe he will be back to his old self (barring injury, of course), and contributing mightily.

One area I fully agree with you on is the need for a coaching change--a move I've mentioned b4 I'm not usually in favor of b/c it's generally a smoke and mirrors move my mgt./ownership to distract from the fact they haven't put good enough team together.

But Claude's shortcomings are as you point out that he can only get a team like this so far: He excells in implementing a defensive box system but that style hampers an already offensively challenged team that needs in part to LEARN how to play more aggressively in the opposing end. It's sadly true that the personnel they have right now won't translate to success in that effort BUT it certainly can't hurt. (For example, giving Seguin more free reign and keeping him consistently w/Savard and giving him more time on the PP and especially in OT 4 on 4 situations to utilize his speed).

All i know for sure is that if they stick w/CJ and essentially the same squad they have now they're toast by round two and possibly round 1, and yes, a DNQ is not beyond the realm of possibility.

CJ arguably should have been let go after the Flyers debacle last year. I get that he's not a fire and brimstone type, a la Pat Burns or Mike Millbury, but if you can't get the boys charged up and focused enough and especially going for the jugular when up 3-0(and 3-0 in game 7), you need to step aside.

I don't have a bunch of trade scenario suggestions as you do, only that I would jettison as many of the following players as possible while they are playing "OK" to 'well" in order to get either prospects or roster-ready guys in return:

Wheeler/Ryder/Rechhi and especially Paille, who is just absolutely awful and I'm still ticked off that he got ice time over Seguin in that Buffalo loss. Idiot move by CJ there.

But let's keep Savard and give him time. As pointed out, a Brad Richards fat contract in return doesn't really help the B's via the cap...and I'd say the greater need is for a stud D-man who can score. Who? I dunno. That's why they pay PC the (relatively) big bucks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I've allready stated that some changes need to be made, but I do not agree with the Richards or setoguchi  suggestions and am less than enthused on Pitkanen. First, you do not want to give Sauve away, he's the first real " sniper' the bruins have. Besides $7.8 mil per is a lot more than necessary even tho Richards is good. Plus he hasn't led Dallas to anything. Retire Recchi; sell off Paille; and put Thornton somewhere. None of this can be done until after the Holiday freeze. In early January replace Recchi with Caron; Trade Ryder and bring up Arneil; with Ryder and Paille CAP money add a solid/young defenseman who can replace Stuart or Ference or Boychuck as necessary. If they can find someone who has Ward's skills at playing with Chara they might move others. Fluto mentioned that Horton needed some prodding. If Goeff Ward cannot do that, get rid of him and add a " Milbury" type to the bench. Maybe Recchi could fill that role, but someone needs to. How about Cam for at least a three week period??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

I've allready stated that some changes need to be made, but I do not agree with the Richards or setoguchi  suggestions and am less than enthused on Pitkanen. First, you do not want to give Sauve away, he's the first real " sniper' the bruins have. Besides $7.8 mil per is a lot more than necessary even tho Richards is good. Plus he hasn't led Dallas to anything. Retire Recchi; sell off Paille; and put Thornton somewhere. None of this can be done until after the Holiday freeze. In early January replace Recchi with Caron; Trade Ryder and bring up Arneil; with Ryder and Paille CAP money add a solid/young defenseman who can replace Stuart or Ference or Boychuck as necessary. If they can find someone who has Ward's skills at playing with Chara they might move others. Fluto mentioned that Horton needed some prodding. If Goeff Ward cannot do that, get rid of him and add a " Milbury" type to the bench. Maybe Recchi could fill that role, but someone needs to. How about Cam for at least a three week period??
    Posted by Bogie6

How about Cam for at least a three week period??

You know what? I love the idea of firing CJ and making Cam the coach not just for 3 weeks, but for the rest of the season!!! I mean, seriously--it worked before(former B's players as coaches) with both O'Reilly and Milbury....it's worth a shot--I sure as heck wouldn't want to be caught dogging it and having to face #8 when I got back to the bench.

Also agree w.letting Ryder and Recchi go and bringing up Caron post-holiday...but let's also look at packaging away Wheeler in some kind of trade...better to do it now while it looks like he's waking up a bit (it won't last). Major changes are needed, that much I'm sure of.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

U better believe it we're on the right track ....not only for the Cup this season but for 3 in a row ....

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

Sections
Shortcuts