Bruins Announce 22-Player Roster For Preseason Rookie Camp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bruins Announce 22-Player Roster For Preseason Rookie Camp

http://nesn.com/2014/08/bruins-announce-22-player-roster-for-preseason-rookie-camp/

"Rookie camp will begin at the Bruins’ practice facility in Wilmington, Mass., on Sept. 11 before shifting to Antioch, Tenn., where the B’s prospects will scrimmage against rookie squads from the Nashville Predators, Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning.

Bruins training camp begins in earnest Sept. 18. See the full rookie camp roster below.

Forwards: Andrew Aamon*, Spencer Asuchak*, Anthony Camara, Mitchell Dempsey, Alex Fallstrom, Brian Ferlin, Seth Griffith, Cory Kane*, Dawson Leedahl*, Matt Lindblad, David Pastrnak, Ben Sexton, Kevin Sullivan*

Defensemen: Linus Arnesson, Bryce Aneloski*, Mickael Beauregard*, Chris Casto, Lee Moffie*, Frankie Simonelli*, Mike Young*

Goaltenders: Adam Morrison, Malcolm Subban

*Denotes player attending rookie camp on a tryout basis"

BadHab's rookie report coming to a theater near you...very soon!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Bruins Announce 22-Player Roster For Preseason Rookie Camp

Watchout for Frank Simonetti!! I mean Frank Salmonella!! I mean Frankie Simonelli! He's gonna turn some heads!

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Forwards: Andrew Aamon, Spencer Asuchak, Anthony Camara, Mitchell Dempsey, Alex Fallstrom, Brian Ferlin, Seth Griffith, Cory Kane, Dawson Leedahl, Matt Lindblad, David Pastrnak, Ben Sexton, Kevin Sullivan

Defensemen: Linus Arnesson, Bryce Aneloski, Mickael Beauregard, Chris Casto, Lee Moffie, Frankie Simonelli, Mike Young

Bold denotes guy who man not suck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I'm going to hold out some hope for Ferlin & Camara. Preferably Ferlin,due to his size and him being a right handed shot right winger. 

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

I'm going to hold out some hope for Ferlin & Camara. Preferably Ferlin,due to his size and him being a right handed shot right winger. 

The new cool.  It doesn't matter if a guy is left or right handed.  It matters if he plays well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Chowda-. Show -Chowda-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Forwards: Andrew Aamon, Spencer Asuchak, Anthony Camara, Mitchell Dempsey, Alex Fallstrom, Brian Ferlin, Seth Griffith, Cory Kane, Dawson Leedahl, Matt Lindblad, David Pastrnak, Ben Sexton, Kevin Sullivan

Defensemen: Linus Arnesson, Bryce Aneloski, Mickael Beauregard, Chris Casto, Lee Moffie, Frankie Simonelli, Mike Young

Bold denotes guy who man not suck.

Red bold denotes denotes someone who knows absolutely nothing about most of these players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to -Chowda-'s comment:

Red bold denotes denotes someone who knows absolutely nothing about most of these players.

What's to know?  Random Player A went to A College State and now is playing minor league hockey.  And will continue that way.  Maybe your Graham James routine allows you to hand out the guy's history quickly.  It doesn't make him headed for the NHL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Chowda-. Show -Chowda-'s posts

What's to know?  Random Player A went to A College State and now is playing minor league hockey.  And will continue that way.  Maybe your Graham James routine allows you to hand out the guy's history quickly.  It doesn't make him headed for the NHL.

[/QUOTE]

This fall........new arena built for the Ice Dogs.............4500 others doing the Graham James routine also. And guess what...............you might get to do the James routine too......... watching teen-aged Ekblad play for the Panthers.

Welcome to the club !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

This is getting tiresome...

I hope that Camara and Griffith fall into the useful category.

A lot of prep types and Ivy Leaguers in the system.  Makes you wonder if PC is partial to that...and why.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728432

Depending which Bruins top ten prospect rankings you agree with I would say PC has a pretty good mix. CHL and European kids over one kid from Cornell.

I will say that I would like to see the the college defenseman pipeline continue. Just so Book has to keep reading about it LoL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

There will be no BadHab report, it's going to be in Predators country with a few other teams and I won't have the time.

I have tickets to the black and gold scrimmage.

There must be a typo as I did not notice Oleg's name among the defensemen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728432" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728432

Depending which Bruins top ten prospect rankings you agree with I would say PC has a pretty good mix. CHL and European kids over one kid from Cornell.

I will say that I would like to see the the college defenseman pipeline continue. Just so Book has to keep reading about it LoL

Hey, nite?  I need a good comeback for SanDog, preferably involving him shoving something somewhere uncomfortable or being shoved somewhere uncomfortable on a farm animal.  What ya got?

[object HTMLDivElement]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728432" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728432

^ That is a nice perk.

I'm a fan of the NCAA guys, but it just seems like there is a concentration of guys that aren't even from the powerhouse conferences.  I know the Ivy/ECAC conference has won some recent championships (lots of seniors that don't leave early...), but the track record of guys making the NHL from these schools isn't very good.  In that group, I see Harvard, Dartmouth, Cornell, Clarkson, Union, etc.  Then you have Sherman and Donato coming into Harvard, O'Gara at Yale, etc.  A lot of prep school/Ivy League types there.  These aren't the NCAA programs that typically pump out NHL players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

The new cool.  It doesn't matter if a guy is left or right handed.  It matters if he plays well.

Just a preference from a personal standpoint. I realize that the bottom line is if a player plays well, but with only 2 right handed shots in the lineup right now of any substance, getting another right handed shot might be nice,if the B's don't,fine, they can have 12 left handed shots on their forward lines as long as the team is successful, although that would be weird.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm sure I could find last year's roster on google...well, okay, hold on...there we go....

What I find a bit discouraging is that the Bruins had to invite so many guys who aren't in the system to camp just to field a rookie team.  5/13 forwards and 5/7 D - fully half of the skaters.  Last year, there were only 4 forwards on invites and 3 or 4 defensemen (I'm not sure if Spinell was signed before or after rookie camp).  Last year's roster was also slightly more interesting since guys like Khokhlachev, Griffith and Camara were going into their first full pro seasons, Knight was trying to show he was healthy, Spooner was coming off of a point/game season in the AHL, and Subban was in his first go-round.  This year...Griffith and Camara and Lindblad are back, Ferlin and Pastrnak are the main attractions up front, and I guess seeing how Linus does (if he plays with Chara, will Chara be his security blanket?) will be interesting. 

I love that 38 yr old Tommy Cross was not invited for the first time in nearly two decades.

Also...anyone spent even 2 seconds over the last year thinking about Jesse Lees?  Remember the thread last summer (I got blown up on it for pointing out that it was odd they could invite an 18 year old with remaining draft eligibility but didn't do the research to explain it - and people wonder why my posts get so long).  Bruins Genius said the kid would produce?  Others thought it had something to do with stocking the D pipeline?  Lees went back to Kelowna, played only 37 games (injuries?) and put up 12 points.  He went undrafted again.  And he's not in rookie camp this year.

Which brings us to Spencer Asuchak.  We had a thread on his invitation this year.  He's another guy with an odd story, connected to a media outlet in BC that made a big deal about the invitation, who we can probably ignore in terms of whether or not he goes Kurt Warner and goes from bagging groceries at the Overwaitea to RW beside Krejci.

Are you not entertained?!?!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It is odd, though, that every year, there's one guy who is basically no different than the Frankie Simonellis and Alex Cords of the world - just another rookie camp invitee looking to buck the odds - who gets coverage where the others don't.  Strategy from the B's marketing department?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I'm sure I could find last year's roster on google...well, okay, hold on...there we go....

What I find a bit discouraging is that the Bruins had to invite so many guys who aren't in the system to camp just to field a rookie team.  5/13 forwards and 5/7 D - fully half of the skaters.  Last year, there were only 4 forwards on invites and 3 or 4 defensemen (I'm not sure if Spinell was signed before or after rookie camp).  Last year's roster was also slightly more interesting since guys like Khokhlachev, Griffith and Camara were going into their first full pro seasons, Knight was trying to show he was healthy, Spooner was coming off of a point/game season in the AHL, and Subban was in his first go-round.  This year...Griffith and Camara and Lindblad are back, Ferlin and Pastrnak are the main attractions up front, and I guess seeing how Linus does (if he plays with Chara, will Chara be his security blanket?) will be interesting. 

I love that 38 yr old Tommy Cross was not invited for the first time in nearly two decades.

Also...anyone spent even 2 seconds over the last year thinking about Jesse Lees?  Remember the thread last summer (I got blown up on it for pointing out that it was odd they could invite an 18 year old with remaining draft eligibility but didn't do the research to explain it - and people wonder why my posts get so long).  Bruins Genius said the kid would produce?  Others thought it had something to do with stocking the D pipeline?  Lees went back to Kelowna, played only 37 games (injuries?) and put up 12 points.  He went undrafted again.  And he's not in rookie camp this year.

Which brings us to Spencer Asuchak.  We had a thread on his invitation this year.  He's another guy with an odd story, connected to a media outlet in BC that made a big deal about the invitation, who we can probably ignore in terms of whether or not he goes Kurt Warner and goes from bagging groceries at the Overwaitea to RW beside Krejci.

Bingo!!! Agree entirely.....once I took off the brown and gold coloured glasses of course :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

^ That is a nice perk.

I'm a fan of the NCAA guys, but it just seems like there is a concentration of guys that aren't even from the powerhouse conferences.  I know the Ivy/ECAC conference has won some recent championships (lots of seniors that don't leave early...), but the track record of guys making the NHL from these schools isn't very good.  In that group, I see Harvard, Dartmouth, Cornell, Clarkson, Union, etc.  Then you have Sherman and Donato coming into Harvard, O'Gara at Yale, etc.  A lot of prep school/Ivy League types there.  These aren't the NCAA programs that typically pump out NHL players.

Anything 4th round and after is really, percentage wise, a cr@p shoot in getting into the NHL. Florek, Gothberg and Trotman are exceptions if they make it. I don't expect Ferlin to make it but again if he doesn't the Bruins really didn't waste money other than during his stint in Providence.

Ryan Fitzgerald looks like he is poised to tear it up at BC with Alex Tuch and Matt Grzelcyk with Jack Eichel at BU. I think the way PC looks at these players development is the way the NFL looks at it, a free affiliate and not pay the EL contract just yet.

"fawking stuff it up his fawking droors!"

• You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

PC is thinking of untapped pools for draft picks. Kudos for trying. It did work for Detroit in the latter rounds some ten years ago. As stated the risk negligible. Tomas Holmstrom, Johan Franzen were late round picks during the red wing glory years. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728432" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728432" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728432" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728432" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728432

Hey, nite?  I need a good comeback for SanDog, preferably involving him shoving something somewhere uncomfortable or being shoved somewhere uncomfortable on a farm animal.  What ya got?

[object HTMLDivElement]

Umm the only thing I have is the best way to describe sandog is to just think of a Toffee nosed ar se intruding dog fawker. But, he's still a good guy!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't think it's an issue at all that most of the players are not-a-shots when it comes to making the NHL.  They only need 1 or 2 to be a success, and I think there are certainly a handful of players with a good chance.  Griffith and Camera are certainly interesting prospects.  Griffith is really one of those all or nothing guys.  Either a top-6 skill player or a career minor league-er.  Camera could be an intimidating fourth line guy if he can play well enough.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from -Chowda-. Show -Chowda-'s posts

What I find a bit discouraging is that the Bruins had to invite so many guys who aren't in the system to camp just to field a rookie team. 

Why be discouraged ? It's common. 

This year' Hawks rookie camp. Plenty of players not in their system.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=98985" rel="nofollow">http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=98985

Looking around the league and I see the same.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

FA invitees is the norm; having only two defensemen in the system get invited?  I don't think that's the norm, is it? Maybe what I should have said is that it's discouraging that the Bruins only had so few guys in the system to invite?

The part that feels disappointing is that the Bruins have a total of 12 players in the system coming to this camp.  Part of that will be the impact of drafting guys who are still playing NCAA hockey - I don't think they can come to this camp (they have to be signed) and some of it will be prospects timing out/NHL gaming out of eligibility for this camp, and maybe some of it is the Bruins deciding that they'll look at the guys who are closest to making the club at the main camp - no rookie camp necessary.  That last one would explain why no Khokhlachev who has the same amount of Pro experience as Lindblad, Griffith and Camara.  A few recent Euro picks not invited either - Blidh, Bjork and Johanssen.

No Knight is a bit of surprise unless it's a question of eligibility.  It would have been good to see Morrow there since he clearly has some elements of how to play for the Bruins he's still working on.

Hard to compare the Hawks' list because they've gone with a cattle call. They've got more forwards coming to camp than the Bruins have players, and they have 36 guys in the system coming to camp in addition to the invitees.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

FA invitees is the norm; having only two defensemen in the system get invited?  I don't think that's the norm, is it? Maybe what I should have said is that it's discouraging that the Bruins only had so few guys in the system to invite?

The part that feels disappointing is that the Bruins have a total of 12 players in the system coming to this camp.  Part of that will be the impact of drafting guys who are still playing NCAA hockey - I don't think they can come to this camp (they have to be signed) and some of it will be prospects timing out/NHL gaming out of eligibility for this camp, and maybe some of it is the Bruins deciding that they'll look at the guys who are closest to making the club at the main camp - no rookie camp necessary.  That last one would explain why no Khokhlachev who has the same amount of Pro experience as Lindblad, Griffith and Camara.  A few recent Euro picks not invited either - Blidh, Bjork and Johanssen.

No Knight is a bit of surprise unless it's a question of eligibility.  It would have been good to see Morrow there since he clearly has some elements of how to play for the Bruins he's still working on.

Hard to compare the Hawks' list because they've gone with a cattle call. They've got more forwards coming to camp than the Bruins have players, and they have 36 guys in the system coming to camp in addition to the invitees.

I think if you look at all 30 teams you'd see a variety of approaches, so in that sense I don't think there is a norm or standard look to each teams camp and how they populate it.

But I agree, only 12 players from their system for camp is disappointing.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from -Chowda-. Show -Chowda-'s posts

Low numbers from the system are attributed to various reasons. 

I think you've touched on the reasons why quite nicely. ( NCAA drafting, Euros and players who are past the stage of a rookie camp )

Looking at the list of non roster players most are in the professional stages of their careers. Why send them to rookie camp ?  Isn't that a backwards process for some ?

I'm not discouraged by the lack of players in the system not invited. More like encouraged ............ players have bypassed going to a rookie camp because of development progress.

P.S. Go through the defencemen drafted lately and you'll find your only 2 defencemen invited answer.

• Sections
    Shortcuts